Options

*** Rock Werchter Festival Fanviews 29/6/07 ***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited July 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Set: Go, Animal, Brain Of J., World Wide Suicide, Once, Dissident, Do The Evolution, God’s Dice, Corduroy, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Why Go, Given To Fly, Even Flow, Life Wasted, Porch

1st Encore: No More, Smile, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Alive

2nd Encore: Baba O'Riley (with quest Josh Homme)

If you were at the show, please share your experience here.

Fanview threads will be preserved.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Since Werchter is a festival that ends on Sunday, chances are it'll take a while before this gets a lot of response. I only went this day, for PJ, cause my son is gonna enter the world any day now and I was/am on standby.

First off: there was no Save it fro later tag, or not really anyway: only a small 'don't runaway' bit. Oh well :)

Festivals are always different, but I actually had an amazing time and the setlist was great, though I could've done without Dissident and Why go, which they already had played in Antwerp in 2006 - but that's just whining.

Highlights for me were Brain of J, God's Dice, Porch, Smile (!) and a stunning No More War, were Ed stood alone in front of - what? - 80.0000 people and had them singing 'No more!', even though over 79.000 had never even heard of the song or it's context. Goosebumps.

Ed was in stellar shape, though at the end he said he was amazed about how we treated him, even though his voice was shit from talking to other bands backstage all day :) He also warned us never to accept a pill from Josh Homme - who joined in on Baba for a split second - or at least only take half. (QOTSA was tight by the way, stiff on coke, a newspaper said). I wouldn't be surprised if Ed actually did take half of what Josh was having - cause he kept telling us to make babies. I already took that advice. :)

conclusion: good times.
  • Options
    redladyredlady Posts: 602
    Well i'm back because i also only went for PJ on friday....great show for a festival gig but i must say you missed the intimite (sp?) things that you have on a PJ indoor concert....but i'm glad that they came and do there thing so i hope they will be back soon ( doubt that) but a girl can dream ..:)....saw alot of PJ shirts wondering around the festivalgrounds maybe you also saw me with my green ironfist shirt ??? i also wore a red hat with the word Belga writen all over it ...you won't see manny people with that hat because it's a verry old one from Rock Werchter from the late '80.....also had a grey sweatjacket on from Nike....Well Hope the guys will be visiting Belgium more often so for now KEEP ON ROCKING you guys...love ya so mutch see ya...:) :)
    Pukkelpop '95 Neil Young with Pearl Jam without EV
    Antwerp 30-08-2006
    Berlin 23-09-2006
    Rock Werchter 29-06-2007
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010
    Rock Werchter 04-07-2010
  • Options
    Great show, as expected an almost 'best off' one. Highlight for me was absolutely SMILE!!!!! I think it was a reaction on the balloon thing 'I miss you already' at Nijmegen. Thanks so much for that one!
    But also Brain Of J., Gods dice, the beautiful no more war, dissident, porch... .
    Where I was standing, pretty far in the back (for the first time this tour), the crowd dissapointed me a bit. They only knew 'Even flow' and 'Alive'. When Ed asked to help him with 'Better Man' I sang with whole my heart... but I was the only one... (where I stood anyway).
    Ed was in a speaking mood... he talked about the war and about going home to do some cleaning up (in the white house), about the other bands... and yes about love and make baby's.
    Now it's time for a big recovery and to wake up from a PJ experience that lasted for 2,5 weeks (5 concerts). Many thanks to the band and hope to see them again soon because... I miss them already... .
    (Pukkelpop 25-08-95 Neil Young + PJ without EV)
    2006: Arnh, Antw, Berl
    2007: Katow, Lond, Düsseld, Nijm, Werch
    2008: MSG1, MSG2
    2009: Rotterd, Berl, Lond
    2010: Dubl, Nijm, Werch, Arr, Berl
    2012: Manch, Amst 1+2, Werch, Berl 1+2, Copenh
    2013: Chicago
  • Options
    cyclopscyclops Posts: 70
    ..., the crowd dissapointed me a bit. They only knew 'Even flow' and 'Alive'. When Ed asked to help him with 'Better Man' I sang with whole my heart... but I was the only one... (where I stood anyway).
    ... .

The same goes for me: the setlist was what was to be expected, the crowd was ... well not what we're used to and during betterman ... I felt a bit embarassed because the 100 people around me could only hear me (and the fun Dutch girl with lip piercing behind me) shouting (well, she was singing, but that's a gift someone forgot to give me) ... one 18-year old give me this look "could you shut up?" ... of course I didn't ;-)

I was just 1m too far to catch mike pics, but after the gig this security guy comes to me and just gives me one ... must have seen me shouting all the time (and I also helped him quite a lot getting people out of the crowd during ... what's their name? these British lads with the catchy tunes?)

it feels a bit strange not knowing if and when we'll see them again ... but hey ... 18 months ago I had seen them only once and seeing them once more was my ultimate goal ... now I've seen them 8 times more :-)

THANKS to the guys and all the wonderful people I met during the shows this year and last year! I've had the time of my life!
    Paris 00

Antwerp (!) 06
    Paris 06
    Verona 06
    Prague 06

Wembley 07
    Duesseldorf 07
    Nijmegen 07
    Werchter (!) 07
  • Options
    JeronimoJeronimo Posts: 30
    There was only one reason why I went to Rock Werchter this year, and it was for Pearl Jam. I've seen them in their "own" gig, in Antwerp, and it was completely different from the festival-gig yesterday.
    Antwerp last year only allowed the capacity of +/- 20,000 people, so from the 80,000 present yesterday, quite a lot might have never seen PJ live before! The expectations were high!

And they nailed it :)
    The set list was a "best-of", but I didn't expect anything else for a festival. Songs as Brain of J, God's Dice and Smile were still some nice treats for the PJ addicts!

I was quite in front (30th row?), and around and with me, there were quite a lot of people (Dutchmen, Americans and some Belgians) singing a lot songs along, but only Alive could make the whole crowd go nuts.

Ed was quite talkative, especially about the White House, going back to the States "to clean up the mess, and get the trash out. For once we're not into recycling". He dedicated Elderly Woman "to the families of soldiers who went to Iraq, and didn't know what the fuck they're doing there. Often they're just poor families, living in small towns."

Right before "No More" (1st encore, Ed solo in front of a huge crowd: "I don't know how personal you can get with such a crowd, like one on one, but I want to give it a try"), saying he wrote this song for a guy he met, who's paralyzed from his chest down. He challenged the crowd to sing the words "no more", so they'll get it on tape and send it out to George W. to show them that we all want it to change, and that it's an issue on the international scene. Although hardly anyone ever heard the song before, we all gladly sang "no more war"!

In the end, Ed said he was having a great time today, watching great bands, talking in the backstage. That's why his voice "sounds like shit" (although when hearing him sing, "shit" must be a good thing!). From England, he liked the Arctic Monkeys and the Kaiser Chiefs, from the States "you had great bands, like the Kings (of Leon), the Queens (of the stone age) and... uhm... the Pearls!".

Now and then he was checking out the crowd in front if they were doing ok: "On the left, you're ok? (crowd: "yeah!"). On the right, you're ok? (corwd: "yeah"). Alright. Just checking." He often went from the left to the right stage, to dance in front of the crowd. When coming back during the solo of Porch, he jumped over the monitors, and fell. No bad, though. But he was into jumping :)

He also asked us to be kind of one and other during the show, "take care, watch over your neighbours, and be happy, or make babies!"
    In the end, he once more encouraged the last!

Right before the Baba (last encore), he gave us some advice: "You all know Josh Homme? Big tall blond guy, singing with QOTSA? Well, whenever Josh offers you a pill,... don't take it. (crowd laughs). Believe me. Or just take half of it."
    During Baba Josh came on stage to sing "don't cry, don't raise your eye, it's only teenage wasteland", before Ed taking over the mike again with a big scream. Josh just walked out, mister cool himself, throwing his cigarette (joint?) behind his back while heading for the backstage again.

Overall, I think the Antwerp gig was better, because it was more intense (maybe also because it was my very first PJ gig). And still nothing can do better than 20,000 people singing "tu-du-du-du-tu-du-du" during Black for 2 minutes. Not even a 80,000 people crowd singing Alive at their best.
    But it was a festival, and Pearl Jam just showed how much better they are than all the other bands. They got the place on fire, that's for sure!

Mike was the solo-ing himself again (Even flow on the back of his neck, those Arctic Monkey teenager fans were in awe! Now THAT's a band! :)). Matt was the engine of it all (great - by the crowd appreciated - solo during Even Flow). Jeff was jumping and singing along (and playing guitar during Smile). Stone was giving his best solo's he could (Porch, DTE) and having fun playing the bass during smile. And Ed was Ed: screaming, jumping, running, dancing, going crazy on his guitar during a hell good version of Corduroy, speaching, being appreciative towards the crowd, and showing he has the best voice ever. Pearl Jam like we know them :)
    Antwerp, Belgium 8/30/06
    Rock Werchter, Belgium 06/29/07

"Finally" (E.V., Antwerp 8/30/06)
    "See you next year" (E.V., Antwerp 8/30/06)
    => never thought he meant it!
  • Options
    taiztaiz Posts: 7
    just got back from Werchter....i totally agree with you guys about the crowd, before the show everybody was pushing like hell to get to the front, once the show startet they all just stood there....no emotion, no singing...thankfully i went to nijmegen as well :D

Smile just absolutly blew my mind, it totally made up for 3 times no black :)

well, i'm off to bed now after 24 hours driving, walking, rocking, driving, driving

cheers \m/
    ~Arnhem - 29/08/2006
    ~Nijmegen - 28/06/2007
    ~Werchter - 29/06/2007
    ~Rotterdam - 13/08/2009
    ~Nijmegen - 27/06/2010
  • Options
    oh, and Ed did the Pete Townshend arm-move on the guitar (does this move have a name?), but I forgot during what song.
    Antwerp, Belgium 8/30/06

• Options
    Here's a link to some pictures and a small review of one of the organizing sponsors of the festival:

http://blogs.humo.be/blogs/2007/06/pearl_jam_main_stage.asp#more

Here's the translation:

"Okay, we're somewhat prejudged, ('Ten' was our very first album), but Pearl Jam coming over was more than just some youth sentiment: a clean crushing concert of one of the World's Last Real Rockbands."

(the small machine - right before the setlist - indicates how good the concert was. Here are the options:

- dark blue: we should have stayed at the bar, ice cold
    - light blue: not realy solid
    - beige: was just good enough, but nothing more
    - red: quite fantastic
    - dark red: rock history

PJ was indicated as Red to Dark red :))

"The concert

Never meet your heroes, is what we thought when we saw our heroes-since-youth Mike McCready (exactly Mr. Garrison, the gay teacher with handdoll, from South Park), and Stone Gossard (Eric Clapton, in case he would work at a dusty village library, and just divorced from his wife) hitting the Main Stage. One and a half hour and 20 classics of songs later we're glad to be able to add:"... unless they play in Pearl Jam of course!".

From their - by now impressive - catalogue (8 albums and counting) the grunge legends knew how to make the almost perfect setlist: we heard some "Undefeatable Singalongs" (‘Even Flow’, ‘Alive’), an Unassuming Ballad or two (‘Elderly Woman…’, the to-us-unknown ‘No More’) and even an Unexpected (sic) Cover ('Teenage Wasteland' (sic) of the Who, with Josh Homme on backing (sic) vocals). (note: i think the journalist must have fallen asleep at that moment). Highlight of the day!"

"Highlight
    The - by thousands extatic festivalpeople sung allong - "Alive", that still sounds as fresh, intense and real as 16 years ago. "

"Quote
    ‘Whenever Josh Homme offers you a pill: don't take it. Or - trust me - just take half." Eddie Vedder
    Antwerp, Belgium 8/30/06

• Options
    Sorry, I don't want to be the only one talking here, but here's another review:

http://www.standaard.be/#

"First of all: Eddie Vedder has a great voice. Sometimes, this hasn't been the case in the last 10 years. Some moments the Grunge-icon only reached a small part of his once so mighty roar.

That roar came back from deep inside, in Werchter. Especially during the many songs from their debut album "Ten" gave us goosebumps on our arms: "Once", the - with a long, spectacular guitarsolo overwhelming "Even Flow", en the hotblooded "Porch" are fantastic nostalgy trips for everyone who reached the age of 30. The setlist was almost perfect: many crowd's favorites ('Animal', 'Corduroy', 'Why go', 'Betterman') which are - not coincidentally - the best songs of the band. The concert also had a political dimension. Vedder says the band goes back to the States to clean things up at the White House. 'Elderly woman' is being dedicated to the poor in America whose children are fighting in Iraq. The singer also talks about a good friend who came back from war, disabled. He asks the crowd to protest as one international voice against Bush's administration.

Far after midnight, the famous guitarintro of "Alive" enters the night. Werchter sings along, like one powerful voice.
    Antwerp, Belgium 8/30/06

• Options
    the show kicked ass... but the crowd was the lamest i've ever seen...
    lots of songs i heard live for the first time, so that was pretty cool... well i screamed my lungs out... highlights for me were porch, no more war, smile, Go as an opener...

thank you very much PJ
    see u next time round
    don't let the sun go down on your grievances...
  • Options
    Great show, as expected an almost 'best off' one. Highlight for me was absolutely SMILE!!!!! I think it was a reaction on the balloon thing 'I miss you already' at Nijmegen. Thanks so much for that one!
    But also Brain Of J., Gods dice, the beautiful no more war, dissident, porch... .
    Where I was standing, pretty far in the back (for the first time this tour), the crowd dissapointed me a bit. They only knew 'Even flow' and 'Alive'. When Ed asked to help him with 'Better Man' I sang with whole my heart... but I was the only one... (where I stood anyway).
    Ed was in a speaking mood... he talked about the war and about going home to do some cleaning up (in the white house), about the other bands... and yes about love and make baby's.
    Now it's time for a big recovery and to wake up from a PJ experience that lasted for 2,5 weeks (5 concerts). Many thanks to the band and hope to see them again soon because... I miss them already... .
    Ha..ha...me and hubby were also the two person who where singing along with betterman...i was sooo glad that i could sing it this time because in Antwerp i had Bronchitis so i could not sing along and then in Berlin they didin't play it...the last 3 songs we where in the back at the left side of the stage but the people around us also moved alot i filmed it when they played Alive...the rest of the show we where standing in front of the left side of the stage ...plenty of room to jump aswell...well alot of people come to Werchter just to get drunk and don't care about other bands or people like the group that stood next to us...assholes..so we moved a bit away from them...to people who just want to get drunk i would like to say STAY HOME next time....
    Antwerp 30-08-2006
    Berlin 23-09-2006
    Rock Werchter 29-06-2007
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010
    Rock Werchter 04-07-2010
  • Options
    the show kicked ass... but the crowd was the lamest i've ever seen...
    lots of songs i heard live for the first time, so that was pretty cool... well i screamed my lungs out... highlights for me were porch, no more war, smile, Go as an opener...

thank you very much PJ
    see u next time round
    Well thats the crowd of Werchter sadly enough...:o
    Antwerp 30-08-2006
    Berlin 23-09-2006
    Rock Werchter 29-06-2007
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010
    Rock Werchter 04-07-2010
  • Options
    yielderyielder Posts: 160
    was amazing!!!!!!!!
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • Options
    myth4343myth4343 Posts: 89
    Hi everyone.

Mixed feelings out there. Onone side, really happy to have to magaged to see them in London Nijmegen and Wercher. Amzing shows; amzing crowd, great mixture of setlists...

On the other side, sad to see them leave Europe, knowing we won't see them in the next couple of years...

Yesterday, Porch was just ou t of this word
  • Options
    b-boyb-boy Posts: 6
    My first PJ concert ever... and this for a longtime and huge PJ fan since the beginning! I have many live cd's and dvd's from their concerts and compared to those I was very pleased with the performance yesterday. It's like Ben Harper said the best band in the world (though I already knew that like 15 years ago). :)

There was only 1 negative thing to the show: the crowd. I was about 50 meters from the stage. I really really wanted to get closer in the beginnig but it was almost impossible since everybody was pushing to get close. (I could not get there any earlier because I had to drive a long way from the Netherlands... and I did not have any interest in the other bands at Werchter, just PJ) But once the show started people were just standing there like they were watching a classical concert. I was jumping and dancing and singing like crazy.
    Same thing... I was also singing my lungs out on Betterman... me and my friend were the only ones in our area.
    People just expect an encore. So they just stand there and wait. I was screaming and clapping to get them back on stage. Then I kept on clapping and finally the crowd joined in on that.

Conclusion:
    Great experience, great band, great show!!!!!
    Sucky crowd (most of them, not the real PJ fans that I met)
  • Options
    b-boy wrote:
    There was only 1 negative thing to the show: the crowd. I was about 50 meters from the stage. I really really wanted to get closer in the beginnig but it was almost impossible since everybody was pushing to get close. (I could not get there any earlier because I had to drive a long way from the Netherlands... and I did not have any interest in the other bands at Werchter, just PJ) But once the show started people were just standing there like they were watching a classical concert. I was jumping and dancing and singing like crazy.
    Same thing... I was also singing my lungs out on Betterman... me and my friend were the only ones in our area.
    People just expect an encore. So they just stand there and wait. I was screaming and clapping to get them back on stage. Then I kept on clapping and finally the crowd joined in on that.

Conclusion:
    Great experience, great band, great show!!!!!
    Sucky crowd (most of them, not the real PJ fans that I met)
    Yes... my husband went to the front while I was pretty far in the back and he said just the same thing... everybody wanted to be in the front ... and then they just stood there... some even went off after a few songs. But I guess that's a festival crowd. Anyway I sang almost every song and probably false to but... who cares... I had the time of my life.
    (Pukkelpop 25-08-95 Neil Young + PJ without EV)
    2006: Arnh, Antw, Berl
    2007: Katow, Lond, Düsseld, Nijm, Werch
    2008: MSG1, MSG2
    2009: Rotterd, Berl, Lond
    2010: Dubl, Nijm, Werch, Arr, Berl
    2012: Manch, Amst 1+2, Werch, Berl 1+2, Copenh
    2013: Chicago
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Just came back from Belgium (after 6 trains and 10 hours later).

1. The show was good imo. In comparison with Nijmegen, the Werchter show was a bit behind. It was not the best PJ show I've seen.

2. What a lame crowd!! I've had this experience also last year in Antwerp, but is it that Belgians are not that cheery?? Even with NO MORE everyone beside did not join...

3. From where I was standing (just behind the 2nd fence) I couldn't hear anything what Mike was playing. This really frustrated me. What a bull**** PA system Werchter had.

4. Fuck that English kid who wanted to fight with me! Bastard!

5. Highlights: SMILE!!, Brain of J, Ed's speech of pills from Josh Homme :), and I really liked the energy of PJ. Jumping and jumping on the stage.

THANK YOU PEARL JAM FOR GETTING BACK TO EUROPE!! I HAD A REAL GREAT TIME THIS WEEK!! YOU'RE WELCOME IN THE NEXT YEARS!!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    mramonemramone Posts: 168
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    Note: this was written under the influence of tiredness, so the story is a bit going everywhere... ;)

Went to Dusseldorf, Nijmegen and Werchter. For me Dusseldorf was the highlight music and atmosphere wise...it felt like a group of friends and family coming together for a fantastic party. But Nijmegen AND Werchter were the highlights when it came to connecting with the band.

We worked out way to the front row from Bloc Party onwards in a crowd that was pretty rough. Stood at Mikes side at the barrier when PJ began to play and met some of the 10C members I saw at Nijmegen again. That was pretty cool, considering there were 80.000 people there.

PJ was very energetic again, playing their asses off. My spoiled butt was a bit dissapointed that the show was a lot like Nijmegen...but hee, cant complain actually! I was standing is a very tide spot so I could only move my arms to show appreciation. The crowd on Mikes side was pushing a lot but were alright. Most behind me did not know PJ songs too well, but seemed to enjoy themsleves. They were singing "Black" tunes during the breaks all the time. Was a bit disturbing to see how many people were taken out of the crowd and put on strechers.

Highlights were when Mike saw my bf's new t-shirt on which he had printed an image of Mike's new pic. Mike gave a big smile and was really surprised. He returned to us different times smiling, pointing and threw many many many pics to our side. Made a great picture of Mike while he was standing in front of us. Will upload later!
    I made a poster telling the guys to "come back soon" and "Take care" and Mike and Ed both saw that and gave a little wave/nod. That was pretty awesome.

The whole show was over before I knew it. Baba was fantastic, but it made me kind of confused as I did not realize that was their last song. I was waiting for the second encore after they left...hahaha. So, that left me with a stone in my stomach and felt like a bummer...all my own fault.

Next time ending the tour with a non-festival gig would be more fun in my opinion. But hee, I had a blast anyway.

So guys, do take care of yourselves and come back whenever you can!!
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    Note: this was written under the influence of tiredness, so the story is a bit going everywhere... ;)

Went to Dusseldorf, Nijmegen and Werchter. For me Dusseldorf was the highlight music and atmosphere wise...it felt like a group of friends and family coming together for a fantastic party.
    But Nijmegen AND Werchter were the highlights when it came to connecting with the band.
    We worked out way to the front row from "Bloc Party" onwards in a crowd that was pretty rough. Stood at Mikes side at the barrier when PJ began to play and met some of the 10C members I saw at Nijmegen again. That was pretty cool, considering there were 80.000 people there :D
    PJ was very energetic again, playing their asses off. My spoiled butt was a bit dissapointed that the show was a lot like Nijmegen...but hee, cant complain actually!
    I was standing is a very tide spot so I could only move my arms to show appreciation. The crowd on Mikes side was alrighht. Most behind me did not know PJ songs too well, but seemed to enjoy themsleves. They were singing "Black" tunes during the breaks all the time.

Highlights were when Mike saw my bf's new t-shirt on which he had printed an image of Mike's new pic. Mike smiled and was really surprised. He returned to us different times smiling, pointing and threw many many many pics to our side. Made a great picture of Mike while he was standing in front of us.
    Will upload later!
    I made a poster telling the guys to "come back soon" and "Take care" and Mike and Ed both saw that and gave a little wave/nod. That was pretty awesome.

The whole show was over before I knew it. Baba was fantastic, but it made me kind of confused as I did not realize that was there last song. I was waiting for the second encore after they left...hahaha. So, that left me with a stone in my stomach.

Next time ending the tour with a non-festival gig would be more fun in my opinion. But hee, I had a blast anyway.

So guys, do [strong]take care of yourselves and come back whenever you can!![/strong]

Nice signature :) You did well on the translation :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    parel jam wrote:
    Nice signature :) You did well on the translation :)

LOL, unfortunately Ed didnt do his homework before coming to Nijmegen :D

Were you at Nijmegen or Werchter...and why did we not meet?!
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    LOL, unfortunately Ed didnt do his homework before coming to Nijmegen :D

Were you at Nijmegen or Werchter...and why did we not meet?!
    Yup. I was standing in the 10club line in Nijmegen. Pretty much up front. Maybe we've met :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options

[

I saw your sign on the big screen! :)
    Antwerp, Belgium 8/30/06

• Options
    Jeronimo wrote:
    I saw your sign on the big screen! :)
    Yes i saw that too...:) you coulden't miss it
    Antwerp 30-08-2006
    Berlin 23-09-2006
    Rock Werchter 29-06-2007
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010
    Rock Werchter 04-07-2010
  • Options
    redlady wrote:
    Yes i saw that too...:) you coulden't miss it
    I saw it too :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    MirellaMirella Posts: 242
    Thanks everybody for the detailed reviews! I just can't stop reading as much as possible since the tour ended now, just to suck it all in and relive it :). And I'd already read everything on Dutch Ramblings so I was happy to find loads more here.
    That guitar move is known as 'windmill'.
    And I agree about the crowd. We survived The Arctic Monkeys in front surrounded by screaming and pushing British teenagers with 'we love you Arctics, we do' and when that was finally over I'd already lost at least a liter of sweat. They were replaced by bigger people right before Pearl Jam and some were *very* eager to get to the front rail, at all costs. My boyfriend got too much aggression from it so he decided to step back before he got too angry and he did not feel like fighting. I held on to other friends and enjoyed the first few songs, even though there was no space to really breathe or move your arms to clap. I was (relatively) fit, I was fed (thanks, you know who you are), we all got water to drink from the security people (good!) and totally ready to keep the good spot until the end. But it was no real pleasure with the constant pressure and fighting for a spot for your feet time and again. So, still in doubt if I should (could) leave or not, someone else made the decision for me by a constant flow of disgusting farts and there was no escape. I tried to ignore it but at one point I had to vomit, so I panicked because there was no room for that, and had to be taken out. It took them a long time to help me out so I'm glad there was nothing serious going on in the front because they would not have managed to get more people out at the same time.
    Anyway, enough about me. The crowd further to the side was boring! No singing, no dancing, not even smiles. Maybe one out of every 20 people seemed to be into it. What the ^#(!) were those other people doing there? Stand still sleeping? Filling? I really can't understand it. I've never been to Werchter and always heard good things about the festival, and how relaxed it is. Well, if this is that 'relaxed', it's not for me. Maybe next time all fans should stand together so we're not all alone in different places surrounded by zombies.
    The camera people zoomed in on the enthusiastic people in the crowd, and that was perfect! I found my friends back through them :):). Right in time for SMILE! And BABA :) Josh Homme, yeah!

off to bed again,

groetjes,
    Mirella :)

p.s.: did anyone see Elmo (the puppet) in the screen? That one has seen more Pearl Jam concerts than most of us so it was a pleasure to see him appear there while I was still in the middle of the lame part of the crowd.
    Bugs mailinglist site: http://www.igotbugs.net/wiki
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Mirella wrote:

p.s.: did anyone see Elmo (the puppet) in the screen? That one has seen more Pearl Jam concerts than most of us so it was a pleasure to see him appear there while I was still in the middle of the lame part of the crowd.
    Whats with the Elmo? whos toy is that? Ive seen them on some pics from last year, but I dont know the story behind it. thanks. :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    MirellaMirella Posts: 242
    About Elmo:
    He's from my friend Evelien (you've met). He went to the first concert of the tour in 1996, Cork, Ireland, and on tour with her until he almost fell apart. He's been through a lot ;). Went to festivals, many many concerts, and there are pictures of him (not online) with several bands, off stage and on stage. But especially Pearl Jam and I'm sure the band members recognize Elmo as one of the 'front row people' by now ;). Last year he was taken to the Berlin concert and they put him on stage to pose for some pictures, that was hilarious (I missed it but heard it later). This tour he stayed at home but for Werchter he joined us one more time. Like old times :).

groetjes,
    Mirella :) (proud godmother of Elmo ;))
    Bugs mailinglist site: http://www.igotbugs.net/wiki
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Mirella wrote:
    About Elmo:
    He's from my friend Evelien (you've met). He went to the first concert of the tour in 1996, Cork, Ireland, and on tour with her until he almost fell apart. He's been through a lot ;). Went to festivals, many many concerts, and there are pictures of him (not online) with several bands, off stage and on stage. But especially Pearl Jam and I'm sure the band members recognize Elmo as one of the 'front row people' by now ;). Last year he was taken to the Berlin concert and they put him on stage to pose for some pictures, that was hilarious (I missed it but heard it later). This tour he stayed at home but for Werchter he joined us one more time. Like old times :).

groetjes,
    Mirella :) (proud godmother of Elmo ;))
    Oh, Ok. Ive seen those pics from Berlin on Sandras photobucket, i think.
    Thanks for telling me the story behind it, thats awesome. so cool.
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Had a great time.

Smile!!!! :D, Porch was awesome too, Josh Homme :D

Met some very nice people but I don't know whether they post here or not, we lost them after the show, a very friendly couple, the guy was from California and the girl was from Brazil. Anyone?

A lot of pushing and shoving but that didn't ruin my show, but there was this one guy who fainted, that scared me a little... after a while the pushing and shoving wasn't so bad anymore, though... I hope no one got seriously hurt.

Found one of Mike's picks, which is cool.

No More was so beautiful, everyone in the front was singing along.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední