Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,930
    I'm going to a game of the World Championships in Czechia this year, which will be fun I'm sure, but nothing like a proper Olympic game with NHLers.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,477
    I'm going to a game of the World Championships in Czechia this year, which will be fun I'm sure, but nothing like a proper Olympic game with NHLers.
    Do some of the guys who missed the playoffs still play in that?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Do some of the guys who missed the playoffs still play in that?
    Typically, yes.  Which is kind of fun, in that you never know who'll be there.  
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I was getting a little bored with International hockey, but it’s been long enough. That 4-Nations thing seems rather boring, but the Oldlympdix should be worth watching. 
    See if Canada can three-peat with the best-on-best at the Oldlympdix. That win at Sochi was a yawner… there was no doubt. Vancouver 2010 was pretty entertaining… I seem to remember an OT winner…

The gap is closing, someday I hope Canada is like the Brazil or Germany of Football. Always in the top 5, but there are lots of countries who can complete. Switzerland and Germany have come a long way, and the US NDT program has helped elevate the talented players who come from the US.

Hell look at the Nucks roster… it’s full of US All-Stars. Hughes, Demko, Miller, Boeser. I think they only have two Canadians on the team when at full strength (Soucy, Meyers) and both are defencemen. Extra skaters like the 7th and 8th D are Canadian, as well as the 13th forward. To summarize:

US - 9 (5F , 2D , 2G)
    Sweden - 4 (4F)
    Russia - 2 (1F, 1D)
    Canada - 2 (2D)
    Czechia - 1 (1D)
    Switzerland - 1 (1F)
    Latvia - 1 (1F)

On top of that, their best prospects are 3 Swedes, a Russian, a Finn, and a Canadian. They traded a good prospect for Lindholm who was American. 

I think it is awesome the sport has grown. At some point there will be a superstar from outside Canada who could join Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid at the top of the all-time greats list.  After that top five there are some guys like Jagr to consider.  The Hughes brothers are all great. Quinn is putting up some numbers in the Orr/Coffey rarified air. Maybe it’s him!  
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    I was getting a little bored with International hockey, but it’s been long enough. That 4-Nations thing seems rather boring, but the Oldlympdix should be worth watching. 
    See if Canada can three-peat with the best-on-best at the Oldlympdix. That win at Sochi was a yawner… there was no doubt. Vancouver 2010 was pretty entertaining… I seem to remember an OT winner…

The gap is closing, someday I hope Canada is like the Brazil or Germany of Football. Always in the top 5, but there are lots of countries who can complete. Switzerland and Germany have come a long way, and the US NDT program has helped elevate the talented players who come from the US.

Hell look at the Nucks roster… it’s full of US All-Stars. Hughes, Demko, Miller, Boeser. I think they only have two Canadians on the team when at full strength (Soucy, Meyers) and both are defencemen. Extra skaters like the 7th and 8th D are Canadian, as well as the 13th forward. To summarize:

US - 9 (5F , 2D , 2G)
    Sweden - 4 (4F)
    Russia - 2 (1F, 1D)
    Canada - 2 (2D)
    Czechia - 1 (1D)
    Switzerland - 1 (1F)
    Latvia - 1 (1F)

On top of that, their best prospects are 3 Swedes, a Russian, a Finn, and a Canadian. They traded a good prospect for Lindholm who was American. 

I think it is awesome the sport has grown. At some point there will be a superstar from outside Canada who could join Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid at the top of the all-time greats list.  After that top five there are some guys like Jagr to consider.  The Hughes brothers are all great. Quinn is putting up some numbers in the Orr/Coffey rarified air. Maybe it’s him!  
    As much as I hate him, it's hard not to consider Ovechkin as an all-time great.  If you're talking D, then Lindstrom has to be there.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

US - 9 (5F , 2D , 2G)
    Sweden - 4 (4F)
    Russia - 2 (1F, 1D)
    Canada - 2 (2D)
    Czechia - 1 (1D)
    Switzerland - 1 (1F)
    Latvia - 1 (1F)

As much as I hate him, it's hard not to consider Ovechkin as an all-time great.  If you're talking D, then Lindstrom has to be there.  
    Fair, but not top 5. I couldn’t even squeeze Messier in there. McDavid is just too awesome. 
  • Options
    edited February 2
    mrussel1 said:

US - 9 (5F , 2D , 2G)
    Sweden - 4 (4F)
    Russia - 2 (1F, 1D)
    Canada - 2 (2D)
    Czechia - 1 (1D)
    Switzerland - 1 (1F)
    Latvia - 1 (1F)

Fair, but not top 5. I couldn’t even squeeze Messier in there. McDavid is just too awesome. 
    Longevity is important.  If he retired tomorrow,  I don't think you could make McDavid top 5. So let's see how it all plays out. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

US - 9 (5F , 2D , 2G)
    Sweden - 4 (4F)
    Russia - 2 (1F, 1D)
    Canada - 2 (2D)
    Czechia - 1 (1D)
    Switzerland - 1 (1F)
    Latvia - 1 (1F)

Longevity is important.  If he retired tomorrow,  I don't think you could make McDavid top 5. So let's see how it all plays out. 
    If you have ever seen the man play live, you know he’s top 5. He is a cheat code. He is in his ninth year, 5 Art Ross and 4 Hart trophy’s. 
    Not his fault Oiler mgmt has been so gawd awful at supplying him with a capable team, particularly goaltending. 

I’ve never seen anything like him. 
  • Options
    edited February 2
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

US - 9 (5F , 2D , 2G)
    Sweden - 4 (4F)
    Russia - 2 (1F, 1D)
    Canada - 2 (2D)
    Czechia - 1 (1D)
    Switzerland - 1 (1F)
    Latvia - 1 (1F)

If you have ever seen the man play live, you know he’s top 5. He is a cheat code. He is in his ninth year, 5 Art Ross and 4 Hart trophy’s. 
    Not his fault Oiler mgmt has been so gawd awful at supplying him with a capable team, particularly goaltending. 

I agree he's a top five talent.  I have seen him play live and it's amazing.  But I still think you have to play the game and put up the numbers, and possibly win a Cup to be considered in the top five.  I'm not disparaging him, I'm just saying it's incomplete at this point.

Edit - I didn't realize it's already nine years.  But just as an example, you could easily argue that Mario was better than Wayne.  But the missed years are important.  It's not his fault he had a disease and back surgery.  I use a similar argument with Jordan vs Lebron.  In my mind, LBJ is the GOAT. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    edited February 3
    I see what you're both saying.  McDavid is filthy.  His sudden speed and dancing around people is what amazes me.  At the same time, right or wrong, general consensus probably wouldn't add him to the top echelon unless he does more, or does what he does for longer.  I think it's bullshit sometimes how we judge the caliber of players in team sports by championships, but I feel like unless McDavid does that at least once in his lifetime there will be an argument if he belongs with the others.  If he wins every Ross and Hart for a years upon years, then of course.

International hockey-wise: I think it's great to see the sport grow.  Even though I know the lower levels are not rich with hockey talent, it's cool to know teams like Spain are getting better and promoting up the ranks.  The US is definitely going to be good at the Olympics, hopefully stellar. I remember watching that 2010 gold medal game in Pittsburgh with my family at a bar, place was rocking and then when Crosby scored...I mean it sucked, but it was still kinda okay since it was Sid.  But goddamn, closest I've been to seeing the US win gold in my lifetime.  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    I hate that McLellan had to be shitcanned, but he had to be fired.  Have to make a change.  Need the team to wake up as they are against the stupid cap and cannot make big changes.  Have the guys to be back in it, just need to pull theirs heads out of their asses

What a wild season from the great start

Oh, and the skills comps ok TV is boring.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    I hate that McLellan had to be shitcanned, but he had to be fired.  Have to make a change.  Need the team to wake up as they are against the stupid cap and cannot make big changes.  Have the guys to be back in it, just need to pull theirs heads out of their asses

you’re the only guy who cares about the LA “kings”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

US - 9 (5F , 2D , 2G)
    Sweden - 4 (4F)
    Russia - 2 (1F, 1D)
    Canada - 2 (2D)
    Czechia - 1 (1D)
    Switzerland - 1 (1F)
    Latvia - 1 (1F)

I agree he's a top five talent.  I have seen him play live and it's amazing.  But I still think you have to play the game and put up the numbers, and possibly win a Cup to be considered in the top five.  I'm not disparaging him, I'm just saying it's incomplete at this point.

Edit - I didn't realize it's already nine years.  But just as an example, you could easily argue that Mario was better than Wayne.  But the missed years are important.  It's not his fault he had a disease and back surgery.  I use a similar argument with Jordan vs Lebron.  In my mind, LBJ is the GOAT. 
    I actually do think Lemieux was more talented than Gretzky.  Without lymphoma and back problems, Mario breaks all the records. Guy was ridiculous. 
  • Options

Rob Blake should have fired himself for the PLD trade. Kings got fleeced and I called it when it happened. Dubois is a bum and hurt the chemistry of the team. McLellan got more out of them than I thought he would. 

Look at the Jets after he and Wheeler are out of there. Add those Kings and they are a damn good team. If you have a cancer in the room, the tumour grows. 
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

I care about them, Nucks may play them in the first round! 😂
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Wobbie said:

No, there are other fans around....but even if I were the only person, who cares about that?

1Thought....yes, PLD trade looking awful.  Hoping he can find it again and pull out.  The team got caught looking in the mirror when the scoring was easy.....now they need to look in the mirror when their 1-3-1 is getting shredded,  and get back to playing a tough all around game, like they can.  This can be a really good team.  Getting Arrvy back soon would be a nice jolt.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Mmmmm, when was the last time Couver ranked 1 and Kings 8?  Was that 2012, when Kings raised their first cup?  What a fun season!  😁
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Mmmmm, when was the last time Couver ranked 1 and Kings 8?  Was that 2012, when Kings raised their first cup?  What a fun season!  😁
    That’s why I care. It’s an old rivalry and they are a good team.  Nucks have to hold off the Oilers and Knights to win the division first. For the conference there are those two and Colorado. 

West is wild in 2024
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

That’s why I care. It’s an old rivalry and they are a good team.  Nucks have to hold off the Oilers and Knights to win the division first. For the conference there are those two and Colorado. 

West is wild in 2024
    Yeah, there was a period there where it was a good rivalry.  Those damn Sedins ruined many a matchup

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited February 3
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

US - 9 (5F , 2D , 2G)
    Sweden - 4 (4F)
    Russia - 2 (1F, 1D)
    Canada - 2 (2D)
    Czechia - 1 (1D)
    Switzerland - 1 (1F)
    Latvia - 1 (1F)

I actually do think Lemieux was more talented than Gretzky.  Without lymphoma and back problems, Mario breaks all the records. Guy was ridiculous. 

Gretzky was slowed and stopped by back problems too from the middle of 1990- on.  His production noticeably dipped 
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Lemieux couldn’t tie his own skates. 
  • Options
    I've watched hockey since 1986 and Lemieux is the greatest player I've ever seen.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    Pens fans must be happy that their 17 game win streak still stands.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Pens fans can eat a bag of poop 
    :lol:  
  • Options
    Pens fans can eat a bag of poop 
    :lol:  
    Instead of that, can we simply settle with using this blog? PenguinPoop Blog
    (such an awful name for a blog btw)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SS657083SS657083 Posts: 123

Hey, your team pulled off a nice win against Vancouver tonight! It's not so bad. Like my Tampa Bay Lightning losing 9-2 at home against the Panthers. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    That Auston Matthews guy is pretty good.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    There's an Athletic article about the Johnsonville Jets, who inspired Slap Shot. The Hanson brothers were a real thing and were played by themselves in the movie (2 of them at least). Unreal.

• Options
    Wear my Chiefs jersey to games frequently.   One of best movies ever!