Options

*** Columbia, SC Fanviews Here 6/16/2008 ***

12346»

Comments

• Options
    tdubtdub Posts: 226
    Abby wrote:
    I have been a fan of the music for a long time - since the beginning. I have seen 8 shows since the early 90's. I will never buy another piece of their music nor attend another PJ concert.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but when you use a concert stage as a bully pulpit, you will immediately alienate a good portion of your audience. I guess when you get to a point in your life where you have so much money you just don't care what other people think. Thanks Eddie for another diatribe on the world according to Vedder. It will be the last time you make me pay for your warped opinion.

Nice first post. hopefully the last. Ed did apologize for ranting and did thank everyone for listening even if they disagreed. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it takes balls to stand up and say what he said...and to do it night after night. He has a conviction and whether I agree or disagree, I sit through 5 minutes of an Ed rant to get to hear 3 hours of fucking Pearl Jam!!

Sad thing is that many boo Ed and bash him for his political rants during shows....while the other 'rock' bands out there are too busy changing into their next outfit for the encore...or singing about pointless shit like Nickelback does. At least Ed and the band have a basis and a direction.

Most of the people that get mad about Ed's speeches are the same that either:
    a) voted for Bush
    b) still think that the war in Iraq has a point
    c) are ashamed that they still support the blinded conservative views that hamper this nation

...at least that's my take.
  • Options
    WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    Abby wrote:
    I have been a fan of the music for a long time - since the beginning. I have seen 8 shows since the early 90's. I will never buy another piece of their music nor attend another PJ concert.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but when you use a concert stage as a bully pulpit, you will immediately alienate a good portion of your audience. I guess when you get to a point in your life where you have so much money you just don't care what other people think. Thanks Eddie for another diatribe on the world according to Vedder. It will be the last time you make me pay for your warped opinion.

Abby, you may be gone forever, but I just think you need to rethink your reaction....maybe you don't see that everyone has a right to say what they wish, including Eddie. Yes, he has a bully pulpit, but we gave it to him and frankly even though I may not always agree with him, its good for the soul to hear alternative opinions. Think about it, he isn't forcing you but he is offering you something more than just the kool-aid that maybe you are used to drinking. If all you can do is listen to people who agree with you, then that's your problem. Take care.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    I aplogize that the sound is not good, I messed up by not turning the microphone volume down....focused soley on video with my new camera and just didn't realize how it would distort. sorry but I think the video is great.

High quality is best if you got the speed
    Watch Eddie break his strings:
    Present Tense and Whipping
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL3gQO1WxUk

Eddie greets SC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdO8cmTe3e8

Lollapalooza 2007 pic, vedder and harper
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0151.jpg

Mike
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0765.jpg

Eddie, great shot
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0045.jpg

Stone and Jeff
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0046.jpg

Mike as Jimmy Page
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0047.jpg

I will add some more later
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    cutz wrote:
    Man you got LUCKY to have a wife, who will do that for you. Does she have a sister?>LOL!!!

She does, but trust me Dewey, you don't want none of that shit. She's insane.

So Tuesday evening about 8 we took my wife to the emergency room. Turns out in addition to her massive uti she also had a kidney infection and a couple of kidney stones. She came home from the hospital Sunday morning. So I'm feeling a little guilty about the show. I tried to get her to stay home. I even offered to leave the show, but she said no. Now I think that she is really sweet, but also a little stupid. :)
  • Options
    Abby wrote:

Warped Opinion!!! What about the 28 Kick-ass songs and the great show they put on. I didn't grow up going to church but I do now (a few times a month). I still don't trust the pastors every point but it does get you thinking and the moment you stop thinking you are lost. So really get off Eddie he is one man who has always been known for his bold point of view. If you don't like it you have the choice to not go and listen so congrats on that. Just don't forget that when you have a point to get across (no matter how much money you make) you don't care who you alienate because it is a belief of yours not the masses. Just keep on keepin on, but remember, money or no money individuals should speak their mind because it matters to them. It should not matter if 3 million people listen or just 1. Ah yea and Abby next time you are having a conversation think about this, are you really listening or just waiting for your turn to speak??? For those who listen empower themselves!!!
    "Stress is an ignorant state. It believes that everything is an emergency"
    ~Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    Abby wrote:

If that show turned you into a non fan, then sorry you were a non fan all along. That was the best show I have ever seen by far and it was my 7th. He didn't really even have all that much politically to say. Were we even at the same show?
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • Options
    rock1010rock1010 Posts: 9
    Well, I finally got back on here to throw in my two cents for the Columbia show. First off... would like to thank my longtime friend Rex for the awesome ticket. He came all the way from Anchorage, AK to be there and his longtime Ten club membership got us great seats. I have been a PJ fan from the beginning (well since Ten) but this was the first time I had seen them in quite awhile and only the fourth time ever...It was the best show ever for me.

Secondly, I would like to thank Atlanta Jammer who we hung out with before the show for hooking my girlfriend up with a ticket that was just down from ours.

We were on Stone's side and I definately have a new respect for him. I have always thought that he has the greatest job in Rock & Roll because he doesn't have the solost pressures and mainly plays chords and typical rythem parts but...he's good too. I play the guitar and really admire what he brings to the table. Newfound respect for the guy with the greatest jig in Rock & Roll.

Tremendously good show and I loved the closeness of the venue and the intensity of the fans. The last time I saw them before this was in Atlanta in 04? It was at Phillips Arena and we had crappy seats and it sounded like junk because that place is just too big (although I saw Prince there "in the round" and that was AWESOME). Can't wait to see them again sometime soon (at a smaller venue like the Colonial center)!
  • Options
    pathorsespathorses Posts: 319
    WindNoSail wrote:
    I aplogize that the sound is not good, I messed up by not turning the microphone volume down....focused soley on video with my new camera and just didn't realize how it would distort. sorry but I think the video is great.

High quality is best if you got the speed
    Watch Eddie break his strings:
    Present Tense and Whipping
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL3gQO1WxUk

Eddie greets SC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdO8cmTe3e8

Lollapalooza 2007 pic, vedder and harper
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0151.jpg

Mike
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0765.jpg

Eddie, great shot
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0045.jpg

Stone and Jeff
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0046.jpg

Mike as Jimmy Page
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/CurrentsWillShift/IMG_0047.jpg

I will add some more later

Thanks SO much for that!!!! Helps my withdrawals.......!
    Pat
    Atlanta 3/94
    Charleston 10/96
    Greenville 4/98
    Charlotte 8/00
    Charlotte 4/03
    Gorge I & II 7/06
    Columbia 6/08
    Jazz Festival 5/10
    Noblesville 5/10
  • Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    I posted last week that I had some pics from Sec 105 10C seats.....Here they are:

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/iisee2003/Columbia%206-16-08/

As all have said, GREAT GREAT show! Totally loose vibe and just the boys having fun...and all of us too!! Saw them Tues night in VA Beach too...better seats and better pics...Here's a link for that one...

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/iisee2003/Virginia%20Beach%206-17-08/

This show also rocked....but in a different way! Hard to describe, but it was a little 'slicker' and without some of the fuck ups, but still a great setlist!

Hope ya'll enjoy! Peace!
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    pathorsespathorses Posts: 319
    iisee wrote:
    I posted last week that I had some pics from Sec 105 10C seats.....Here they are:

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/iisee2003/Columbia%206-16-08/

As all have said, GREAT GREAT show! Totally loose vibe and just the boys having fun...and all of us too!! Saw them Tues night in VA Beach too...better seats and better pics...Here's a link for that one...

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/iisee2003/Virginia%20Beach%206-17-08/

This show also rocked....but in a different way! Hard to describe, but it was a little 'slicker' and without some of the fuck ups, but still a great setlist!

Hope ya'll enjoy! Peace!

thanks for sharing! The only thing I found weird about Columbia was the stage was so small that Mike didn't do his manic march/pace thing.......you know? It was great, though, no complaints!
    Atlanta 3/94
    Charleston 10/96
    Greenville 4/98
    Charlotte 8/00
    Charlotte 4/03
    Gorge I & II 7/06
    Columbia 6/08
    Jazz Festival 5/10
    Noblesville 5/10
  • Options
    Bumping this thread because I feel this show was absolutely kick ass! Great setlist and the band was in superb form!! And the crowd, well the crowd was loud and into the whole show!!!

Can't wait to hear the boot!!! Bring back the memories!

I think the South showed the band some real love at this show!

Thanks for coming this way Pearl Jam!
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Options
    baby83baby83 Posts: 8
    This was my first PJ show, and granted I have no previous experience on this, but I still think it was pretty up there.

I took it upon myself to scream "POOOOORCH!" at the top of my lungs quite a few times, so I'm taking credit for them playing it that night. I keep telling myself they only played it to shut me up, and that's OK by me, hehe. Anyway, there were a lot of highlights (the whole show?), Indifference was incredible (especially with all those people on their way out because they thought the show was over...wtf? that was my first show, and even I know the show's not over until they bow), Given To Fly (I screamed like a schoolgirl when I heard the first chords...that being my favorite of their songs, and the one that turned me onto PJ 10 years ago), the awesome Columbia Choir during Better Man, No More almost had me in tears, Can't Keep, the whole thing, but those are the ones that I remember off the top of my head. Beautiful. What a way to kick off what I hope will be many PJ shows attended by me. :D

Also, about Ed's comments, I honestly think everyone's got their own stance when it comes to that particular subject. Eddie happens to be in a position where he can express it to the masses, and for that, more power to him! Personally, I went into it actually expecting to hear at least some politically-influenced banter, especially this being in the South. Anyone who knows even the least bit about the band, knows they are quite opinionated and will say what they feel. I actually happen to admire them for that, but then again, I'm not a Southern conservative... or a Northern one, for that matter. :D

HAH, pretty lengthy for my first post. Hello! :)
  • Options
    Wow! I have to say this was the best show I have ever been too, and I have seen a lot of different bands.

This show had the greatest energy I have ever seen, everyone was into it, Mike was on fire, he is a guitar god! The band played awesome!

I can't wait for the CD boot!
    Nashville 03
    Columbia 08
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    baby83 wrote:
    This was my first PJ show, and granted I have no previous experience on this, but I still think it was pretty up there.

I took it upon myself to scream "POOOOORCH!" at the top of my lungs quite a few times, so I'm taking credit for them playing it that night. I keep telling myself they only played it to shut me up, and that's OK by me, hehe. Anyway, there were a lot of highlights (the whole show?), Indifference was incredible (especially with all those people on their way out because they thought the show was over...wtf? that was my first show, and even I know the show's not over until they bow), Given To Fly (I screamed like a schoolgirl when I heard the first chords...that being my favorite of their songs, and the one that turned me onto PJ 10 years ago), the awesome Columbia Choir during Better Man, No More almost had me in tears, Can't Keep, the whole thing, but those are the ones that I remember off the top of my head. Beautiful. What a way to kick off what I hope will be many PJ shows attended by me. :D

Also, about Ed's comments, I honestly think everyone's got their own stance when it comes to that particular subject. Eddie happens to be in a position where he can express it to the masses, and for that, more power to him! Personally, I went into it actually expecting to hear at least some politically-influenced banter, especially this being in the South. Anyone who knows even the least bit about the band, knows they are quite opinionated and will say what they feel. I actually happen to admire them for that, but then again, I'm not a Southern conservative... or a Northern one, for that matter. :D

HAH, pretty lengthy for my first post. Hello! :)

great first post!

this was my first PJ show too :D i'm so thankful that my first show was this amazing!
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    you are wrote:
    great first post!

this was my first PJ show too :D i'm so thankful that my first show was this amazing!
    Thank you! Amazing, huh? :) And I even left out the part about the funky messages I sent to the number on the side screens of the stage...they never actually showed them on there..bastards! Just because I don't have Verizon... :/

When are the bootlegs supposed to come out, I can't wait!
  • Options
    baby83 wrote:
    When are the bootlegs supposed to come out, I can't wait!

2 weeks from the day of the concert, so should be tomorrow!! :D:p
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    I just have to say that after reading all of the issues with other venues, I have to give thanks to the staff at The Colonial Center. We drove up from south of Atlanta, and were two hours late leaving (child care issues). We got just outside of Augusta when I realized I had left the tickets at home!

Mid-sentence, "Oh, shit. I didn't get the tickets." I almost bawled like a baby. My husband pulls over, and while I am ranting and raving, he calmly says, "call The Colonial Center". So, I called them up, got a great guy named John (I remember because I had to call back twice to get directions), who told me that if I had either my confirmation # or my credit card (that I used to buy the tickets--I had bought from their website the morning they went on sale), that they could reprint for me! I was in love with John.

We got into town late, the staff at the doors were cool, and I didn't have to wait more than three people to get to the window. The guy at the window wasn't the most personable guy, but he took my credit card, asked me why I needed reprints, accepted my answer, and gave me new ones.

Thank you, Colonial Center box office guy! :)
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Listening to this show for the first time right now. It's fucking great! I really like this show a lot, I might be buying more of the boots than I expected.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    Is it good then? I read on some other thread that the bootleg for the Tampa show was not that great. So I had (have) this fear that it's going to sound really crappy. :|

I haven't listened to the Columbia one yet, it's downloading at this very moment. :D
  • Options
    ...nevermind :D
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    HushBull wrote:
    Listening to this show for the first time right now. It's fucking great! I really like this show a lot, I might be buying more of the boots than I expected.

i'm listening to it now too! it's amazing! :D i'm so proud to be part of that crowd singing Betterman! :p
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    you are wrote:
    i'm listening to it now too! it's amazing! :D i'm so proud to be part of that crowd singing Betterman! :p

Oh yes! I can hear myself, can't you? (tee hee)
    "All Those Yesterdays" keep adding up.
  • Options
    Oh yes! I can hear myself, can't you? (tee hee)

LOL! i'm listening to it today at work and it's so hard to concentrate! i'm all giddy! :D:p
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    JackieboyJackieboy Posts: 78
    Probably the most interesting set-list I've ever seen. :D
  • Options
    Ditto on the giddy part! :)

Also, I noticed that when I was listening to certain songs, I got all teary-eyed, something I thought I'd do at the show (which almost but didn't happen), but not when listening to the bootleg. Just a bit odd I think. Ah, nostalgia.
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    Abby wrote:

Thanks for a memorable first, and hopefully last post abby ... we're really gonna miss you around here ...thanks for making another seat available ... now, please ... LEAVE AND DONT COME BACK!!!
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    W00t CDs are pressed and ship soon. You can listen to samples here:

http://www.kufala.com/artists/show.php?catnum=341

This was my second live PJ show and I can't tell you HOW AWESOME it was. I grew up in Columbia but live 10 hours away and it was well worth the trip. I got to see old friends who used to party with me while listening to PJ. Even took one to the show, which was his first concert that I know of.

I just can't wait to get the disc so I can continue to relive that night.

Thanks PJ !!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    W00t CDs are pressed and ship soon. You can listen to samples here:

http://www.kufala.com/artists/show.php?catnum=341

Thanks PJ !!!

They are streaming the full Red Mosquito.
  • Options
    i was at this show and i will say that it easily destroys the other two shows i've been to (cleveland and pittsburgh, both in 06)
    You may have seen me:
    Cleveland 5/20/2006
    Pittsburgh 6/23/2006
    Columbia 6/16/2008
    Bristow 5/13/2010
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I had a 9th row lottery seat for SC the best I've ever had for PJ- it was awesome -thanks ten club for sharing and now I'm enjoying my bootleg- thanks PJ- and reliving the memories but not only of the concert - the last 17 years - each song brings a memory with it. And the best part there will be more!