Options

Why doesnt pearl jam do a Gospel Album

Comments

• Options
    abhijeet wrote:
    Because you are refusing to accept the notion that there might be something of merit in something you don't believe in. And I'll say again, that is the epitome of closed mindedness.

DO you accept that fact that many people believe that religious ideas are mass delusion? If not, you're close minded by your own definition.

For goodness sake. This is not an argument over whether religion is legitimate, despite so many people wanting to turn it into one. I am not religious. I am happy for people to believe whatever they want to believe. I understand that for some religion is simply mass delusion yes. But I also understand for many others, it's everything they have faith in. There is no right or wrong view. I am not closed minded by my own definition. I happily accept others faith and beliefs even when they differ from mine. Each to his own. It is closed minded to not accept that other's beliefs can be as valid as your own.

And again, this is not an argument about religion. I am not religious, and I am happy for others to have whatever belief they want. I am simply saying in this context, in this thread, it is very closed minded for people to not be willing to accept the idea that a band could make an album in a particular musical genre, simply because they themselves don't like the idea. It's fine to have an opinion. But be prepared for people to say it's closed minded when you are not willing to admit that any other view, other than your own, could possibly be acceptable.
  • Options
    abhijeetabhijeet Posts: 303
    But be prepared for people to say it's closed minded when you are not willing to admit that any other view, other than your own, could possibly be acceptable.

Precisely the attitude I get from most extreme religious types ...

Sure, if the band wants to go do something, they should go ahead and do it. There's a strong possibility that I will hate whatever they produce, simply because in my mind, gospel music is too reflective of the people with the attitude you mention above.

U2 is another interesting example. They pretty much wear their religion on their sleeve in their early work. I still love the music, because their attitude and actions reflect respect and tolerance, above all else. If they were preachy and pushed their religion into the music and the songs at every opportunity, then I might not be into their music as much as I am.
    Seattle 2009-09-21
    Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
  • Options
    Yeah, and saying it's never gonna happen isn't being closed minded. It's being realistic. Pearl Jam is not a religious band and never has been.

And just for the record, because people seem to have a hard time understanding things on here. The reason I said you were closed minded for saying it's ridiculous is because you don't know the band personally. I assume you've never met them, and if you have, you certainly haven't sat down and had an indepth conversation with them about their personal religious beliefs. You are basing your OPINION that it's a ridiculous idea on the information you have read and learned about this band through their music. Fair enough. But you cannot be so presumptuous as to think that you know what they believe about God and religion to such a point that you can state categorically that it's a ridiculous idea. A silly idea in your opinion? Fine, but you cannot know that it's ridiculous to them, which is what you were presuming. That's why I said it's narrow and closed minded. Because you are refusing to accept the notion that there might be something of merit in something you don't believe in. And I'll say again, that is the epitome of closed mindedness.
    Wow you'll really do anything to prove a point, huh? Two of my favorite artists were devoutly religious and known for their take on gospel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2hStRPSVQ&feature=fvst
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUP8oc9Bgs
    So let me reiterate to YOU. There's a difference between not believing in gospel, and not believing that Pearl Jam will ever do gospel. Eddie once said religion "is like a movie that was way too popular" -- but they're going to promote it by doing a religious album? So no, frankly, it doesn't make sense to me as to why they'd do one. Please stop trying to make me look like a fool for using my brain.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Whether or not you are religious: PJ doing a gospel album is the worst idea I have ever heard of. It's also the least likely thing to ever happen. If it does, the Mayans were right and the world will end next year.

You'd be more likely to see them put out a fusion jazz hardcore hip-hop indie sludge core trip hop psychadelic transgender epic rock opera. (and it would sound better to my ears)

In all seriousness: this is just silly. This thread shouldn't have turned into a battle about why or why not they should, and why or why not you may be close minded if you feel strongly either way. It's just silly to think this is even a worthwhile topic (yet I can't help but read the posts). PJ - gospel? Stop. You'll be lucky to get an intro snippet like in the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want"...and even that's a stretch.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Whether or not you are religious: PJ doing a gospel album is the worst idea I have ever heard of. It's also the least likely thing to ever happen. If it does, the Mayans were right and the world will end next year.

You'd be more likely to see them put out a fusion jazz hardcore hip-hop indie sludge core trip hop psychadelic transgender epic rock opera. (and it would sound better to my ears)

In all seriousness: this is just silly. This thread shouldn't have turned into a battle about why or why not they should, and why or why not you may be close minded if you feel strongly either way. It's just silly to think this is even a worthwhile topic (yet I can't help but read the posts). PJ - gospel? Stop. You'll be lucky to get an intro snippet like in the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want"...and even that's a stretch.
    :thumbup:
  • Options
    Is it a far fetched Idea? Sure...will they do one..Probably not.

BUT....And I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of 10c LOL

I bet all the "hardcore" Jewish fans of Barbra Streisand NEVER thought she would do a Christian Christmas Album either.

NOW don't get all stupid and idiotic and say I am comparing Pearl Jam to Barbra Streisand, I'm not

I'm just saying I am sure her fans would have though it was equally as a far fetched idea.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    Bob Dylan played electric guitar and then became a born-again. Go figure.
  • Options
    nutbarznutbarz Posts: 227
    Fine... No Gospel.. I would rather have a Christmas Album anyway. With Traditional Non Religious Songs. (Yes, I know there is another thread for this... lol)
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Bob Dylan played electric guitar and then became a born-again. Go figure.
    How can you be a born again, if he was born jewish?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    nutbarz wrote:
    Fine... No Gospel.. I would rather have a Christmas Album anyway. With Traditional Non Religious Songs. (Yes, I know there is another thread for this... lol)

How about no gospel or holiday albums? Works for me.
  • Options
    Please stop trying to make me look like a fool for using my brain.

How about you do the same and we'll call it even?
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    If you can show me where I said that I was religious and this was about wanting to hear Pearl Jam sing about God, then show me.

never once referred to you. if you can show me where i wrote "stardust" then show me.

Thorns2010 wrote:
    Ummm.... can you please tell me where I said I was religious? Or that I believed in Christ?

never referred to you, either.

but okay, you two win. i'm closed minded to the asinine idea of pearl jam doing a gospel album. so be it.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    sea bass to the rescue
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    81 wrote:
    sea bass to the rescue

I'm wondering how this thread made it to 9 pages!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    october22 wrote:
    I would blow my fucking brains out.

This is the only appropriate response and should have ended this ridiculous discussion.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sea bass to the rescue

devine intervention
  • Options
    BantBant Millinowhere, ME Posts: 506
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sea bass to the rescue

Are you kidding, this is the best thread I have ever seen on this forum.
    9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,415
    Fuck outta here... :roll:
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Because that would be absolutely horrendous.

Christianity+rock music= NEVER good. NEVER... its horrible
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Holy crap, WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME IT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION?????

Didn't U2 record I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for with a gospel chorus?

It's just a style of music, typically used for religious purposes, but still a style.

I'd be interested to hear a Pearl Jam song with an African American gospel back-up. Not necessarily a whole album, but I would be open to the idea.

I'm Agnostic by the way, but Pearl Jam is one of my many religions. It would only make sense they do gospel. 8-)
  • Options
    Gob wrote:
    Holy crap, WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME IT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION?????

Didn't U2 record I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for with a gospel chorus?

It's just a style of music, typically used for religious purposes, but still a style.

I'd be interested to hear a Pearl Jam song with an African American gospel back-up. Not necessarily a whole album, but I would be open to the idea.

I'm Agnostic by the way, but Pearl Jam is one of my many religions. It would only make sense they do gospel. 8-)

This.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    Gob wrote:

Thank you. Of course, your common sense will just be ignored in this thread. Springsteen has no issue working with gospel choirs. Neither does Townshend. Or Neil Young. Anything Springsteen or Townshend or Young have done can't be ruled out in the Pearl Jam word.

And once again (to keep beating a dead horse), Ed's performance at the Kennedy Center Honors backed with a gospel choir is easily his most engaging, powerful, and interesting public solo performance ever. I would take an album of him playing beautiful ballads like that backed with a gospel choir over a ukulele album any day of the week.
  • Options
    Please stop trying to make me look like a fool for using my brain.

How about you do the same and we'll call it even?
    OW GOT ME THERE! I'm not using my brain because I don't think they should do a Gospel album? How about you stop singling me out of the majority that agree with me in this thread and I'll give it a thought.
  • Options

OW GOT ME THERE! I'm not using my brain because I don't think they should do a Gospel album? How about you stop singling me out of the majority that agree with me in this thread and I'll give it a thought.

Honestly, I have no idea what you are saying here. I was merely saying I'll stop trying to make you look like a fool, if you stop trying to make me look like an ignoramus for daring to be open minded to something that is out of the ordinary. But whatever. Life is way too short and people are way too stupid.
  • Options
    Honestly, I have no idea what you are saying here. I was merely saying I'll stop trying to make you look like a fool, if you stop trying to make me look like an ignoramus for daring to be open minded to something that is out of the ordinary. But whatever. Life is way too short and people are way too stupid.

Well at least we know you've perfected the art of under-the-table insults.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam would never ever ever do a gospel album. It doesnt seem like anyone in this band is a devote christian. Which would be the warrant for a gospel album. Also, the music is way different. This honestly isnt a good idea for them to think about doing this or even attempt it. I understand some of you maybe devotely religious. But I doubt the band memebers are. And even if they were, it would not fit into the scheme of pearl jam. They would probably turn a lot of fans off and possibly even loose a chunk of thier following.
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Woo...
    I'm ahead, I'm a man
    I'm the first mammal to wear pants, yeah
    I'm at peace with my lust
    I can kill 'cause in God I trust, yeah
    It's evolution, baby

I'm at peace, I'm the man
    Buying stocks on the day of the crash
    On the loose, I'm a truck
    All the rolling hills, I'll flatten 'em out, yeah
    It's herd behavior, uh huh
    It's evolution, baby

Admire me, admire my home
    Admire my son, he's my clone
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
    This land is mine, this land is free
    I'll do what I want but irresponsibly
    It's evolution, baby

I'm a thief, I'm a liar
    There's my church, I sing in the choir:
    (hallelujah, hallelujah)

Admire me, admire my home
    Admire my son, admire my clones
    'Cause we know, appetite for a nightly feast
    Those ignorant Indians got nothin' on me
    Nothin', why?
    Because... it's evolution, baby!

I am ahead, I am advanced
    I am the first mammal to make plans, yeah
    I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
    2010, watch it go to fire
    It's evolution, baby
    Do the evolution
    Come on, come on, come on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    rna2525 wrote:
    I think it would be killer!!!

They have the ability and it seems like eddie really can get it done!!

I truly hope some day they do one.

Why? Because they dont suck.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    what many of the religious don't, and never will, understand is that not everyone cares to share their beliefs. for them, what they believe is right and if you don't believe they become offended. look at how uptight certain individuals on here became when people call the idea bad..."WELL YOU'RE CLOSED MINDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". maybe pearl jam, being logical, understands that there are countless religions in the world and making one "christian" album might alienate, for example, their muslim fan base. the same thing goes for the people who are non religious. if they made a pearl jam album i wouldn't support it or the bands tour. "WELL PRAISE JESUS THERE WILL BE MORE SEATS FOR US!!!!!!!!!!". if you want to listen to songs about god, attend church or buy a gospel album. please leave my favourite band out of it.
    Yeah, and saying it's never gonna happen isn't being closed minded. It's being realistic. Pearl Jam is not a religious band and never has been.
    couldnt have said it better
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    what many of the religious don't, and never will, understand is that not everyone cares to share their beliefs. for them, what they believe is right and if you don't believe they become offended. look at how uptight certain individuals on here became when people call the idea bad..."WELL YOU'RE CLOSED MINDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". maybe pearl jam, being logical, understands that there are countless religions in the world and making one "christian" album might alienate, for example, their muslim fan base. the same thing goes for the people who are non religious. if they made a pearl jam album i wouldn't support it or the bands tour. "WELL PRAISE JESUS THERE WILL BE MORE SEATS FOR US!!!!!!!!!!". if you want to listen to songs about god, attend church or buy a gospel album. please leave my favourite band out of it.
    couldnt have said it better
    Thank you! Good lord.