Options

*** Rock Werchter Festival Fanviews 29/6/07 ***

Comments

• Options
    Awesome concert. They couldn't start with a better song than "Go" (saw Instellar Overdrive/Corduroy as opener a while ago also in Belgium, but Go is so much better).
    I was surprised to hear Dissident (not 1 of my favourite live songs on the bootlegs, but it was played very good and one of the best moments of the concert for me).
    Animal and Given To Fly very good as always. It was very nice to hear them play God's Dice. Another favourite of mine was when Eddie came back and played "No More" (first time i heard it and i can't explain how good it was). Than they started playing Smile, awesome live song (can't understand they don't play it more often).
    Before the concert i was hoping for Daughter and Rearviewmirror, in my opinion it's also 1 of the weakest setlists of the whole tour, but they played so good with alot of energy and it's surely 1 of the best concerts i've ever seen. Next time they come to Europa i'm gonna try to go to more than 1 concert that's for sure.
  • Options
    yatahe wrote:
    Please don't leave us hanging...what did you chat about? Lucky.
    how it was nice to meet up with him again,my wife did work for them and i did some driving back in 96&2000.we spoke about jeffs bass on ebay and the documentry he did with his surfer pal,cant remember the guys name.he was in very high spirits and had a wonderfull photo taken with him.
    i had AAA passes so could go anywhere even on stage.oh yeah was with eddie onstage rocking out to qotsa!
    COYS!
  • Options
    b-boy wrote:
    What do you mean chatting to Ed backstage? I had a backstage pass but did not go there because I thought it would not be anything special. Could not imagine to actually meet PJ there.
    was it a guest pass?or artist pass?
    COYS!
  • Options
    b-boyb-boy Posts: 6
    was it a guest pass?or artist pass?

I had a guest pass.
  • Options
    b-boyb-boy Posts: 6
    WHAAAAAT?!! You could've given it to me then...!! :eek:
    How did you get such a pass anyways?

Through a friend who works for mtv networks.
  • Options
    lucky people with passes :D
    Ok, so Rock Wercther... hmm, definitely not my cup of tea... I hated the atmosphere, it was all just about beer and weed. The bands where all fantastic, imho, and i was v.excited about seeing everyone from KoL onwards, but i was so disappointed seeing the huuuuge crowd in front of me, that was so high on various "substances" that i didn't want to even try pushing my way in the front. I just stayed in the back and watched the screens and enjoyed myself. KoL and Bloc Party blew the stage off, i love them!
    But definitely not going back there again, those festival go-ers knew nothing about enjoying good music. What's the point of going to the front if you're not into the band? Thank god i was in Nijmegen too...
    PJ was fantastic of course, very entertaining, and i think they caught the attention of everyone in there, even the non-fans. "Once" totally bashed the place, i fucking love the aggressive bitterness of that song and i didn't expect to hear it in a festival! Porch and the "wave" was a highlight as well!
    Also Dissident and the "making babies" line was a treat, and Smile and Small Town were lovely moments, i was wishing so hard i could hear those songs in this tour, i think their melody makes the world light up:)
    But the moment for me was Baba... I couldn't believe it, that was the only song left i really really wanted to hear, but had given up on it, since they didn't play it on Nijmegen. I was suprised they played it on a festival like they did, but boy boy boyyyy was it fantastic, the "windmill" was so funny! What a glorious way to finish that night, and so fitting as well, "teenage waistland, they're all waisted". They went over the time curfew as well, didn't they? :D
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    lucky people with passes :D
    Ok, so Rock Wercther... hmm, definitely not my cup of tea... I hated the atmosphere, it was all just about beer and weed. The bands where all fantastic, imho, and i was v.excited about seeing everyone from KoL onwards, but i was so disappointed seeing the huuuuge crowd in front of me, that was so high on various "substances" that i didn't want to even try pushing my way in the front. I just stayed in the back and watched the screens and enjoyed myself. KoL and Bloc Party blew the stage off, i love them!
    But definitely not going back there again, those festival go-ers knew nothing about enjoying good music. What's the point of going to the front if you're not into the band? Thank god i was in Nijmegen too...
    PJ was fantastic of course, very entertaining, and i think they caught the attention of everyone in there, even the non-fans. "Once" totally bashed the place, i fucking love the aggressive bitterness of that song and i didn't expect to hear it in a festival! Porch and the "wave" was a highlight as well!
    Also Dissident and the "making babies" line was a treat, and Smile and Small Town were lovely moments, i was wishing so hard i could hear those songs in this tour, i think their melody makes the world light up:)
    But the moment for me was Baba... I couldn't believe it, that was the only song left i really really wanted to hear, but had given up on it, since they didn't play it on Nijmegen. I was suprised they played it on a festival like they did, but boy boy boyyyy was it fantastic, the "windmill" was so funny! What a glorious way to finish that night, and so fitting as well, "teenage waistland, they're all waisted". They went over the time curfew as well, didn't they? :D
    Glad you liked it...highlight for me were Brain of J. and definitely Smile...

* and I'm still sick (flu) :(
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    They went over the time curfew as well, didn't they? :D

About 10 minutes I think. :)
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    Angus wrote:
    About 10 minutes I think. :)
    enough time to blow my mind away with Baba O' Riley :D
    In my opinion the setlist wasn't that much mainstream, it had quite a few suprises!
    It just dawned on me, those people that had backstage passes, should have asked Ed and the boys why on earth they are not releasing bootlegs from this tour. For the life of me i don't get this, snif :(
  • Options
    For the Belgians:

Gent-based artist Sioen (Frederic Sioen) was playing Werchter as well on Friday. He is quite a big Pearl Jam fan and said meeting Eddie Vedder backstage was an incredibly experience for him. Then someone asked: "what did you say and what did Eddie say?" He answered: "well, I said 'Hello Eddie' and he said 'Hellow Freddie'. And since then we spend our new year's eve nights together and are like best friends". He also said he gave Eddie a disc with his cover of Indifference. I'm gonna see if I can get a hold on this version. Would love to hear it.
  • Options
    A big kiss to all you pj-fans,

it's great to read all these comments on the events, for a while I thought I was the only die hard pj-fan, together with brammie by all means;-)
    Especially after watching the Werchter-gigg. Standing at a good 20 meters from the stage, i felt alone amongst 80 000 music fans, a few recognized the opening chords and started screaming their lungs out. Too bad there were too many thinking "oh well, now i'm here i could easily stay for pearl jam, i know a few songs here and there..." No offense, but as much as i enjoyed seeing them live, next time it will be a pearl jam only concert... Maybe, this time eddie will consider playing Black for me (the benaroya way!!!!!). Thank god we got a killer version from better man, porch, smile and ... the whole setlist actually ;)
    Hope to see you all soon at a next europêan tour, maybe even this century...
    Hey Ho Let's Go!
    TR
  • Options
    A big kiss to all you pj-fans,

it's great to read all these comments on the events, for a while I thought I was the only die hard pj-fan, together with brammie by all means;-)
    Especially after watching the Werchter-gigg. Standing at a good 20 meters from the stage, i felt alone amongst 80 000 music fans, a few recognized the opening chords and started screaming their lungs out. Too bad there were too many thinking "oh well, now i'm here i could easily stay for pearl jam, i know a few songs here and there..." No offense, but as much as i enjoyed seeing them live, next time it will be a pearl jam only concert... Maybe, this time eddie will consider playing Black for me (the benaroya way!!!!!). Thank god we got a killer version from better man, porch, smile and ... the whole setlist actually ;)
    Hope to see you all soon at a next europêan tour, maybe even this century...
    Hey Ho Let's Go!
    TR
    totally agree Tidus, if u want a good show, u gotta do a pearljam-only concert, otherwise, u'd be disappointed
    I missed Black too , but hell, we got Smile and Baba :D
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Made the trip from America to see Pearl Jam in Europe. Yes, Werchter was our last stop (as it was Pearl Jams). Wow, what a clusterfuck that festival is, and I really don't mean that in a bad way. Just so many fucking people. We only went for the one day. Got there at about 5am (I think). Slept at the front gates until they opened and ran (well, my friends did) to the very front to secure a rail for the show. We stood at that fucking rail for 13 hours!!!
    We didn't eat, we didn't drink beer, we didn't pee, we didn't move. If you left, there was no getting back. Five of us on the rail.....I actually slept a good part of the day resting my head on the rail. My friends were going to kill me.
    Security pointed and laughed at me. I was fucking tired (and I had eaten a whole space cake from amsterdam before the show). QOTSA woke my high tired ass up.
    Ah......and Pearl Jam. I loved every minute of it. I had about 79,999 people smashing me into a rail. We all left the show bruised and sore and starving.
    Walked about 2.5 miles thru drunk concert goers to our Touring Van and headed back to the Airport in Dusseldorf Germany. (where we started our European Tour) We boarded our plane after rocking the last two festivals on the tour WITHOUT SHOWERING. Ugh......all in the name of rock and roll. I LOVE MY LIFE!~

*** also, Jeff gave his setlist to jasmin (yeild2pearljam: the worlds biggest jeff fan) and there were about 8 songs on the setlist that didn't get played. Not sure if it was a curfew thing or if Eddie was just to wasted***
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    PJPixie wrote:
    Made the trip from America to see Pearl Jam in Europe. Yes, Werchter was our last stop (as it was Pearl Jams). Wow, what a clusterfuck that festival is, and I really don't mean that in a bad way. Just so many fucking people. We only went for the one day. Got there at about 5am (I think). Slept at the front gates until they opened and ran (well, my friends did) to the very front to secure a rail for the show. We stood at that fucking rail for 13 hours!!!
    We didn't eat, we didn't drink beer, we didn't pee, we didn't move. If you left, there was no getting back. Five of us on the rail.....I actually slept a good part of the day resting my head on the rail. My friends were going to kill me.
    Security pointed and laughed at me. I was fucking tired (and I had eaten a whole space cake from amsterdam before the show). QOTSA woke my high tired ass up.
    Ah......and Pearl Jam. I loved every minute of it. I had about 79,999 people smashing me into a rail. We all left the show bruised and sore and starving.
    Walked about 2.5 miles thru drunk concert goers to our Touring Van and headed back to the Airport in Dusseldorf Germany. (where we started our European Tour) We boarded our plane after rocking the last two festivals on the tour WITHOUT SHOWERING. Ugh......all in the name of rock and roll. I LOVE MY LIFE!~

*** also, Jeff gave his setlist to jasmin (yeild2pearljam: the worlds biggest jeff fan) and there were about 8 songs on the setlist that didn't get played. Not sure if it was a curfew thing or if Eddie was just to wasted***
    oh my god, you're my hero ... can't believe what u've been through!
    so no beer huh? i thought me and my friend where the only ones in that festival that didn't dare to drink beer, in fear of the toilets!
    i salute you!
  • Options
    brunoverbrunover Posts: 2
    I really loved the playlist... it was just a best-off. But i agree : I prefer to see them indoors than on a festival.
    But it was a nice concert and I won't forget it... Like the rest of the shows I saw the last year...

If they come back... I'll be there!
    Bis Vivet Qui Bene Vivet....

PJ @ Pinkpop 1992 & 2000, Antwerp 2006, Paris 2006, Düsseldorf 2007, Werchter 2007

www.myspace.com/brunover
  • Options
    MiraMira Posts: 2
    Woow It was Fucking amazing!! I had the time of my life buth its true what there saying the moste of the crowd was just standig still,, i dindt understand it!! i just was jumping , screaming , singin just went crazy.
    I was standing on the left side a bit back ,, i think 5t row
    On the other side , i dint care at all!! i have the time of my life.
    The highlights voor me where defetnly Go , Animal SMILE!! Porch
    dissident Gods Dice WHY GO it just was an amazing setlist.
    I think you just can not compere a festival-concert with a indoor pj concert where only real pj fans come to.
    the bit whit josh homme was verry nice , he's a verry cool guy

Kisses and Hugs

Mira!!

pc:Sorry for my bad english writing!:)
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Mira wrote:
    buth its true what there saying the moste of the crowd was just standig still,, i dindt understand it!!

Almost everyone of them were Belgians :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    parel jam wrote:
    Almost everyone of them were Belgians :)

I've read tons of people saying that there have never been as much foreigners on Werchter as on that Friday. I must say, I've been every year since 2000 and I would agree with that. So, there ends your point. :)
  • Options
    redladyredlady Posts: 602
    Angus wrote:
    I've read tons of people saying that there have never been as much foreigners on Werchter as on that Friday. I must say, I've been every year since 2000 and I would agree with that. So, there ends your point. :)
    To be exact 50 different nationalities....so not that manny Belgians...:)

Forgot to mention PJ was on TMF last night they showed the five songs who also were broadcast on the radio and the live streaming....AND I MISSED IT FUCK....but they are going to show it again i think on sunday or monday not sure yet....he...he...
    Pukkelpop '95 Neil Young with Pearl Jam without EV
    Antwerp 30-08-2006
    Berlin 23-09-2006
    Rock Werchter 29-06-2007
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010
    Rock Werchter 04-07-2010
  • Options
    till then, u can hear the show here
    http://www.stubru.be/node/18344 :)

p.s. i wish i knew the nationalities ratio on that festival, but i couldn't understand a single thing, apart from the French, the rest for me it was just "ich, jjj, dong" etc :p
    I went to the hotdog counter to get a hotdog and said to the guy serving me "please put on some mustard", and the guy queuing beside me was so impressed : "mustarrrd! that's english, yesh ? "
    that cracked me up , lol
  • Options
    JeronimoJeronimo Posts: 30
    PJPixie wrote:
    there were about 8 songs on the setlist that didn't get played. Not sure if it was a curfew thing or if Eddie was just to wasted***

8 songs not played??
    Do you happen to know what songs? And where in the setlist (end, halfway, encores?)
    Antwerp, Belgium 8/30/06
    Rock Werchter, Belgium 06/29/07

"Finally" (E.V., Antwerp 8/30/06)
    "See you next year" (E.V., Antwerp 8/30/06)
    => never thought he meant it!
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    Hee pp, finally got my photos and vids ready for you all to enjoy.

For my personal favorite photos: http://reducetosilence.blogspot.com

For a whole bunch of photos: http://flickr.com/photos/kushikushun

For a whole bunch of vids of which one is from Werchter (Smile) and others from Dusseldorf and Nijmegen: http://youtube.com/kushikushun (there are more on there then it shows on the first page! You can find them by clicking on 'more videos' somewhere under the first nine vids):

Now, I hope they wont be deleted...
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    gawd, Kushi, u're organised!
    here, i'll offer smth as well :
    Eddie smashing the place (and tambourines) with Kings of Leon
    Slow Night, So Long (Vνdeo - MPG)
    http://www.4shared.com/file/18960057/e5e30902/Kings_of_Leon__Eddie_Vedder_-_Slow_Night_So_Long.html

Slow Night, So Long (Αudio - MP3)
    http://www.4shared.com/file/18960521/450af81b/Kings_of_Leon__Eddie_Vedder_-_Slow_Night_So_Long.html

yay! love them! off to see Kushi's videos now!
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    till then, u can hear the show here
    http://www.stubru.be/node/18344 :)

p.s. i wish i knew the nationalities ratio on that festival, but i couldn't understand a single thing, apart from the French, the rest for me it was just "ich, jjj, dong" etc :p
    I went to the hotdog counter to get a hotdog and said to the guy serving me "please put on some mustard", and the guy queuing beside me was so impressed : "mustarrrd! that's english, yesh ? "
    that cracked me up , lol

Same thing happened to me at Werchter! I think they were calling it Samorai sauce there...
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:
    Same thing happened to me at Werchter! I think they were calling it Samorai sauce there...
    that just sounds like another name for magic mushroom to me :p
  • Options
    justdimijustdimi Posts: 256
    Justdimi,

http://www.pinterest.com/justdimi/
    www.facebook.com/dimitri.sponselee
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/justdimi/
    ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
  • Options
    MirellaMirella Posts: 242
    PJPixie wrote:
    We stood at that fucking rail for 13 hours!!!

wow, respect! I barely survived the Arctic Monkeys up front :D. Before, I went to the toilets (nice people handing out paper, telling me they loved Pearl Jam even more than QotSA), drank, ate, was totally ready for it.... And then during God's Dice I had to be taken out because someone else's continuous farts brought me to the point I needed to vomit...
    Enjoyed the rest from further away, despite the lame crowd. Especially Smile and Baba!

groetjes,
    Mirella :)
    Bugs mailinglist site: http://www.igotbugs.net/wiki
  • Options
    redlady wrote:
    To be exact 50 different nationalities....so not that manny Belgians...:)

Forgot to mention PJ was on TMF last night they showed the five songs who also were broadcast on the radio and the live streaming....AND I MISSED IT FUCK....but they are going to show it again i think on sunday or monday not sure yet....he...he...

They only showed 3 songs on TMF: Corduroy, Given To Fly and Even Flow. Yes, I believe they are going to show it again on Saturday and Sunday.

As for the nationalities: we ran into Irish people and even a couple of Australians!!!
  • Options
    edwho wrote:
    oh man, those photos are fantastic! it's like being there again, u cracked me up , hahahaha! I have the exact same last photo, coming out of the venue, only blurry, too much pushing by the crowd. I hope ur shoes are ok now, haha