Options

** * Hartford Fanviews 5/13 Here** *

Comments

• Options
    trebmaltrebmal Boston Posts: 102
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else.. but my favorite part of last night... aside from a friend I was with finding guitar picks on the ground while we were leaving our Sec 200 seats but what I thought was kinda cool is that stuffed monster by Boom's spot. It looks similiar to the Albany poster! I couldn't see it from the angle I was at at the albany show.

Anyone have any info about the monster?
    oh yeah, and my bootleg t shirt I got from a sketchy guy walking back to our hotel, its the best bootleg I've ever purchased but its also the first
    9.15.98, 8.29.00, 8.30.00, 7.02.03, 7.03.03, 7.11.03 Mansfield, MA | 9.28.04, 9.29.04 Boston, MA, 5.12.06 Albany, NY | 5.13.06 Hartford, CT | 5.24, 5.25.06 Boston, MA | 8.05.07 Chicago, IL (lolla) | 6.27.08 Hartford, CT | 6.28, 6.30.08 Mansfield, MA | 10.4.09 Austin, TX (ACL), 10.30 | 10.31.09, Philadelphia, PA 5.17.10 Boston, MA, 10.15 | 10.16.2013 Worcester, MA, 10.25.13 Hartford, CT, 10.16.14 Detroit, MI, 4.18.16 Hampton, VA, 5.1 | 5.2.16 NYC, 8.5 | 8.7.16 Boston, MA, 7.3.18 Kraków, PL | 8.8 - 8.10.18 Seattle, WA | 8.13.18 Missoula, MT | 8.18.18 Chicago, IL | 9.2 - 9.4.18 Boston, MA | 9.18.21 Asbury Park, NJ | 9.1.22 Québec City, CAN | 9.3.22 Ottawa, CAN
  • Options
    evanevan Posts: 27
    I have to say I agree with one of the fan posts. The Albany show was so much better than the Hartford one. I felt that Eddie wasn't as into it in Hartford as he was in Albany. He was just so engaged with the crowd in Albany. It was awesome!!
  • Options
    AloneItGoAloneItGo Posts: 5
    Albany definetely kicked the shit out of this show. It was still quality PJ tho. Ed was def more into the night before.
  • Options
    Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Sleight of Hand and I'm Open?!?!?!?

Nice!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    waves roll inwaves roll in Posts: 159
    I just got back. Drove from Richmond, VA with a few of my closest buds. We went in to see MMJ's set and thought they were awesome. Pearl Jam was amazing, I'm Open gave me chills. Inside Job was absolute beautiful and the version of Rearview Mirror was the best I ever heard them do. The We Belong Together Tag was awesome too. We had lawn seats but stood on the rail. There were all kinds of wasted frat boys and such starting fights and trying to mosh or whatever so we took a chance and jumped the rail and got past the guards and found a row where noone was sitting and it made so much better and a million times closer. The lasers are a really cool part of the show. Eddie singing Alive on the amps was unreal. Amazing show, the best for me ever.
  • Options
    igotrigigotrig Posts: 2
    i just dunno, i'm listening to albany now. i think the atmosphere was better in hartford, but i think the set in albany comes out on top. i'll have to decide once hartford comes up to burn. one thing's for sure 2 nights in a row all within a 2 hour drive is the coolest thing since...well if ya think of something lemme know. (pre show in hartford mos def. best i've had yet.)

i was gonna play you a song, but i forgot how to.
  • Options
    Did anyone notice Stone watching MMJ? I was in the middle of section 600, and I always bring binoculars so I was looking around and noticed Stone watching from the right side of the stage right at the edge of the curtain. At one point, the curtain started moving and hit him in the face and he looked annoyed. It was kind of funny. But he did crack a smile at one point during a solo. Also, when Ed did I'm Open he started with a comment like, "I was going to play something but I forgot how." Maybe he was referring to the spoken part. Oh well, at least I got to hear Why Go which makes me sooooooo happy. But, I'm still 0/5 with Jeremy. Ha!
    I'm the Peachmeister!

2003-Albany, Mansfield I, Camden I, MSG I
    2006-Hartford
    2008-Mansfield II
    EV NYC I +II
    2009-EV Philly
    2010-MSG I + II
    2013-Worchester
  • Options
    waves roll inwaves roll in Posts: 159
    Oh and sorry if this is a dumb question but do they normally start shows with the house music playing Master/Slave?
  • Options
    trandgtrandg Posts: 65
    Did McCready bust out the Crotch Lasers during any of the new material?
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Excellent seats, Mike McCready was just a lot of fun to watch. I wrote this on a St. John's review a long time ago, but he was just joy to watch. I finally tried to "connect" with the band, and when I waved at him I think I got a wave out of him. What a nice man :) Matt was waving to people in the back. Stone was connecting with people around me. I mean these men and the other bandmembers were just ambassadors of goodwill, and it was contagious. Yeah them!

I couldn't wear my new green shoes, because it was very cold, and I had to walk a bit to get there. Oh well, I'm going to Riverdance this weekend, maybe there, eh?

It was probably the most comfortable show for me, and for that I will always remember it. I felt very safe walking to and from the show even though it was about 20 minutes. I met the man I sold my second ticket to with his girlfriend before the show, and they were really nice. We were in 4th row, but we snuck into 3rd, and the people who seats we snuck into didn't boot us out *note to self - do the same*.

I'm Open was a little tough to listen to. I was wondering if Ed's voice was hurting from the night before, or if he was catching a cold, of if he tried to hide the fact he didn't know the words by a sort of screeching, or if smoking really is what it is with his voice. Ed on the amp was very cool. Mike was jumping all over the place. I want a vespa the color of Jeff's guitar.

Set list was solid, but no Lost Dogs. Let's find those doggies. Here doggie doggie Where Are You?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    This being my 7th show over a span of 12 years, I've NEVER seen Jeff Ament play like he did. The guy was on a mission and on another planet. And after all of his spinning, jumping around, and playing, he finishes off the night sitting on an amp next to Matt watching the grace and beauty of YLB take shape, with Mike sitting on the stage sending the song into the sky.

Great show, great band!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    the show was ok...i was a little sad to see the crowd wasn't all that into the new material....

my tickets were assigned with my old 10c number which was a bummer....my seats were still OK but i'm sure they would have been much better with my new #....

i wrote 10c a kind email to see if they can adjust this for me for the NJ shows...

ED SMOKED LIKE 6 CIGS AT THIS SHOW....MORE AND MORE EVERY TIME I SEE THEM.....

What do you mean? Doesn't an "old" 10c number usually mean "better" seats? I have a 193xxx and my seats were dead center sec 200 row S

I really didn't notice the fans not enjoying it...around me everyone was! I was just happy to be there But yet again im used to half my personal friends not liking PJ any way
    9.15.98, 8.29.00, 8.30.00, 7.02.03, 7.03.03, 7.11.03 Mansfield, MA | 9.28.04, 9.29.04 Boston, MA, 5.12.06 Albany, NY | 5.13.06 Hartford, CT | 5.24, 5.25.06 Boston, MA | 8.05.07 Chicago, IL (lolla) | 6.27.08 Hartford, CT | 6.28, 6.30.08 Mansfield, MA | 10.4.09 Austin, TX (ACL), 10.30 | 10.31.09, Philadelphia, PA 5.17.10 Boston, MA, 10.15 | 10.16.2013 Worcester, MA, 10.25.13 Hartford, CT, 10.16.14 Detroit, MI, 4.18.16 Hampton, VA, 5.1 | 5.2.16 NYC, 8.5 | 8.7.16 Boston, MA, 7.3.18 Kraków, PL | 8.8 - 8.10.18 Seattle, WA | 8.13.18 Missoula, MT | 8.18.18 Chicago, IL | 9.2 - 9.4.18 Boston, MA | 9.18.21 Asbury Park, NJ | 9.1.22 Québec City, CAN | 9.3.22 Ottawa, CAN
  • Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    the womens bathrooms were really big and CLEAN!

thats about the only positive thing the venue had goin for it.
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    thatgirl wrote:

haha, the outside men's room did not have a trash to throw out paper towels....
  • Options
    thatgirl wrote:

Yes, the outside women's bathroom was very clean and spacious, however I gather it was once used as a men's room as there was a trough urinal in the center of it....
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    rollajohnrollajohn Posts: 6
    I thought Albany show was way better than Hartford. I was suprised at such a huge turn out on the lawn and they were not allowing blankets for the very wet lawn. RVM was highlight, not as good as the Montreal RVM in 2000 for my money but we all have our favorites. It was agreat weekend for some live Pearl Jam. Rats & Satans Bed in Albany was a huge highlight. I'd never seen either in concert.
    "Wilbon loves being Michael Wilbon. I hate being Tony Kornheiser" - 02/08/2006
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    thatgirl wrote:

You mean I missed the best part of the venue~damn I should have drank more so I would have had to make a trip!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    Thin HairThin Hair Posts: 67
    have to say albany was good, but even though i froze my nuts off on the green, Hartford was even better because the setlist appealed more to me. Saw some crazy people getting very dirty on that mud near the end of the show, and when that fence came down leaving the show it made me laugh.

And mikes guitar sounded better in hartford also.
    ' take 2 bottles into the shower?......not me, I've got no fucking hair!'

Wembley 00..Astoria 06..Albany 06..Hartford 06..Barcelona 06..Paris 06..Wembley 07..Dusseldorf 07..Nijmegen 07
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Hartford was a letdown after albany
    Hartford venue is awful, took a lot away from the experience.
    The Hartford setlist was too much of a greatest hits show for me.

Glad I made the long haul up to albany.
  • Options
    tragibigzandatragibigzanda Posts: 100
    You guys are crazy! Hartford was great! It was my 10th show, and it wasn't "the best," but I've got no complaints! 10C got me 6th row on Stone's side (103xxx), the band was in a GREAT mood, all enjoying themselves and joking (that bit with the camcorder?), and the setlist was solid. No, not a lot of rarities like Albany, but aside from Even Flow, I was excited for every song. I'm Open was a real treat, and Stone played a MEAN guitar solo on RITFW that made his face go blood red. Yea, Hartford is a shithole, and yea, the weather sucked, and yea, the crowd was a little subdued, but the sound was great, the band was great, there were a few treats in the setlist, and the new songs sounded amazing!

Can't wait for Boston...

~Alex
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    i was in section 500 row nn (354xxx). i thought the show rocked. we all loved albany because of rats and satans bed but this was only my 4th pearl jam show so songs like rvm, dissident, i got shit, black (we belong together!) and animal (which some people complain about because they have all been played a million times) i hadn't heard yet so i was stoked.

by the way did everyone really think it was cold? i keep seeing people saying it was really cold and personally i had on jeans and a long sleeve shirt and i was more than comfortable.
  • Options
    Anyone see that 'Play C-3 Let the song protest' sign at the Hartford show?
    On the back of a cartoon coaster I drew a map of Canada with your face sketched on it twice
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    ED SMOKED LIKE 6 CIGS AT THIS SHOW....MORE AND MORE EVERY TIME I SEE THEM.....
    Seeing him smoke that much surprised me.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    slamajamslamajam Posts: 1
    I don't have a problem with the venue except for the mud. I was on the lawn and slipped onto my rear end a couple of times but I had a fantastic time nonetheless. This was only my second show and I loved every moment. I too wasn't that cold and I had on short sleeves, although I did put on a sweater when it got dark. That's also the most people I've ever seen at that place. GREAT TIME!!!
  • Options
    PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 207
    I went to college near Hartford and have been going to shows in the area for almost 20 years - nothing has changed since then in terms of crowd behavior.

Even at Grateful Dead shows in the late 80's, the Hartford crowd scene always had a weird vibe to it. Saturday night did not dissappoint.

Maybe it was just the area I was in but it seemed like a lot of really, really wasted frat boys trying to relive the Woodstock from a couple years ago with the mud people and moshing. I saw a couple people - unwitting fans walking on the pavement behind the Pavillion - get completely steamrolled by about 20 guys who started their own mosh area and came out of nowhere and knocked them on their ass.

A couple fights broke out in the area I was in and the security guards only were concerned with making sure no one got into the Pavillion without a seat - basically screw you, and your safety, if your on the lawn.

The whole scene reminded me of the mentality that eventually besieged the Dead, Phish, and any other band where the main driver for most is to go the show and get as ripped as possible in the parking lot and see what happens then.

I'm all for expanding horizons and altered sates of conciusness to experience the music in a different way but what that has to do with throwing sneakers full of mud or water bottles into the pavillion area I'll never figure out.

As far as the show, I was blown away by how good the new tunes sounded live - I loved all of them. I got shit was great and sleight of hand was nice to hear. Best show for me since Charleston in 96.

Was it just me or did anyone else hear a Once tease at the beginning of the show?

Highlight of the night came in the waning harmonics of Ledbetter - a kid walks by and says to me "Is this intermission?"
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Options
    OTOTOOTOTO New York, NY Posts: 190
    It's b/c of venues like Hartford that I am grateful for 10C tix, b/c at least you are sitting around people who reallly want to be there and see their favorite band. That being said, all the idiots I saw beofre and after the show at least were not near me during the show. Where I was was people really into the show, not leaving for anything, and just having a great attitude towards everyone around them and every song, including knowing every lyric to the new songs. (Only freaks like us learn an album in a day, haha)
    Hopefully, as I go to more shows this tour, I see more of these people rather tyhan the meathead idiots you always see at The Meadows. I do just hope it's the venue and not a sign of things to come. B/c stupid fans have been the downfall of many great live bands.
    Anyway, it was a great night. Great to be surrounded by fellow 10C members that were there to have a good time, which I think we all did. Can't wait for my next show.
    "You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train"
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    snipes824 wrote:
    i was in section 500 row nn (354xxx). i thought the show rocked. we all loved albany because of rats and satans bed but this was only my 4th pearl jam show so songs like rvm, dissident, i got shit, black (we belong together!) and animal (which some people complain about because they have all been played a million times) i hadn't heard yet so i was stoked.

by the way did everyone really think it was cold? i keep seeing people saying it was really cold and personally i had on jeans and a long sleeve shirt and i was more than comfortable.

haha, I was in 500 NN also with 10c # 354xxx what seats?
    Did that big drunk dude try to stand in your spot?
    I was in shorts and was fine all night
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    Reggie32Reggie32 Posts: 5
    Well, The JAM rocked in Hartford too. This one was closer to home, (I'm from Hartford) so no driving was needed, which was a plus. The band was again on fire,again maybe the fact that it is the beginning of the tour, or just having fun out there. Mike was really on tonight, and his guitar sounded better, and he looked like he was super psyched. He even pulled out that double neck guitar, which reminded of the hair metal bands of the 80's. (je Je) He was definetely on, better than Albany (Mike I mean), at least soundwise.

The setlist was different but great, but remeber they have not played Hartford in 8 years, so some hits were necessary but still pulled some rarities. I'm open and Sleight of hand among them. Inside Job phenomenal and the best Rearviewmirror I seen them perform.

My seats were no 10c, could not get them for Hartford but yes for Albany. But they were still good 700 seats, but I missed the 10 clubers. So enjoy the rest of the tour folks, and see you in a couple years. Long live The JAM.

Albany 06
    Hartford 06
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    haha, I was in 500 NN also with 10c # 354xxx what seats?
    Did that big drunk dude try to stand in your spot?
    I was in shorts and was fine all night
    we were seats 513 and 514. and im pretty sure that we were right next to eachother then becase there were these guys who were pretty drunk trying to squeeze in next to us with their friends. i was drunk too so it wasnt bothering me that much but still i hate when people do that. for the 2nd half of the show i had this screaming asshole bumping into me every couple minutes.
  • Options
    Reggie32Reggie32 Posts: 5
    I hear people refering to the Hartford venue as a shit hole, but it as not always like that. It is sad, but the Dodge Music Center, previously the Meadows Music Theatre used to be a really good venue. When it was first opened, summer 95, it was ranked by Pollstar (the live music industry magazine) as one of the top 5 amphitheaters in the country. That probably lasted two or three years top, because of bad management and corporate profeteering.

Soon the sound system stopped being updated, specially in the lawn, the facilities received no improvement, and the venue started falling down the drains. You need to stay on top of your game with these venues, and they have not. The video screens were also old and not top quality. Some of that system still probably being used, because the corporate partners just care about money and putting their name on the venue, but not the fans or attendees. Security was either too aggressive (like some PJ shows, 96 and 98) or too lax, like the DMB riots of 99.

The new corporate 'partners" (Dodge) could be different, but that remains to be seen. They added stairs towards the lawn for better accesibility, which is good. Don't know about sound and video, because I was not in the lawn, but will see what happens. Don't expect much. Sad story really for us Hartford fans. This venue was bulit with tax payers money, and the sold (classic sports arena move), and we do not get nothing in return.