Options

*** Columbia, SC Fanviews Here 6/16/2008 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,937
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Can't Keep, Why Go, All Night, Hail Hail, Sad, Severed Hand, Red Mosquito, I Am Mine, Even Flow, Off He Goes, Small Town, Present Tense, Whipping, I Got Shit, Army Reserve, Glorified G, Do The Evolution

Encore 1: Inside Job, Given To Fly, Education, W.M.A., Better Man, Save You, Porch

Encore 2: No More, Footsteps, Alive

Encore 3: Indifference

Please share your Fanviews of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Nice to see All Night might become a regular for the tour...
    Adampharris
    1992: Phoenix, Desert Sky Pavilion
    1998: RFK Stadium -- Tibetan Freedom
    1998: Great Western Forum I
    2000: Greek Theater
    2006: Great Western Forum I
    2008: The Wiltern (EV SOLO)
    2008: VH1 The Who Tribute
    2009: LA I, LA III, SD
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Let's see the reviews fellow southerners. Looks like you got a hell of a show.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    tdubtdub Posts: 226
    HELL OF A SHOW!!! I won the lottery, so row 2 treated me nice. a pocket full of Mike pics, Mike's shirt, got to swig from Ed's wine.

still a little high - I'll post pics/vids later.
  • Options
    TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    First Pearl Jam show I've ever been to... wow.

I've been drinking too much, so I'll post a more in depth review tomorrow.

But "Red Mosquito", "I Am Mine", "Glorified G"... all in one set list? When is the last time that happened?

Incredible show, the band was on fire. Mike nailed all of his guitar parts... especially "Red Mosquito"... and "Porch" was fantastic.

Simply incredible show. The hits were received extremely well... but I think the crowd really enjoyed hearing some of the rarities. Just an amazing show... no one does it quite like Pearl Jam.
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    porch4294porch4294 Posts: 123
    Ok, just back to the hotel & what a show!
    This was show # 20 for me & right now, I’m thinking it's near the top of the list. I’m not sure if that’s because it’s been two yrs since seeing them & I was really looking forward to it, but I loved the energy (of the crowd & band) & they sounded really good - plus, I loved the rarities in the set list!

So, for a quick re-cap. 4th row – thanks Ten Club.
    Kings of Leon were good openers and of course, the crowd really got going when Ed joined them for the last song.

Crowd 1st goes nuts at Why Go & the great energy of the night is set. 1st time for me hearing All Night live was the 1st of many highlights for me. I believe it was after Hail Hail, Ed addressed the crowd and seemed a bit emotional saying he’s been dealing with things and that he was getting a really good feeling from the crowd.
    [yes, Ed, it’s Southern Hospitality and we love ya to play here more often]
    He made another comment about never playing here before and it being 10 years since they've played this state, so had some catching up to do.

Another early highlight – Sad!!! My favorite song that I’d yet to hear live.
    He introduced Red Mosquito as a song about being stuck in a room with an insect.

Wow… I’m writing this & just thinking how many others were great to hear – I am Mine, Off he Goes, Present Tense, etc., etc. – and they really sounded great.

Sure a few mess-ups starting a couple of songs, but they played very well together (and while I wasn't at the other three shows on this tour, the others sitting around me said it was a lot tighter, better sound tonight).

The 1st encore was one of the best encores I’ve seen – they just kept playing. Some one had a sign for wma & Ed added it in. Betterman & Save You seemed like closers to the encore, but they continued into that awesome new intro to Porch and played a great version! That Save You / Porch combo was a killer way to end the encore.

To start the 2nd encore, Ed talked about Tomas Young’s current condition and how he’s dealing with medical issues and dedicated a great version of No More to Tomas. Footsteps with great harmonica and another highlight and the lights on version of Alive with the Colonial Center rocking!

They say goodnight – like it was really over. All lights on, filler music comes on and then they run back to stage – Ed gives the 1 more sign and into Indifference & the whole arena certainly screamed their lunges out until filled the room…

What a night. What a band!!!
  • Options
    Wow. Ok. I don't even know where to begin. This band never ceases to amaze me. Wow. Alright, I'm on a complete Pearl Jam concert high. Holy shit. Thank you Pearl Jam, thank you.

First off (well, second off cause I already thanked PJ), thank you Dr. J. He's a poster here who was able to hook me up with a 10 club ticket. I am a 10club member, but was not sure if I was going to be in Columbia (thank God I am!) this summer, so I couldn't do the presale. We had seats in section 105, second row (awesome seats on Mike's side, right next to the row 18 on the floor). This was my 5th show, but first time in 10club seating, and it was a blast. I met some awesome people who were loving the show just as much as me.

So I hung out around the Colonial Center before the doors open, and was able to get in early and snag a wristband for a poster (which is BADASS, easily the best one of the tour yet). I also "crotched" my camera to get it past security. Booyah.

So after buying an overpriced hotdog I made my way to my seat for Kings of Leon. I've seen KOL before (at Lolla and in Philly 07), but hadn't listen to them in a while, so it was refreshing to hear them rock out. They opened with a new song (Crawl?), which was good. Definitely sounded more like Because of the Times material more than their older stuff. Then came Black Thumbnail, one of my favs, followed by Taper Jean Girl and a bunch of other rockers. They nailed Four Kicks, it was my second favorite of the night, behind SLOW NIGHT SO LONG WITH EDDIE! Before the song the roadies pulled out a second mic stand, and the guy next to me (who rocked, I'm not sure if you post here, but thanks for making the show hella-fun) lost his shit calling out Eddie's name. And Eddie came and beat the shit out of some tambourines. Granted, I saw this spectical at Lollapalooza, but it was still every bit as awesome. The total set time was 45ish minutes. Good stuff for sure.

So, it's about ten till 9 and our boys start walking onto the stage. The stand-up bass is out, and I'm not sure what to expect. I heard All or None soundchecked, so I was thinking maybe that, but it was CAN'T KEEP!!! Riot Act haters may not dig Can't Keep, but I love it. As I was just getting into Pearl Jam 4 years ago, I constantly listened to it on the Benaroya cd, and it was great to hear to start off the show. Then, switching gears, comes a swift kick to the face with Why Go. The whole crowd went apeshit, singing along and rocking out. Loved it. Then came All Night! I pooped myself when I saw it on the Roo setlist, and didn't think we'd get to hear it. But they played it (after a false start haha), and it ruled. Same with Hail Hail, which I've never seen before live. I felt like Harvey Dent after Sad, because my face was melting off. Severed Hand to Small Town were all solid, and Red Mosquito was a great suprise. He introduced it as an old song about being stuck in the hotel room with a bug, and my mind went thought "BUGS?!", but the lights turned red and I was bitten by the devil.

Off He Goes was a great way to cool down from the blistering Mike solo and Matt drum breakdown on Even Flow. Then, after Small Town, came Present Tense. My eyes teared up. The crowd sung along with Ed for the first half, and it was beautiful. Then, the second half was a complete rock out session that almost gave me an aneurysm. Followed by one of my favorite tracks, WHIPPPING!! I think Ed messed up the lyrics, but I'm not sure since I was too busy in a full-fledged, self-moshing, head-bang air-guitar rock out session. Holy crap.

I Got Shit rocked, Army Reserve was pretty, Glorified G ROCKED SO FUCKING HARD AHHHHH, and then Do The Evolution capped off the main set. Columbia crowd, you sang like a fucking chior. I love you all.

First encore started off swimginly with Inside Job and Given to Fly. Then Ed brought out the blue sparkly guitar, which I vividly rememered being played on Education at the Vic and Lolla. So when Ed said this song fits our environment, I knew it was on. I love that riff. Love it love it love it. So the band was about to start Betterman, then Ed went and talked to Mike, Jeff, Matt, Stone, and Boom. Stone put the acoustic away, and Ed said this was a request from up front. The band starts jamming, and then, hauntingly, "He won the lottery......." AHHHHHHH! WMA!!!! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!! Everyone around me was in complete jubilation. The reworked version sounded awesome, ending a call in response that was great. Holy shit. I'm just thinking about it now. AHHHHH!

Betterman, Save You, and a bitchin' Porch closed out the 1st encore. Soon enough, Ed was out with the acoustic, and gave a very moving speech. Sometimes when Ed talks politics, even though I agree with him, I'm just biding time for him to start rockin. But this was very emotional, very powerful stuff. After thanking us for listening (what a polite gentleman), he played No More. Afterwards, the band came out, and considering the long 1st encore I expected Alive and Yellow Ledbetter to close it out. But instead, we got FOOTSTEPS!!! Ed played the harmonica, and it was very moving. I got pretty emotional about this too, just a fantastic performance. Then came Alive, and the whole crowd, fists in air, rocked out. Mike played the beginning of the solo behind his head. So sick. So by the end of this the house lights were on, and the band Ed was saying there goodbyes. They walked off stage, and some people started leaving. The rest of us though perservered on, chanting "ONE MORE, ONE MORE, ONE MORE!" And sure enough, they ran back on-stage, with the house lights on, Jeff carrying the stand-up bass, and played Indifference. It was beautiful. The house lights were on, it wasn't like a concert. It was like a bunch of people in a room watching the band play. No flashing lights, no on-stage antics. Just a stripped-down, organic, amazing version of an amazing song.

I still have goosebumps. This is my only show this tour (as Ed mentioned, gas prices are up there these days), but I couldn't be happier. Everyone going to shows on the rest of the tour, you are in for a treat. The band is playing really tight, prepared to really fuck your mind with the setlists, and best of all, having fun. You would never know these guys are getting up there age-wise. They seem reinvigorated. The energy was off the charts.

Thanks Mike, Matt, Jeff, Stone, Ed, Boom, Dr. J, the front of section 105, and the entire crowd. You made tonight a night I'm not gonna forget.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • Options
    huck5huck5 Posts: 91
    Bitter sweet show for me. Awesome set, awesome performance, awesome crowd, but my little guy got sick.

Saw PJ in Knoxville, TN in 1998, and Nashville, TN in 2003, and this show was the best by far. Great electricity from the crowd. The audience was on their feet the entire time.

The band was very receptive to our "southern hospitality." Ed spoke frequently throughout the night. "All Night" is not one my favorite "Lost Dogs" but it might be one of my new favorite live songs.

Can't Keep was a great opener. Encore 1 was sick. Encore 2 was awesome, and encore 3 topped off a perfect night, even though I was really wanting to hear YL live for once!

On the setlist from the stage, Baba O' Riley was down after Indifference, but I think that was the perfect ending.

I think this show will make an awesome boot.

I'll share a few pics from row 19, stage left...peace....

http://touringfamily2008.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    blkhwk21blkhwk21 Posts: 18
    Eddie and the boys were great, another great set list. Unfortunately our seats were in section 222 and the sound was not on - it sounded like the music was coming out of a can, but that was my misfortune as pleanty others in the lower sections and on the floor stated the sound was perfect. I drove in with a friend of Mine from Chicago and we stopped one day at the Roo (Ill save that post for the Roo thread - AMAZING!!!) and sat 30' off the stage from what could have been the best show ever. So I knew not to expect too much for the SC show, but it was still PJ, still great, and they were into it all night long. Just more bummed about Colonial Centers sound system, and quite surprised at the huge number of fans in the upper sections that decided to sit the WHOLE SHOW??!! I realize we are in the South, But Come the fuck on!!! This is Pear Jam not Kane West or something (sorry had to take a shot). The lower section fans were rocking and the floor looked insane - we displayed that same emotion on the upper lever to the dismay to those around us. Love PJ - Cant wait for the bootleg as the set list was very good, just hard to follow up two days after the Roo show.
  • Options
    Born.Mine.DieBorn.Mine.Die Vancouver Posts: 225
    great fanviews guys, these shows are pumping me up even more for my upcoming shows...cant wait!!! amazing song selection thus far
    9/1/05, 9/2/05, 9/4/05, 9/5/05, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 5/27/06, 5/30/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 7/20/06, 7/22/06,7/23/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/25/09,10/06/09,10/07/09, 05/07/10, 09/25/11, 07/16/13,12/04/13,12/06/13, 10/14/14, 4/7/17, 08/08/18, 08/10/18, 05/04/24

EV 04/02/08, 04/03/08, 07/16/11
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    Fucking A...more Tomorrow....wishlist Party Kicked Ass...thank S Everyone For Coming!
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Sad I was not there...Glad you all had a good time....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    blkhwk21 wrote:
    quite surprised at the huge number of fans in the upper sections that decided to sit the WHOLE SHOW??!! I realize we are in the South, But Come the fuck on!!!

what's that have to do w/ the south??? do southerners sit more than ppl in the north?

when i was at boston 1 in 04 there were tons of ppl sitting down during the show and that was a fan club only show!
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    blkhwk21 wrote:
    Eddie and the boys were great, another great set list. Unfortunately our seats were in section 222 and the sound was not on - it sounded like the music was coming out of a can, but that was my misfortune as pleanty others in the lower sections and on the floor stated the sound was perfect. I drove in with a friend of Mine from Chicago and we stopped one day at the Roo (Ill save that post for the Roo thread - AMAZING!!!) and sat 30' off the stage from what could have been the best show ever. So I knew not to expect too much for the SC show, but it was still PJ, still great, and they were into it all night long. Just more bummed about Colonial Centers sound system, and quite surprised at the huge number of fans in the upper sections that decided to sit the WHOLE SHOW??!! I realize we are in the South, But Come the fuck on!!! This is Pear Jam not Kane West or something (sorry had to take a shot). The lower section fans were rocking and the floor looked insane - we displayed that same emotion on the upper lever to the dismay to those around us. Love PJ - Cant wait for the bootleg as the set list was very good, just hard to follow up two days after the Roo show.

Bitter; down-player.
    Ba Ba Booey
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Opening with Cant Keep! NICE! :D
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    blkhwk21blkhwk21 Posts: 18
    El_Kabong wrote:
    what's that have to do w/ the south??? do southerners sit more than ppl in the north?

when i was at boston 1 in 04 there were tons of ppl sitting down during the show and that was a fan club only show!

Yea, I guess that did sound like a shot at the South - No disrespect, great people great town! Just never seen people sit through a concert like that in Chicago - we were most likely the idiots to the fans around us as we displayed our emotion by going insane!! Dont get me wrong the Set list, Pear Jam and the vibe was incredible!!!!!!! It started in Florida and it has not slowed down!!! Great to see these insane set lists and the emotion that Pear jam is playing with right now. I just had a bad seat in the house, thats all. "So Fuck Me If I say something you dont want to hear"

KEEP IT UP BOYS, SHOULD BE A HELL OF A TOUR
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Wow Nice Set !!!!
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Awesome set list! Great show! At first we really couldn't hear the vocals that well, but that got better by the third song. Everyone seemed to be on their A game last night. A lot of energy and a great crowd. Couldn't ask for more from the performance.

Only complaint I have is with my 10 Club seats, but that's another rant for another thread.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Holy smokes!
    So far, that is my favorite setlist. :)
    I would have been even happier than I would have been. :p
    Glad you guys got an awesome show!
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    ...but I'm not sure since I was too busy in a full-fledged, self-moshing, head-bang air-guitar rock out session.

this is such a great line! thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! i can't effen wait for thursday night!
    ...just got a fresh bottle.
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    blkhwk21 wrote:

I thought the sound was really bad too.... I was at Bonnaroo too.. and realized that my hearing was shot... it was me, not them! Still loved it though
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I would have been even happier than I would have been. :p

Translation?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    alex_scalex_sc Posts: 116
    Great show...still thinking about it so I'll have to write more later. Crowd energy was nuts, Eddie was in rare form, great songs.

Off to Va. Beach this a.m.!
    Philly 05 ~ Camden I 06 ~ DC 06 ~ Columbia 08 ~ Va. Beach 08 ~ Camden I 08 ~ Atlanta 12 ~ Charlotte 13 ~ Columbia 16
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Ok, this tour officially means business. Kick ASS setlist!

MSG/Hartford/Mansfield cannot come fast enough!!!!!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Translation?

I would have been really happy just to have been there.
    But that setlist would have made me really, really happy.
    Dig? :p:)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    ItIsEvolutionBabyItIsEvolutionBaby Rogers, AR Posts: 397
    BinFrog wrote:
    Ok, this tour officially means business. Kick ASS setlist!

MSG/Hartford/Mansfield cannot come fast enough!!!!!

I agree...this setlist - to me - is better than Bonnaroo....just my opinion....and yes, I cannot wait for MSG 1 & 2.....one week away....
    Oh please, let it rain today, this city's so filthy, like my mind in ways . . .
    Memphis, TN 08.15.00
    Oklahoma City, OK 04.03.03
    Little Rock, AR 06.10.03
    Bonner Springs, KS 06.12.03
    St. Louis, MO 10.05.04
    Chicago, IL 05.17.06
    New York, NY 06.24.08
    New York, NY 06.25.08
    Kansas City, MO 05.03.10
    East Troy, WI 09.03.11
    East Troy, WI 09.04.11
    Chicago, IL 07.19.13
    Dallas, TX 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK 11.16.13
    Tulsa, OK 10.08.14
    Memphis, TN 10.14.14
    Boston, MA 08.05.16
    Boston, MA 08.07.16
    Chicago, IL 08.20.16
    Chicago, IL 08.22.16
    Seattle, WA 08.08.18
    Seattle, WA 08.10.18
    Boston, MA 09.02.18
    Boston, MA 09.04.18
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    I agree...this setlist - to me - is better than Bonnaroo....just my opinion....and yes, I cannot wait for MSG 1 & 2.....one week away....

msg is gonna be retarded awesome set last night
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    Glad to see that the crowd down south looks like they were really good, hope that it is the same for tonights show in VA beach.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    erik768erik768 Decatur, GA Posts: 117
    Amazing show. My favorite out of Tampa and WPB which I also attended. Ed was in a great playful mood all night and the band played with such energy. On quite a view of the songs I about lost it. Footsteps just blew me away. Thanks Ten Club for awesome seats, mike's side row 16 on the floor.
    PJ
    2003 Tampa 2004 Kissimmee 2007 Chicago 2008 West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia 2009 Toronto, Chicago 1-2, Philadelphia 3-4 2010 New Orleans 2011 PJ20/East Troy 1-2 2012 Atlanta 2013 Baltimore 2016 Miami, Greenville 2018 Boston 1 2020 St. Louis 2022 Nashville, St. Louis 2023 Noblesville, Austin 1-2 2024 Chicago 1-2
    EV
    2009 Atlanta 1-2 2012 Jacksonville
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Sounds like they are really hitting their stride now, esp after what seemed to be an experience at the Roo. Add another to the must get boot list!