R.E.M.

124»

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,719
    Great interview. I was lucky to see them many times in their prime. I have Reckoning on IRS vinyl.
  • We All BelieveWe All Believe Posts: 581
    Get_Right said:
    Great interview. I was lucky to see them many times in their prime. I have Reckoning on IRS vinyl.
    Felt bad for Bill, but if he's healthy and happy, that's what counts.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    It's so cool to see the four of them together!  I wish we could see the whole interview instead of the one edited for people with attention spans that are limited to 5 seconds.

I have so much respect for those four people.  Great musician/songwriters and really fine human beings.  They deserve all those accolades!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,680
    Get_Right said:
    I got choked up when he answered that question. 
    Get_Right said:

Same here! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited June 14
    WHOA!  Appears they actually played together last night!

Post edited by brianlux on

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,788
    Whoa! I’m sure it was amazing.

Finally watched the interview. Bill Berry’s answer also choked me up, and was surprising.

What a band.
    First time these four have played together in (I think this is right) 17 years!

• Cool to see.  But likelyhood of any more seems incredibly small from interviews they’ve given this week.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Forget touring, but wouldn't it be cool if they recorded one final album with Bill Berry.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • WreckageWreckage Posts: 56
    One of the best named tribute acts I have ever seen advertised - ‘Are We Them?’ - love it!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    Get_Right said:
    I can't watch the clip being in canada, it's blocked. what was the question/answer?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    Watchmen tagging REM's Superman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwRiwQKavh4
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    Get_Right said:
    I can't watch the clip being in canada, it's blocked. what was the question/answer?
    Anthony asks if they had any second thoughts about walking away. They all quickly say no. Then he asks Bill directly. Bill says "of course I did" and breaks down a little as he starts taking about that time.
    LB260405 said:

Ohhh, man!  That was so good!  Thank you for posting it! Loved every minute of it.

I was hugely impressed by Mike saying, "You can do this business with integrity, and you can look at yourself in the mirror and still feel good."  That's REM in a nutshell.  I love this band!

Picked up a copy of this 12" Maxi-Single (don'tcha just love Maxi-Singles!) today.  Nice fat 45 RPM grooves really bring out the two tunes from the full release.  The live cuts are a bit rough, but Michael's voice on "Gardening at Night" is pure sweetness.  The man had the voice of an angel!

R.E.M. – (Don't Go Back To) Rockville

REM - Dont Go Back To Rockville album cover
    Label:I.R.S. Records – A 12.4734, I.R.S. Records – ILSA 12.4734, I.R.S. Records – ILSA 12-4734
    Format:
    Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Maxi-Single, Blue Sleeve
    Released:1984
    Genre:Rock
    Style:Alternative Rock, Folk Rock

A1
    (Don't Go Back To) Rockville3:52
    A2
    Wolves4:08
    B1
    9-9 (Live Version)3:02
    B2
    Gardening At Night (Live Version)4:33

Nice pick up, I still have my original pressing of Reckoning on IRS vinyl.  In a box somewhere.
    Get_Right said:
    Nice pick up, I still have my original pressing of Reckoning on IRS vinyl.  In a box somewhere.

Reckoning is such a great album!  One of my favorites!

That is when I got hooked.  Saw them open for the Police twice on that tour. Stipe would barely look at the audience and hid under his hair.
    Get_Right said:
    That is when I got hooked.  Saw them open for the Police twice on that tour. Stipe would barely look at the audience and hid under his hair.

Nice!  I'll bet that was a great show!

I saw them in November 1983.  Also on the bill was Let's Active.  And toward the end of the set Michael called out Andy Gil and John King from Gang of Four to play a couple of songs with them, and then Eric Martin from The Neats sat in with them.  
    Same thing with Michael hiding behind his hair.  He also leaned on the mic stand big-time throughout the show as though he would crumple to the ground if he let go.  But they were great.  
    I learned later the Steve Wynn from The Dream Syndicate was in the crowd that night as well.  Good times!