Options

**Vancouver Fanviews here**

Comments

• Options
    i'm new to the boards but i've been a fan since i saw them open for the red hot chili peppers in october of 1991. i can't believe that it's been that long, but it has. they seem to look the same, although stone's hair is graying!

anyway, the show was so great. i was with the opening band and knew that eddie v. was going to go on stage but his outfit was so outrageous and fun! i can't believe that he put so much time and energy into going up to sing one song with the opening band, it was really cool.

i saw them in 1991 in madison, wi and in 1992 at alpine valley in wisconsin (it makes the gorge look like a back yard) and although i moved to seattle in 1994 i haven't seen them do the arena rock thing as a headliner. it was so amazing. the crowd was great and i loved hearing yellow ledbetter and footsteps and lukin. i was really blown away by their energy and how long they played.

i have some personal photos posted on my website http://www.juliannesjournal.com/pearl_jam.htm

feel free to take a look.
    madison, wi october 16, 1991
    east troy, wi august 29, 1992- stage two set by eddie and chris cornell
    vancouver, bc september 2, 2005- backstage with the supersuckers
    george, wa july 23, 2006
  • Options
    i'm new to the boards but i've been a fan since i saw them open for the red hot chili peppers in october of 1991. i can't believe that it's been that long, but it has. they seem to look the same, although stone's hair is graying!

anyway, the show was so great. i was with the opening band and knew that eddie v. was going to go on stage but his outfit was so outrageous and fun! i can't believe that he put so much time and energy into going up to sing one song with the opening band, it was really cool.

i saw them in 1991 in madison, wi and in 1992 at alpine valley in wisconsin (it makes the gorge look like a back yard) and although i moved to seattle in 1994 i haven't seen them do the arena rock thing as a headliner. it was so amazing. the crowd was great and i loved hearing yellow ledbetter and footsteps and lukin. i was really blown away by their energy and how long they played.

i have some personal photos posted on my website http://www.juliannesjournal.com/pearl_jam.htm

awesome pics!... and I'm soo jealous! how did you manage a backstage pass?
    Me and the Mankind Duck sign ;) ---->http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/caitzzz/001_0A.jpg

**Vancouver 09/02/05**
  • Options
    Caitlin wrote:
    awesome pics!... and I'm soo jealous! how did you manage a backstage pass?

i'm friends with the supersuckers who are opening on the first part of the tour. they know that i'm a fan and offered to hook me up. i'm a huge supersuckers fan too and i never get to see them play because i hang out with the singer's kid when they play in seattle so that his wife can go to the shows, so it was great to see them play on the HUGE stage.
    madison, wi october 16, 1991
    east troy, wi august 29, 1992- stage two set by eddie and chris cornell
    vancouver, bc september 2, 2005- backstage with the supersuckers
    george, wa july 23, 2006
  • Options
    wow, thats awesome :)
    Me and the Mankind Duck sign ;) ---->http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/caitzzz/001_0A.jpg

**Vancouver 09/02/05**
  • Options
    paakspaaks Posts: 12
    so I know all you guys have prob seen PJ thousands of times.......but i was blown away by both the gorge and Van setlists......especially the gorge.....I mean even for the people who have seen them 50+ times how many times could you have possibly heard them play crown of thorns? what i treat i thought....or alone? c'mon! i thought that both sets were great and didnt feel generic at all.....the band had tons of energy too.......they just made me wish i had the money and resources to follow them across canada......anyways I got to hear nothingman!and blood!and porch!but there will still always be songs i need to hear them play..like smile!considering bee girl and footsteps were on the van set and RVM and crazy mary weren't....yah its decided..let no one else say that set was average or generic!!!!
    Also known as EquallyWorthless.

RIP LB #28 1987-2008

"We posses Art lest we Perish of the Truth."

05/30/03 10/22/03 09/01/05 09/02/05 07/22/06 07/23/06 11/07/06 11/08/06 11/10/06 11/11/06 11/13/06 11/14/06 11/16/06 11/18/06 11/19/06 11/21/06 11/22/06 11/25/06 06/24/08 06/25/08 06/27/08 06/28/08 06/30/08
  • Options
    immortality!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i got to this one late, leaving seattle to late and the border, and getting lost in canada, i missed the first three songs :'( but hearing footsteps and immortality live for the first time was amazing,
    and u!
    u u u u!
    ive got three more shows in a week, cant wait!
    and this time im getting to the venue way early,
    thanks to the people of canada for the directions!
    loudest crowd ever, vancouver rocks
  • Options
    All I really need to say is:

Release
    Go INTO Animal
    Footsteps
    U
    Bee Girl
    Porch

Now the only thing that would have made this show better is if they had played what they had written on the setlist for one of the later encores (Leaving Here and Indifference). Great crowd at this show as well - cant wait for the next show :cool:
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    stpmattb wrote:
    All I really need to say is:

Release
    Go INTO Animal
    Footsteps
    U
    Bee Girl
    Porch

Now the only thing that would have made this show better is if they had played what they had written on the setlist for one of the later encores (Leaving Here and Indifference). Great crowd at this show as well - cant wait for the next show :cool:
    I hope they save Leavin Here and Indifference for Kitchener - we already missed the Oceans opener. I would love to have heard Footsteps and U. I'm so psyched to be hearing so much of Lost Dogs though - PLAY DIRTY FRANK you pussies!!!!!
  • Options
    This was the LOUDEST crowd i've ever heard and i've been to many shows. This place was rocking hard!
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
    Fuckin' Awesome!!
    I'll elaborate when I get back home...hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did and that the rest of the country feels the level of energy that existed in GM Place.

Oh ya, I met a couple of ten clubbers here, one couple staying in the room across from mine, and they were all great people. There is just no comparison to Pearl Jam fans!
  • Options
    thought i'd wait a few days after the vancouver show before posting to see if the euphoria wore off....well, it hasn't

like others, this was my first show, although I've listend to PJ since Ten. I'm in my early 40s, with a "suit" job and a mortgage. i went expecting to sit for most of the show, except for the one or two standout songs, and maybe hum or softly murmur the parts of the lyrics i could remember from some of my favs and go home satisfied that i had finally seen and heard the band which supplied me with the soundtrack to most of the highs and lows of my adult life..

my wife and I got tickets in the upper deck in the nosebleed section. watched the last 20 minutes of the supersuckers and thought, "damn, they've got this railings in front of our seats. gonna block our view"...well, turned out that wasn't going to be an issue 'cause EVERYONE (including us) in the nosebleeds was standing, swaying, dancing and singing their lungs out for the whole show.

got goosebumps listening to the crowd roar out the opening verse to Betterman...and as for Alive, well, it was sheer, raw power from the crowd to the band and back again...when Ed turned to face the crowd, dropped his arms, and stood there mouth agape as he watched the entire garage pumping fists and singing in unison, you knew you'd got your money's worth...

can't comment on what PJ was like in '03 or at other shows, all i can say is that the PJ we saw in vancouver was a group that was at the top of its game. powerful. simple. mature. maybe the set list was too "generic" for those of you who've been to many of their shows. all I can say is that generic or not, the songs that PJ did do, they ripped into and, as far as i could tell, they left it all on the stage by the time they were done...i'm not the least bit suprised to hear they were sitting down for the first few numbers in calgary

a special thanks to the those who went to the show in vancouver...dunno if it was mostly Canadians, or if there was a big influx from Seattle, but i can't thank y'all enough for making our 1st PJ concert the best damned show we've ever been to, bar none...if that's typical of pearl jam fans, you're a pretty impressive lot

to those of you lucky fellow canadians (and welcome visitors) who have tix to the upcoming shows....well..if you get 50% of the show we had in vancouver, you'll have the time of your life...makes me want to fly to thunderbay.

these boys can't come back to vancouver soon enough....
  • Options
    CCF23CCF23 Posts: 11
    Holy shit. I kind of wish my car had flipped on the way home because I know I will never, ever see another show that good again. Alive, what can I say? I have never felt that much pure energy flowing through me. Ever; and i've been to a game 7 playoff game. When everyone was pumping their fists and screaming "yeah" you could have killed me right there and I would have died happy. The band seemed like thay didn't want to leave and Ed even said something along the lines of "you're making me want to do this again next Saturday." Another highlight for me was Porch. I loved the way Ed kind of switched up the beginning. I've never heard it done that way before, awesome. This was my first PJ concert and 2nd concert ever. I can't wait for them to come back. I think Vancouver left an amazing impression on the band and next time they're planning a tour Vancouver will be near the top of their list of places they want to go.

Cheers and thanks Vancouver for making the night so electric.
  • Options
    thought i'd wait a few days after the vancouver show before posting to see if the euphoria wore off....well, it hasn't

I'm so in the same boat....I'd gone to this show w/ my best friend and sistah, Eileen, who'd just recently got back from serving in Afghanistan and is now in Louisiana w/ her unit, and as you can imagine, being able to share this beautiful Pearl Jam experience with her is so precious.

But, even if things were more "normal", this show was so absolutely unbelievably intense and emotional and (no pun intended) ALIVE. I've thankfully been able to see Pearl Jam in concert I dunno how many times since 1991, and each show means something different for me...I guess the "caption" for this show for me would be the dedication Eddie made to Wolfgang -- "I'd like to raise a toast to a new life..."

I know people have already talked about the show in other threads; thanks so much for sharing your experiences! The elation hasn't rubbed off here, yet; I'm still walking around in a daze, not quite believing how awesome it was yet also lamenting that it's over - and of course looking forward to the new CD and future shows :o). And yeah, though the setlist might seem the same as shows in the past...I guess what's beautiful for me is that the performances of each song always differ from show to show...For me, "Release" in June 2003 was a sung as a gentle command to let go of heartbreak (especially as it was followed by "Hail Hail"; this time it was a gentle command to completely embrace a new life and smile at what's ahead...(and this was punctuated for me when "Save You" was followed by "Given to Fly") Maybe it's how the show progresses is what makes all the songs seem different, I dunno. But, either way, Pearl Jam never fails to just completely surprise me and push me into embracing even the familiar with a sense of wonderment....

The "unfamiliar" or complete surprises, though, blew me away. The Supersuckers being joined by "a living being at home behind the sun" during "Poor Girl". When w.m.a was added as a tag for "Daughter", I completely flipped cuz it's the first time I'd heard it live in so very long (plus, I had my w.m.a. shirt on, so that made things even better!!!) Then, "atomic dog" at the end of "Blood"???!!!! Bowwowwowyippeeyippeeyay. The crowd's LOUD singing the end of LBC and EvenFlow....Amazing....Our horrific "feedback" when they'd asked us to try whistling the end of "Black" (we all ended up just singing the dododododododo part because we're not too good at whistling) And our welcoming Wolfgang in to the world at the end of "Daughter"....Mike and Jeff dancing sort of an Irish jig at the end of "Baba O'Riley"....Mike playing the guitar at his back, and just sort of circling around and doing tons of jumps all throughout...Eddie playing the harmonica at the beginning of FOOTSTEPS - gah!!!! Everyone was on FIRE!!! Which, I think, is why the crowd got even louder as the night went on.....

Plus, gosh....My sistah Eileen was fortunate to have gotten a copy of the setlist after the show, and what's significant for me, too, was to see what was added and what was not played. "I Got Shit" was on the main list (at the end of "Immortality" w/ "Nothingman" written in parenths, and for the first encore, "Hide Your Love" was written before "Small Town" w/ "Footsteps" written in parenths...For the third part, they'd wrtten down, "Leaving Here" and "Indifference" before "Baba O'Riley (teenage wasteland)". But, instead, we got "I Believe in Miracles", "Baba O'Riley", and then "Yellow Ledbetter". I don't know why it was changed at the very end, but I'm really happy that it turned out the way it did! The final encore was so energized and left me feeling that I could take on the world, if need be...that this *is* "a new life, a new beginning"

But, hey, this *is* Pearl Jam...that's just what they bring to all of us :o)

Okay...obviously, I have not yet recovered from the show...But, just wanted to say "hi" to all of you and thanks, tons, again for sharing all your experiences!

take good care & hope to see you at other shows,
    Em

p.s. THANK YOU very much Pearl Jam and Ten Club for *EVERYTHING*!
    make yourself a pact, not to shut doors on the past
    just for today,... I am free

I will not lose my faith
    It's an inside job today
  • Options

I loved your pics! Sounds like you had an awesome night that was quite unforgettable. Good for you! I'm still waiting for the day that I can meet the band and tell them thanks! :)
    "If you guys wanna stick around we're willing to make this the longest Pearl Jam show that ever has been played" -EV, State College, PA, 5/3/03
    --
    5/3/03-State College
    7/12/03-Hershey
    10/1/04-Reading
    10/2/04-Toledo
    9/1/05- The Gorge
    7/22/06 & 7/23/06 THE GORGE!
    Tonight... WE ROCK THE GORGE!
  • Options
    emignacio wrote:
    The final encore was so energized and left me feeling that I could take on the world, if need be...that this *is* "a new life, a new beginning"

But, hey, this *is* Pearl Jam...that's just what they bring to all of us :o)

*!

Ok, I totally know what you mean here! I feel the same way after each PJ show. They inspired me to do what I never thought I would ever do... move to the one place I always wanted to go, Seattle! I'm finally here! I, for some reason, did not get the same feeling I always do after The Gorge show! Don't get me wrong, it was awesome. I felt a little guilty actually. It's hard to describe. I think maybe it has to do with always seeing them on the east coast and feeling like my dream of moving out weat to seattle where it all started was so unreachable, now that I'm here... I guess everything's in reach now and my dream came true. I can't believe I didn't get in that "dreamy state" after The Gorge like I normally do. I guess it has something to do with my dream being here! I wouldn't change anything for the world and I am forever thankful to Pearl Jam for letting me know that I have the power to do anything I feel! :) I think I'm going to shed a tear...

Anyway... ROCK ON TONIGHT!
    "If you guys wanna stick around we're willing to make this the longest Pearl Jam show that ever has been played" -EV, State College, PA, 5/3/03
    --
    5/3/03-State College
    7/12/03-Hershey
    10/1/04-Reading
    10/2/04-Toledo
    9/1/05- The Gorge
    7/22/06 & 7/23/06 THE GORGE!
    Tonight... WE ROCK THE GORGE!
  • Options
    I'm with you guys on the euphoria thing- my wife said today we should sell the house and just follow them around. She never says anything like that- all of a sudden she wants to go to concerts all the time. I told her I didn't think they (not just PJ, any concerts) were all like that one. But we will be attending a lot more now looking for some of THAT magic again.

I have listened to Alive and Betterman on the bootleg about 10 times each now, also Even Flow. I would kill for a video.

That whistling feedback thing was hilarious! Some people were whistling though, you can hear it on the bootleg. My mouth was so dry though there was no way so I just sang.
    C'est temps! Au revoir!
  • Options
    I totally loved it!!! I thought the whole night was perfect minus a couple things. I wanted to hear from others that went and get their thoughts i am also interested in knowing if it is going to be like this for the rest of the Tour or if it's just Vancouver.

Super Anal Security - I was on the floor and right by an aisle and security all night kept pushing me and my friends back into our seats even if we were just in the aisle. Even during the last song they kepty walking up and down the aisle telling us to keep it clear and to be in our seats. Correct if i am wrong but I was at a PEARL JAM concert....not the symphony.

No Beer - Doors opened at 630 and the show started at 730 with Pearl Jam getting on stage at 9 o'clock. So what time do you think they stopped serving beer??? Anyone....Anyone?? 9 O'CLOCK!!! What's with that, I have never been to a concert where they have shut down beer sales just as the opening band takes the stage.

$11.40 for 3 Waters - Since you could not buy beer after 9 my buddy decided to buy water. Bottled water was sold...but NOT allowed into the concert even though it was PLASTIC bottles. So he had to buy water in PLASTIC cups and for 3 water they charged him $11.40...

First off, I'm going to say that this concert was absolutely amazing. I've never been to a big concert before [came from Kamloops just to see it] and I thought this concert was absolutely amazing. I had not one complaint aside from having a headache the entire time, but even that didn't prevent me from enjoying it.

Also, I'd also like to also point out the strong reaction of the crowd during Wishlist on the line about having a country without fighting a war. That was one of the loudest parts of the entire contest directly after that line - couldn't help but have a smile on my face during the time. Sure it's making the concert politcal, but it wasn't an added part of the song after the war, it was there in the original version; just has more meaning in the modern days and it's a memory that'll stick.

On the no beer thing, guess what? Beer + vehicle = good chance of dying. It's not their responsibility to provide you with alcohol so you can get intoxicated and drive home, you didn't even need to be intoxicated for that concert for it to be great. I'll definetly agree it loosens things up a bit and I'll also agree that the prices were absolutely ridiculous [cost me like $4 for a cup of water and they refused to give me a cup otherwiseso I could get it from the fountain] but on the same note, there's no reason for them to feed people beer late enough that it can't at least somewhat wear off.

As far as the crap about them being hardass security, I'm glad they were cracking down on people standing in the isle. I paid money for good tickets so I could enjoy the concert without someone standing in front of me; someone like yourself was standing in the way for an entire song even after a security guard came and asked them to move [they had a friend also doing the same thing to others next to him] blocking other people. Sorry pal, if you want a great view, get a better ticket; not fair that others should have to suffer because you decide you want to stand out on the aisle without consideration for others. Reality check.
  • Options
    I'm sitting here listening to the Gorge show and all i can think is the only song I would have really killed for them to play was "State of Love and Trust."
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Alright, time for my Vancouver fanview….

This show was bad-fucking-ass!!! I was totally blown away with how different it was (even with some of the same songs as the Gorge)….it had an entirely different feel. That could be because we were indoors this time as appose to outside…..the crowd was amazing!!! The 2 guys me and my friend were by in the 8th row on the aisle were cool as hell! We were rocking out with them the whole time! And, if I am not mistaken, I had seats right in front of AmentsChick and Ontheflipside!!! Yay….see, I do exist! Anyhow, thank you Pearl Jam for 2 nights in a row of pure concert adrenalin! I was so incredibly sweaty when I walked out of GM Place stadium...Thanks 10c for awesome seats!
  • Options
    I just got back to California yesterday from my weekend in Vancouver. The show was absolutley amazing. I've seen the band at least a dozen times now but the energy on Friday night was unmatched.

I had unbelievable seats through the fan club (thanks again Ten Club!!) and we were 3rd row center stage. For anyone else up front I was the really tall guy in the "Iraq is Arabic For Vietnam" shirt. I also ended up getting a tamborine thrown to me by Eddie. That capped off an amazing night. :)

The setlist was great. I couldn't remember the last time I heard them play "Release" or "Footsteps". Those 2 songs alone made it worth the trip up. And hearing my personal favorites like 1/2 Empty, Save You, Baba O'Reily, etc...only made it that much better.

Long story short, great show, great fans, great band.
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB
  • Options

Wow nice pics! I was wondering who that shirtless kid was at the show. Who's he belong to? How'd you get back stage?! nice!!

Rose
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    pr4mojo1 wrote:
    I just got back to California yesterday from my weekend in Vancouver. The show was absolutley amazing. I've seen the band at least a dozen times now but the energy on Friday night was unmatched.

I had unbelievable seats through the fan club (thanks again Ten Club!!) and we were 3rd row center stage. For anyone else up front I was the really tall guy in the "Iraq is Arabic For Vietnam" shirt. I also ended up getting a tamborine thrown to me by Eddie. That capped off an amazing night. :)

The setlist was great. I couldn't remember the last time I heard them play "Release" or "Footsteps". Those 2 songs alone made it worth the trip up. And hearing my personal favorites like 1/2 Empty, Save You, Baba O'Reily, etc...only made it that much better.

Long story short, great show, great fans, great band.
    I saw you get the tambourine! I was just a few rows behind you...nice going! I was close to a few drum sticks...but not close enough. The tambourine is an awesome souvenir!!
  • Options

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Olivia is absolutely ADORABLE!!!!!!! :D
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Does anyone know what the refund policy is for Pearl Jam shows?
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the refund policy is for Pearl Jam shows?
    Nope, I've never needed to know it. Which show are you looking for a rufund to? Is this a show you have already attended or one that is coming up? Also, are these 10c tickets or tickets you bought from Ticketmaster? What's the problem?
  • Options
    the Vancouver show was AWESOME! billtospill, I was backstage, too. I almost lost it when Ed walked right by me...several times. that man is beautiful. and I really wanted to try that kid's scooter! anyhow, the concert was amazing...the second time I've seen PJ (first time was Benaroya - couldn't ask for two better concerts!), even though I've been a fan since Ten. the band sounded amazing. Ed's voice was amazing...I swear, when he sings I feel it in my toes! thank you, Pearl Jam, for a terrific evening!
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I saw you get the tambourine! I was just a few rows behind you...nice going! I was close to a few drum sticks...but not close enough. The tambourine is an awesome souvenir!!

Sorry for being stuck behind me. :)
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB
  • Options
    This was my first ever show, I went with the guy who introduced me to Pearl Jam, his sister and one of my closest friends who I introduced to Pearl Jam (a week later they were his favourite band).

I was going in expecting to have a good time, I didn't expect too much seeing as I had a balcony seat but wow, the whole show was amazing. It blew me away, it went above and beyond any expectations that I had. When it ended, I was beyond satisfied but I wished it would had never ended. My favourite moment has to be during Alive when the lights came on and all you see is thousands of fists in the air and Eddie standing there in awe.

Before the encores the band was off the stage for a few minutes and the intensity never left the building, nobody stopped cheering. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

I feel bad for the suckers who left, even I knew not to leave until the lights came back on!!

I can't even begin to fathom how great it would have been to be on the floor. The one song that I really wish they had played is Rearview Mirror, it's the song that really got me hooked on Pearl Jam and made me want to hear more of their stuff.

Andy rates it 11/10. :( I wish I could go see the rest of the tour.
  • Options
    pr4mojo1 wrote:
    Sorry for being stuck behind me. :)
    No problem, man. I was behind you and off to your left (in between Jeff and Mike)...so worries about anythiing...plus I am not a short person...so I never have trouble seing the show. I was really happy for you when you caught the tamporine. :D
  • Options
    andyGILL wrote:
    Before the encores the band was off the stage for a few minutes and the intensity never left the building, nobody stopped cheering. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

There were some times I was thinking "okay, it can't stay this loud much longer" and then all the sudden it got even louder. It was insane.