The National Football League

Comments

• But there are 100 million nfl fans.
  • igotid88 wrote: »
    marjen wrote: »
    So I had this crazy dream last night, that David Tyree made this crazy catch for the Seahawks with a minute left in the game and then the Seahawks tried to throw the ball from the 1 yd line even though they had Lynch in the backfield? Wait something along those lines actually happened?!

That was an insane ending to a great game. I had horrible flashbacks to the the 2 NYG superbowls on that catch. Was trying to wrap my brain around how a team could lose 3 superbowls because of a 1 in a million catch. And then the Butler did it! What a play, one of the greatest plays in SB history. I expect to watch that play about 500 times today. A little hung over, but damn I am still pumped.

Those were 2 good throws and catches. Not the same as that Seahawks catch

The Tyree play was extremely similar. Take off your Eli Manning jersey and try looking at things objectively for once dude

I disagree. They're a little similar in the "holy shit, did that really just happen?" factor. But Tyree's catch was a great play. He caught a pass with a guy hanging all over him. People talk about it like he had stick-um on his helmet. He didn't. He just out-muscled Rodney Harrison. Last night's play was a lucky ricochet.

I agree that he out muscled Harrison...but he used his helmet to hold it! And I think the whole play itself had a certain amount of luck involved. Eli was dead in the water in the pocket. He makes a miraculous escape to elude a sack and heaves it up to Tyree. Eli is not necessarily known as Mr Elusive in the pocket. And of course both came in the waning moments of the 4th with the game on the line. I think if Seattle won, those two plays would be linked together forever.

I agree that they'd be linked together. Hell, the Tyree catch is linked with Manningham catch when the there's nothing at all lucky about the Manningham one. It was just Eli making one of the great throws of all-time. But as for Tyree, I don't get why you say "he used his helmet to hold it." That's all he could have done. And that's harder than simply using your hands. I dunno. I just don't think anything about it was lucky on Tyree's end. Even Eli's escape wasn't lucky. Trust me, I know he's not Mr. Elusive. But in the biggest situations, shouldn't making plays you don't normally make be complimented instead of being dismissed as lucky? I think so.

One thing though....there did appear to be some offensive holds by the Giants on that play that weren't called. So if I'm gonna concede anything about that play as being "lucky", that's what I'll concede. But the worst are the people that say Eli should have been called "down in the grasp." FUCK THAT. Tackle the man. But yeah....there might have been some holds.

Dude, the juggler may be right. EVERYTHING about Eli/David Tyree was lucky.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Jason P wrote: »
    Johnny Football is entering rehab. Hopefully he gets the help he needs and is actually seeking it.

I think his problem is more of an attitude issue than addiction, but it can't hurt.

"See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    edited February 2015
    igotid88 wrote: »
    So I had this crazy dream last night, that David Tyree made this crazy catch for the Seahawks with a minute left in the game and then the Seahawks tried to throw the ball from the 1 yd line even though they had Lynch in the backfield? Wait something along those lines actually happened?!

That was an insane ending to a great game. I had horrible flashbacks to the the 2 NYG superbowls on that catch. Was trying to wrap my brain around how a team could lose 3 superbowls because of a 1 in a million catch. And then the Butler did it! What a play, one of the greatest plays in SB history. I expect to watch that play about 500 times today. A little hung over, but damn I am still pumped.

The Tyree play was extremely similar. Take off your Eli Manning jersey and try looking at things objectively for once dude

I disagree. They're a little similar in the "holy shit, did that really just happen?" factor. But Tyree's catch was a great play. He caught a pass with a guy hanging all over him. People talk about it like he had stick-um on his helmet. He didn't. He just out-muscled Rodney Harrison. Last night's play was a lucky ricochet.

I agree that he out muscled Harrison...but he used his helmet to hold it! And I think the whole play itself had a certain amount of luck involved. Eli was dead in the water in the pocket. He makes a miraculous escape to elude a sack and heaves it up to Tyree. Eli is not necessarily known as Mr Elusive in the pocket. And of course both came in the waning moments of the 4th with the game on the line. I think if Seattle won, those two plays would be linked together forever.

I agree that they'd be linked together. Hell, the Tyree catch is linked with Manningham catch when the there's nothing at all lucky about the Manningham one. It was just Eli making one of the great throws of all-time. But as for Tyree, I don't get why you say "he used his helmet to hold it." That's all he could have done. And that's harder than simply using your hands. I dunno. I just don't think anything about it was lucky on Tyree's end. Even Eli's escape wasn't lucky. Trust me, I know he's not Mr. Elusive. But in the biggest situations, shouldn't making plays you don't normally make be complimented instead of being dismissed as lucky? I think so.

One thing though....there did appear to be some offensive holds by the Giants on that play that weren't called. So if I'm gonna concede anything about that play as being "lucky", that's what I'll concede. But the worst are the people that say Eli should have been called "down in the grasp." FUCK THAT. Tackle the man. But yeah....there might have been some holds.

Dude, the juggler may be right. EVERYTHING about Eli/David Tyree was lucky.

Whoa I never thought about it like that! See I thought it was a great play. Like the ball was in the air and Tyree could have made play and so could have Harrison....and it was Tyree that made it. But the way you capitalized "EVERYTHING" makes me rethink the way I've thought about this play over the last seven years.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Eli/Tyree in my opinion is certainly a lucky play. (Not as lucky however as that catch last night!) They showed the Giants play over and over yesterday and there was not 1 time where I didn't feel it was lucky as could be. Makes me want to capitalize it too.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Eli/Tyree in my opinion is certainly a lucky play. (Not as lucky however as that catch last night!) They showed the Giants play over and over yesterday and there was not 1 time where I didn't feel it was lucky as could be. Makes me want to capitalize it too.

Well to each their own I guess. It's totally subjective. I can see the elements of the play that some might call "lucky". But the actual catch? I'd call it "hard" or "difficult" before I'd call it "lucky." But enough about Tyree's catch. Let's get back to that disastrous final sequence for Seattle. It was like a bad play I'd make in Madden. "I bet a slant will work here!" And then I get picked off. Also, that was a great play by Butler. Not every DB, even one that knew the play was coming, would have reacted fast enough to make a play. And ya gotta catch it. He he collides with the receiver and doesn't make the catch. Then it's third down and things could have been very different.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

Well to each their own I guess. It's totally subjective. I can see the elements of the play that some might call "lucky". But the actual catch? I'd call it "hard" or "difficult" before I'd call it "lucky." But enough about Tyree's catch. Let's get back to that disastrous final sequence for Seattle. It was like a bad play I'd make in Madden. "I bet a slant will work here!" And then I get picked off. Also, that was a great play by Butler. Not every DB, even one that knew the play was coming, would have reacted fast enough to make a play. And ya gotta catch it. He he collides with the receiver and doesn't make the catch. Then it's third down and things could have been very different.

Agree and like the comparison to a bad play call made by a gamer.
  • Yes, it was a great play. But is Eli known for his elusiveness? He should have been sacked but NE made him look like Randall Cunningham on that play. Is Tyree even in the league anymore? He was, at the time, the unknown hero like NE cb Butler was last night. Right?

Agree and like the comparison to a bad play call made by a gamer.

And that plays right into carrols decision to "waste" a play.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    edited February 2015
    Yes, it was a great play. But is Eli known for his elusiveness? He should have been sacked but NE made him look like Randall Cunningham on that play. Is Tyree even in the league anymore? He was, at the time, the unknown hero like NE cb Butler was last night. Right?

As a Bills fan, surely this play was on your mind when typing out that post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MeycJbMIAw

hey oh
    www.myspace.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    too_soon__-_imgur.0.gif
  • Funny I didnt know what play that was going to be but a few seconds in I remembered it. That was Brucie he was escaping from to make it even more impressive. Nice!
  • Yes, it was a great play. But is Eli known for his elusiveness? He should have been sacked but NE made him look like Randall Cunningham on that play. Is Tyree even in the league anymore? He was, at the time, the unknown hero like NE cb Butler was last night. Right?

hey oh

Wow, where did you find that? Every time I include Randall Cunningham in a post comparing quarterbacks, that's the play I think of.
  • I'm off work cause of the snow. I turn on ESPN the day after a great Super Bowl, and they're talking about Johnny Manziel. For fuck's sake. And what type of rehab is this anyway? Is for substance abuse? Or is there a support group for loser Browns quarterbacks?

Manziel:
    "Hi my name is Johnny and I play QB for the Browns"

Tim Couch, Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, and Brandon Weeden in unison:
    "Hi Johnny!"

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Yes, it was a great play. But is Eli known for his elusiveness? He should have been sacked but NE made him look like Randall Cunningham on that play. Is Tyree even in the league anymore? He was, at the time, the unknown hero like NE cb Butler was last night. Right?

hey oh

Wow, where did you find that? Every time I include Randall Cunningham in a post comparing quarterbacks, that's the play I think of.

He was my favorite player growing up. Remember that play like it was yesterday!
    www.myspace.com
  • I'm off work cause of the snow. I turn on ESPN the day after a great Super Bowl, and they're talking about Johnny Manziel. For fuck's sake. And what type of rehab is this anyway? Is for substance abuse? Or is there a support group for loser Browns quarterbacks?

Manziel:

Tim Couch, Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, and Brandon Weeden in unison:
    "Hi Johnny!"

Don't forget the rest of the gang!
    Colt McCoy
    Kelly Holcomb
    Doug Pederson
    Jason Campbell
    Seneca Wallace
  • Johnny football should give his publicist a raise.

Manziel:

"Hi Johnny!"

Don't forget the rest of the gang!
    Colt McCoy
    Kelly Holcomb
    Doug Pederson
    Jason Campbell
    Seneca Wallace

A motley crew to say the least

1335791396-browns-qb-jersey.jpg

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    I was the only NE fan at the party I attended.....more anti-Seabags, actually.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote: »

We're people more interested in the game or the commercials?
    www.myspace.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672

hey oh

I remember that game. The Bills had a 24 point 1st quarter and sacked Cunningham like 7 times. That play was like half their passing yards. That play is all anyone will remember from that though. Fantastic play.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    25% believed God caused the outcome of the game
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote: »

The other 75 thought it was Eli manning.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    imalive wrote: »

We're people more interested in the game or the commercials?

the game.....altho I did shhhhhhh everyone when the Bud commercial came on.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

Only if God turns out to be The Dark Lord Sauron
  • Bonami Jones? On around the horn made a good point. I'm paraphrasing: "you can't confuse a calculated risk like throwing with 6 seconds left in the first half with just plain stupidity like not running the ball at the end of the game."
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133

You're right. Those involved a lot of skill on the part of the receivers. The Kearse catch was dumb luck. Butler broke up the play and then the ball dropped down right onto Kearse.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Last night's game is the highest-rated Super Bowl in the history of the game. I don't think that's because of the commercials...
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Yefa wrote: »
    Last night's game is the highest-rated Super Bowl in the history of the game. I don't think that's because of the commercials...

This game used to be nothing but blow outs. 6 of the last 8 have been decided by less than 7 points. The game is actually good.
  • It really was an incredible catch by that kid butler. Defensive backs are defensive backs because they are either to short and/or they can't catch a cold, let alone a pass.

9 times out of 10 that is an incomplete pass and it's 3rd and goal from the 1. Play of a lifetime for that kid. I doubt we ever really hear his name again.