Comments

• Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    Pono 
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,626
    Update!
    Got back from out of town and was able to inspect the Benny again tonight

So it seems that there isn’t a manual tear in the shrink wrap but, rather someone cut it with a blade or a box cutter.  I tried to angle the camera best I could to appreciate.  Looks like they also cut into the actual number a bit if you look closely

Was so hard to notice before because it was a perfect linear cut
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,084
    demetrios said:
    I read this book on vacation, if you ever wonder why a CD pressed on vinyl is pointless just read this book. NY explains it perfectly in the first three chapters. Anyone who wants to argue “digital is better”, give them this book as a gift lol.
    I've wondered this too.  Especially with PJ and having released so much stuff in HD FLAC.   It'd be prime for high quality record bootlegs.

I've always wondered. Isn't it possible to clone a record?  Say you wanted to make a mint.  You spring $2000usd for a mint Benaroya, then press a few thousand copies from the analog record (somehow using it as the master, or trying to make a master from it)?

I guess bootleggers go for the easy, but if they put some effort into it, they could do impressive things.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    Update!

So it seems that there isn’t a manual tear in the shrink wrap but, rather someone cut it with a blade or a box cutter.  I tried to angle the camera best I could to appreciate.  Looks like they also cut into the actual number a bit if you look closely

OK, I thought I saw a tear in it when you first showed it.  This proves there is one.

Yes the cut them and then hand wrote a number. ..2000 times, lol.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    Update!

Happy for you. Seems legit sealed (if that was important to you). Makes me want to go check mine to see if there's any "damage" to the box!
  • Options
    I HAD #405 until I sold it for $1.5k to buy the complete set of 2000 boots.

I've had some regrets in my life, but oh boy, that was one of the biggest.

Maybe when I have those Bezos $$ I'll buy it back...

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,339
    If I had a vinyl copy of this record set and someone was willing to pay me $1500 for it, I'd sell it without hesitation or regret. 'Be healthy everyone
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,696
    Zod said:
    demetrios said:
    I read this book on vacation, if you ever wonder why a CD pressed on vinyl is pointless just read this book. NY explains it perfectly in the first three chapters. Anyone who wants to argue “digital is better”, give them this book as a gift lol.
    I've wondered this too.  Especially with PJ and having released so much stuff in HD FLAC.   It'd be prime for high quality record bootlegs.

I've always wondered. Isn't it possible to clone a record?  Say you wanted to make a mint.  You spring $2000usd for a mint Benaroya, then press a few thousand copies from the analog record (somehow using it as the master, or trying to make a master from it)?

I guess bootleggers go for the easy, but if they put some effort into it, they could do impressive things.

It's funny they are able to take the time to press vinyl. Package vinyl. Produce vinyl. But when it comes to the audio sources used to make the vinyl, they don't inspect, test the audio quality used to make the vinyl. There are ALOT of 24 Bit HD Flac's out there. Surprised they don't use this media for their vinyl pressings.

I have yet seen a bootleg vinyl release of any of Pearl Jam's 2012 to 2018 shows that have been released in 24 Bit Flac-HD. Imagine having a vinyl manufacturing planet & print shop all to your finger tips? I would press ALL Pearl Jam's 2012 & 2018 shows on vinyl, using the 24 Flac-HD's audio.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I cringe when I see some sets on eBay that are in rough shape.  I wonder how many have been pretty much destroyed.  I saw one set without a box once.  Saw another with massive water damage. 
    Oh man. 

• Options
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • Options

Sweet! Welcome to the club!
  • Options
    TenaciousLibbsTenaciousLibbs Los Angeles, CA Posts: 59
    Can't believe I missed this thread for like... ten years.  Please add me!  I am #682..... bought from the original onsale when I was an intern working for Rolling Stone Magazine in NYC.  It's still in shrink wrap and I can't imagine that I'll EVER sell it  :)
    2000: 10/28 San Bernardino
    2003: 4/29 Albany, 6/02 Irvine, 6/03 Irvine, 6/05 San Diego, 6/07 Phoenix, 10/28 Santa Barbara
    2006: 7/07 San Diego, 7/09 Los Angeles, 7/10 Los Angeles, 7/13 Santa Barbara
    2009: 9/30 Universal City, 10/01 Universal City, 10/06 Universal City, 10/07 Universal City, 10/09 San Diego
    2010: 5/17 Boston
    2011: 9/03 East Troy, 9/04 East Troy
    2013: 7/19 Wrigley Field, 10/18 Brooklyn, 11/23 Los Angeles, 11/24 Los Angeles
    2016: 5/01 New York, 5/02 New York, 8/07 Fenway Park, 11/14 (TOTD) Los Angeles
    2021: 9/26 Ohana, 10/1 Ohana, 10/2 Ohana
    2022: 5/06 Los Angeles, 5/07 Los Angeles
  • Options
    jgmochjgmoch Fayetteville, NC Posts: 79
    Can someone tell me how many of these green-label promos were printed? It's still sealed from 2004. Understandably, I've entered the wrong discussion with these inferior digital LPs. But I was hoping an expert might be able to give me more info.

Temple_Of_Belltown
  • Options
    Please add me to the list when time permits.

and 

Pop 13 - Pop up shop in 2013

Thank you. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    KO176001 said:
    Please add me to the list when time permits.

and 

Pop 13 - Pop up shop in 2013

Thank you. 
    And!?!?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    That's it for the benny. Been lucky with some timing and a find. 
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,501
    jgmoch said:
    Can someone tell me how many of these green-label promos were printed? It's still sealed from 2004. Understandably, I've entered the wrong discussion with these inferior digital LPs. But I was hoping an expert might be able to give me more info.

@pdalowsky
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    jgmoch said:

Probably quite a few. I have found multiple ones in the used bins through the years. Actually found a sealed one fairly recently. You can get them on Discogs fairly cheap maybe $15.
  • Options
    jgmochjgmoch Fayetteville, NC Posts: 79
    MedozK said:
    jgmoch said:

Probably quite a few. I have found multiple ones in the used bins through the years. Actually found a sealed one fairly recently. You can get them on Discogs fairly cheap maybe $15.
    Thank you for the reply and the info. I appreciate it. I figured somebody on this thread would have some good info.Thank you, @MedozK.
    Temple_Of_Belltown
  • Options
    jgmoch said:

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=264
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,153
    edited October 2021

Please put me down for 286, PMC 005, and "Tunecore 2020"
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,821
    edited October 2021
    SHZA said:

S., you never cease to amaze me  ;)
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    SHZA said:

Damn what a score!!!
  • Options
    SHZA said:

• Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    edited October 2021
    Zod said:
    demetrios said:

There's some Nike/Adidas/other factories where they close for the night. About as soon as that happens, the bootleggers come in, use the same machines with the same materials....they sell that stuff on Amazon or whatever for $40 or $50 vs the $250 or $450 or whatever the real ones fetch.

And you can't even tell the difference.

I'd imagine such could be possible with records, but probably a lot harder. Say someone makes an official order for 6500 copies of their album on green vinyl for RSD. Who's stopping the factory from making another 12k on black vinyl?

It was said previously that a lot of these records are sourced from CD or MP3 or whatever. That's correct. At some point, you're better off streaming the digital files through your amp and playing whatever record with no neighbors. But, what I don't get, is why some of the official records are using digital sources. To me, digital files sort of miss the point of vinyl.

Back in the 50s/60s and even later, they'd use analog all the way into the groove. If you turned your amp all the way down and put your ear to the record, you could hear the audio.

So yeah, if you were really desperate or "needed" everything that said PJ on it, including the bootlegs from 94 that have Eddie from 2006 on the cover or whatever...well, I can't rationalize that.

And yeah, I took a chance many years ago on a non-Benny. It turned out to be a bootleg, but oh well. Lesson learned.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Zod said:
    demetrios said:

And yeah, I took a chance many years ago on a non-Benny. It turned out to be a bootleg, but oh well. Lesson learned.
    A non-PearlJam LP?
  • Options
    KC167403KC167403 New York Posts: 14
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Are most of these original releases, meaning not price gouged, or are most bought for crazy amounts of money ?
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,501
    SHZA said:

I need to figure out how to display my signed copy.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:
    SHZA said:

I need to figure out how to display my signed copy.
    A frame usually works...