Options

BENAROYA HALL LPs - *REVISED/CURRENT* OWNERS' LIST

Comments

• Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    I just acquired 99/2000 - sealed 

No tear in the shrink for the numbering?🤔
    That's what I was thinking. It's hard to tell from the photo but if not, seems suspect. Also, even harder to tell, but the shrink doesn't look right either. Different kind of plastic?
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    There is no tear in the shrink, the shrink is very tight around the record it’s not like the thinner looser shrink wrap 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options

2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,165
    If there was no tear in the shrinkwrap for numbering then looks like someone has redone the shrinkwrap. That kind of thing can add hundreds on to a copy so could see why it is done but dodgy practice. I keep all the shrinkwrap for my stickered records in a box. That way if I sell, one day it will get put back in it or sent to the new owner, people like all those stickers etc.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,848
    There is no tear in the shrink, the shrink is very tight around the record it’s not like the thinner looser shrink wrap 

That's weird there is no tear in the shrink, especially where it was numbered. 
  • Options
    Hmmm interesting.  Are there any other signs of it being not legit?  Will it be a big deal if I planned to open and spin it anyway?

It came to me from a reputable seller in a reputable group so hoping there was no foul play involved 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    It’s definitely a real, legit copy.  Someone just resealed it.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Great way to charge sealed prices on open items.
  • Options
    It came to me from a reputable seller in a reputable group so hoping there was no foul play involved 

Have you contacted 10club? Wonder what they would say.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MedozK said:
    Great way to charge sealed prices on open items.
    This is also true.   He seemed to be asking if it was possibly not a legit copy tho.  He plans on spinning it so that’s good.  It won’t matter anymore, but yeah someone tried to pass this off as sealed. 

Basically if it’s numbered or labeled for a Pop Up shop it’s going to have a tear. If it’s not numbered it wont have a tear.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,502
    looks like there's a bidding going on now on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284347542294?hash=item42346f2b16:g:dDUAAOSwpGFgg30m
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I can’t believe people pay resell prices for garbage bootlegs. Play the CD, that is what your buying, but now with surface noise.. lol
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited June 2021
    MedozK said:
    I can’t believe people pay resell prices for garbage bootlegs. Play the CD, that is what your buying, but now with surface noise.. lol
    It’s mind boggling really. But then again I had to learn the hard way with a couple of DOL and PanAm purchases. I didn’t do my research. But if you KNOW it’s a bootleg you have to know it’s from a CD
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    MedozK said:
    It is absolutely remarkable, but there are fools born every minute.  I laugh everytime I see someone posting on some of these facebook groups for Vinyl and saying how incredible it is to hear it on vinyl when it is demonstrably inferior sounding vinyl replicated from almost assuredly an MP3 a cd if you are lucky.  They have confused seeing with hearing.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,187
    And some of us laugh at self-proclaimed audiophiles who claim to be able to tell which is which but then flunk a blind test 
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    SHZA said:
    And some of us laugh at self-proclaimed audiophiles who claim to be able to tell which is which but then flunk a blind test 
    you don't need to be an "audiophile" self proclaimed or otherwise do know listening to garbage is garbage
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I think it's more subjective.

Its not like CD's are bad.  Sure is a cheap way to source a bootleg vinyl, but if done right the vinyl can sound pretty good.  Plus if it's sourced from a CD that predates the loudness war, that vinyl might sound better, than say a modern vinyl that has loudness issues.

I do find it amazing, that we grew up in a time when mixes were done better, and you didn't need different mixes for CD, digital, and vinyl.   Some of Brenden O' Brien's early/mid 90's albums, were the best mixes I've ever heard.  Regardless of the format.
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    SHZA said:
    you don't need to be an "audiophile" self proclaimed or otherwise do know listening to garbage is garbage

• Options
    MedozK said:

It's sad those who do buy off eBay at those prices don't google & search online record stores. There are still online record stores, in the USA, that are selling these copies for $69 bucks, US. My local record record store still is selling copies. Just go to your local record store. They will have copies. I won't be surprised if Easy Street Records are selling copies right now.
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    MedozK said:

It's sad those who do buy off eBay at those prices don't google & search online record stores. There are still online record stores, in the USA, that are selling these copies for $69 bucks, US. My local record record store still is selling copies. Just go to your local record store. They will have copies. I won't be surprised if Easy Street Records are selling copies right now.
    Point is, the CD is way cheaper than $69 and that is what you are getting. If you don’t own a CD player.. buy one instead of getting ripped off buying cds pressed to wax. 
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    MedozK said:

Point is, the CD is way cheaper than $69 and that is what you are getting. If you don’t own a CD player.. buy one instead of getting ripped off buying cds pressed to wax. 

Oh big time! They are so cheap on eBay. A sealed CD sold for $6.96 US, from a seller in UK.
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    MedozK said:

What I can’t believe is a reputable store like Easy Street, one that is well known with the band would sell a counterfeit release. I guess they do whatever to pay the bills.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,165
    Call me cynical but I honestly dont believe that many people buy vinyl for the sound quality these days. People like physical things and collecting things. Out of all formats its the nicest to look at. Then there's a perceived coolness to it. Then you have limited editions and dare I say it (increase in value). Then you have the thrill of hunting down records and finding something unexpected.
    It does feel like a better experience, the whole process of setting it up and sitting down and listening. You tend to listen from start to finish, no skipping tracks but the sound quality is a thing a lot of people talk about whereas Im thinking in reality its quite low down the list for many.

Nothing cool about counterfeit vinyl. Doesnt tick any boxes for me and wouldnt want it on my shelves.

• Options
    FR181798 said:
    Call me cynical but I honestly dont believe that many people buy vinyl for the sound quality these days. People like physical things and collecting things. Out of all formats its the nicest to look at. Then there's a perceived coolness to it. Then you have limited editions and dare I say it (increase in value). Then you have the thrill of hunting down records and finding something unexpected.
    It does feel like a better experience, the whole process of setting it up and sitting down and listening. You tend to listen from start to finish, no skipping tracks but the sound quality is a thing a lot of people talk about whereas Im thinking in reality its quite low down the list for many.

Nothing cool about counterfeit vinyl. Doesnt tick any boxes for me and wouldnt want it on my shelves.

There is probably a lot of truth in what you are saying. As the old saying goes “a fool and their money are soon parted”.  They pay for an inferior product for the coolness factor not caring where the money goes or the quality of the pressing. 

• Options
    I love live music on vinyl so i can admit that i own some bootlegs. 

A few Replacements ones
    Pearl Jam Melbourne 3/5/98 

they’re fun if you know what to expect.  Anyone paying more than $20 for one tho is either a fool or loves live vinyl way more than me (or both?). I had a free copy of this Benny one.  It’s a CD rip with a definite pressing issue on one song. If it was official there’d definitely be audiophiles asking for refunds. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I love live music on vinyl so i can admit that i own some bootlegs. 

A few Replacements ones
    Pearl Jam Melbourne 3/5/98 

they’re fun if you know what to expect.  Anyone paying more than $20 for one tho is either a fool or loves live vinyl way more than me (or both?). I had a free copy of this Benny one.  It’s a CD rip with a definite pressing issue on one song. If it was official there’d definitely be audiophiles asking for refunds. 
    I also have the Melbourne one. I am much more ok with radio broadcast that fall in the grey area for pressings, and that one does sound nice. However an official release that is pressed counterfeit style… is garbage to me.
  • Options
    I read this book on vacation, if you ever wonder why a CD pressed on vinyl is pointless just read this book. NY explains it perfectly in the first three chapters. Anyone who wants to argue “digital is better”, give them this book as a gift lol. 

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,187
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    I’m not reading a book review hack tell me NY is wrong. He’s no expert. 
    If you like streaming music and CDs have atter pal. If you want to buy records pressed from a CD source have atter pal. 
  • Options
    I read this book on vacation, if you ever wonder why a CD pressed on vinyl is pointless just read this book. NY explains it perfectly in the first three chapters. Anyone who wants to argue “digital is better”, give them this book as a gift lol. 

Never read this one. Yes it blows bootleggers who press vinyl from CD source rips but are there no bootleg vinyl pressed releases using 24Bit 192kHz FLAC sources? High quality digital audio is out there. Very easy to fine. Sucks if those manufacturing these colored vinyl releases not use 24Bit audio sources.