The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Everybody must be busy drinking at Christmas parties, etc. This place is a bit quiet!

Well... I think I'll still hang around and have a well deserved drink.

Got ahead of myself with 'festive' food preparations- made the stuffing, boned both legs of lamb, stuffed and tied one and cubed the other which is now dry marinating in gorgeous spices for the tajine. Made the winter ice bombe for Wednesday already, the caramel & pecan sauce ready to pour over the yumminess of tomorrow's breakfast and also made the cranberry and orange sauce for tomorrow and the cranberry one for Tuesday. Damn... I'm so organised!

After all of that, I'm knackered!

So drink... stiff one or one to dwell upon? Hmmmmm....
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Aw man, between this thread and brian's other happy one...really nice to see the warmth here.

I'm living vicariously through the scents you've all described - planning on being in that same place tomorrow.

(although...what to cook, what to cook? I envy your organization, redrock!)

Today we are just hanging out, the two of us amidst music, snacks, warm sleepy cats, and some fine-ass green 8-)
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    Spending a lazy day before the craziness of cooking and family ensues tomorrow. Think I'll indulge in a couple of glasses of wine while I cook dinner. Happy festivus to you all!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    Not usually that organised Hedonist. Got up early to drive my daughter to the animal shelter where she volunteers and it wasn't worth going back to bed. Figured if I could get ahead, I will have a more relaxing next 3 days.

I did have a little nap with 4 of the 6 cats and it felt wonderful!

Riotgrl - a few glasses of wine whilst preparing such feasts are a must :mrgreen: !
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,604
    Sounds like everyone's getting ready to have a good time. :D

Several of the extended family kids and grand kids are coming over tomorrow for brunch and presents for the kids.

On Christmas day the two of us are either going to bundle up and go the beach with a picnic basket and a bottle of wine and watch the waves and the shore birds (my wife's idea) or stay home and be toasty warm and enjoy the food and wine right here (my idea). I'm sort of ok with going to the coast but, seriously, which would you vote for? :|:lol:

But for now, since I've got today off , I think I'll go make another cup of coffee and add some Bailey's... just to warm the belly, of course. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux wrote:

Several of the extended family kids and grand kids are coming over tomorrow for brunch and presents for the kids.

On Christmas day the two of us are either going to bundle up and go the beach with a picnic basket and a bottle of wine and watch the waves and the shore birds (my wife's idea) or stay home and be toasty warm and enjoy the food and wine right here (my idea). I'm sort of ok with going to the coast but, seriously, which would you vote for? :|:lol:

But for now, since I've got today off , I think I'll go make another cup of coffee and add some Bailey's... just to warm the belly, of course. :D

As long as you're with your loved one, you'll be warm and toasty wherever you are. Whatever you decide, enjoy!
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    brianlux wrote:

As long as you're with your loved one, you'll be warm and toasty wherever you are. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Well said my friend! :thumbup:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I love the ocean - I could go for that ;)

It's just the the three of us over the festivities - looking forward to it.

Brian, I've been having my coffee with brandy cream instead of milk, even the morning :oops: ones
    brianlux wrote:

Do both! Picnic and wine for lunch and toasty warm and more wine for dinner :)

I AM MINE
    redrock wrote:
    Not usually that organised Hedonist. Got up early to drive my daughter to the animal shelter where she volunteers and it wasn't worth going back to bed. Figured if I could get ahead, I will have a more relaxing next 3 days.

I did have a little nap with 4 of the 6 cats and it felt wonderful!

Riotgrl - a few glasses of wine whilst preparing such feasts are a must :mrgreen: !

This is only a mini feast so I won't be too bad :) Although, I am recovered from my nasty cold and I am off from work until the 4th so I think I will indulge quite often :o:lol:

I AM MINE
    riotgrl wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Do both! Picnic and wine for lunch and toasty warm and more wine for dinner :)

Good idea! :thumbup:

I think we put a lot of Marsala in the tiramisu... :oops:

Still have a drop to drink though! Cheers!
    We had some family members over this morning for brunch and my wife INSISTED on making mimosa's to go with the food. Well, I never drink before noon. I mean... :lol:never... but, you know... :lol: oh, what the heck!

Having fun! Hope you all are too! :D

• Happy Holidays!

It's a shame I have to spend the night alone!

Oh well, Mozart will keep me company :D
    Happy Holidays!

Sorry to hear that. Keep checking in here- we'll keep you amused! :D

Happy Holidays!

When with Mozart, you're never alone. What a bastion of music and voices!

(just don't get drunk/wasted in a candle-lit room and blast Dies Irae...trust me :P )

I hope you and our fellow passengers have a great evening.
  • Mozart...

Playing some Pearl Jam and also learning bass parts to about half a dozen APC songs
    Mozart...

Playing some Pearl Jam and also learning bass parts to about half a dozen APC songs

Is "Wolfy" treating you well, this evening? Hope so!

PJ, we know, is always good! :D

• brianlux wrote:
    Mozart...

Wolfy was a badass mofo... incredible stuff... he and Bach are my favorites in classical
    brianlux wrote:
    Mozart...

Wolfy was a badass mofo... incredible stuff... he and Bach are my favorites in classical

Yeah, I like those dudes too. And a little Charles Ives when I want to tweak my brain a little!

I get you all. And still, I'm seeing the glass as more than half-full.

Sure it takes effort to do so and I've said fuck it more than once.

Not sure what I'm trying to say here.

I guess...have a beautiful day where you (will) find it.
  • Fire's on...just opened a bottle of cabernet...hopefully I'll still be awake when Zoso gets home :oops: :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Happy New Year to the best thread on AMT!

Dogfish Bitches Brew up first.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    A toast to 2013! Peace, light and happiness to all.

Thank you for a year of online/real life friendships and looking forward to another one.

Cheers!
    :)
    Spent a lovely, sunny afternoon in Kew Gardens - wonderful botanical gardens in my part of the world.

Now one more 'posh' meal for the first day of the year then my digestive system can have a rest.

In the meantime, a drink to start - bartender.. surprise me! Just nothing with whiskey.
    Looking forward to the new year and hope it's a good one for you all. Keep in touch, friends. It's been a great ride.

• Every train needs a lounge car.....and its a bonus to have a Caboose! Ill trade you some soup for a bottle of vodka! I will also give you a breakfast on me!
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
    Only non-alcoholic drinks or cocktails for a while...

What are you proposing?

Edit: I've had this... Lovely!!!

1 measure of lime cordial
    1 measure elderflower cordial
    3 drops orange blossom water (or a drop or two more if you want)
    250 ml ice cold soda water.
    Serve in champagne flutes over ice
  • brianlux wrote:
    Looking forward to the new year and hope it's a good one for you all. Keep in touch, friends. It's been a great ride.

Well, I curbed my drinking since October... Rum is too readily available in sunny Florida. But I need a drink today, its been a crazy one so far. :mrgreen:

Brian, still hiding out until the dust settles on the train?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)