Options

*** Columbia, SC Fanviews Here 6/16/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    jxchambjxchamb Posts: 55
    I had a feeling that we'd be getting awesome set lists due to the fact that they're not promoting new record but I never dreamed of this. I can't freaking wait for the 28th. And I have to thank the band for selling physical copies of the bootlegs for this tour. I'm going to go broke buying all of these shows.
  • Options
    soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    I'm runnin on only two hours of sleep at the moment, so just to be brief, this was one of the best shows I've been to!!!!

I thought they kinda started a little rough, as it was apparent Ed was a little fucked up, he admitted as much apparently hittin it hard with the Followill's (KOL, which KICKED ASS by the way, slow night slow long with Ed might've been one of my favorite moments of the night)! They got tighter as the show went on and this setlist blew me away. There was the occasional flub of lyrics, but it was outstanding. Something happened to me during Army Reserve that has not happened to me before (unless alone in my room with a set of headphones) and somewhere in that chorus the emotions just welled up and I balled....My son was like "whats wrong, whats wrong" and I just tilted my head toward the stage....he got it. Highlights were red mosquito, education, and footsteps as the standouts for me. My mind is swimming, and I need sleep so this is all I can muster up. As always, Ed looked so incredibly gracious at the end of the evening, like he still has trouble believing after all these years, we're still there....one of the reasons I love these guys so much!

PS. I had my 17 yr old with me for his 2nd PJ show, and it stands out as one of the very best moments him and I have ever had. He had such a ball...I'm so proud....and I'm not sure how tickets were working with the lottery and all, but I ended up 8th row center, thanks 10C, you gave me and my kid an excellent experience! Here's hoping my daughter and I get to do it in DC!
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 641
    I love Can't Kepp as an opener! In general, I really like this set list....
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    by far my favorite setlist yet.

looks like an amazing show
  • Options
    simcolesimcole Posts: 7
    I loved the show. I brought a 1st timer with me and he loved it. I was 16th row on the floor, in the center. Awesome seats, kickass setlist, and loved the energy. Mike was smiling and interacting way more than I've ever seen him do before. Eddie was funny and energetic as well. I love listening to his stories live.

On another note if anyone has any good pictures of the concert please pm me or send me a link. NONE of mine turned out and I'd really like some to keep the memory and share with my friend. Thanks.
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    All I can say to the folks waiting to see them is Hold the Fuck on for an amazing ride. Only my 5th show ever, but without a doubt, the best yet. Truly, Truly amazing.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    interesting and brilliant set!!

(bootlegs i await thee)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Hi all.

I just wanted to mention how awesome my wife is. We drove to the show last night from Dalton, Ga (about an hour north of Atlanta). It's a good 4+ hour drive. We also drove home after the show. Anyway, Sunday night she started not feeling well. She has a history of getting urinary tract infections. Sure enough, she has one. Massive. She came to the show anyway.

So I'd just like to say to everyone who may have seen a girl in a car covered up with a blanket at 5:30 in the afternoon, or a girl throwing up in the trash can on the way in, or especially if you happened to be in neighborhood of section 113 row 8 and saw a girl slumped over in her seat all night, it wasn't because she's crazy, drunk, or bored. It's because she loves me enough to put herself through all that so that I didn't have to miss out on something that I wanted to do.
  • Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    Hi all.

I just wanted to mention how awesome my wife is. We drove to the show last night from Dalton, Ga (about an hour north of Atlanta). It's a good 4+ hour drive. We also drove home after the show. Anyway, Sunday night she started not feeling well. She has a history of getting urinary tract infections. Sure enough, she has one. Massive. She came to the show anyway.

So I'd just like to say to everyone who may have seen a girl in a car covered up with a blanket at 5:30 in the afternoon, or a girl throwing up in the trash can on the way in, or especially if you happened to be in neighborhood of section 113 row 8 and saw a girl slumped over in her seat all night, it wasn't because she's crazy, drunk, or bored. It's because she loves me enough to put herself through all that so that I didn't have to miss out on something that I wanted to do.
    Holy crap! Get that woman some antibiotics!
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Hi all.

I know these threads are for the people who attended, but...your wife is definitely awesome++. You are a lucky man for sure!!

I can't believe the setlists coming from this mini tour...OMG!!!!
  • Options
    Can't Keep, Why Go, All Night, Hail Hail, Sad, Severed Hand, Red Mosquito, I Am Mine, Even Flow, Off He Goes, Small Town, Present Tense, Whipping, I Got Shit, Army Reserve, Glorified G, Do The Evolution

Encore 1: Inside Job, Given To Fly, Education, W.M.A., Better Man, Save You, Porch

Encore 2: No More, Footsteps, Alive

Encore 3: Indifference

Let me just start off by saying that if you haven't seen this band yet on this tour and you are about to, get ready. The guys are on fkn fire, kicking ass and taking names right now. I have never seen them like this before. This was my 8th show and was by FAR the BEST show. Possibly the best show I have ever seen by any band.

The band was completey and totally into the show. I was afraid that coming off of 'Roo, that the Columbia show would get the shaft…..was I wrong! The crowd was into from the minute the band hit the stage until the end. Mike was going crazy all over the left side of the stage, Jeff bouncing all around, Ed was in rare form and never seen him like that before, and Stone was…..well, Stone! And Matt just pounded away all night long!

Had pretty good seats from the 10C. I didn't make it on the floor but was on the side 6 rows up. Perfect view! Thanks 10C and thank you Pearl Jam.

OK, so my take on the show. Most of which has already been said so I will just back it up.

Kings of Leon rocked the house. I might be biased because they are one of my favorite bands. But they rocked it, plain and simple. And "Slow Night" was awesome with Ed on the tambourine. You could tell he was into and that the night was gonna be sweet.

Pearl Jam took the stage and the place went insane. They came out with a good solid Can't Keep. And then into a BLISTERING "Why Go". "All Night" was awesome to hear live too, which I heard them sound checking when I was picking up my tickets. Around this time, Ed made the comment of saying a formal "hello" and that they hadn't "played in this state in over 10 years and had some catching up to do." I thought the roof was gonna blow off the place! The crowd just roared.

"Sad" and "Severed Hand" both were very, very solid. "Red Mosquito", WHA?!?! I mean, really?? They fkn nailed this song. My face was gone at this point. The next four songs all kicked ass with the a great sing along in "Even Flow", "Off He Goes", and "Small Town". NOW…."Present Tense" was absolutely incredible. The band was so tight on this song and it sounded just unbelievable. I was standing there in complete and total awe. Here I am standing there in this state of awe, and then they have the nerve to go into "Whipping" and then into "I Got Shit"!!! I just lost it! Those three songs were the highlight of the night for me, personally. The next three songs were also kick ass, ending the set on "DTE", which the house was rocking. Literally! At sone point in between all of those songs, Ed rambled about them playing on the University of South Carolina's campus and how they were the "Gamecocks". And he went into this thing about who was the biggest "cock" and how he felt he fit right in, while holding his wine bottle at his crotch! It was THE funniest thing I have seen or heard at a PJ show! It was hilarious!!!

Encore 1 was just sick. SICK. I didn't think it would ever end. The selection of songs were fanstastic. "Given To Fly", "Education" and "WMA" were all absolutely phenomenal!!! A wonderful surprise to hear "Education" which is a personal favorite. The "new" sound of "WMA" was ridiculous! So good it hurt! Ending the first Encore with three GREAT sing a long songs which is exactly what happened. Now during "Betterman", the crowd got to sing the normal portion BUT Ed teased us a bit with the "Oooo oooo oooooh" part….you know what I am talking about. Right when he is about to sing that part and the crowd is too, he gives a pump fake and throughs the crowd off! And he did it like 3-4 times. The crowd was roaring! It was so loud! It was so awesome!

Encore two was great, with Ed talking about the war, etc before "No More". "Footsteps" was a great surprise too, sounded beautiful! Ed got a towel from someone from the crowd that had written "Footsteps" on it and he drapped it over the monitor in front of him. "Alive" and "Indifference" were both excellent!

Well, there is my take on a FANTASTIC show. I didn't go to the shows in FL but last night showed the band that the South has LOVE for Pearl Jam. So you people up North, get ready, because I am sure they are gonna blow the doors off the places up there! You guys are gonna love it! I hope you get some of the best shows you have ever seen by them……I know I did!!!!

THANK YOU PEARL JAM!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to my pics I took. I hope the link works. Also, some of the photos are blurry. Hey, what can I say, I didn't have the steadiest hand while rocking out!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=77050204534_532168238208&collid=382189272108.705668238208.1213712510771&page=1&sort_order=0&navfolderid=0&folderid=0&ownerid=0
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    I was in section 102 towards the back. It's not a huge arena, so still had a great view. Can't Keep is a great opener, although I heard it at Nissan Pavilion back in '03. Loved Red Mosquito and the other No Code tracks. I Got Shit is always one of my favorites. The crowd energy was much better than I expected, although the second level wasn't completely full. A lot of folks on the floor were going nuts during DTE. Some in the crowd weren't too receptive of Ed's political commentary which was to be expected in a red state. A dude in front of me was booing rather lustily when Ed mentioned gas prices rising under the Bush administration. Awesome version of Porch...they must've gone on for 9 or 10 minutes while Ed was passing around the bottle.

Epic.
  • Options
    GavrocksGavrocks Posts: 33
    Great show - though still not as good as Bonnaroo. Close though. Have already ordered both CDs!

Ed: "So, we stayed at the Kings of Leon house up in Nashville on Sunday, and you know, those boys are very competitive. So we played some horseshoe & stuff. Then we had another game: called 'who can stay up the longest & get the biggest hangover'. Guess who won? Me!" (big smile & pointing @ himself!).

Ed seemed in great spirits - it was fun just watching him sitting & rocking out during some of the solos & stuff.

Was greatful to see Sad, Glorified G & Footsteps. Great crowd - was able to hear us all singing most songs, even the rarer stuff.

Bit annoyed that you have to line-up to buy a wristband for a poster before the show (hence me missing the Kings set), then line-up again afet the show to get the poster. It is a good idea (since my tube got taken) as we don't have to hold onto the postes, but I feel it could've been a little more efficient.

Go South Carolina! Was great to see some 'cocks' jokes & a bit of Republican-bashing - I'm always interested to see how that stuff goes down over here!
    Ten Club Member: 342***

10/11/06 - Brisbane, QLD, Australia
    14/6/08 - Manchester, TN, USA
    16/6/08 - Columbia, SC, USA
    20/11/09 - Melbourne, VIC, Australia

"Such a perfect Island, tucked away in the sea.
    The real land of the free, do you hear me?"
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    Hi all.

I love your wife! Also this story will make my husband, who's getting dragged to multiple shows this year, feel better!
  • Options
    am in awe...that show ranks in the top of my PJ concert experiences!!!! By the way--where I was (Sec. 118 row 23), the crowd was rockin' and the sound was great. I was bummed that I let my tenclub membership lapse--yeah--fucking retard!!!----but I was still sooooooo thrilled to be there with you all! Renewed that shit today!!!!!!!!!!!(I guess I won't have my same # though ;( PEACE AND PEARL JAM!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The answers are fatal..."

"My lips are shakin'....

"And Love,...Wish the world would go again with Love
    One can't seem to have enough."

www.myspace.com/jenlovespearljam
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    First, I want to pass out kudos to the pre-party organizers/planners....fantastic job all around...great location! More thanks to the 10 Club and their lottey....1st row used to be only a dream!!! To the band, what more could be said after such an effort....they gave all that they had & more!!! We are the greatest fans, and we love this band!!

The Dirty South!!!! Redeemed
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    simcole wrote:
    I loved the show. I brought a 1st timer with me and he loved it. I was 16th row on the floor, in the center. Awesome seats, kickass setlist, and loved the energy. Mike was smiling and interacting way more than I've ever seen him do before. Eddie was funny and energetic as well. I love listening to his stories live.

On another note if anyone has any good pictures of the concert please pm me or send me a link. NONE of mine turned out and I'd really like some to keep the memory and share with my friend. Thanks.
    I have some great pics....Row 21 center AND Sec 105 Row 6....Killer! In the car on the way to VABeach now....Anyone interested, PM ...I should have then maybe Sun as we are camping til Sat at the beach....
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    My fourth show (Atlanta 2000 and 2003, New Orleans 2003) and my wife's first. Definitely matches the 2000 Atlanta show as the best I have ever seen. Just a pure visceral gut punch of a show, even with all of the guitar problems both bands were experiencing. Ed sounded very strong last night, which surprised me b/c I felt he really struggled on the 2006 US legs. My only true gripe were our tickets, which were on row 1 in Section 113 to the side with over nine years in the club.

Can't Keep
    -Had yet to hear this one open in person. Sounded great and highly unexpected. When Ed grabbed the guitar, I was expecting Long Road.

Why Go
    -great, rocking version and set the tone for the rest of the night.

All Night
    -love this song and was praying that it would be played. Sounded great live and it's a damn shame it didn't make No Code.

Hail Hail
    -my favorite song and they just slammed into it.

Sad
    -good, solid version here. Thought it would have a little more punch.

Severed Hand
    -not really a fan of this song, but the intro sounded great.

Red Mosquito
    -Big surprise and it sounded great. No Boom solos, which was a plus.

I Am Mine
    -some flubbed lyrics, but a ROCKING version of this, especially in the bridge.

Even Flow
    -Good, but I am kinda tired of the extended middle. Time to trim this one down. Made the crowd go apeshit though.

Off He Goes
    -Nice surprise and was received very well by the crowd. Guitar problems for Ed here, which led to him getting a little angry.

Small Town
    -good version with great crowd participation.

Present Tense
    -nothing more to say here. Great song and great performance.

Whipping
    -good rocking version.

I Got Shit
    -very solid version of this.

Army Reserve
    -never been a big fan of this song, but it sounded great live. My main problem has been the outro, like they couldn't figure out how to end the song. Last night sounded like they knew how to end it. Great singing by Ed on this.

Glorified G
    -sharp and tight version.

Do The Evolution
    -good way to close out the main set.

Encore 1:
    Inside Job
    -love this song and a great performance.

Given To Fly
    -good version and Ed has some timing problems with Matt, but no harm, no foul.

Education
    -great to hear and a surprise. Very good version.

W.M.A.
    -love the intro and it really rocked. Why has it taken so long????

Better Man
    -good version with a little heavier jam.

Save You
    -nice. Unexpected and rocking. Good lead into.....

Porch
    -very good with a good jam.

Encore 2:

No More
    -low point of the show for me. I just don't care for this song at all. Just a clunker IMO.

Footsteps
    -another curveball and it was great.

Alive
    -sharp and rocking.

Encore 3:

Indifference
    -my wife and I actually had to leave here to make the drive back to pick up our son. Sounded great on the way out.

Overall, just an intense, rocking show. I can overlook the tickets bit b/c it was such a great show.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    Wow!!! The show was as amazingly awesome as that review in the SC paper is crappy. Don't bother reading it, it was obviously written by someone who didn't get it... or just didn't have the balls to write in a conservative paper what was said at the show.
    As everyone else has said, the show, the setlist, the band, hell even the lights and backdrop were so kick ass!! My only wish is that like some others said, that the WHOLE crowd would have stood for the whole show. I'm thinking the seats in the colonial center were too comfy. I tried to rip mine out of the concrete and throw it at the redneck heckling Eddie during his pre-No More speech, but alas I couldn't Hulk up enough and decided to concede that a drunken hick with marbles so shriveled that he has to heckle a rock icon from the back of section 223 has and/or will have suffered enough in his life.
    It was my wife's first PJ show ever, driving home I went on and on about how it was the BEST PJ show I have ever seen, and we discussed selling all our stuff and following them around on tour. I called in sick today but she didn't, one more show like that should have her sold on a neverending Pearl Jam summer.
    My last comment will be about WMA. I love this song, so much. It is one of my favorites for so many reasons. Mostly because it is so different from all their other songs. I had never heard it live and I was beginning to think the band and everybody else didn't like the song. Then Ed was on about some guy in the Ten Club seats requesting something. I was thinking Yellow Ledbetter like a lot of people request. But after a moment of confused setup on Stone's guitar, WMA started. It was awesome, just awesome. I love this band more now than I ever have. Thanks guys for an awesome show
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    The show was as amazingly awesome as that review in the SC paper is crappy.
    Don't bother reading the State at all as it's not a good newspaper. There's a reason a lot of us Columbia area locals call it 'The Snake'.
  • Options
    I almost forgot. Did anybody see the whole situation with the guy that got escorted out during Indifference? Curiosity is killing the cat here, but I want to know what he did to get thrown out? I only saw where two security guards were pulling him to the aisle and then forcing him to exit the arena.
  • Options
    Don't bother reading the State at all as it's not a good newspaper. There's a reason a lot of us Columbia area locals call it 'The Snake'.
    Since being exiled to Columbia, I've noticed that.
    PS. I love your signature/tagline :)
  • Options
    simcolesimcole Posts: 7
    If you're talking about the guy on the upper section, he tried to jump the rail and get down to the pit area (essentially back stage) and got caught. Stage left, 1st upper deck.
  • Options
    themayorthemayor Posts: 16
    Wow, I am still buzzing from the show.

I had seen PJ just once before about 10 years ago (despite them being my fav). It was probably the most disappointing shows I had ever seen. The band was just dead flat, no energy, bad night.

So, I've been wanting to see them again and wash away that experience. I had been building up Monday's show in my head for years. I really didn't care too much what the setlist was going to be, I just wanted a high energy show.

Well, I got everything I wanted and more. The guys were high voltage all night and the crowd fed off of it. Ed was in just in incredible form, Mike was tearing it up and Jeff was virtually doing kartwheels, spinning, jumping, slamming.

The setlist was the greatest bonus I could ever have imagined. An amazing array of songs from every album. Pulling out some of my favorites...Can't Keep, Present Tense, I Got Shit, Off He Goes, W.M.A. and Footsteps.

I was impressed with the crowd. I was actually worried they would be lame, but that wasn't the case. There was no one around me sitting (Sec 104, Row 22).

Just an incredible experience. Everyone I went with had never seen PJ and they were just blown away.

Thanks to everyone there for being a part!
  • Options
    moegossardmoegossard Posts: 75
    Thank you Pearl Jam for playing with so much energy. We all had a wonderful time and you guys are definitely still the best live band on the face of the planet.
  • Options
    Since being exiled to Columbia, I've noticed that.
    PS. I love your signature/tagline :)
    Love the area, hate the newspaper and tv news sources.

Thanks :), although I guess it's time to change it now that it's going back to shitty basketball.....
  • Options
    simcole wrote:
    If you're talking about the guy on the upper section, he tried to jump the rail and get down to the pit area (essentially back stage) and got caught. Stage left, 1st upper deck.
    Yeah, that's who it was. That's crazy though. No wonder they kicked him out. I'm sure they didn't want a potential tragedy like has happened at Shea Stadium and Turner Field....
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Now thats what I call a setlist! Holy Mother of GOD!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    What an amazing show....

Seriously... wow. An amazing set list on all accounts. Everyone was on fire.
    Ed had so much energy that it was kind of shocking. He has to do that so much (ie keep the crowd going and excited) and he does it flawlessly and somehow genuinely. Id have to say Columbia was the gem out of the three shows i attended. (hoping to go to msg but looking bleak :D )

Cool stage moments:

*Ed rips three of his strings off at the ending of a song and throws them into the crowd.

* Ed hails Mike on his knees during inside job (if i remember correctly)

* Mike was on fire even more so than usual. He could be spotted throughout the night singing along to the songs...

* Jeff got some major air (white boys can jump, btw)

Can't Keep- An amazing opener. I always really thought it worked so well with Riot Act and it even works better as a show opener. FN AMAZIN.

Why GO- As always, an amazing live song and with a crowd so energetic and LOUD it was ten times as good.

All Night - One of the best highlights for myself. An amazingly energetic song that transfers so well live that its almost a sin. WAS SO PUMPED!

Red Mosquito- Possibly the the greatest part of the show for myself. The ending of Red mosquito has always made me feel like i was in a different space..and hearing it live was as close to an outer body experience as ill ever get. THANK U SO MUCH FOR PLAYING THIS.

Off He Goes - First time out of ten shows that ive ever seen this one live. Amazing! Had no idea that ed did the intro .. always assumed it was stone. Luckily now ill be able to play it properly after a little eddie schooling.

Whipping FUCKIN A.

WMA- Wow , just wow wow wow. After hearing bonna's acoustic version i was so impressed and blessed to see the song played in its proper form. Such an amazing version of the song. The guys even did a jam at the end. POLICE MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!. (huge highlight)

Education- Freakin EH!! This kicked soooooooooooooooooooooooooo so so so sosososos SO much bootie. I even like it more so than before. Amazing live. absolutely incredible.

I could go on and on but ill just leave it at that.

Thank you pearl jam. Thank you for your energy, your love and all the beautiful people that your music has introduced to me.

But fuck you for being so good live and making me consider hitchhiking to get to the rest of the shows :D:D:D

What a great ending to a week long road trip. This is why i spend my vacation and two paychecks worth of pay to see these guys :)

May it never end ~
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    Damn good show- I was so glad that we added this show on to our trip. WMA two shows in a row- WOW!!!!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1