Options

Why doesnt pearl jam do a Gospel Album

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    rna2525 wrote:
    Finally after 28 posts someone mature had a good open minded response....the band would prob think its a neat idea...I hope they get word of this.

Not sure how the post I made was close minded or immature. I dont think you deserve to be smacked for making this post -- we all have our beliefs and opinions and are certainly entitled to them.
    That being the case, I shared my belief (in Pastafarianism - if you read the link it makes just as much sense as any other reglion) and said that PJ would rock anything they played.

Good luck to you - I hope that my post did not offend you, that was not the intent. I do think PJ would sound great playing most anything - but if you listen to what they have put out there as personal beliefs (as many people pointed out, albeit a bit roughly) the idea that they would do a gospel album is extremely far fetched.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    As someone who survived a childhood of southern religious oppression I get why many are all "WTF" but aren't Love Reign on Me, Long Road, and Come Back essentially gospel? It doesn't have to be religious to be gospel...

Actually I think to be Gospel it is a must that the lyrics be in some way religious. Otherwise how would they be connected to the Gospel or be called Gospel?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Just because you don't believe in God now, doesn't mean you won't later.
  • Options
    joe2317joe2317 Posts: 151
    As someone who survived a childhood of southern religious oppression I get why many are all "WTF" but aren't Love Reign on Me, Long Road, and Come Back essentially gospel? It doesn't have to be religious to be gospel...

You have a valid point and I'm sorry you had to endure that. I've seen that happen to people firsthand so I get what you're saying. I also agree with you about some of those songs and I'm truly glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way. As long as peace and love is the central message... there can surely be found an element of gospel. :)
    * Oklahoma City Ford Center - Apr 03, 2003
    * Kansas City Sprint Center - May 03, 2010
    * Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    * Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011

• Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    because religion has no business being in good music. i think it's too busy starting wars anyways
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    rna2525 wrote:
    the band would prob think its a neat idea

no offense but, doubtful....bet they haven't said/heard "NEAT" in awhile either
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    because religion has no business being in good music. i think it's too busy starting wars anyways
    CORRECT.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I think that would be like PJ trying to do a rap album...it just wouldn't work.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,518
    Something along the lines of Do the Evolution?

"There's my church I sing in the choir."

Hope my post isn't too immature...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    Seriously, the rapture is coming.
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    WOW, and I mean WOW.

I am agnostic, but seriously, WOW.

While yes I don't think it would actually happen, its nice to see the close mindedness here on the board. It would be an interesting thing for Pearl Jam to do, and could be really cool.

Also for all those that sit and say 'Pearl Jam isn't that kind of band' I have a hard time believing that Given To Fly is about anyone BUT Jesus. I mean seriously, look up the lyrics.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    be interesting
    danny d
  • Options

man starts wars, they just use religion as an excuse.
    IF YOU HATE SOMETHING,.. DONT YOU DO IT TOO
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Because you can't sing to a higher authority when you are higher than that authority.

PERFECTION.jpg
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    That would never happen. They'd sooner do one featuring just ukelele.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    joe2317 wrote:
    I'll admit that PJ doing a gospel album is a pretty far-fetched idea. Still, I never would have thought it (the idea) would have gotten so many awful responses. Ed's voice can have a soulful sound and PJ's music in general can come across as pretty spiritual sounding. For me, their music can be very spiritual. I do believe in God and I am a Christian and I know that can be viewed unfavorably here in these circles. This may seem odd to many people, but the messages I find in much of their music help me think of things I would/could easily otherwise blissfully overlook such as social inequality, hypocrisy in religion, the flaws of human nature, etc. Listening to the music actually helps me be a better person. But I digress...

I think the important thing to remember is that people shouldn't be so quick to judge other people's ideas and beliefs. The OP obviously has a Christian background and went out on a limb with it and posted it on here.

As someone pointed out, PJ could rock nursery rhymes if that's what they decided to play. Indeed, Gospel, done Pearl Jam style would undeniably sound righteous.

IMHO

great post! :clap: thank you!
  • Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    Me too brother......In fact ......I have thought about that a lot they would be a killer gospel album
    rna2525 wrote:
    I think it would be killer!!!

They have the ability and it seems like eddie really can get it done!!

I truly hope some day they do one.
  • Options

man starts wars, they just use religion as an excuse.

this is the same thing as the whole "guns don't kill people, people kill people". you're not wrong, but millions have killed in the name of god. yes they're using it as an excuse, but they're still killing because they possess extreme beliefs.
    i don't intend to offend anyone with my post(s), i just view religion in a negative light. i don't view individuals who have beliefs (except extremists) in a bad way.
  • Options
    i don't intend to offend anyone with my post(s), i just view religion in a negative light.

You can't have it both ways. Denouncing someone else's spiritual viewpoint because it's not your own is pretty open for taking offense to.

To get back on topic. I'd say The Into the Wild Soundtrack is Eddie's 'gospel' album as it celebrates nature and the human spirit.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    88keys88keys Posts: 151
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Also for all those that sit and say 'Pearl Jam isn't that kind of band' I have a hard time believing that Given To Fly is about anyone BUT Jesus. I mean seriously, look up the lyrics.

I've always thought the same thing until I found out Ed was an athiest. But I guess that doesn't mean an athiest can't write a song about what is, in the lyricist's opinion, the myth of Jesus.
    Camden 8/28/1998; Jones Beach 8/24/2000; Camden 9/1/2000; Camden 9/2/2000; Albany 4/29/2003; New York 7/8/2003; Vancouver 9/2/2005; Atlantic City 10/1/2005; Albany 5/12/2006; E. Rutherford 6/1/2006; E. Rutherford 6/3/2006; New York 6/24/2008; New York 6/25/2008; New York 5/20/2010
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    WOW, and I mean WOW.

I am agnostic, but seriously, WOW.

While yes I don't think it would actually happen, its nice to see the close mindedness here on the board. It would be an interesting thing for Pearl Jam to do, and could be really cool.

What's all this talk about closed mindedness? Anyone who knows anything about Pearl Jam knows it would be fucking ridiculous and completely out of character for them to do something like this. Now, on the other hand, if this were posted in a Ben Harper forum I would understand. It has less to do with the actual post itself as to where it was posted.

Oh and yes Given to Fly has "Jesus" references. But I don't think it's meant the way you see it. More along the lines of, "Jesus greets me, looks just like me..."
  • Options
    i don't intend to offend anyone with my post(s), i just view religion in a negative light.

You can't have it both ways. Denouncing someone else's spiritual viewpoint because it's not your own is pretty open for taking offense to.

To get back on topic. I'd say The Into the Wild Soundtrack is Eddie's 'gospel' album as it celebrates nature and the human spirit.

well then those people need to get over it. yes, you can have it both ways. i'm sure the religious understand that not everyone is going to share their beliefs. just like people who aren't religious understand that there are individuals who don't share theirs. do i get offended when someone tries to talk to me about faith? nope. so why should someone get offended when another individual denounces religion?
  • Options
    Because one is having a difference in opinion while the other is flat out disrespectful.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Because one is having a difference in opinion while the other is flat out disrespectful.

lol okay. double standard.
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    Go listen to Ed's cover of Springsteen's My City of Ruins from the Kennedy Center Honors show.

Most of you guys would be shitting your pants with excitement if Pearl Jam incorporated something like that into one of their songs.
  • Options
    Lament wrote:
    Go listen to Ed's cover of Springsteen's My City of Ruins from the Kennedy Center Honors show.

Most of you guys would be shitting your pants with excitement if Pearl Jam incorporated something like that into one of their songs.
    Yeah, I definitely don't think they'd be lacking any soul.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,448
    if they did it would be sarcastically
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    What's all this talk about closed mindedness? Anyone who knows anything about Pearl Jam knows it would be fucking ridiculous and completely out of character for them to do something like this.

I believe that statement right there is an example of the closed mindedness of people on the boards.

Are you not willing to be open minded enough to consider that there could be some musical merit to the idea?

Why would it be ridiculous? Out of character maybe, but it's only an opinion that says it's ridiculous. Personally, I love gospel music. I'm not religious in the slightest, but I love gospel music because it sounds amazing. Not sure how Pearl Jam would sound doing a gospel album - Ed's voice might sound completely awesome with a gospel choir behind it. Just because people don't expect it, or think it's out of character is not a reason to say it is a ridiculous idea.
  • Options
    What's all this talk about closed mindedness? Anyone who knows anything about Pearl Jam knows it would be fucking ridiculous and completely out of character for them to do something like this.

I believe that statement right there is an example of the closed mindedness of people on the boards.

Are you not willing to be open minded enough to consider that there could be some musical merit to the idea?

Why would it be ridiculous? Out of character maybe, but it's only an opinion that says it's ridiculous. Personally, I love gospel music. I'm not religious in the slightest, but I love gospel music because it sounds amazing. Not sure how Pearl Jam would sound doing a gospel album - Ed's voice might sound completely awesome with a gospel choir behind it. Just because people don't expect it, or think it's out of character is not a reason to say it is a ridiculous idea.

it would be ridiculous. pearl jam is not a band that can pull of gospel music. i'm open for pearl jam experimenting... it's only been almost ten years since they've done that... but i'd pee my pants laughing if i ever saw ed singing about god with stone, mike, jeff, and matt clapping and singing behind him.
    there have been a few people on here stating that pearl jam has written songs about spirituality, and they have. but gospel music and songs about spirituality are two different things.

but what do i know. pearl jam might sound amazing covering this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hEiGEfm2uE
  • Options

it would be ridiculous. pearl jam is not a band that can pull of gospel music. i'm open for pearl jam experimenting... it's only been almost ten years since they've done that... but i'd pee my pants laughing if i ever saw ed singing about god with stone, mike, jeff, and matt clapping and singing behind him.
    there have been a few people on here stating that pearl jam has written songs about spirituality, and they have. but gospel music and songs about spirituality are two different things.

but what do i know. pearl jam might sound amazing covering this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hEiGEfm2uE

So my point is made again. That's what makes this board closed minded. Are you the be all and end all of music? Just because you don't think it would sound good, and just because you would laugh, and just because you don't think they can pull off gospel doesn't make it fact. That is opinion. And the definition of closed mindedness is not being open to the idea of something that you might not agree with, or think would work. You say you are open to them experimenting, but you aren't open to them experimenting with gospel? That's a bit of a double standard don't you think? Just because YOU don't think it would sound good, does not make it fact. Stating your opinion as fact is very closed minded.