Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    if I had to guess, Id say it just will not be played and seeding will be done by win %

It just doesnt seem feasible to play at any point this late in the season.
    Yeah I don't see a replay happening. I would assume they call it a Bengals win since they each had a possession.
    I don't think that would be fair at all. I guess win % makes sense but I'd assume that would take a vote by all teams?

Also I heard people talking of postponing all games this week and then only having 1 week off before the Super Bowl...
    Yeah they would never, ever give the Bengals the win here. Winning percentage is a possibility if they don't make up the game. Hell, during some seasons in the 1920's and 1930's, the teams didn't play the same amount of games and winning percentage determined the NFL champion. So that could maybe work. Postponing a week could be a logistical nightmare. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,622
    MayDay10 said:
    if I had to guess, Id say it just will not be played and seeding will be done by win %

It just doesnt seem feasible to play at any point this late in the season.
    Yeah I don't see a replay happening. I would assume they call it a Bengals win since they each had a possession.
    I don't think that would be fair at all. I guess win % makes sense but I'd assume that would take a vote by all teams?

Also I heard people talking of postponing all games this week and then only having 1 week off before the Super Bowl...
    Yeah they would never, ever give the Bengals the win here. Winning percentage is a possibility if they don't make up the game. Hell, during some seasons in the 1920's and 1930's, the teams didn't play the same amount of games and winning percentage determined the NFL champion. So that could maybe work. Postponing a week could be a logistical nightmare. 
    exactly.  Actually, ties were always considered non-games and not counted in the standings prior to 1972.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    And Communists bench Wentz yet again. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,373
    Riverboat Ron learned his lesson a bit too late.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Both Ron and Carson might be out of the league next year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I can't imagine a team paying Wentz based on what we've seen the past 2 seasons from him, but there are definitely some stupid franchises out there.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    I can't imagine a team paying Wentz based on what we've seen the past 2 seasons from him, but there are definitely some stupid franchises out there.
    There's a lot of free agent qb's this offseason....it'll be tough finding a team who wants him as a backup given his reputation as not a great teammate either. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    Poncier said:
    I tend to think that the front office wanted Wentz to play so they could decide his future.  They don't think Heinecki is the future, so let's get a bead on Wentz. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    I tend to think that the front office wanted Wentz to play so they could decide his future.  They don't think Heinecki is the future, so let's get a bead on Wentz. 
    Horribly run organization. I don't see how one game could give them any new insight over what everyone has seen over the last 5 years.  Looks like they're going with the third stringer this week too. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    Horribly run organization. I don't see how one game could give them any new insight over what everyone has seen over the last 5 years.  Looks like they're going with the third stringer this week too. 
    It is horribly run.  However, I don't think Ron Rivera is a horrible coach, so seeing what's happening leads me to believe it's front office more than him.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe he lost his mind, but I've always thought he was a solid coach.  
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    It is horribly run.  However, I don't think Ron Rivera is a horrible coach, so seeing what's happening leads me to believe it's front office more than him.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe he lost his mind, but I've always thought he was a solid coach.  
    Yeah I don't know man...

https://youtu.be/KlSNWTYAMkc
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    Yeah I don't know man...

Honestly, I thought he was being sarcastic there.  Is it possible he didn't know?  If so, it's time to retire.  

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,491
    I think you need an offensive minded coach in the league today with a good/great D coordinator

McDermott in Buffalo May be the exception 

Rivera is too old school… league has passed him by

• Options
    Hearing that Damar is Intubated.

He was on oxygen right after the hit so I don't know if this is a setback or not?
  • Options
    Hearing that Damar is Intubated.

He was on oxygen right after the hit so I don't know if this is a setback or not?
    He's been intubated since he was admitted to hospital Monday night from what I've read.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,495
    As far as rescheduling the Bengals Bills game, think about the ratings and the ad revenue. Think like Goodell. Knowing the NFL they will find a way to exploit the opportunity and say it is the only fair way and we have the blessing of Damar's family. He would have wanted us to play. In addition, NFL has made a $1m donation to Damar's gift giving charity.  Bills: let's go win this for Damar.  Just a thought.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,225
    wouldn’t they need an entire week to fit in one game? If not, they would be forcing the Bills and Bengals to have two short weeks heading into the playoffs. Or, they move the entire schedule one week forward? The logistics of that… stadiums, travel, television…sound very expensive, just for one game. Not easy to cancel a game, but that might be the only option here, unless they are willing to cancel the Super Bowl bye week and pro bowl…for one game.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Also, if the Bills, KC, and Cincy all win, then Cincinnati has little to play for, just #2 vs #3 seeds and I remember the Bills and Steelers both rested starters a couple seasons ago with those stakes.  Buffalo would be playing for the #1 seed so they would probably go for it.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,495
    wouldn’t they need an entire week to fit in one game? If not, they would be forcing the Bills and Bengals to have two short weeks heading into the playoffs. Or, they move the entire schedule one week forward? The logistics of that… stadiums, travel, television…sound very expensive, just for one game. Not easy to cancel a game, but that might be the only option here, unless they are willing to cancel the Super Bowl bye week and pro bowl…for one game.

Agree it would be a challenge and the schedule probably does not allow then to make it up. I do not think they would move the playoffs, way too much money there. The Bills and Bengals would of course need to agree to a game Tuesday or Wednesday before the playoffs. The other teams probably want to know where they are going by Sunday. Just thinking corporate LOL.
  • Options
    The logistics of all this is part of the reason I think the NFL received unfair criticism the other night. It's definitely unchartered territory. No matter what they do or what happens, there will be a lot of unhappy folks. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,225
    Get_Right said:

Agree it would be a challenge and the schedule probably does not allow then to make it up. I do not think they would move the playoffs, way too much money there. The Bills and Bengals would of course need to agree to a game Tuesday or Wednesday before the playoffs. The other teams probably want to know where they are going by Sunday. Just thinking corporate LOL.

Interesting idea floated, move the AFC playoffs back one week, and play the Bills Cincy game same week as NFC wildcard, and AFC championship could be played during the Super Bowl bye week. Solves many logistical problems, such as not shutting the entire league down right when everyone is excited for playoffs to begin. The huge downside being the AFC champion at a big disadvantage in the Super Bowl playing the NFC champion with an additional week of preparation time and rest.
  • Options
    They can't give one team an extra week to prepare for the Super Bowl.....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    There are drastic disadvantages there.  Would Buffalo and Cincinnati choose to play for seeding in an extra week, while their wild card opponents are resting?  I could see both teams just playing backups, which would make everyone look terrible if the schedule is altered that drastically for a preseason-style game.

The best solution I have seen, is drop the game, and go by win %.  However, give the #1 seed the choice of having the bye or home field.  The #2 seed gets the perk not chosen by #1.  

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,131
    Get_Right said:

I just can't imagine that happening
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,491
    Promising news for sure. 

Glad to hear, it’s pretty remarkable considering how long they worked on him… those first responders are amazing 
  • Options
    I would NOT want to play the Bills this weekend. They are going to be fired up.

• Options
    I would NOT want to play the Bills this weekend. They are going to be fired up.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,231
    Did I hear this correctly, the game will not be made up?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly