The PLAY MINNESOTA Thread!

Comments

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Am I the only one who wonders how Cheapo is still in business? I love the place, but is it getting some outside help from a private donor?
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    edited November 2013
    as usual, i'm disappointed by the number of things being flipped on here for the rsd stuff and for ridiculous prices.

can't stop it from happening, obviously, but it still disgusts me.
    Post edited by AndySlash on
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Am I the only one who wonders how Cheapo is still in business?

for the amount i shop there i probably pay someones salary alone. :lol:
    What do you do for a living?!?!?!
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Tattooed bump!
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    Tattooed bump!

How does it feel to get a shout out? :D
    donnaruhl wrote:
    Tattooed bump!

are you new to the thread? If so, welcome! :-)
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • donnaruhl wrote:
    Tattooed bump!

Pretty good, I suppose.

?
  • Sopranos!!!!

Diddy and I are finally finishing this amazing, epic show.

I've watched it when it first aired, Diddy is the one catching up and I love it!

Baked zitti and a bottle of red wine to finish it off right!
    Never watched the sopranos. I don't know how some people find all the time to watch 500 different shows. :lol:

I'll be volunteering at the Holidazzle parade tonight. I'm sure many of the spectators would come to see PJ play a show in Minnesota. :)
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Are any of you going to be in Seattle?
    I will not be in Seattle. :(

If PJ wants to meet us in Minnesota, I'd be down! :D
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Wouldn't that be nice? Well, my girl friends and I are flying in on Thursday morning. If any fellow Minnesotans want to meet up get ahold of me! :D Saturday is my birthday too! I was really hoping for that second show!
    Have a happy birthday.

Please bring a sign, wear a shirt or do something to get some "Play Minnesota" vibes to the band.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Last trip to the Dome forever!

I still remember my dad bringing me when I was 8 to see the Vikings play the Kansas City Chiefs.

Over the years, my dad and I rarely missed going to at least one home game. Usually we had suite tickets thanks to his work perks, but sitting in the upperdeck, sipping expensive beer, and watching the game was fun.

It was nice to go there one last time with my dad and lady (diddy had never seen a Vikes game live before).

As shitty as it is, I'll miss the Dome.

bump.
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    Last trip to the Dome forever!

I still remember my dad bringing me when I was 8 to see the Vikings play the Kansas City Chiefs.

Over the years, my dad and I rarely missed going to at least one home game. Usually we had suite tickets thanks to his work perks, but sitting in the upperdeck, sipping expensive beer, and watching the game was fun.

It was nice to go there one last time with my dad and lady (diddy had never seen a Vikes game live before).

As shitty as it is, I'll miss the Dome.

bump.

Love the Dome. It always meant a baseball game. If it was raining outside, it was 72 and dry inside. If it was 95 and humid out, it was 72 and dry inside.

I can remember walking out from the horrible bomb-shelter concourse and looking out onto the field to see Kirby and Kent warming up, hearing Bob Casey call out "now batting, the center-fielder number 34, Kirbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Puck-ett!" and getting an absolute thrill.

Great place and it will be missed. I'm very seriously going to try and get a pair of chairs during the auction.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
    I'd start a new thread about this, but I don't want to start a fight.

But...

Enough with the signs at shows and "requests to play _____ song for ______ reason." It's getting a little embarrassing. I mean, its one thing to go ahead and post about it here on a fan site (that's what this place is for, right?), but doing it at a show, I can't imagine it's really appealing to the guys. In fact, how many times has Ed said something to the effect "we don't take orders?" I know for a fact he said that much at LA1 (right before playing "All Or None" haha), and I know for a fact he wasn't pleased about the signs during the "Breath" fiasco at MSG ('98?).

It's just a little corny and, I don't know, juvenile? The band's is ripping through song after song, and meanwhile, some groupie is sitting on the rail with a sign that says "Play Whale Song," oblivious to the fact that they ain't playing it. Why? Because you think throwing a weird b-side in the middle of a setlist that Ed took the time to personally create for your city would make for a better show?

I put it in the same vein as people who record songs on their phones live. Go ahead and snap some photos, record a little bit, but every song? I swear a guy with an iPad was doing it in the pit at LA1. At what point are you no longer present? At what point are you no longer enjoying the show?

I don't know. It's just something I noticed at the past few shows (Wrigley too) that I found baffling and annoying. Can we just be there and enjoy the shows?

I know there's been some suggestion about bring a sign about Minnesota to shows, and while I love the sentiment, it's really something I could never do. While I want them to play here and I want them to play all of Avocado every night etc, God help me if I go to Michael's for some craft materials and make a sign for a show. It's just not something I think the band enjoys seeing and I can't imagine the people behind the sign-holder like it much either. It's certainly not going to enhance the show experience (much like the constant cell phone use).

Sorry, but it almost reeks of Bieberitis (which is no longer treatable with penicillin :lol: ).

Anyway, vantrant over. :)
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • So, the sign option is out. How about a tshirt? lol! Just kidding, I already have my cute outfit picked out. ;) The only thing I plan on holding that night is a beer and hopefully a poster tube.
    vant0037 wrote:
    I'd start a new thread about this, but I don't want to start a fight.

But...

Enough with the signs at shows and "requests to play _____ song for ______ reason." It's getting a little embarrassing. I mean, its one thing to go ahead and post about it here on a fan site (that's what this place is for, right?), but doing it at a show, I can't imagine it's really appealing to the guys. In fact, how many times has Ed said something to the effect "we don't take orders?" I know for a fact he said that much at LA1 (right before playing "All Or None" haha), and I know for a fact he wasn't pleased about the signs during the "Breath" fiasco at MSG ('98?).

It's just a little corny and, I don't know, juvenile? The band's is ripping through song after song, and meanwhile, some groupie is sitting on the rail with a sign that says "Play Whale Song," oblivious to the fact that they ain't playing it. Why? Because you think throwing a weird b-side in the middle of a setlist that Ed took the time to personally create for your city would make for a better show?

I put it in the same vein as people who record songs on their phones live. Go ahead and snap some photos, record a little bit, but every song? I swear a guy with an iPad was doing it in the pit at LA1. At what point are you no longer present? At what point are you no longer enjoying the show?

I don't know. It's just something I noticed at the past few shows (Wrigley too) that I found baffling and annoying. Can we just be there and enjoy the shows?

I know there's been some suggestion about bring a sign about Minnesota to shows, and while I love the sentiment, it's really something I could never do. While I want them to play here and I want them to play all of Avocado every night etc, God help me if I go to Michael's for some craft materials and make a sign for a show. It's just not something I think the band enjoys seeing and I can't imagine the people behind the sign-holder like it much either. It's certainly not going to enhance the show experience (much like the constant cell phone use).

Sorry, but it almost reeks of Bieberitis (which is no longer treatable with penicillin :lol: ).

Anyway, vantrant over. :)

I see where you're coming from. Looks like no one will follow through anyway. ;)
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
    The metrodome had a lot of great twins games for me. I remember seeing the 87 team when I was four years old and just playing with trucks on the blue seats. :lol:

It's time to move on though. The stadium is 30 years old. Maybe PJ can play there really, really, really soon! :D Imagine how terrible the sound would be.

Just for old time's sake.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAyLX2hY7E0
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
    evenflow82 wrote:
    The metrodome had a lot of great twins games for me. I remember seeing the 87 team when I was four years old and just playing with trucks on the blue seats. :lol:

It's time to move on though. The stadium is 30 years old. Maybe PJ can play there really, really, really soon! :D Imagine how terrible the sound would be.

Man...remember when they had concerts at the Dome? I remember protests for Marilyn Manson. Haha!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • kdiddykdiddy Posts: 737
    Last trip to the Dome forever!

BUMP for a great first Vikings game and last ever Dome experience for me! T'was very appropriate to see such a game with my two football watching guys. Hope to catch a game at the Bank and then of course the new stadium. If we do that, then I'll have seen the Vikings play in every "Vikings" stadium except for the old Met, which is only due to the fact i wasn't alive back then. I've heard plenty of great stories from my Dad as well as Z's dad about their experience though. haha.
    vant0037 wrote:
    evenflow82 wrote:

Man...remember when they had concerts at the Dome? I remember protests for Marilyn Manson. Haha!

Only Metrodome concert I ever experienced there was N'Sync (their last tour together!).. uff, was the sound baaaad
    Sopranos!!!!

Diddy and I are finally finishing this amazing, epic show.

I've watched it when it first aired, Diddy is the one catching up and I love it!

Baked zitti and a bottle of red wine to finish it off right!

GREAT day for sure!! only took us a few years to get through the "7" season.. now on to the next. Gotta finish up Friday Night LIghts, and then start re-watching LOST!
    kdiddy wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:
    evenflow82 wrote:

Only Metrodome concert I ever experienced there was N'Sync (their last tour together!).. uff, was the sound baaaad

I bet. I wish we would improve the sound at Roy Wilkins or get a better mid sized venue.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
    evenflow82 wrote:

I bet. I wish we would improve the sound at Roy Wilkins or get a better mid sized venue.[/quote]

We are! The St. Paul "palace theater" is getting a llllong overdue refurb and is going to be that mid-size venue, at about 3,000 I believe. I don't know when it'll be done, but it's going to be awesome for us as well as St. Paul!
  • I'll take a MN show. Late to the party, but just sayin...
    vant0037 wrote:
    Enough with the signs at shows and "requests to play _____ song for ______ reason." It's getting a little embarrassing.

i know you've expressed this sentiment before, but i think the HOW the request is made is important in distinguishing between embarassing and acceptable.

who really cares if someone has a "brain of j" sign and holds it up a couple times during song breaks or encore breaks? the "all or none" sign was inoffensive and, because the person was able to hold the sign over the rail, not bothering anyone else, not to mention the fact that "all or none" had been on previous setlists so it wasn't like the band hadn't thought about playing it. signs are a part of most arena concerts and as long as the sign isn't absurd or obtrusive, why as a fan be embarrassed by it?

holding up a sign saying "play leash you pussies"? yeah, not really cool insulting the band, no matter how tongue-in-cheek it is. holding up "whale song" or "angel" for the entirety of a show? not cool- it shows you purposely are ignoring the band's live output and/or history for your own gains. however, the band sometimes facilitates this behavior, despite ed's insistence that they don't take orders. the plethora of "play song x for my dead dog's orphan puppy" threads on this board are a direct result of the band playing song y for someone else's aunt's autistic parrot.

you, vant, definitely have expressed the attitude that asking or requesting the band for anything- song requests, playing minnesota- is selfishly motivated and that the band should be able to do whatever they want to do, fan requests be damned. that's fine- bands SHOULD do only what they want to do- doing anything else might compromise their integrity. pearl jam has largely been able to do just that over their career. but pearl jam also largely recognizes their fans, and part of the fun in following this band is watching the fan-band dynamic play out in front of us. the band playing "come back" at wrigley was a genuinely emotional moment specifically because we knew what it meant for that one fan. had he not requested that song, that emotional moment would have been absent, and our connection to that moment would have been lost. when the band finally does play minnesota again, we fans who have kept this thread alive will be able to say that show will mean a lot to us- we've been publicly hoping for it for years. i'm still upset i forgot to bring the "please play minnesota" sign to the san diego show.

so, in short: respectable, unobtrusive signs/requests- ok by me. it's a part of going to big shows, and helps create a band-fan connection when things play out. those moments are special more often than not.
    on another note:

i picked up vini (cardoso) saturday morning and spent the day with him. we went to the albertville mall, where he was disappointed in the lack of good deals. we then went to the mall of america, because i felt it would not be right for someone to visit here and NOT go the state's biggest tourist trap. we also went to hooters since we were there. :lol: after the mall i took him to the electric fetus and then we went back to my place to spin records (constitution hall, benaroya) and play old school nintendo (super mario 3!). later in the evening we went to the 5-8 club to have another jucy lucy- which actually were disappointing; he much preferred the one he had at shamrocks and i don't blame him. maybe we should have went to matt's bar instead.

it was a great day and with our get together before and then saturday with me, i think vini got a great minnesota experience. hopefully we'll be able to see each other again soon.
  • I'm flying out of Minneapolis on Thursday to see the show in Seattle. Our seats are behind the stage, but at this point, we're just happy to be in the building.

I saw the play in St. Paul several years ago. The most recent pilgramage was to Chicago for Wrigley, which was a scene.

It would be fun if they came back here someday.
    You will try.