Options

EURO TOUR 2012..!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    cant wait for this.....we gonna have a fuckin blast..

the best fuckin band on the planet..for 8 fuckin times in a year..

fuck me with a fuckin yeah!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    hensodhensod Posts: 192
    edited February 2012
    In Sweden you can use Visa & Mastercard in most shops, restaurants and pub:s. Small shops can deny you on small amounts sometime (eventhou they are not allowed too), amex can be used in some places but diners are often a big nono.

There are lots of ATM in stockholm so there should not be a problem to make a withdraw if you need to but youre probably better of paying with your card most of the time (if not you bank overcharge you and give you a bad exchangerate)!

Henrik
    Post edited by hensod on
    ISO, vinyl: Avocado, Binural, Riot Act, Lost Dogs, Benny
  • Options
    hensod wrote:
    In Sweden you can use Visa & Mastercard in most shops, restaurants and pub:s, small shops can deny you on small amounts sometime (eventhou they are not allowed too), amex can be used in some places but diners are often a big nono.

There are lots of ATM in stockholm so there should not be a problem to make a withdraw if you need to but youre probably better of paying with your card mots of the time (if not you bank overcharge you and give you a bad exchangerate)!

Henrik
    thanks Hendrik
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    morello wrote:
    Anyone got tips on how to deal with all the different currencies? Travellers cheques? I've not passed through so many different places with different currencies when travelling before & as much as the visa card will be great sometimes you just need cash. Any ideas re the best way to do it for the least fees? TIA.
    I wouldn't bother with traveller's cheques. They aren't really used anymore - it could be more hassle than it's worth and you have to go looking for banks and all that. Credit card works best in Scandinavia and the same goes for Amsterdam and Berlin - You can use Mastercard and Visa almost everywhere.
    If you end up having spare norwegian or sweidsh cash ( :D ) you can use them in Copenhagen (notes only). You probably won't get the best rates but it's better than not getting them spent at all.
    How bout American Express, Eva?

I'm not sure about American Express. Mastercard and Visa are definetely the best, but I'll try and keep an eye on the Am-ex logo.
    1992: Copenhagen, Roskilde. 1996: Berlin, Hamburg, Amsterdam, Paris, Zürich, Rome, Milan, Prague, Budapest, Istanbul. 2000: Stockholm, Roskilde. 2006: Prague, Berlin, Vienna. 2007: Munich, Katowice, (Venice), Düsseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen. 2009: Rotterdam, Berlin, Manchester, London. 2010: Dublin, Belfast, Berlin. 2012: Amsterdam x 2, Prague, Berlin x 2, Stockholm, Copenhagen. 2014: Amsterdam x 2, Vienna and Berlin. 2017: London. 2017 Plans: Prague, Krakow, Berlin and London 2 :-)
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Thanks for currency tips everyone. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Suziemay wrote:
    I wouldn't bother with traveller's cheques. They aren't really used anymore - it could be more hassle than it's worth and you have to go looking for banks and all that. Credit card works best in Scandinavia and the same goes for Amsterdam and Berlin - You can use Mastercard and Visa almost everywhere.
    If you end up having spare norwegian or sweidsh cash ( :D ) you can use them in Copenhagen (notes only). You probably won't get the best rates but it's better than not getting them spent at all.
    How bout American Express, Eva?

I'm not sure about American Express. Mastercard and Visa are definetely the best, but I'll try and keep an eye on the Am-ex logo.
    Thanks Eva :) I suspect it's similar to the UK, in that it's hit or miss but if you happen to see it around that would be good to know!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I wonder if they accept credit cards in the redlight district, or the coffee houses in Amsterdam?

Just curious :?
  • Options
    One of these days I'll head over the pond to a Euro show.

Enjoy everyone!!!
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    One of these days I'll head over the pond to a Euro show.

Enjoy everyone!!!
    :D
  • Options
    Ok, I googled all the places I'm stopping by and got the scoop on Amex. I know I care about this, not sure if anyone else does but click on the link to learn about other money-related stuff.

In summary: Amex is widely accepted in Sweden and Norway. Denmark and Prague not so much, mostly Visa/Mastercard. Germany is mostly cash-based. Locals, feel free to dispute any of this :D

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/czech-repub ... oney-costs
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/germany/ber ... oney-costs
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/sweden/prac ... oney-costs
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/denmark/pra ... oney-costs
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/norway/prac ... oney-costs
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    Ok, I googled all the places I'm stopping by and got the scoop on Amex. I know I care about this, not sure if anyone else does but click on the link to learn about other money-related stuff.

In summary: Amex is widely accepted in Sweden and Norway. Denmark and Prague not so much, mostly Visa/Mastercard. Germany is mostly cash-based. Locals, feel free to dispute any of this :D

Well it states that Diners (as well as visa, MasterCard and amex) is widely accepted, the most common cards is visa and MasterCard they are accepted almost everywere in sweden I dont have an amex myself but I know that is not allways is accepted and the card i most often se that is not accepted is Diners (mayby thay are more accepted here then other countries?) but you will always manage with visa ander MasterCard.

If you hawe any specific questions about Sweden feel free to ask here or pm me, i will look in shops to se what cards they do accept and keep you posted!

Henrik
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

Great info suziemay. I'll have to check out he lonely planet sites more. Thanks. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    Make sure you actually call your card company to let them know you will be over there. Otherwise your card may not work. It's almost like they have to be activated for overseas use.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    hensod wrote:
    Well it states that Diners (as well as visa, MasterCard and amex) is widely accepted, the most common cards is visa and MasterCard they are accepted almost everywere in sweden I dont have an amex myself but I know that is not allways is accepted and the card i most often se that is not accepted is Diners (mayby thay are more accepted here then other countries?) but you will always manage with visa ander MasterCard.

If you hawe any specific questions about Sweden feel free to ask here or pm me, i will look in shops to se what cards they do accept and keep you posted!

Henrik
    Thanks Henrik! I think I'm going to give the whole Amex thing a rest and just deal with it :D I know I always have to have a Visa/Mastercard anyway, even in NYC not all places accept Amex :D
    morello wrote:
    Great info suziemay. I'll have to check out he lonely planet sites more. Thanks. :)
    You're quite welcome! Just be sure to validate any key information you are going to use, seems like they aren't always accurate based on what Henrik just said about the whole Amex thing. Good place to start tho!
    Make sure you actually call your card company to let them know you will be over there. Otherwise your card may not work. It's almost like they have to be activated for overseas use.
    And YET another reason why I love my Amex. I don't have to call. When I do, they say thank you very much but you don't have to call because we track your purchase pattern. So since I've bought plane tickets they know where I'm going to be.
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    hensod wrote:

Henrik
    Thanks Henrik! I think I'm going to give the whole Amex thing a rest and just deal with it :D I know I always have to have a Visa/Mastercard anyway, even in NYC not all places accept Amex :D
    morello wrote:
    You're quite welcome! Just be sure to validate any key information you are going to use, seems like they aren't always accurate based on what Henrik just said about the whole Amex thing. Good place to start tho!
    And YET another reason why I love my Amex. I don't have to call. When I do, they say thank you very much but you don't have to call because we track your purchase pattern. So since I've bought plane tickets they know where I'm going to be.

Just to make everything clear I dont have an amex and are not 100% sure in what stores they fan be used, so I
    Will check some stores and get back to you all (i do have a friend and he usually askes in stores if thay do accept
    Amex)
    Cheers
    H
  • Options
    hensod wrote:
    Just to make everything clear I dont have an amex and are not 100% sure in what stores they fan be used, so I
    Will check some stores and get back to you all (i do have a friend and he usually askes in stores if thay do accept Amex)
    Cheers
    H
    Oh, definitely don't go out of your way. I know I can't survive just on the Amex. I don't know why I'm making such a big deal about it :lol::lol:
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    Suziemay wrote:
    Oh, definitely don't go out of your way. I know I can't survive just on the Amex. I don't know why I'm making such a big deal about it :lol::lol:

probably for the same reason you made 32168489165 hotel reservations!!
    You're a planner :lol::lol::D

I just recieved all my lonely planet books the other day for all the cities I will be in, along with a really cool little "Knopf Mapguides" book for Berlin. It looks very handy! :D
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

I just recieved all my lonely planet books the other day for all the cities I will be in, along with a really cool little "Knopf Mapguides" book for Berlin. It looks very handy! :D

I think you're not up to speed on my hotel reservations. I actually made 32168489178 reservations

:lol::lol::lol:

All the hotels are going to be like wtf why do we now have all these vacancies, it was fully booked 6 months ago!
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Suziemay wrote:

Don't forget for some of the cities you'll have locals to help, in others you'll have well plebs like me...but hey you discover more things when you get lost :D
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    leanne,which shows you doing?
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    :lol: @ SusieMay :) you and I are too much alike!

Leanne, of course my friend!! I just need to feel secure with a certain amount of personal knowledge and know how :) can't wait to see you buddy!! :D:D
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options

Manchester x 2, Berlin x 2 and Stockholm - you can't get rid of me that easily Dimitris, sorry hunny :D
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options

Leanne, of course my friend!! I just need to feel secure with a certain amount of personal knowledge and know how :) can't wait to see you buddy!! :D:D

Can't wait to see you either, be prepared to be hugged within an inch of your life :lol:

...and I have the Lonely Planet Encounter guides for each place, they are great :oops: :oops:
  • Options
    dottles wrote:

Manchester x 2, Berlin x 2 and Stockholm - you can't get rid of me that easily Dimitris, sorry hunny :D
    i asked for meet for the badges...so berlin it is..cool :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    dottles wrote:

Can't wait to see you either, be prepared to be hugged within an inch of your life :lol:

...and I have the Lonely Planet Encounter guides for each place, they are great :oops: :oops:
    I'm seeing if I can get "Europe on a Shoestring' from the library this weekend too!! ;) Might be handy!!

Also.... I made a PJ countdown in my calendar in Outlook at work yesterday(it's how many days until the 1st show in Manchester)!! :lol:
    PJcountdown.jpg
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    dottles wrote:

i asked for meet for the badges...so berlin it is..cool :)
    Any info on 2012 euro badges? On my day to day backpack I have the 2010 one, the why no you don't bitching one and a pj20 one. I have room for more though... I really like it when my students ask me what they are (along with the stickers I have on my lesson planner)
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    What is the cheapest way to handle cell phones? I do not want to take my Israeli phone because the charges will be outrageous. Any cheap local solution? I will be in Amsterdam, Belgium and Berlin. I probably will not be making to many outgoing calls, mostly receiving calls from home and sending text messages.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    rafie wrote:
    What is the cheapest way to handle cell phones? I do not want to take my Israeli phone because the charges will be outrageous. Any cheap local solution? I will be in Amsterdam, Belgium and Berlin. I probably will not be making to many outgoing calls, mostly receiving calls from home and sending text messages.

Will your hotel have free wifi? Find free wifi hotspots?

Skype calls over free wifi and texts over free wifi through an app such as whatsapp? Also think the app viber allows calls and texts over wifi.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options

Just wait until you see my itinerary. I usually have everything planned right down to which bus to catch at what time from where and how much it's going to cost.
    Unfortunately I have never been able to get proper information as to HOW to take a bus, which can cause quite a bit of worry - Do you enter at the front or the back!!!!!
    Not neurotic at all :roll:
    1992: Copenhagen, Roskilde. 1996: Berlin, Hamburg, Amsterdam, Paris, Zürich, Rome, Milan, Prague, Budapest, Istanbul. 2000: Stockholm, Roskilde. 2006: Prague, Berlin, Vienna. 2007: Munich, Katowice, (Venice), Düsseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen. 2009: Rotterdam, Berlin, Manchester, London. 2010: Dublin, Belfast, Berlin. 2012: Amsterdam x 2, Prague, Berlin x 2, Stockholm, Copenhagen. 2014: Amsterdam x 2, Vienna and Berlin. 2017: London. 2017 Plans: Prague, Krakow, Berlin and London 2 :-)
  • Options
    eyejackereyejacker Posts: 1,282
    I have started marking my Berlin and Stockholm maps with all the good vinyl stores... That's how far ahead I am... :mrgreen: