R.E.M.

13»

Comments

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
    edited October 2022
    JH6056 said:
    Thanks for sharing!  You never know, maybe they show up!

I attended the Georgia theater fundraiser at the Fox right before the pandemic. 3/4 of R.E.M. reunited, playing 3 tunes and a smattering of older Athens band stuff (like Pylon). Mills sang Texarkana!
    You are so incredibly lucky to have been there for that! Love Texarcana, was just listening to that album very recently...

Do you remember what REM songs they played other than Texarcana?

Kevin Kinney (Drivin’ N Cryin’) sang for them on One I Love and Fall on Me.

Texarkana: https://youtu.be/nUCaxfV6pg4
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    ^^ So cool!

Bill Berry is in a new Athens band! The Bad Ends! Need to check that out.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Bill Berry is in a new Athens band! The Bad Ends! Need to check that out.
    Really?? That's so cool! In a lot of ways he was my favorite member of REM. I'd love to see him behind the drumkit again!
  • joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 301
    UP reissue is available 
  • Nice. Be preordering that one.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I've been listening to a fair amount of R.E.M. lately.  Sometimes I'll go several months without listening to them because that's just a thing that happen when you've been following a band for 40 years, but I always go back to them and sometimes those long breaks bring a fresh perspective to my ears.  As much as I love Murmur and recognize it's timelessness and it's impact on music, I think in the long run I'd have to list Life's Rich Pageant as my favorite.  To my ears, it's simply a most amazing record!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    brianlux said:
    I've been listening to a fair amount of R.E.M. lately.  Sometimes I'll go several months without listening to them because that's just a thing that happen when you've been following a band for 40 years, but I always go back to them and sometimes those long breaks bring a fresh perspective to my ears.  As much as I love Murmur and recognize it's timelessness and it's impact on music, I think in the long run I'd have to list Life's Rich Pageant as my favorite.  To my ears, it's simply a most amazing record!
    I am right with you there on Life's Rich Pageant, it is my go to album from R.E.M. 
  • Same here! My favorite album. First four tracks are killer.
    brianlux said:
    I am right with you there on Life's Rich Pageant, it is my go to album from R.E.M. 
    Sweet!
    Same here! My favorite album. First four tracks are killer.

And sweet again!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    New Adventures In Hi-Fi!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
    New Adventures In Hi-Fi!

I have a weird love/ not love (no hate at all for R.E.M.!) feeling about New Adventures in Hi-Fi.  Pretty much either love some the songs or don't care at all for for the rest.  No bad songs,of course, just some that don't resonate for me.  
    That's the last R.E.M. LP I kept.  I have everything up to that point but after that, I let the rest go (except the Baseball Project albums which are 1/2 of R.E.M.- 3/5 if you include Scott McCaughey- and I love that those).  I keep hoping the later R.E.M. stuff will click for me someday! 

• Not a popular opinion, but I love Accelerate and I enjoy Collapse Into Now.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Not a popular opinion, but I love Accelerate and I enjoy Collapse Into Now.
    I still think Collapse Into Now is one of their best albums.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)

goldrush said:

Sounds like I need to give another listen!

• goldrush said:
    Not a popular opinion but I love Up 
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Accelerate and Collapse Into Now are good late-career albums. Up, Reveal, and Around the Sun have a couple of good songs on each but are mostly forgettable and the only albums I don't own on vinyl. 
  • Around the Sun is really the only album I can’t get behind. Oddly though, the some of the songs from that album were quite good live. Makes me wonder what the studio atmosphere was like, because that album felt a bit lifeless to me.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    great new interview with Michael came out at the back end of last year, it was a pretty long but really interesting read

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/03/magazine/michael-stipe-solo-album.html
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    goldrush said:
    Not a popular opinion but I love Up 
    I’m right there with you. Up is actually my favorite REM album. Accelerate is up there too. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

Wow!  First time all four together on a stage in almost 17 years.  Where does the time go?!

Ugh. I thought about tickets to this. Course I would have been stuck home sick.

So cool. 40 Watt is a great place.
    Ugh. I thought about tickets to this. Course I would have been stuck home sick.

So cool. 40 Watt is a great place.

Is that name connected in anyway to the band, 40 Watt Moon? 

edited February 11
    Hmm, I’m not sure. The sign at the back of the stage is literally a hanging 40 watt light bulb painted on wood.

Edit: Okay, here is the info! First related to the Athens band Pylon.

https://www.40watt.com/venue/

Ever go to Athens, try it out! Highly recommend the Drive By Truckers Homecoming shows every February or March.
    Hmm, I’m not sure. The sign at the back of the stage is literally a hanging 40 watt light bulb painted on wood.

Edit: Okay, here is the info! First related to the Athens band Pylon.

https://www.40watt.com/venue/

Ever go to Athens, try it out! Highly recommend the Drive By Truckers Homecoming shows every February or March.

Very cool connection there to Pylon! 
    I don't travel much these day, but if I were ever to go to Athens, I would check it out!  I would love to have been able to spend time back in the early to mid 80s in places like Athens, GA and Winston Salem NC, etc., and check out all those cool early 80's bands like early R.E.M., Pylon, Let's Active, The dBs, etc.  That was a time and place rich in great music! 

Not quite R.E.M.. but at least half anyway.  Here's a cool song from a group attributed to The Minus 5.  But is it?  I don't think so.  No Steve Wynn.  Linda Pitmon on drums has never been an official member.  Neither has R.E.M. bassist Mike Mill seen here.  But in any case, what the heck, we do have Buck, Mills, and R.E.M. adjunct member Scott McCaughey here, and it's a great tune!

• BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,004
    I was a bigger R.E.M. fan when I was younger. 
    I sort of lost interest in them as I got older. I recently went back and started listening to them again.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Man they need to open up the live vaults and give us some Pageantry era boots!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford