Options

Why doesnt pearl jam do a Gospel Album

Comments

• Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    So my point is made again. That's what makes this board closed minded. Are you the be all and end all of music? Just because you don't think it would sound good, and just because you would laugh, and just because you don't think they can pull off gospel doesn't make it fact. That is opinion. And the definition of closed mindedness is not being open to the idea of something that you might not agree with, or think would work. You say you are open to them experimenting, but you aren't open to them experimenting with gospel? That's a bit of a double standard don't you think? Just because YOU don't think it would sound good, does not make it fact. Stating your opinion as fact is very closed minded.

you're right, they could write a gospel album... it would probably be the best album since abby road. man, being open minded is so much better than those foolish closed minded realistic people.
  • Options
    So my point is made again. That's what makes this board closed minded. Are you the be all and end all of music? Just because you don't think it would sound good, and just because you would laugh, and just because you don't think they can pull off gospel doesn't make it fact. That is opinion. And the definition of closed mindedness is not being open to the idea of something that you might not agree with, or think would work. You say you are open to them experimenting, but you aren't open to them experimenting with gospel? That's a bit of a double standard don't you think? Just because YOU don't think it would sound good, does not make it fact. Stating your opinion as fact is very closed minded.

you're right, they could write a gospel album... it would probably be the best album since abby road. man, being open minded is so much better than those foolish closed minded realistic people.

Uh huh. Sarcasm helps to make your point a lot.
  • Options
    WOW - the self-righteous religious right just seem to pop up everywhere whenever the faith is criticised, this time through the music. The OP sure created a storm with this topic, and if I was a real cynic, I'd say it was done for that purpose...but I'm not so cynical as that. Fair dinkum, the routine is there again...the indignant statements - "close-mindedness" "take offence to" "double stamdard" - all for an opinion? I don't care if you don't like my opinion, you're quite entitled to, but I don't go shoving it down people's throats...fair dinkum, no wonder so many hate religion...

The selfish, they're all standing in line
    Faithing and hoping to buy themselves time
    Me, I figure as each breath goes by
    I only own my mind...

Thanks, I feel better now...(JUST HAD TO RANT)...peace and love again to y'all. My visit to this post is over.....
  • Options
    because religion has no business being in good music. i think it's too busy starting wars anyways

man starts wars, they just use religion as an excuse.

this is the same thing as the whole "guns don't kill people, people kill people". you're not wrong, but millions have killed in the name of god. yes they're using it as an excuse, but they're still killing because they possess extreme beliefs.
    i don't intend to offend anyone with my post(s), i just view religion in a negative light. i don't view individuals who have beliefs (except extremists) in a bad way.

i cant speak for anyone else but u havent offended me at all, everyone has a right to there own opinion. tbh im not religious not even a little bit. i just thought it was a little closed minded saying religion is too busy starting wars but if thats how u see it then fair do's im not gonna disrespect ur opinion.
    IF YOU HATE SOMETHING,.. DONT YOU DO IT TOO
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    I would be absolutely gutted if Pearl Jam did a religious album.

It would leave me seriously thinking about whether to ever listen to their music again. Luckily, they aren't unintelligent or gullible enough to believe in such nonsense.

Chris Cornell doing an RnB album is one thing, but religious music is a hell of a lot worse. Pun fucking well intended.
  • Options
    Well, i think you have no shot at seeing a PJ gospel album.But you do have a better shot of Eddie solo. Who thought there would be a whole record of just ukulele?
    In the meantime you should check out Eddie Vedder with the walmer high school choir. It's african music but close enough.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,510
    If someone doesn't think PJ should do a gospel album or thinks that it would suck or whatever, it's their opinion, and it doesn't mean they are closed-minded. I also think it would be ridiculous. I mean, Long Road, Rise and Come Back are spiritual, but they ain't gospel music by any means.

And this made made me laugh my ass off: :lol:
    ... but i'd pee my pants laughing if i ever saw ed singing about god with stone, mike, jeff, and matt clapping and singing behind him.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Because one is having a difference in opinion while the other is flat out disrespectful.

lol okay. double standard.

All I'm saying is that you can contradict something all you want, but if you're going to denounce something then you should have some solid evidence to prove your point, which is impossible with religion or any spiritual view.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    I believe that statement right there is an example of the closed mindedness of people on the boards.

Are you not willing to be open minded enough to consider that there could be some musical merit to the idea?

Why would it be ridiculous? Out of character maybe, but it's only an opinion that says it's ridiculous. Personally, I love gospel music. I'm not religious in the slightest, but I love gospel music because it sounds amazing. Not sure how Pearl Jam would sound doing a gospel album - Ed's voice might sound completely awesome with a gospel choir behind it. Just because people don't expect it, or think it's out of character is not a reason to say it is a ridiculous idea.

Let me quickly correct you. I am NOT closed minded. I said it would be out of character. There's a difference. And it's ridiculous that so many people are shitting their pants over not giving the idea a chance. Personally, I don't care if they do one. If you wanted to, you could interpret the idea spiritually rather than religiously. Which would be alright with me. But I still don't think it's going to happen. And that's not being closed minded, that's reality.
  • Options
    What I find comical is that so many people have gotten in such a wad over a question raised by the OP. Should they do it? Should they not do it? as if anyone of us has control over the decisions of the band or if they really even care how a few fan club members feel about this. If the band wants to do something, I feel they damn well would do it after all these years and without question. Although, if you step back and look at it objectively, almost everyone would have to agree that it would be out of the ordinary for PJ to do something like this. I am not saying it wouldn't sound good. But if you think about Ed and how he holds true to his beliefs and I see him drawing the line somewhere. I just don't see them going there anytime soon.
  • Options
    i cant speak for anyone else but u havent offended me at all, everyone has a right to there own opinion. tbh im not religious not even a little bit. i just thought it was a little closed minded saying religion is too busy starting wars but if thats how u see it then fair do's im not gonna disrespect ur opinion.

lol when i wrote the war comment i was being extreme just for the sake of being extreme. i do believe that religion can and does help individuals through tough times, but i also know that many have killed in the name of god. so, to me, the idea of religion is a double edged sword. i personally have no time for it, but i don't judge people for their beliefs... unless they're trying to impose them on me lol

i think everyone in this world needs to watch dogma. just saying.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Just my opinion - I don't think a gospel album is a good idea.
  • Options
    The Oracle wrote:
    WOW - the self-righteous religious right just seem to pop up everywhere whenever the faith is criticised, this time through the music. The OP sure created a storm with this topic, and if I was a real cynic, I'd say it was done for that purpose...but I'm not so cynical as that. Fair dinkum, the routine is there again...the indignant statements - "close-mindedness" "take offence to" "double stamdard" - all for an opinion? I don't care if you don't like my opinion, you're quite entitled to, but I don't go shoving it down people's throats...fair dinkum, no wonder so many hate religion...

The selfish, they're all standing in line
    Faithing and hoping to buy themselves time
    Me, I figure as each breath goes by
    I only own my mind...

Thanks, I feel better now...(JUST HAD TO RANT)...peace and love again to y'all. My visit to this post is over.....

Just for the record, I'm not religious in the slightest - as I have already said. I would call people closed minded if they were giving people their opinion on any other type of album and trying to pass that opinion off as fact. I have no problem whatsoever with people saying "in my opinion, this is a ridiculous idea". I have a problem with people saying definitively "this is a ridiculous idea" because that's only their opinion. Maybe that's being pedantic, but people should know and state the difference between opinion and fact. That's all. It's my opinion that Ed with a gospel choir behind him might sound great. It's a fact that people being not willing to consider the idea at all, is closed minded. Religion has NOTHING to do with it. I would say that if someone suggested Pearl Jam do a jazz album or a thrasher metal type album. My opinion on the sound might be different, but I'd still be ok with considering it before I heard it. It goes for anything in life - if you are unwilling to try and experience something different just because you firmly believe that your way/style is better and nothing else will work, that's being closed minded. You can hate it, you can think it's stupid, but just don't say your opinion is fact. Say it's your opinion. My rant is also over now.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    Just my opinion - I don't think a gospel album is a good idea.

See? This. Opinion is fine. Everyone has one. There IS a difference between opinion and fact. That is all.
  • Options
    It's a fact that people being not willing to consider the idea at all, is closed minded.

wouldn't that be your opinion? also, we're not in a court room so certain things are allowed to be implied. when someone says "it's a shit idea", CLEARLY that's their opinion and they shouldn't have to state it.
  • Options
    It's a fact that people being not willing to consider the idea at all, is closed minded.

wouldn't that be your opinion? also, we're not in a court room so certain things are allowed to be implied. when someone says "it's a shit idea", CLEARLY that's their opinion and they shouldn't have to state it.

No. The definition of being narrow or closed minded is the unwillingness to consider new/others' ideas or thoughts. So that's not my opinion.

And you can imply something is your opinion all you like, but unless you state that's your opinion, you are giving others the idea that you think your opinion is not just an opinion but actually fact. If you are faced with a new food or new activity and you say 'that's shit. Not going to try it', then that's being narrow/closed minded. Am I guilty of that? Yes. Do I pretend that I know everything? No. Do I realise that's closed minded? Yes. But if I said "I don't think I want to try that, it doesn't appeal to me", then that is me stating my opinion and not assuming that my opinion is the definitive answer.

THAT was my gripe with this whole thread. People not realising the difference between opinion and fact. That's all. Could absolutely care less about Pearl Jam doing a gospel album. I just don't like it when people shove their opinions all over the board without specifying that its ONLY their opinion and others are allowed to think differently and that their opinion is as valid as anyone else's, no matter how different.

And might I also add, the original post that I quoted didn't say "it's a shit idea". It said "it would be ridiculous". That right there, is someone stating their opinion as fact, it is not implied that that is their opinion. What's implied is that they think that statement is the truth. THAT is what my gripe is with, as I have said all along.
  • Options

...And you can imply something is your opinion all you like, but unless you state that's your opinion, you are giving others the idea that you think your opinion is not just an opinion but actually fact.

Actually in argumentive writing/essays you're not suppose to state that things are your opinion because it is already implied. The reader is suppose to always assume that all statements are the author's opinion.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,166
    pjradio wrote:
    At a July 22, 1998 Pearl Jam concert in Seattle's Memorial Stadium, Vedder said about the unusually beautiful weather, "I would thank God, but I don't believe in it."

If that's the case, why does Eddie address God regularly in lyrics?

"God, what do ou say?" in Marker in the Sand is a postmodern version of David's Psalms of lamentation.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    pjradio wrote:
    At a July 22, 1998 Pearl Jam concert in Seattle's Memorial Stadium, Vedder said about the unusually beautiful weather, "I would thank God, but I don't believe in it."

"God, what do ou say?" in Marker in the Sand is a postmodern version of David's Psalms of lamentation.

Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

the lyrics mention god, but the song is clearly about choices.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,280
    Perhaps we need some way to distinguish between religion -- specifically, organized religion -- and spirituality?

I think one can respect the teachings of Jesus without being a Christian per se. And Jesus's message -- love, grace, peace, redemption -- seems to be in a lot of what Ed writes, regardless of whether or not his songs are written from a "Christian" perspective. There's a lot to be said for peace love and understanding, regardless of whether or not one goes to church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7txCdLCP9U

As for the original question: I'd listen to Ed sing the phone book and the rest of the guys play nursery rhymes. So, I'd be interested in the result, yes.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,280
    I'm watching this right now, "The Weight": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyXOjiVh ... re=related

I think it would be awesome to see PJ cover it.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,166
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    pjradio wrote:

Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

the lyrics mention god, but the song is clearly about choices.

I understand that. It's clear. But Eddie still addresses God. A true atheist wouldn't bother. (For what it's worth, I'm a Christian by birth and background, part of the religious left). "All religions are branches of one big tree. It doesn't matter what you call Him just as long as you call." -- George Harrison
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    I love faithful, that's a gospel song right there... for the church of Atheism
    M.Y.T.H. is
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear
    We never listen
    Voice inside so drowned out
    Drowned you are, you are, you are a furry thing
    And everything is you
    Me you, you me, it's all related
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Because there pearl jam.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    I understand that. It's clear. But Eddie still addresses God. A true atheist wouldn't bother. (For what it's worth, I'm a Christian by birth and background, part of the religious left). "All religions are branches of one big tree. It doesn't matter what you call Him just as long as you call." -- George Harrison

i'll have to disagree with your atheist comment. i do believe that an atheist song writer would mention god in one of their songs, acknowledging others beliefs. chris carter might not believe in aliens, but it made for one hell of a good show lol
  • Options
    did not read thread

but gospel is a style of music- its not like pj to make a gimmicky record. id like to hear a song or two in this syle out of curiosity but op must be trolling
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    For me, "Marker in the Sand" all by itself is a Gospel Album!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    For me, "Marker in the Sand" all by itself is a Gospel Album!

And Wasted Reprise!

And this for good measure, although its Eddie, not PJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvMFdAtsRTg
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • Options

Actually in argumentive writing/essays you're not suppose to state that things are your opinion because it is already implied. The reader is suppose to always assume that all statements are the author's opinion.

Well that's all well and good, except for the fact that no one here is writing an essay, AND if you want to use that logic, then the other rules of essay writing should be taken into account. Such as correct spelling, correct use of grammar, and acknowledging other's input, ideas and statements with the correct form of referencing, including a reference list and a bibliography at the end. That being said, each 'essay' written on here should also then have an introduction to state their theory or intention, a concise and well researched argument to form the bulk of the essay, then a conclusion that clearly sums up the arguments made without introducing any new information.
    Oh, and smiley aren't allowed in essays either. ;)

And for the record, I am awesome at writing essays so if you want posts written like that, then I will be able to deliver. :)
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425
    Because Pearl Jam is a rock band. If you want a gospel album from someone who's known to all of us go and check out "There Will Be A Light" by Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama.

What I would like to see is something more blues-rock inspired as Mike's playing is a bit bluesy and Stone admires Jimmy Page. If they don't write they're own blues-rock songs why not do some covers?
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012