Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    I don’t think it was necessarily a “good game,” but I think people are overreacting by calling it the worst ever. It’s like people forget about all the blowouts we used to have back in the day. At least this was close. 

It was still a boring game: NE doing what it had to do to win... and LA not having a clue what to do at all (getting mauled at the line of scrimmage I might add).

There are typically more good games than bad games (especially lately). I can recall San Fran shitcanning Miami, San Diego and Denver in boring blowouts, but their display of awesomeness was fun to watch. Denver got shitcanned by a few opponents come to think of it.
    Denver was banged up 3 times under the Elway Regime and returned the favor in back to back SB wins though.

They were then banged up in the Manning regime against the Seahawks but banged up the Panthers next.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I still wish the Plummer era Broncos would've won one!
  • Options
    I still wish the Plummer era Broncos would've won one!
    Man he was streaky.  When he was on though he was amazing but when he was bad, well, they were bad.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    At least there's some action in the blowouts.  This game was a total dud.  The only thing it had going for it was that it wasn't a comedy of errors.
    So you’d rather a 45-10 game that is over at half time?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I don’t think it was necessarily a “good game,” but I think people are overreacting by calling it the worst ever. It’s like people forget about all the blowouts we used to have back in the day. At least this was close. 
    I agree.
    There was a period where every game was a blowout.  Would rather have a 13-3 game every day for a season finale.
    Now, on a normal Sunday?  I like seeing the action.
    Yeah back in the 80’s and 90’s blowouts we’re almost routine. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    I agree.
    There was a period where every game was a blowout.  Would rather have a 13-3 game every day for a season finale.
    Now, on a normal Sunday?  I like seeing the action.
    Yeah back in the 80’s and 90’s blowouts we’re almost routine. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXfjp4Yls8

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    Hi gang, anything happen yesterday?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    At least there's some action in the blowouts.  This game was a total dud.  The only thing it had going for it was that it wasn't a comedy of errors.

Than yesterday’s game, yes. I’ve seen plenty of good low-scoring games. Yesterday was not one of them.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933

Than yesterday’s game, yes. I’ve seen plenty of good low-scoring games. Yesterday was not one of them.
    Agreed. Yesterday’s game was a bore fest. Gurley who?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

I agree that it was not good. I’m just saying the fact it was close to the end makes it more compelling than a game that is over at halftime. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    That Craig Robinson commercial for Dietz nuts was hilarious, though. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

I agree that it was not good. I’m just saying the fact it was close to the end makes it more compelling than a game that is over at halftime. 
    In most instances I would agree. But other than the pass play to Gronkowski that set up the TD, there wasn’t another single exciting play the entire game. It was a defensive game, sure, but it’s not like the defenses were making spectacular plays either. It didn’t feel like a defensive game, it felt more like a game between one totally inept offense and one mediocre offense.
  • Options
    I guess what I’m saying is it was kind of a de facto defensive game. We have no other choice but to call it that because of the lack of damn near anything happening with the football. Sure, it came down to the end, but I wasn’t exactly on the edge of my seat either.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,244
    Instead of these crappy new onside kick rules

what does everyone think about: instead of kicking, team wanting to onside would try and convert a 4th & 12 from their own 28 yard line?

you convert... you keep the drive going

i hear the nfl is considering this in the near future

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    The real winner?  New Orleans.  

Per the NY TIMES, the city wide NFL boycott had a huge factor in the drop in ratings nationwide.  NOLA is one of the strongest NFL TV viewing markets in the US.  It was by far the least watched Super Bowl in New Orleans history.  Thousands attended the Boycott Bowl festival as well as the Anti-Lie secondline parade.  Bars and restaurants refused to show the game, showing the Saints vs Colts Super Bowl instead.  

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    CROJAM95 said:

what does everyone think about: instead of kicking, team wanting to onside would try and convert a 4th & 12 from their own 28 yard line?

Maybe try it in pre-season...but I'm not for it.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:

I don’t think I am either... but who knows

the current rule makes it nearly impossible to convert

• Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

I don’t think I am either... but who knows

the current rule makes it nearly impossible to convert

That is true.  I never heard why the rules were changed...I am assuming player safety.  I would like to see it tried in the pre-season.  Who knows, maybe it would be interesting.  So I am assuming if you stop the team from converting, you receive the ball at the point of the stop.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472

Per the NY TIMES, the city wide NFL boycott had a huge factor in the drop in ratings nationwide.  NOLA is one of the strongest NFL TV viewing markets in the US.  It was by far the least watched Super Bowl in New Orleans history.  Thousands attended the Boycott Bowl festival as well as the Anti-Lie secondline parade.  Bars and restaurants refused to show the game, showing the Saints vs Colts Super Bowl instead.  

There's basically the same number of people living in the city of L.A. as there are in the state of LA
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,261
    igotid88 said:

There's basically the same number of people living in the city of L.A. as there are in the state of LA
    So what you're really saying is that even though LA got their team back after years of exile, the fans still don't give a damn anyway. Maybe they miss Everett, Ellard and the mean Greene machine.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    CROJAM95 said:

So technically one team could possess the ball for an entire half by always choosing this option after every score? Don't think I'd be up for that.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    CROJAM95 said:

So technically one team could possess the ball for an entire half by always choosing this option after every score? Don't think I'd be up for that.
    4th n 12 with a good pass rush ain’t easy to convert

you mess up, other team is already in FG range

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Just get rid of all the dumb onside kick rules they put in place in 2018.  Those are what is making it damn near impossible to convert.  The rules are practically designed to give the kicking team 0 chance to recover the ball.
    4th & 12 is fucking STUPID!!!
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    CROJAM95 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    CROJAM95 said:

If they don't have a good pass rush, they may never see that ball again.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    this one is for the Juggler.  was curious myself on what the numbers would show.  decide for yourself what these numbers mean.  

*note these were calculated going through play-by-play sheets so i can't guarantee a number or two is not off.

so i went through all of the Pats scoring drives in their Super Bowl's under Brady.  and wait for it, their average scoring drives are 70% Pass and 30% Run.  Interesting thing is the TD vs FG ratio is almost exactly the same with TDs being 70.5% and FGs being 69%.

even if you take the Atlanta game as being an outlier because of the large deficit their scoring drive pass % only goes down to 65%.
    if you take out the last FG drive of this weeks game which was 8 runs and no passes their pass % goes up to 72%
    they'v had 5 scoring drives where they ran the ball 0 times and 8 scoring drives where they ran the ball only 1 time. so on 65% of their scoring drives they've run the ball 1 or less times.

here are the drive by drive numbers
    2001:
    td 3 pass 2 run
    fg 2 pass 2 run
    fg 8 pass 0 run

2003:
    td 1 pass 3 run
    fg 6 pass 0 run
    td 5 pass 5 run
    td 8 pass 3 run
    td 6 pass 0 run

td 6 pass 1 run
    td 6 pass 2 run
    td 1 pass 4 run
    fg 2 pass 5 run

td 8 pass 5 run
    td 11 pass 1 run

fg 5 pass 4 run
    td 11 pass 4 run
    td 5 pass 3 run

td 7 pass 2 run
    td 6 pass 2 run
    td 8 pass 1 run
    td 9 pass 2 run

fg 9 pass 6 run
    fg 9 pass 1 run
    td 7 pass 6 run
    fg 10 pass 1 run
    td 5 pass 0 run
    td 9 pass 1 run
    td 7 pass 2 run

fg 7 pass 2 run
    fg 4 pass 0 run
    td 4 pass 4 run
    td 6 pass 2 run
    td 4 pass 4 run
    td 6 pass 4 run

fg 5 pass 1 run
    td 4 pass 1 run
    fg 0 pass 8 run
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Then all you have to do is play prevent defense.  It's almost like defending a Hail Mary and you pretty much know what's coming.

Also 4th and 12 by any analytics stat would be an automatic punt from your own 28.

It's interesting but not very exciting.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    CROJAM95 said:

4th and 12? From what part of the field? How is the down and distance determined?

i hate the new rule. I think they changed it to prevent injuries but I have a hard time remembering a lot of injuries under the previous rule...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    CROJAM95 said:

4th and 12? From what part of the field? How is the down and distance determined?

i hate the new rule. I think they changed it to prevent injuries but I have a hard time remembering a lot of injuries under the previous rule...
    You don't remember the "wedge"?

Most injuries were occurring from that one.  Locking arms and such, lol.