Options

*** Santa Barbara Fanviews 7/13 Here ***

Comments

• Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    tarkman1 wrote:
    I'm not sure the venue or the crowd was ideal. The band sounded great. I think the open air and the crowd detracted form this show. It's as if the energy was evaporating into the air. If you put the band in San Diego, the show would have really awesome. The band kept giving and giving, but I didn't feel like the crowd was giving back like I had at other shows, like San Diego in 2000. Example, I erupted before the first chord in 'Black' was complete. I was getting strange looks from people around me. C'mon. It's Black. I'll give the crowd credit for stepping up as the show progressed. On a different note, the show was all about Pearl Jam being a band and playing as a band. No Tim Robbins. No Kelly Slater. Just Pearl Jam!

I was a bit worried in the first songs of the mainly acoustic style opening set. I did enjoy Waiting For Friend (from the Rolling Stones) just because I got a chance to hear some guitar licks that don't come up in Pearl Jam's own songs. With Eddy seated, his voice seemed restrained. I thought maybe it was strained from the tour, then I ditched that idea when he stood to sing Crazy Mary. Then, I heard the voice, deep and resonating. Whew.

1st Encore Set - Corduroy was really the first song. They blasted into that with a sledgehammer. They definitely switched gears from the previous set. All of the band members were putting out. From then on, Mike was animated and all over the stage. Eddy wasn't holding back and definitely not going through the motions. I hope him and Matt get some waves today, granted they probably are a bit spent to be out at the crack of dawn.

I'd say look for Life Wasted and World Wide Suicide to be future great concert songs. They came across really well.

I was officially spent after Betterman but I got a second wind. I thought the show may have ended with RITFW because the house lights were on, but the band had one more left in them.

Verdict: Good, solid show, but not great. The stars didn't quite align for that.

Other: Eddy had the spotlight on him during DTE. He put the guitar on his shoulders and reflected the beam and panned through the crowd. I hadn't seen anyone do that.

Didn't he reflect the spotlight during Porch? He doesn't wear a guitar for DTE. Even though he put a guitar on for HTI towards the end.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I'd never heard Hard to Imagine live. What a treat. And I love Porch, any version. And Comatose, that I never liked on the CD - hearing it live has changed my mind.

The fans. I loved our seats (thanks 10C), the section above floor. Two rows back, Mike's side. 2/3 of the people in the front row sat down for maybe 2/3 of the show. It felt like a mix of PJ fans and Santa Barbara country club people and their kids. Like people who were just there cause they had tickets and no where else to go.

The man behind me asked us to sit down. I said, Pearl Jam fans like to stand. WTF? The energy seemed to grow, at least, but I missed the group of fans I was with both nights in LA. It was still a great show.

We went back to our hotel after and had a drink at the bar. Some guys who looked like roadies came in. And a couple minutes later Mike McCready and some other people joined them. We didn't ask for an autogrpah or anything, we were just so excited to be in the same room with him.
  • Options
    SDMikeSDMike Posts: 22
    Surprised to see the mixed reviews here. Of all the west coast shows (besides S.D.), this would have been the one I would have tried to make it to. But then, I hardly need any excuse to visit S.B. You guys have a great town.
    Information is not knowledge
    Knowledge is not wisdom
    Wisdom is not truth
    Truth is not beauty
    Beauty is not love
    Love is not music
    Music is THE BEST . . .
    - Frank Zappa
  • Options
    circles downcircles down Posts: 182
    yowza57 wrote:
    All you posters vowing that this was the most amazing show ever were undoubtedly in the fanclub section, because from my point of view the crowd sucked. You would think this show would have been the one with the most hardcore fans, but no - it had the most rich white people dressed in their most impressive looking clothes looking for the event of the year to get together and chat. High heels? My feet are hurting because of these heels? Please. Throughout the show I could hear more of this chatter than I could the band, I actually had to strain to hear what Ed was saying most of the time. The only time people rocked out was during songs off Ten, and the rest of the time they were asking eachother "what is this??" Not to mention the fact that there was never a 20 minute stretch during the entire set when someone didnt walk in front of me to get more beer. Have these people ever been to a sporting event or concert before, or do they simply think the world revolves around them? Most likely the latter. The people around us were sitting during every song they didnt know until the harder stuff came out. All in all, it was my worst crowd experience. I could hear people behing me talking, I could hear myself singing which is highly unusual, and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to because I was feeling bad that the people behind me couldn't see because I stood the entire time. From my vantage point it looked like an awesome concert for the fanclub section, and the band always sounds great, but I feel sorry for any diehard or tenclub member that was relegated to sitting with the snooty inhabitants of the greater Santa Barbara area. Yes, Last Kiss may have been the only song you wanted to hear, and you did sing along for most of it, albeit with the wrong words, but that doesn't mean it was at the top of my list, so please stop yakking at me because I'm trying to enjoy the show. I'm not a bitter person, but this crowd ruined it for me.
    And that's my two cents.

I feel you dawg. In 03 I had to sit up there and it seemed to be mostly a bunch of rich UCSB abercrombie and fitch brats just waiting to hear daughter. It totally sucked for me in 03, but I was on the 7th row last night, the best 10c seat's I've ever had (#164xxx) and it was awesome down there. Everyone was singing every word, but Ed's mic was pretty loud where I was sitting so I could still hear him. I brought a friend who is very new to PJ and he was blown away by the crowd and how into it everyone was. Sorry you had a bad experience, that sucks, hopefully you can snag better seats next time.
  • Options
    glorified_jglorified_j Posts: 183
    The show was great...i got to mark a whole bunch of songs off of my "want to hear list"...i got shit, whipping, hard to imagine, low light, and oceans. My gf and i had great seats, thank you ten club section k row 2. We met some cool people waiting in line to get in and also in out seats. Taking a short nap at home before making the 45 minute drive to sf.
  • Options
    pattylpattyl Posts: 1
    So incredibly sorry some 10C members met or found themselves near some dud attendees. Please note that plenty of sb'ers are extremely cool. We have a unique town here, truly. Very artistic and very accepting. That being said, far be it for me to defend my little city. Plenty of people here suck, same as anywhere. Fortunately I don't know them, but I've seen them. Good news - most of your garden variety frat brat types are gone for summer. Some of the students stay behind, but there is, for the most part, a gentler, more Santa Barbara-type vibe around I.V. (Isla Vista - home of UCSB). Also, local rumor had it the Bowl had their regular "best seats" season ticket holders (or most of them? I haven't gotten the whole story on that verified yet) give up their seats for 10C. Respectable. The SB Bowl is and always has been a very cool venue. Management there loves their little bowl of gold and wants others to, also. Nearly all, if not all the ushers you saw are local volunteers. The relationship between the Bowl and the community is special. And once great bands hear about the bowl, they generally figure out a way to play there. Little by little. Carlos Santana always says whenever he is discussing venues with other musicians he tells them they should check out the Bowl. Cute. But Carlos returns often. I've seen many great bands at the Bowl, and rarely had a complaint about my seating neighbors. Not bad.

A little Bowl history - pardon me if you already know all of this - just skip it: Ed attended, with Mr. and Mrs. J. Johnson, the Neil Young and Crazy Horse show at the bowl (Sept 18); it was Ed's first visit to the Bowl. Ed mingled with the Johnsons and with Bowl management, and, according to those involved, he liked the Bowl a lot, and got a good sense of and was impressed with what the Bowl is all about. He asked what the weather was like in October.

The next day the historic Prostate Cancer Center/Cedars Sinai benefit show at the Bowl (Oct 28, 2003 PJ with friends) was tentatively penciled in - a "save the date". Bowl General Manager said the subsequent weeks were nothing like your typical pre-concert negotiations. He called it an organic experience. I am still without words (and I'm a writer!) to describe that actual show (and I even wrote an article - though it was about waiting in line overnight for tickets and the great 10C members and others I met in line), but if you weren't there, you really missed something incredibly special. Ever since, in my heart of hearts I have hoped that PJ, having picked up on the treasure that is the Bowl, would want to return strictly as PJ. Ahhhhh. They did : )

Now, on to this show. I'm drained in a satisfied way. In my world this was a full-body-and-soul-and-mind experience. At the Forum Tuesday night it was a full body experience with soul. Both shows rocked. Thanks 10C for great seats.

I must say, these two shows were the first times I've gotten tickets through 10C, and I am impressed. What a class act. But you know what really impressed me? The fans. I felt like a long-lost family member suddenly surounded by unknown relatives with whom I shared a very special spirit. Too much? I hope not. I really felt it, and I truly hope to see many of you again at future shows.

I loved both the Forum show, and the SB Bowl show. Hm. Love doesn't quite cover it. Oh, well. Enough said. Thanks for listening : )
  • Options
    Best seats I've ever had or will get from the 10c! 12th row center, directly in front of Mike with no obstructions view-wise. THANKS 10c!! It was my 1st show of the tour, so I'm biased. I had a fucking incredible night, and finally got Oceans!!!

SF through the Gorge is gonna be out of this world.

and thanks to all the people on the floor, your energy made it a Great Show!
    Can't Touch the Bottom:
    10-20-01/ 10-21-01/ 2-26-02/ 12-6-02/ 12-8-02/ 12-9-02/ 6-1-03/ 6-2-03/ 6-3-03/ 6-5-03/ 6-6-03/ 10-25-03/ 10-26-03/ 10-28-03/ 9-1-05/ 9-2-05/ 7-13-06/ 7-15-06/ 7-16-06/ 7-18-06/ 7-20-06/ 7-22-06/ 7-23-06
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Still in the area the day after this wonderful show.... It was so beautiful how they did the sit down set with the sun sitting. After the sun set they kicked it up a notch and rocked out for the next 2 sets. I wish jack irons had of done a song or 2. But still a kick ass show and my fav ever as this was my 4th PJ show.

highlights sorry for the dotpoints:

1) Sonic Youth were very enjoyable again but got pissed off with fans not giving this great American band (as great as PJ) NO respect because they were sitting down or giving them shit for the loud distorted sounds coming out of their guitars. They were awesome.

2) The sit down set was very beautiful. Highlight of this was HTI and Lowlight as they are my fav songs. It was the perfect venue for this to happen. I liked hoe ed said "this is a mini gorge set) hehe cant wait for the gorge now! Come Back id very good live and enjoyed that my fav song from the new album.

3) The crowd were very into it the 10 clubbers are great people and its greta talking to a few of u guys as this is my first US PJ run ever.

4) This is hands down the best venue I have ever been 2. You would go see anyone at the SB Bowl because the atmosphere and vibe of last night is very hard to match anywhere I would have thought!

gorge weekend is my last PJ run of shows... thanks everyone I enjoyed my self so much! The best night ever.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    great show, amazing venue...

i am a little suprised they still have virtually ignored No Code, Binural and Riot Act, but it was still an amazing show. great version of Porch, Big Wave will be a staple, Hard to Imagine sounded great, cool to hear them cover Waiting on a Friend, I Got Shit was epic and Life Wasted will NEVER get old. i wish they wouldn't rush through Yellow Ledbetter though -- seems like they play it cause they feel obligated...it's too good of a song to rush through. great show.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    i had a blast.

thanks for the great seats 10c. 8th row was the closest i've ever been at a show, so that made the night that much better.

got to meet lizard and her husband, both very cool people!

thank you pearl jam.

i wish i could have this night over and over again...

Yes. Nice to meet you too--how ya feeling this morning?? :D

I LOVED hearing Hard to Imagine--my husband REALLY wanted to hear that and go it. who was it that said he met Ed after L.A. adn asked him to play it here and Ed said he would if he remembered??? well, I guess he remembered. Low LIght and Crazy Mary were special too as well as the preset.

During Sonic Youth, Ed and Mikey were watching off to the side. Jill was taking pics of SY from all over the venue. Olivia waved at everyone before the start. At the end, Ed said thanks to all who watched SY and supported them, saying you know who you are and so do I.

And thanks 10C for the BEST Seats I ever had too--8th row on the floor, Mike's side.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    vedhead10vedhead10 Posts: 40
    Great show...couldnt smoke though...lit up a joint and had security on us in less than a minute. I was in the 10th row. Mikes side.

Oh yeah, man, there are some smelly ass pearl jam fans. Worst B.O. i've ever encountered. I also encountered some lame ass "lets-sing-every-word-and-act-them-out-as-if-we-were-in-a-music-video" fans. Jesus. You know who you are, and while I appreciate your love and enthusiasm and all around PJ support, seriously, you look like flaming queers.
    "I had a false belief, I thought I came here to stay...We're all just visiting...All just breaking like waves."
    10/19,20/96 11/15/97 7/16/98 10/30,31/99
    10/30,31/00 10/20,21/01 6/1/03 10/25,26/03
    7/13,15,16,18/06 4/5,7,8/08, 8/28/09, *7/9,11,12/11*
    www.fearedandloathed.com
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 68
    vedhead10 wrote:
    Great show...couldnt smoke though...lit up a joint and had security on us in less than a minute. I was in the 10th row. Mikes side.

Oh yeah, man, there are some smelly ass pearl jam fans. Worst B.O. i've ever encountered. I also encountered some lame ass "lets-sing-every-word-and-act-them-out-as-if-we-were-in-a-music-video" fans. Jesus. You know who you are, and while I appreciate your love and enthusiasm and all around PJ support, seriously, you look like flaming queers.

we must have been sitting right next to each other...there were 2 guys right in front of me that spent the night singing to each other....still the best venue i've ever been...
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    I loved the venue..loved the 10C people all around us (10th row near the VIP section)...loved the music...loved the ocean behind and the stars above...can if really get any better?
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    ttmoranttmoran Posts: 16
    great show, amazing venue...

i am a little suprised they still have virtually ignored No Code, Binural and Riot Act, but it was still an amazing show. great version of Porch, Big Wave will be a staple, Hard to Imagine sounded great, cool to hear them cover Waiting on a Friend, I Got Shit was epic and Life Wasted will NEVER get old. i wish they wouldn't rush through Yellow Ledbetter though -- seems like they play it cause they feel obligated...it's too good of a song to rush through. great show.

I hear you, those are probably my favorite three albums.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 68
    I loved the venue..loved the 10C people all around us (10th row near the VIP section)...loved the music...loved the ocean behind and the stars above...can if really get any better?

it really doesn't...best show i've ever been fortunate enough to see...and the best seats i've ever had....thank you so much you invaluable 10club employtees....
  • Options
    jtorresjtorres Posts: 15
    I've been to all shows since Vegas except for the Hollywood show (f*** you KROQ). For me, this was the best show so far when I add everything up. I adored Hard to Image, the closing to Black and the soloing. The solos were awesome in my opinion as compared to other nights. I had amazing 10C seating, section T, Row 11 and the crowd around us was pretty good. I liked this show better than San Diego simply because of the people around me (I had 10C floor seats then, towards the back). What an amazing night! I feel a little cheated (yes I'm being selfish and ungrateful) because of the 15 min intermission while they "changed sets" between the sit down and the rest of the concert. That's an extra two or three songs!!!!
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    USCJeff wrote:
    There was a guy that looked JUST like Neil Young but we decided it wasnt him. Also saw a look alike of Shawn White (the Flying Tomato)

we were hanging out besides the backstage door well before the show and know who you are talking about. the guy definitely was NOT Neil but i had to do a double take. I was ten feet from the guy. Same guy was hanging out with Jack Irons before the show and the Tomato looking kid was Jack's son.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    yowza57 wrote:
    All you posters vowing that this was the most amazing show ever were undoubtedly in the fanclub section, because from my point of view the crowd sucked. You would think this show would have been the one with the most hardcore fans, but no - it had the most rich white people dressed in their most impressive looking clothes looking for the event of the year to get together and chat. High heels? My feet are hurting because of these heels? Please. Throughout the show I could hear more of this chatter than I could the band, I actually had to strain to hear what Ed was saying most of the time. The only time people rocked out was during songs off Ten, and the rest of the time they were asking eachother "what is this??" Not to mention the fact that there was never a 20 minute stretch during the entire set when someone didnt walk in front of me to get more beer. Have these people ever been to a sporting event or concert before, or do they simply think the world revolves around them? Most likely the latter. The people around us were sitting during every song they didnt know until the harder stuff came out. All in all, it was my worst crowd experience. I could hear people behing me talking, I could hear myself singing which is highly unusual, and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to because I was feeling bad that the people behind me couldn't see because I stood the entire time. From my vantage point it looked like an awesome concert for the fanclub section, and the band always sounds great, but I feel sorry for any diehard or tenclub member that was relegated to sitting with the snooty inhabitants of the greater Santa Barbara area. Yes, Last Kiss may have been the only song you wanted to hear, and you did sing along for most of it, albeit with the wrong words, but that doesn't mean it was at the top of my list, so please stop yakking at me because I'm trying to enjoy the show. I'm not a bitter person, but this crowd ruined it for me.
    And that's my two cents.

I hear what your saying, I was surprised at the age of alot of the people at the show. But I think that is more to do with the fact that UCSB is out of session and no kids in SB during the Summer. The last SB show was nuts in 03. I have noticed alot of sitting people at shows all over the California leg. Alot of us are just plain getting older. However we were fairly close to the ten club people and by the end of the show everyone in my section was up just like at every other show. I think the presence of the Ten Club people was more pronounced here because it appeared they got all the floor seats and this was a small venue.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Great show!

Highlights: Hard to Imagine, Elderly Woman, Comatose, Given to Fly, DTE (which I hadn't really liked until hearing it twice this tour), Oceans (my favorite opener besides Release and Long Road)

Lowlights: This is reallly nitpicky, and overall I really LOVED the show, but I wonder why they didn't do any tags at the end of Daughter OR Betterman? Would have loved to have heard Another Brick in the Wall and/or Save It For Later...

Other: I had what were far and away my best seats ever at a PJ concert -- Sec T, Row 9, seats 38-40. When I got to my seats I couldn't believe I was only 9 rows back with #196xxx!!!

The crowd around me was great, as to be expected from the 10C section. Lots of singing along, fist pumping, and overall energy. I brought my girlfriend to her very first PJ concert and she remarked how the energy of the crowd made the show very, very powerful. I think she finally understood, at least a bit, my obessesion with the band.

HOWEVER...I glanced from time to time at the sections behind me and was dismayed at the amount of people standing. Seriously, if you aren't willing to at least get off your ass for the band, why even come? This isn't a fucking Kenny G. concert, for crying out loud.

Also...the Santa Barbara Bowl is a breathtakingly beautiful venue. Very intimate and in a gorgeous setting. However, the small size of the venue (and the fact that it is outdoors) does sap some of the energy out of the fan participation aspect of the show. At the Forum the crowd was so loud that during the "singalong" parts of Betterman, Jeremy, Baba, etc., we were almost as loud as Eddie. At SB, by contrast, the singalongs were absorbed into the atmosphere -- so much so that by the time they got to Betterman, Eddie sang the whole thing by himself.

Not a complaint, just an observation.

Sadly, this was my last PJ show of the year...unless they play Bridge School. :D
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    Prior to the show a few of us hanging out near the concessions stand got to observe the comings and goings of the backstage area. Jack Irons was hanging out the the Neil Young look a like and his kids. Stone came out and hung out with a few of the fans. Boom was hanging out. Finally Mike came out and a few girls near us shouted out for him. He actually did come over to the rail and stood and signed posters, tickets, arms and anything else that people put out their.What a nice guy. Met him in 93 at the Alladin show too and he is still just as down to earth and cool. Thanks Mike! Everyone that can go, support the band and go to Portland. It would mean alot to mike.

On a separate note, this is my 2nd encounter with the Bowl and was told the security at this place was a little heavy handed. I experienced it first hand last night and was also told that there was a large brawl involving security towards the end of the show. My wife said she saw security beating the crap out of a bunch of people. If anyone else saw this please post. I intend to take it up with the County and bring it to the band's attention if it happened.
  • Options
    HBshoresHBshores Posts: 9
    First off huge thanks to the 10c I rocked SD, both LA Forums and now SBB great seats so much fun I am forever in your debt 10c thank you!!

Don't listen to KROQ so I obviously did not win tickets to the Fonda, Hollywood gig. I did think it was great that Steve Jones from Indie 103.1 fm joined the boys for I believe in miracles little local So. Cal radio war thing sorry had to toss that in there see I listen to 103.1 anyhow.

What a venue the SBB is, my SBB seats I believe were sec T. row 10 seat 14 INSANE seats best I have ever had for a PJ gig. The crowd around me was rocking it, totally going for it it was great.

I did take looks at the crowd above and noticed at different times folks sitting and a bit sedate in certain sections maybe the sit down start got them stuck to their seats who knows but hey what are you gonna do my section was killing it.
    Some posters made mention of some fans being a bit overzealous in their singing. I had heard that the SBB has volume restrictions that caused the volume for the show to be turned down.
    So I also had a very poor mans version of Pavarotti sitting behind me going at it at the top of his lungs drowning out Ed. Now I had a buddy who was seeing PJ for the first time with me at this show and he was getting a little hot under the collar at our little Pavarotti in training. Now I am all for singing at PJ gigs believe me I am a main offender but I do know when its time to allow Ed and the boys to do their thing and were we as fans are to jump in and put my ragged pipes to work. I hope one day our little Pavarotti pal figures it out for all whom get stuck sitting in ear shot of his performance to pick his spots a bit better or leave his on 10 pipes to the shower or his own gig.
    Oh well my pal and I made the best of that little nuisance the seats were to good to gripe or sweat the small stuff and as mentioned in previous posts a great setlist was in session.

As far as the attendees that I saw the guy that was to be Neil Young was so far from Neil other than some mutten chops in common it was not even close. I think wishful thinking or to many cervezas was making this an issue but no way was that Neil.
    Did see bass player Tim Commerford of Rage/Audioslave, surf legend Tom Curren, Laird of course, Johnny "yackin' throughout the show" McEnroe, actor ex-Mr. Katie Holmes Chris Klein and Jack Irons.

I had a blast loved the show did think that Ed was maybe a bit weary maybe getting a little overworked just my opinion though. Ed's wife and child are lovely it was neat to see them on tour and so cute seeing his child waving to the crowd.
    Overall a solid setlist strong performance not a bad one in the bunch of shows that I saw giving a nod to the San Diego gig that show was on FIRE!!

After the gig I hit State St. looking for a bite to eat settled on Rocco's Pizzeria were we met some very friendly UCSB co-eds we all went up on a bluff just north of the pier and ate pizza overlooking the moonlit Pacific Ocean I'll leave it at that and say I love Santa Barb. and the bowl.
    Chalked up as another memorable evening with Pearl Jam and Johnny Ramone was definetly in the house last night and not just on the Johnny Ramone shirt I was sporting.
    Cheers all enjoy the rest of the tour I am off to get some waves.......
  • Options
    USCJeffUSCJeff Posts: 92
    Did anyone notice the paramedics helping out Timmy C of Rage and Audioslave before the show? It looked like he ate shit on his bike and had road rash!
  • Options
    jtorresjtorres Posts: 15
    HBshores wrote:
    The crowd around me was rocking it, totally going for it it was great.

I did take looks at the crowd above and noticed at different times folks sitting and a bit sedate in certain sections maybe the sit down start got them stuck to their seats who knows but hey what are you gonna do my section was killing it.

Some posters made mention of some fans being a bit overzealous in their singing. I had heard that the SBB has volume restrictions that caused the volume for the show to be turned down.
    So I also had a very poor mans version of Pavarotti sitting behind me going at it at the top of his lungs drowning out Ed. Now I had a buddy who was seeing PJ for the first time with me at this show and he was getting a little hot under the collar at our little Pavarotti in training. Now I am all for singing at PJ gigs believe me I am a main offender but I do know when its time to allow Ed and the boys to do their thing and were we as fans are to jump in and put my ragged pipes to work. I hope one day our little Pavarotti pal figures it out for all whom get stuck sitting in ear shot of his performance to pick his spots a bit better or leave his on 10 pipes to the shower or his own gig.
    Oh well my pal and I made the best of that little nuisance the seats were to good to gripe or sweat the small stuff and as mentioned in previous posts a great setlist was in session.

Hey, HBShores. My apologies!!! I'm the guilty "Pavarotti" that was sitting behind you and, believe me, being a nuisance was far from my intention. I couldn't sing, talentwise, to save my life. But I do know the lyrics to most of the songs and find it impossible to not to get pumped up and sing my ass off.

But, here's my dilemma: should I be quiet or sing very softly if the people around me aren't singing? I'd have to wait for Jeremy or Alive or Even Flow if that were the case. The thing that makes all those songs super special is the crowd involvement (i.e. EVERYBODY singing their ass off). It's great to see people dancing and rocking out, but isn't a show always better when people show their passion for the music by singing along? Ed obviously loves it. Just recall the performance of "Black". I doubt there were that many musically trained singers in the audience.

Perhaps my opinions are screwed up and I need a new lesson in concert etiquette. What do other posters think? Do I need to sing quietly from now on?
  • Options
    Of the 2 la shows and the sb show, i have to say the first la show kicked some serious ass, but the sb show was such a beautiful venue, and being outdoors it was a very special evening.
    The opening set was amazing. the boys sat down throughout the set, i just got the feeling mikey wanted to kick the chair out and start racing around like the madman he is.
    i could not get fanclub seats this time around, but was lucky enough to pair two singles right next to each other off ticketmaster late tuesday. the difference between sitting in the pj section and the remaining throng is quite noticeable. this couple sitting a row below me texted and played video poker all night long. its like why go.
    sf will be special, with the ga standing. imagine comatose, whipping, you name it. open with release like the last time they played the city. it has been a wild week, i'll never forget. and im 45 check 46 years old. cant wait.
    All together now...
  • Options
    JamminJanJamminJan Posts: 1
    Best seats ever for 10club! 10th row, section v near the aisle. 10c fans rock! All I gotta say about the guy who did'nt like his fan mates singing is "If you can't stand the heat (or the B.O....) get outta the front (or 10th) row."

Highlights for me:
    10th F...ING ROW! Being there for Hide Your Love Away. Elderly Woman, great versions of Black, Crazy Mary, Given to Fly. Unexpected treat...Waitin on a Friend. Didn't even get this at the Sept. '05 Pittsburgh show! 10th F...ING ROW! All my new favorites off the latest LP...Big Wave, Severed Hand, Comatose, WWS, etc... Seeing Eddies gals waving back to the crowd.

Lowlights for me:
    Shorter versions of Ledbetter, Daughter, etc...but I'm not complaining. Looking around and seeing the crowd above and behind us sitting down during the show. The guy beside us with his hands in his pockets the whole time. Hearing that we saw Boom, but somehow missed Mike!

All in all... great show, I woulda paid twice as much for the seats we had at the bowl Thurs night.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    First off, thanks Ten Club, 6th row Mike's side..incredible view. Best I've had from the Ten Club yet. Only bad thing was I stood next to one of the "statues" that didn't sing a word the whole night or move, and looked over at me everytime I would sing too loud or get rocking..he came with his girlfriend who was I guess the fan club member.

Highlights..Waiting On a Friend, Hard to Imagine, Oceans, Mike's Evenflow solo(amazing), Black. Eddie seemed really emotional to sing Black..which surprised me still after all these years..he added a tag line about how the music makes it better or something at the end..he seemed dazed as he finished...

My wife was going on and on about how beautiful Olivia was, and how much she looks like Eddie. Jill was rocking on the side the whole show, Olivia for about 10 songs..bedtime I guess??

Saw shows in SD, LA1 and LA 2, and SB. Wish I could go on to SF and the Gorge, but hope to see PJ in 2007. Thanks guys!!!
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Went to LA1 show with my 12 year old son-had great 10c seats. What a great night. The band was great and the crowd was right there with each and every song. Simply one of the best concerts I have ever been to. Went to Santa Barbara with my wife. Unable to get !0c tickets seats-sold out too fast, but the seats we got were still pretty good. Alot of the surrounding people in our section were not the fans I am use to being with (10c members). They didn't know the music and seemed to be there mostly for the social thing. Perhaps, given time, they too will appreciate the band as I do. Overall the band played a great and truly special set. The night at the SB Bowl made the evening all the better, great weather and a view of the ocean . A perfect place to start out with Oceans. In all the years I have been following the band they have never let me down. They always give 110%. They deserve great deal of thanks for the wonderful things they have done and for trying to make this a better place for everyone through their music and there social actions! Thanks, and keep Rockin for a Free World
  • Options
    jtorres wrote:
    Hey, HBShores. My apologies!!! I'm the guilty "Pavarotti" that was sitting behind you and, believe me, being a nuisance was far from my intention. I couldn't sing, talentwise, to save my life. But I do know the lyrics to most of the songs and find it impossible to not to get pumped up and sing my ass off.

But, here's my dilemma: should I be quiet or sing very softly if the people around me aren't singing? I'd have to wait for Jeremy or Alive or Even Flow if that were the case. The thing that makes all those songs super special is the crowd involvement (i.e. EVERYBODY singing their ass off). It's great to see people dancing and rocking out, but isn't a show always better when people show their passion for the music by singing along? Ed obviously loves it. Just recall the performance of "Black". I doubt there were that many musically trained singers in the audience.

Perhaps my opinions are screwed up and I need a new lesson in concert etiquette. What do other posters think? Do I need to sing quietly from now on?

Well if that was you that is some funny shit. Hell no. I was a Pavarotti of my lameass no singing section and I did not care what anyone thought. Sing your ass off!
  • Options
    Special thanks go to Mike(for the ride up to the SB Bowl) and for just being a real good person, and to Brent, who saw me in the drop line and recognized me from outside the Fonda from the day before and hooked me up with his 10c extra ticket. Thanks to Nora and Kathy for looking out for me too and having my back with a spare ticket just in case also. Such good good people out there and they all need a thanking from me!!!

I thought the SB show was very good. I liked when Ed gave the hang loose sign to his girl when she was waving to him which I think happened during Daughter oddly enough. I like the cliche of John McEnroe and his shirt which read FVCK YOU on the back of it lol. So funny. I was mostly happy that I didn't see any Olsen Twins getting front row priority for once. After NJ2 and LA1 I didn't think I would be able to take seeing them there with security on either side of them for another whole show. Can someone tell me how they get that side front row anyway either. Were they even alive in 91? :-)

I am pretty sure I am going to Seattle. Anyone hanging in the city and driving out?

Okay, it's getting late and this wound up being longer than I expected!

Sweet Dreams,
    :-)
    Keith
    10/22/00 LV, 10/24/00 LA, 10/20/01 SF, 10/21/01 AF, 12/8/02 SEA, 12/9/02 SEA, 6/3/03 Irvine, 7/9/03 MSG, 9/1/05 Gorge, 6/3/06 NJ, 7/9/06 LA, 7/10/06 LA, 7/12/06 The Fonda, 7/13/06 SB, 7/22/06 Gorge, 7/23/06 Gorge, 10/21/06 SF, 10/22/06 SF, 12/2/06 HAW, 12/9/06 HAW, 4/10/08 SB, 4/12/08 LA, 4/15/08 SD
  • Options
    mdeeveemdeevee Posts: 1
    Westernsky wrote:
    :eek: *ears perk up*... alright Marcy, spill it. :D:D:D:D:D PM me chica!

I can't sleep, I can't stop humming "Waiting for a Friend," and I keep thinking about tonight's (well now last night) show.

* I really hope someone out there got a picture of Stone kneeling in front of Jeff. :eek: Totally hilarious :D

I was thinking the same thing!

What an awesome show. My third and best this week.

Westernsky, what side were you on?