Options

***Official Led Zeppelin Thread***

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Cropsmoker wrote:
    I fell in love with them when i was about 8 and they are still my #1 to this day!!

NO OTHER BAND COMES CLOSE TO THEIR GREATNESS!! NOT EVEN PJ

I was 15, but the rest is truth.

PJ isn't even in the conversation of bands that can compete with Zeppelin and they've been my #2 for about as long as Zeppelin has reigned.
  • Options
    Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    There really needs to be a DVD and CD release of that O2 show--especially since it seems like there won't ever be a reunion tour unless Plant has a change of heart.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    There really needs to be a DVD and CD release of that O2 show--especially since it seems like there won't ever be a reunion tour unless Plant has a change of heart.
    I really hope they decide to release that O2 show.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Had to bump this. Hadn't listened to "Physical Graffiti" in a while and it's still a fantastic album.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    And might I add, next to "Voodoo Chile", the sickest riff in rock history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XikK2RJdZ18
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Newch91 wrote:
    And might I add, next to "Voodoo Chile", the sickest riff in rock history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XikK2RJdZ18

That's cool... As a rhythm player I've always loved the riff in "Immigrant Song".
  • Options
    Ten Years Gone for me when it comes to riffs, but there are so many.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Ten Years Gone for me when it comes to riffs, but there are so many.
    That song is perfection. One of my all-time favorite songs by any band. Jimmy evokes pain in the solo, which is amazing.
  • Options
    Would you consider Led Zeppelin indie for their time? I'm only 26 so I don't know how they were presented/respected/followed in their prime.
    I feel like My Morning Jacket could have a similar effect on today's music and I feel they will still be relevent 20 years from now.
    Pittsburgh 2003/Pittsburgh 2006/Outside Lands 2009/Bridge School 2010/Pittsburgh 2013
  • Options
    Would you consider Led Zeppelin indie for their time? I'm only 26 so I don't know how they were presented/respected/followed in their prime.

Definitely not, they were signed by a major label and given one of the biggest advances 200k (1.3mm today's dollars) at the time.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,733

Definitely not, they were signed by a major label and given one of the biggest advances 200k (1.3mm today's dollars) at the time.

Agree. The very definition of a "not-indie" band. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    If you look at it from a musical perspective, I can see the comparison. The indie sound to me, is sort of the same anything goes attitude that Zep had.
  • Options

Agree. The very definition of a "not-indie" band. :lol:

Yea, with this info, definitely not indie :nono:

It's hard to put into perspective a band of their caliber. So good, Houses of the Holy, so good.
    Pittsburgh 2003/Pittsburgh 2006/Outside Lands 2009/Bridge School 2010/Pittsburgh 2013
  • Options
    It's hard to put into perspective a band of their caliber. So good, Houses of the Holy, so good.

It's ridiculous to think but you could make a pretty good argument it's one of the 2 "worst". Few bands have as many albums so great, no band was as consistently great album wise. And song for song, fuhgeddabaddit!!!
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

It's ridiculous to think but you could make a pretty good argument it's one of the 2 "worst". Few bands have as many albums so great, no band was as consistently great album wise. And song for song, fuhgeddabaddit!!!

I think they have 81 studio songs. And, maybe a half dozen of them are so so. I mean, it's ridiculous. No band ever had a batting average anywhere near that.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    It's time to ramble on
  • Options
    44 years ago today the new yardbirds took the stage for the first time

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zepp ... er-7-1968/
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

your wish...
    LED ZEPPELIN's 2007 Reunion Concert Rumored For DVD Release - Sep. 6, 2012
    According to a posting (since removed) on the web site of Belgian classic rock radio station RTBF, LED ZEPPELIN's reunion for the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert at London's O2 Arena in December 2007 will finally be released on DVD and CD in November. Citing sources at Warner Music, the site reported that the set will consist of a double DVD accompanied by two CDs.

An estimated nine million people applied for the 18,000 tickets to the O2 Arena show, which featured Jason Bonham taking his late father's place behind the drum kit.

In its review of the concert, NME.com wrote that LED ZEPPELIN singer Robert Plant spoke little during the show, but when he did, it was mostly to pay tribute to Ertegun, who he said after first encore "Whole Lotta Love", "ran the best label in the world" in Atlantic Records.

Speaking to the Los Angeles radio station KLOS in December 2010, Jason stated about the prospect of the concert being released on DVD, "Nothing is official, as yet. I only know that because Robert had said that he'd watched it. I really do hope that it eventually will see the light of day. It's just nice to know that Robert had seen it, so I knew something, but it was nice that he rang up and said, 'Wow, it sounded great.' Fingers crossed, everybody… fingers crossed."

In an interview with U.K.'s Telegraph.co.uk, Plant was asked about ZEPPELIN's 2007 reunion concert. "I really had a wonderful time," said Plant. "It was the best LED ZEPPELIN gig since 1975."

When asked if he would do it again, Plant replied, "I don't think so. You've got to have a lot in common with the people you're working with at this time in your life. Everything has to move on and forward, in all relationships.

"I know that bands that haven't put out a record for 10 years are playing to 20,000 people a night. But that's not the achievement. The achievement is to knock yourself out. It's a very selfish thing. The tail must never wag the dog."

A few months back, radio personality and "That Metal Show" co-host Eddie Trunk tweeted, "Heard from a very reliable source backstage at AEROSMITH show that there will be some sort of LED ZEPPELIN activity around Christmas."
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=179098
  • Options
    We can always, I repeat, ALWAYS rely on norm for news. :clap::clap:
  • Options
    The funny thing is, right before I came on here, I was on Facebook and noticed Zeppelin's official page had a post that said, "Hello." I commented that something big might be announced soon. And sure enough, it seems like it.
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    Something is definitely going to happen in the next few days.
  • Options
    My Gawd. This has me excited.

Easily my most influential band during my 'formative years'.

Never listen to them any more... but out of respect I always call them my number one all-time favourite band.

A few songs off Presence and Coda used to get fast-forwarded in the tape player or skipped on the turntable... but this band- using the baseball batting average analogy posted earlier- is the Babe Ruth of rock bands.

Over the Hills and Far Away.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Something is seriously happening in 4 days. Could be the announcement of the reunion show on Thursday, I believe.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    everyone relax it's only a DVD release :) Never ever want a reunion tour especially if plant isn't involved.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    everyone relax it's only a DVD release :) Never ever want a reunion tour especially if plant isn't involved.

Billy Buzzkill. Sheesh... let us get excited at least for 4 more days!

Plant can still sing- I saw him in Vancouver last year (?) and he could still hit the notes! The Band of Joy doesn't cut it though.

You're probably right about some sort of cash grab like a DVD or box set... but a tour wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibilities! In my world, if a Zeppelin tour was announced... this would be massive- bigger than anything!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:

Plant can still sing- I saw him in Vancouver last year (?) and he could still hit the notes! The Band of Joy doesn't cut it though.

You're probably right about some sort of cash grab like a DVD or box set... but a tour wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibilities! In my world, if a Zeppelin tour was announced... this would be massive- bigger than anything!
    It would and it would also be an incredibly tough ticket to get.
  • Options
    A few songs off Presence and Coda used to get fast-forwarded in the tape player or skipped on the turntable... but this band- using the baseball batting average analogy posted earlier- is the Babe Ruth of rock bands.

Or maybe the Ty Cobb... ;)

What songs on Presence would you want to skip? :?

• Options
    I'm kind of confused why they would make such a big deal out of this count down if it was just a DVD release, but I won't get my hopes up. Too much. 8-)

• Options
    Zoso wrote:

All recent rumors are pointing to a release of the O2 show. Also, the countdown started at 5 and this year is the 5th anniversary of show. There are a few people in the know over at the Zeppelin board and they've been talking for years that's what Page is working on, neglecting a long rumored solo album. Plant just finished recording another album with whoever he's involved with these days.

I'm excited for the release. It's one of the most monumental shows of their career and imo a nice bookend to what they accomplished as a group.

I'd love a reunion tour as much as anybody but I do think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Plant may still have his voice but I don't think it would cut it for something as massive at what a Zep reunion tour would need and he's not exactly singing over anything that indicative of his ability to sing over their material.

Page didn't get too deep into the last major tour he was a part of over 10 years ago and his back has probably only gotten worse. It's in horrible shape from years of lookin so badass with his low slung Les Paul.

I thought they should've played one show in the US around the time of the O2 show. I don't think you could get all 4 of them interested enough for even a one off with the preparation that would be involved.

I'm kind of confused why they would make such a big deal out of this count down if it was just a DVD release, but I won't get my hopes up. Too much. 8-)

I think fans are making it a much bigger deal than what it really is, and there's not much else for them as a group to make a big deal out of anymore.

I hope I eat all of these words