Options

*** Santa Barbara Fanviews 7/13 Here ***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited October 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
~

Ed Pre-Set: You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Pearl Jam Set List: Oceans, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Low Light, Waiting On A Friend, Hard To Imagine, Daughter, Last Kiss, Come Back, Black, Crazy Mary

1st Encore: (Interstellar Overdrive) / Corduroy, Severed Hand, World Wide Suicide, Given To Fly, Marker In The Sand, Even Flow, Whipping, I Got Id, U, Do The Evolution, Porch

2nd Encore: Big Wave, Better Man, Comatose, Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, Rocking In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter / (Star Spangled Banner)

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

Early Set List Source Message Pit's: “metved98”

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Synapses FlashingSynapses Flashing Ventura, CA Posts: 86
    Just got back from the show. Seemed a tad short, but they had so much energy I hardly noticed. First time at a show without Alive, but that just meant we got some other great stuff. Highlights for me were Lowlight and Hard to Imagine. DTE was awesome as usual and the crowd was really into it. I loved seeing the crowd waving to Ed's daughter just before the show started and her waving back. It looked like Ed was looking at her quite a bit while they did Daughter and he gave her a little "hang loose" gesture at the end. Sweet. They looked like they were having a lot of fun out there. Lots of smiles. I know they wanted to stay longer but the curfew cut them short.
    11-7-95 San Diego Sports Arena (originally 6-7-95 in Del Mar)7-14-98 LA
    6-3-03 Irvine7-7-06 San Diego7-9/10-06 LA7-13-06 Santa Barbara7-16-06 San Francisco7-22/23-06 Gorge12-2-06 Honolulu4-10-08 Santa Barbara (Ed)4-13-08 LA (Ed)
  • Options
    In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    This show was basically the most expensive in my eyes...and in the end it was a lot shorter than the previous Cali ones. It was a good show and I dug the first set. However, with a curfew set, I don't get how the tix were so much. I just don't... at least I got to see them and Santa Barbara. Good times. Looking forward to Portland and Gorge.
  • Options
    USCJeffUSCJeff Posts: 92
    Great show! Did seem a bit short, but the "acoustic" first part of the set was sweet.

I also got to meet Mike right as Sonic Youth was ending. He was hanging out signing stuff right by the foodstand. Pretty cool!
  • Options
    Just got home.... am really tired.... will finish this in the mornin!!!
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    it was a beautiful evening and the first set seemed perfect for the setting sun.

ed said that the bowl reminded him of a 'mini gorge' and that the show might as well be a 'mini gorge' as well.

'hard to imagine' was beautiful

i can never get enough of 'crazy mary'. boom and mike jammed like mad men at the end of the song.

got to meet a couple of the people from the touring van

an excellent show!!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    MeijinMeijin Posts: 51
    So, I just arrived home from SB and this is the first review of my run thus far that I'll post because it felt like the first good point to do it, first time to look back on what's happened so far.

1) Hide Your Love Away preset -- great stuff. I had to call my fiancee and let her hear it over the phone. Yes, I was That Guy for a song, but just that song. (For those keeping score and who followed the SB relay thread -- LogicbeforeBeauty is it. :) )

2) Sonic Youth is finally breaking up the setlist, and their opening act was so much better for it. It's still very heavy on the new album, but there was a little more variety this time around.

3) Acoustic/Electric format. Great. Eddie said that they loved playing the Gorge & that SB reminded the band of a mini-gorge. The acoustic set really threw me for a loop, not so much in format but in setlist. Low Light was great, Hard To Imagine was great. The energy for the show was still on a slow burn at this time. As mentioned elsewhere, Eddie's daughter waved to the crowd and we (at least the floor) waved back. There's not much I have to say about the acoustic set... it was good, but nothing was totally unexpected. The jam between Stone & Boom on the solo section of Crazy Mary was solid, some great playing there. Boom got some big cheers for this one.

4) Intermission. We start scouting out the VIP area; Jack Irons was in attendance and several people said they saw Neil Young. This gave us hopes for an epic RITFW, but, alas, it was not to be...

5) Main set. The energy took off here. Saying the next one was "for Syd", they launched off into Interstellar Overdrive. Felt marginally more jammed out than some of the versions I remember from the '00 tour but nothing extremely long. Segue to Corduroy, and the crowd gets jumping.

Severed Hand was where the energy really started to build, plenty of people were up and jumping and singing along at this point. This was a welcome sight to my eyes; I had been unhappy with LA crowds; I think this was a result of a killer SD crowd and poor seats the first night (I only have myself to blame for that one).

By Given To Fly, everyone on the floor from my vantage point was dancing along and singing, the energy was really high. Also thrilling for me was U. I know it's not an all-time greatest hit, but I'd been wanting to hear it. Crowd didn't seem to get too into this one... heck, a lot of the people didn't even seem to know it. DTE was absolutely the high point, everyone went nuts and was totally into it.

A close second was Comatose -- I wasn't a fan of this on record, but have completely converted after hearing the live version. It's so balls-out rock that I can't deny it. A lot of people in my immediate vicinity screaming along at full volume. Hell of a lot of fun.

RITFW was good; not very long. Yellow Ledbetter also seemed truncated -- guess they were very conscious of the curfew. All very fun. During RITFW, Mike bolted off to the right towards the VIP area... my area collectively seemed to expect Neil Young to walk out at any second. Nope. I'm not sure it was him in retrospect -- could be wrong. Ed did call out Jack Irons before the show and we all gave a round of applause. (Would have been great to have heard him on the drums as well!)

All in all, a fun show. Not as epic as the SD, but a great crowd and the band seemed to be in a good mood again.

At this point I have to stop for a second and address the tour as a whole that I've seen (from LV forward).

Band has been solid from San Diego on -- SD was a fireball performance, and the band has been on for everything since. This is really shaping up to be a killer run and I'm hoping it continues on into San Francisco, which is where my run ends this time around.

This is the first time I really have followed any band for any number of shows and I've met some really cool people along the way -- most notably Dave from NY (nice tattoo! Glad you finally got it and glad I got to see it) and Mike(?) from Boston, along with your wife (sorry, bad with the names today). Enjoyed talking with you guys, really fun getting a different perspective on everything. Also chatted with the guy from NZ via Canada, doing a run from LV to the Gorge for a while today. I mention these people specifically because they've all mentioned the message boards, signifying some sort of low-level Pearl Jam geek bond. Then again, you guys are thousands of miles from home to see a concert, and I cut work for a couple weeks, so I question "low-level". And after hearing so many sentences in line the last few days start with the phrase, "I saw on the messageboards..." I think geek cannot be omitted. :)

I'd always heard the word "Jamily" tossed around and kind of thought it to be just kind of a toss-off fun word that didn't really hold any meaning, but I see that I was wrong. It's been fun running into people, trading stories, following up with people at the next show about the last show, etc. It really has been a lot of fun and I hope to see a lot of the same faces at shows in the future.

And, I think I've managed to notch up my fiancee's PJ fan level a bit. So that's always good. :)

So, tomorrow I head up north. Looking forward to seeing more shows, hope the energy from SoCal can make the trip north, and hope to see some of you in SF! (or Kettleman City at In & Out for lunch... )
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    We were excited to see Sonic Youth as we'd always somehow missed them as an opener. They did a great set and we could see Ed and Mike peeking out and watching the crowd as they watched the band play. Later, at the end of PJ's show Ed said "we really appreciate those who supported Sonic Youth, you know who you are and so do we." He looked directly at us and then threw us a tamborine! Awesome. They really don't miss much up there. It was a "shorter" concert, but that is because of the time constraints put on by the venue (being in a residential area). Mike was crazy tonight I thought, Ed reflective (at the end of Black when everyone was doing the do, do, do's ) he put his hand on his heart and said "you've made it all positive" like in the Storyteller story about Alive. Very sentimental and touching. The new songs absolutely rocked. Big Wave was as fun and I imagined it would be. Severed Hand I loved as well as Marker. Comatose rocked. Also, Come Back in the early softer set. Also, finally got to hear Oceans for our first time in 21 concerts. Met some cool fans, had a great time. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    wolfbear wrote:
    We were excited to see Sonic Youth as we'd always somehow missed them as an opener. They did a great set and we could see Ed and Mike peeking out and watching the crowd as they watched the band play. Later, at the end of PJ's show Ed said "we really appreciate those who supported Sonic Youth, you know who you are and so do we." He looked directly at us and then threw us a tamborine! Awesome. They really don't miss much up there. It was a "shorter" concert, but that is because of the time constraints put on by the venue (being in a residential area). Mike was crazy tonight I thought, Ed reflective (at the end of Black when everyone was doing the do, do, do's ) he put his hand on his heart and said "you've made it all positive" like in the Storyteller story about Alive. Very sentimental and touching. The new songs absolutely rocked. Big Wave was as fun and I imagined it would be. Severed Hand I loved as well as Marker. Comatose rocked. Also, Come Back in the early softer set. Also, finally got to hear Oceans for our first time in 21 concerts. Met some cool fans, had a great time. :)
    WOLFY!!!!!

glad ya had a good time.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    Ok everyone out here is still out and fucked up. This was the best of the west. Earlier posters were not from SB and they could not deal. Great stories from this show. I own a Mike McCready signed ticket because he was nice enough to come out and mingle and sign. Nice guy. Amazing show. Show started with sun up. Wild. Amazing.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    WOLFY!!!!!

glad ya had a good time.....

We did, and thank you. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    who saw john mccenroe besides me?
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    Yeah, we spotted him as well. I forget the whole list of names the people around me came up with. (Sec T row 13 near the center aisle.)
  • Options
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 6
    Laird Hamilton was in the house (again) tonight, and got a shout out (again) from Eddie before Big Wave.
  • Options
    WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    Wow...
    Just got back from the SB show and I'm a little speechless. The tickets were amazing, thank you 10c, the crowd was totally into it and they definitely delivered.
    I kept teling my friend that this was gonna be *the* show, and I was right. Oceans and Lowlight were gorgeous - and Waiting on a friend was worth the price of admission alone (yes, I mean $80).

A big shout out to everyone we saw tonight from the Fonda. Marcy you rock - I hope that wine was sweet! Mike I'm glad you made it and Keith that ticket was just waiting for you. Shaun and VinceInHiding you guys are totally VIPS and its no wonder you got back there. Stone is right, you do have beautiful eyes. ;) LOL!!! (Now THAT cracked me up!)
  • Options
    Westernsky wrote:
    Marcy you rock - I hope that wine was sweet! Mike I'm glad you made it and Keith that ticket was just waiting for you. Shaun and VinceInHiding you guys are totally VIPS and its no wonder you got back there. Stone is right, you do have beautiful eyes. ;) LOL!!! (Now THAT cracked me up!)

The BEST wine ever!!!! Such a great show! I enjoyed rockin' out next to you. Kathy needs to share her Ed vibes so we can get picks and tambourines!!! Just don't tell her I shook Jeff's hand after the show... :)
  • Options
    WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    :eek: *ears perk up*... alright Marcy, spill it. :D:D:D:D:D PM me chica!

I can't sleep, I can't stop humming "Waiting for a Friend," and I keep thinking about tonight's (well now last night) show.

* I really hope someone out there got a picture of Stone kneeling in front of Jeff. :eek: Totally hilarious :D
  • Options
    sugary sweet
    little hereandthere
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    Must be nice to see a "short" 28 song set and an Ed preset.
  • Options
    LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 151
    yea, when did 28 songs become "short" ?

what the hell.

looks awesome.
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    i had a blast.

thanks for the great seats 10c. 8th row was the closest i've ever been at a show, so that made the night that much better.

got to meet lizard and her husband, both very cool people!

thank you pearl jam.

i wish i could have this night over and over again...
  • Options
    neil is on tour in canada. he most certainly was not there.

That's what I thought, but there was a guy in the group I was standing in who said the tour wasn't for a few days -- not following NY's tour schedule, I thought he may have known what he was talking about. Clearly, not. :)
  • Options
    LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 151
    Meijin wrote:
    That's what I thought, but there was a guy in the group I was standing in who said the tour wasn't for a few days -- not following NY's tour schedule, I thought he may have known what he was talking about. Clearly, not. :)

neil has a show in mpls tomorrow night
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    In2Deep wrote:
    This show was basically the most expensive in my eyes...and in the end it was a lot shorter than the previous Cali ones. It was a good show and I dug the first set. However, with a curfew set, I don't get how the tix were so much. I just don't... at least I got to see them and Santa Barbara. Good times. Looking forward to Portland and Gorge.

the show was 2 1/2 hours.....sometimes you need to appreciate quality over quantity......and the ticket prices were high because they play a much smaller venue then usual.

overthinking the price/duration will ruin the show if you dwell on it to much, my friend!
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    yea, when did 28 songs become "short" ?

what the hell.

looks awesome.

I think it felt a little short because after the first 10 songs, Eddie said they were gonna change out the set. Ed said they would play a mini gorge set and I guess most people thought there would be another set and 2 encores. It was still a great show. I can't believe i've heard Oceans 2 times this tour already. The Gorge in about a week!!
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    USCJeffUSCJeff Posts: 92
    There was a guy that looked JUST like Neil Young but we decided it wasnt him. Also saw a look alike of Shawn White (the Flying Tomato)
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 68
    thank you so much 10C...greatest seats i've ever had for a show...and the most beautiful show i've ever seen...
  • Options
    yowza57yowza57 Posts: 9
    All you posters vowing that this was the most amazing show ever were undoubtedly in the fanclub section, because from my point of view the crowd sucked. You would think this show would have been the one with the most hardcore fans, but no - it had the most rich white people dressed in their most impressive looking clothes looking for the event of the year to get together and chat. High heels? My feet are hurting because of these heels? Please. Throughout the show I could hear more of this chatter than I could the band, I actually had to strain to hear what Ed was saying most of the time. The only time people rocked out was during songs off Ten, and the rest of the time they were asking eachother "what is this??" Not to mention the fact that there was never a 20 minute stretch during the entire set when someone didnt walk in front of me to get more beer. Have these people ever been to a sporting event or concert before, or do they simply think the world revolves around them? Most likely the latter. The people around us were sitting during every song they didnt know until the harder stuff came out. All in all, it was my worst crowd experience. I could hear people behing me talking, I could hear myself singing which is highly unusual, and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to because I was feeling bad that the people behind me couldn't see because I stood the entire time. From my vantage point it looked like an awesome concert for the fanclub section, and the band always sounds great, but I feel sorry for any diehard or tenclub member that was relegated to sitting with the snooty inhabitants of the greater Santa Barbara area. Yes, Last Kiss may have been the only song you wanted to hear, and you did sing along for most of it, albeit with the wrong words, but that doesn't mean it was at the top of my list, so please stop yakking at me because I'm trying to enjoy the show. I'm not a bitter person, but this crowd ruined it for me.
    And that's my two cents.
  • Options
    tarkman1tarkman1 Posts: 1
    I'm not sure the venue or the crowd was ideal. The band sounded great. I think the open air and the crowd detracted form this show. It's as if the energy was evaporating into the air. If you put the band in San Diego, the show would have really awesome. The band kept giving and giving, but I didn't feel like the crowd was giving back like I had at other shows, like San Diego in 2000. Example, I erupted before the first chord in 'Black' was complete. I was getting strange looks from people around me. C'mon. It's Black. I'll give the crowd credit for stepping up as the show progressed. On a different note, the show was all about Pearl Jam being a band and playing as a band. No Tim Robbins. No Kelly Slater. Just Pearl Jam!

I was a bit worried in the first songs of the mainly acoustic style opening set. I did enjoy Waiting For Friend (from the Rolling Stones) just because I got a chance to hear some guitar licks that don't come up in Pearl Jam's own songs. With Eddy seated, his voice seemed restrained. I thought maybe it was strained from the tour, then I ditched that idea when he stood to sing Crazy Mary. Then, I heard the voice, deep and resonating. Whew.

1st Encore Set - Corduroy was really the first song. They blasted into that with a sledgehammer. They definitely switched gears from the previous set. All of the band members were putting out. From then on, Mike was animated and all over the stage. Eddy wasn't holding back and definitely not going through the motions. I hope him and Matt get some waves today, granted they probably are a bit spent to be out at the crack of dawn.

I'd say look for Life Wasted and World Wide Suicide to be future great concert songs. They came across really well.

I was officially spent after Betterman but I got a second wind. I thought the show may have ended with RITFW because the house lights were on, but the band had one more left in them.

Verdict: Good, solid show, but not great. The stars didn't quite align for that.

Other: Eddy had the spotlight on him during DTE. He put the guitar on his shoulders and reflected the beam and panned through the crowd. I hadn't seen anyone do that.
  • Options
    my view of the show was not based on the crowd...yes the crowd blew...i had the two drunkest 10c members next to me...and i'm glad to say by the 2nd song of the 2nd set...they had both been removed by security...and yes i had to watch johnny macenroe chat everyone up right next to me...but it wasn't about that...the energy coming from the band in this beautiful setting took me to another place...for me it was easy to look beyond the chatting soroity girls and frat boys....and this was the end of my little mini tour...both l.a. shows were great..but it was there last night...and this morning i went out and caught myself a big fucking wave...all in all a good fucking week...
  • Options
    and yeah i did have fanclub tickets...which FUCKING ROCKED...