The PLAY MINNESOTA Thread!

Comments

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    PJ, please come back to Minnesota in 2014.

4,500 posts!!!
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    AndySlash wrote:
    i know you've expressed this sentiment before, but i think the HOW the request is made is important in distinguishing between embarassing and acceptable.

Yes.
    AndySlash wrote:
    signs are a part of most arena concerts and as long as the sign isn't absurd or obtrusive, why as a fan be embarrassed by it?

See but I do find signs absurd. The band is ripping through "Spin The Black Circle" and you're going to stand there with a sign that says "play some other song/venue?" That seems so awkward to me.
    AndySlash wrote:
    holding up "whale song" or "angel" for the entirety of a show? not cool- it shows you purposely are ignoring the band's live output and/or history for your own gains.

This is more what I'm talking about. I think holding up a "Play Minnesota" sign in say, Los Angeles, would fall under this category.
    AndySlash wrote:
    however, the band sometimes facilitates this behavior, despite ed's insistence that they don't take orders. the plethora of "play song x for my dead dog's orphan puppy" threads on this board are a direct result of the band playing song y for someone else's aunt's autistic parrot.

Completely agree. But it doesn't mean we should fall into it.
    AndySlash wrote:
    you, vant, definitely have expressed the attitude that asking or requesting the band for anything- song requests, playing minnesota- is selfishly motivated and that the band should be able to do whatever they want to do, fan requests be damned.

Well in fairness to myself (haha), my point has more or less been than hoping/requesting is one thing (hence this thread), but complaining or impugning the integrity of a band because they don't do what I personally want them to do is another thing. From time to time, this board gets overwhelmed with the latter, an attitude that I think stems from an unjustified sense of entitlement.
    AndySlash wrote:
    the band playing "come back" at wrigley was a genuinely emotional moment specifically because we knew what it meant for that one fan. had he not requested that song, that emotional moment would have been absent, and our connection to that moment would have been lost.

True, but I don't think there were signs to that effect. Like I said, make your request here, but live? I just cannot imagine doing anything other than rocking out at a show. It just baffles me that being there isn't enough, that being physically present isn't enough...we've got to have one more thing squeezed out from the band (a video, a song played for just ME!, a photo etc). And so when I think about holding up a sign/cell phone/child etc? Come on.
    AndySlash wrote:
    when the band finally does play minnesota again, we fans who have kept this thread alive will be able to say that show will mean a lot to us- we've been publicly hoping for it for years.

Of course!
    AndySlash wrote:
    so, in short: respectable, unobtrusive signs/requests- ok by me. it's a part of going to big shows, and helps create a band-fan connection when things play out. those moments are special more often than not.

I think we agree more than we disagree.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    vant0037 wrote:
    See but I do find signs absurd. The band is ripping through "Spin The Black Circle" and you're going to stand there with a sign that says "play some other song/venue?" That seems so awkward to me.

This is more what I'm talking about. I think holding up a "Play Minnesota" sign in say, Los Angeles, would fall under this category.

had i actually remembered the sign in san diego (or had ga tix for the la shows), i certainly would not have held it up during ANY song or speech. pre-show, song breaks, encore breaks- yes, and only occasionally. and if i saw the band noticed it, i wouldn't have held it up again. but that's just me, and obviously other people take greater, usually less polite measures.

and i don't think holding a "please play minnesota" sign at a los angeles show is remotely egregious as a "play angel" sign is. i can see it falling under the latter category i described and you noted, but "in fairness to myself" i'm not demanding or being rude about anything, nor am i being oblivious to the actualities of the band's situation. and i'm still "in the moment" for the entire show. holding up a sign periodically isn't going to take away from my own- or their- experience. and that goes for most fans' signs. it's the dickheads who give this type of activity a bad name, and unfortunately they usually do enough to get the spotlight they so desperately want.

bottom line is it's a communication avenue with the band. if it's done right, great things can happen.
    Minne-SNOW-tta!

I wonder how many inches we'll get.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • AndySlash wrote:
    later in the evening we went to the 5-8 club to have another jucy lucy- which actually were disappointing; he much preferred the one he had at shamrocks quote]

YES!!!!! I don't care who invented it, the boys at the Nook and Shamrock's perfected it!

I'm glad you stepped up to pick up Vini...we thought about it but couldn't make it work with the Vikings game early Sunday, and my family still in town on Saturday.

Good to show the Minnesota Nice experience!
  • I would like to say, I completely agree with Vant on the signs. Gross. I wouldn't do it and think it's kind of dumb; also, think its a waste of time and energy. Energy better spent on being part of the show, rather than concentrating on yelling out the song and holding up a sign.

Although..........................................

At Bruce Springsteen shows, people bring signs with song requests. The signs also span the gammit from hit Boss song, kooky bside, deep cut, or a suggestion for a cover. At some point during the night, Bruce yells out, "send 'em up!" At this point, all the signs start making their way to the stage and he picks out a couple to play. This is his version of opening up the floor to requests. Now, I have no idea if this was something that he stated he wanted, or it grew organically and became a folk, learned thing at Springsteen shows. It's pretty cool. In 2009 (diddy will correct me on the year, if i'm wrong), in St, Paul, a sign said "Doctor! Doctor!" To which, Bruce explained, "We've never played this song until right now in St. Fuckin' Paul!!!!!" After the band decided who would play the solo (I think the pianist did), they ripped into it. It was cool.

So, I guess, my stance is: I find signs annoying and all these requests on this board to play certain songs ("Hartford's never been Crowned" puke) to be a waste of time and just a way for the Tenclub to whine for certain, special moments. That moment at Wrigley was great because it was rare, word from the boards got back to them. It would be cheapened if they kept doing it.
    AndySlash wrote:
    on another note:

i picked up vini (cardoso) saturday morning and spent the day with him. we went to the albertville mall, where he was disappointed in the lack of good deals. we then went to the mall of america, because i felt it would not be right for someone to visit here and NOT go the state's biggest tourist trap. we also went to hooters since we were there. :lol: after the mall i took him to the electric fetus and then we went back to my place to spin records (constitution hall, benaroya) and play old school nintendo (super mario 3!). later in the evening we went to the 5-8 club to have another jucy lucy- which actually were disappointing; he much preferred the one he had at shamrocks and i don't blame him. maybe we should have went to matt's bar instead.

it was a great day and with our get together before and then saturday with me, i think vini got a great minnesota experience. hopefully we'll be able to see each other again soon.

Whoa. Awesome Ryan,simply awesome.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
    I would like to say, I completely agree with Vant on the signs. Gross. I wouldn't do it and think it's kind of dumb; also, think its a waste of time and energy. Energy better spent on being part of the show, rather than concentrating on yelling out the song and holding up a sign.

Although..........................................

At Bruce Springsteen shows, people bring signs with song requests. The signs also span the gammit from hit Boss song, kooky bside, deep cut, or a suggestion for a cover. At some point during the night, Bruce yells out, "send 'em up!" At this point, all the signs start making their way to the stage and he picks out a couple to play. This is his version of opening up the floor to requests. Now, I have no idea if this was something that he stated he wanted, or it grew organically and became a folk, learned thing at Springsteen shows. It's pretty cool. In 2009 (diddy will correct me on the year, if i'm wrong), in St, Paul, a sign said "Doctor! Doctor!" To which, Bruce explained, "We've never played this song until right now in St. Fuckin' Paul!!!!!" After the band decided who would play the solo (I think the pianist did), they ripped into it. It was cool.

So, I guess, my stance is: I find signs annoying and all these requests on this board to play certain songs ("Hartford's never been Crowned" puke) to be a waste of time and just a way for the Tenclub to whine for certain, special moments. That moment at Wrigley was great because it was rare, word from the boards got back to them. It would be cheapened if they kept doing it.

:D:D It sure would be nice if word from the boards got back to the band. :D:D
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Glad to hear that everyone has had (mostly) good times at the shows they've gone to.

Now they must play Minnesota!
    07-09-95 Milwaukee, WI (Summerfest) - 10-08-00 Alpine Valley Music -06-16-03 St. Paul, MN - 09-03-11 Alpine Valley Music Theatre -09-04-11 Alpine Valley Music Theatre - 09-30-12 Missoula, MT - 07-19-13 Wrigley Field - 11-15-13 Dallas, TX - 10-3-14 St Louis, MO - 10-19-14 St Paul, MN
    Agreed. Ed can toss a tambourine from the pitching mound to home plate at Target Field. :)
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Agreed. Ed can toss a tambourine from the pitching mound to home plate at Target Field. :)

On the MSG official DVD extras, Mike throws out the pitch at a Saints game (before the 03 show I believe).
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
    I thought it was jeff's bass tech or someone like that.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    Here's the thing... if Pearl Jam plays MN, I'll freaking fly up for it.

It's important.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,387
    edited December 2013
    Caught the tail end of the "holding up signs discussion", and wanted to throw in my $0.02.
    AndySlash wrote:
    bottom line is it's a communication avenue with the band. if it's done right, great things can happen.

THIS. Grand Rapids '06 - one of the best/most memorable PJ shows I've been to. My buddy and I had a few beers pre-show and decided to make a sign - black magic marker on a standard 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper - "SATAN'S BED". (a song they had only played TWICE live since 1996, but one we thought could happen)

For those familiar with this show, it became "The Experiment", to which Eddie clarified "there's a difference between experimenting with you and fucking with you!". They played some rare jams, and during the second encore my buddy and I held up our 'Satan's Bed' signs, which Ed saw and immediately ran over to Stone to switch up the set. Here's the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh9FDFQd4pQ

My point: We did NOT hold the signs up the entire show, just in that small window of 30 secs after 'Comatose' was finished. To me it was respectful, well timed, and a moment I'll never forget. And watch the damn video - how much fun does it look like Ed is having?!?

Signs - go for it, but respect your neighbors, make realistic requests, and feel it out. If Ed is not acknowledging it, give it up.
    Post edited by adusick on
  • .........bump
  • kdiddykdiddy Posts: 737
    I bought a NutriBullet on Black Friday... hoping to get some nutrients on the daily (rather than every other day or so).. BUMP! :corn:
    i am fucking stoked from this announcement today:

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 72961.html

In what we’re guessing will be his first-ever appearance in the Twin Cities, Texas’ back-from-the-brink cosmic rock legend Roky Erickson of 13th Floor Elevators notoriety is finally set to perform at First Avenue on Feb. 3 with fellow Austin rockers the Black Angels as his backing band. Tickets ($20) are already on sale at First Ave outlets.

As the earth-rumbling howler and otherworldly lyricist in the Elevators and later the Aliens, Erickson pioneered psychedelic rock in the mid-‘60s and went on to influence the likes of R.E.M. to Jack White with such songs as “You’re Gonna Miss Me,” “I Walked With a Zombie” and “Reverberation.”

As was well chronicled in the documentary “You’re Gonna Miss Me,” though, Erickson was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1968 and suffered years of mistreatment during a decade-long prison stay after being busted with a single joint. He became a recluse through the ‘80s and ‘90s as his mental-health issues persisted, in which time he was the subject of a rather stellar tribute/benefit album, “Where the Pyramid Meets the Eye,” featuring R.E.M., ZZ Top, the Jesus & Mary Chain, Doug Sahm and the Butthole Surfers.

By 2005, though, Erickson’s mental state took something of a miraculous turnaround, and he began performing again with such hometown backers as the Meat Puppets and Okkervil River, the latter of whom recorded a 2010 album with him, “True Love Casts Out All Evil.” He and the Black Angels have also recorded a new record, “Indigo Meadow.”

As someone who has seen Erickson perform in recent years and in the years he was very bad off – including a few well-intentioned Austin gigs where he stood on stage with his arms crossed and wouldn’t sing – I can verify this is a true comeback story. Don’t miss this one. Here's a video for proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX75Dvj79r0

for what its worth, i'd be pretty fucking stoked if pearl jam played minnesota, too.
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,387
    Hollly shiiiitttt!!! I'm so damn PUMPED! Thanks for the heads up Ryan, GOTTA get tickets Friday! :D:D:D
    With the BLACK ANGELS no less! Saw them when they were last in town, as well as their in-store at the Fetus. Amazing show!
    AndySlash wrote:
    i am fucking stoked from this announcement today:

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 72961.html

In what we’re guessing will be his first-ever appearance in the Twin Cities, Texas’ back-from-the-brink cosmic rock legend Roky Erickson of 13th Floor Elevators notoriety is finally set to perform at First Avenue on Feb. 3 with fellow Austin rockers the Black Angels as his backing band. Tickets ($20) are already on sale at First Ave outlets.

As the earth-rumbling howler and otherworldly lyricist in the Elevators and later the Aliens, Erickson pioneered psychedelic rock in the mid-‘60s and went on to influence the likes of R.E.M. to Jack White with such songs as “You’re Gonna Miss Me,” “I Walked With a Zombie” and “Reverberation.”

As was well chronicled in the documentary “You’re Gonna Miss Me,” though, Erickson was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1968 and suffered years of mistreatment during a decade-long prison stay after being busted with a single joint. He became a recluse through the ‘80s and ‘90s as his mental-health issues persisted, in which time he was the subject of a rather stellar tribute/benefit album, “Where the Pyramid Meets the Eye,” featuring R.E.M., ZZ Top, the Jesus & Mary Chain, Doug Sahm and the Butthole Surfers.

By 2005, though, Erickson’s mental state took something of a miraculous turnaround, and he began performing again with such hometown backers as the Meat Puppets and Okkervil River, the latter of whom recorded a 2010 album with him, “True Love Casts Out All Evil.” He and the Black Angels have also recorded a new record, “Indigo Meadow.”

As someone who has seen Erickson perform in recent years and in the years he was very bad off – including a few well-intentioned Austin gigs where he stood on stage with his arms crossed and wouldn’t sing – I can verify this is a true comeback story. Don’t miss this one. Here's a video for proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX75Dvj79r0

for what its worth, i'd be pretty fucking stoked if pearl jam played minnesota, too.
  • adusick wrote:
    THIS. Grand Rapids '06 - one of the best/most memorable PJ shows I've been to. My buddy and I had a few beers pre-show and decided to make a sign - black magic marker on a standard 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper - "SATAN'S BED". (a song they had only played TWICE live since 1996, but one we thought could happen)

For those familiar with this show, it became "The Experiment", to which Eddie clarified "there's a difference between experimenting with you and fucking with you!". They played some rare jams, and during the second encore my buddy and I held up our 'Satan's Bed' signs, which Ed saw and immediately ran over to Stone to switch up the set. Here's the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh9FDFQd4pQ

My point: We did NOT hold the signs up the entire show, just in that small window of 30 secs after 'Comatose' was finished. To me it was respectful, well timed, and a moment I'll never forget. And watch the damn video - how much fun does it look like Ed is having?!?

Signs - go for it, but respect your neighbors, make realistic requests, and feel it out. If Ed is not acknowledging it, give it up.

I knew this was coming to the conversation.
    It sure is awesome the Black Angels keep returning to Minnesota...
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
    Snow!!! My alma mater (for undergrad) in Duluth is closed today. You know there is some legit winter weather when UMD closes. :lol:
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • kdiddykdiddy Posts: 737
    Hope everyone has safe travels today! My bus got clipped on 36 and forced into a side snow bank up against a guardrail. It was just a bump, but enough to leave us stuck and the car who clipped us didn't even stop :nono: so, when a new bus pulled up, we had to jump the guardrail to get out and on to the next bus. woo hoo.. wish i could've just worked from home today. :fp:
    Does anyone in the band snowboard or ski? If so, Minnesota is perfect for you now. :-)
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Does anyone in the band snowboard or ski? If so, Minnesota is perfect for you now. :-)

I distinctly remember a PJ20 promo w/Mike McCready a snowboard:
    http://youtu.be/GE-xR4otVYo
    http://youtu.be/O0Bj823fPWU

Always wanted one of their jackets for when I ride. Mine's nearly 20 years old now! Well overdue for a new one...

And here's an old story that talks about Jeff snowboarding Europe: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=108966

Snow day today? Afton open yet?
    cardoso really wanted to see snow when he was here. too bad he missed it by a couple days.
    I am pumped for the painfully slow commute home. :lol:
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
    evenflow82 wrote:
    I am pumped for the painfully slow commute home. :lol:

Definitely leaving early.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
    Said in Minnesota accent, "This weather is really somethin!"
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Bump for picking up the slack at work (again) because people called in.

This place really gets my goat.

Could use a pick me up.

Soon????

sigh

bump. :|
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Bump for picking up the slack at work (again) because people called in.

This place really gets my goat.

Could use a pick me up.

Soon????

sigh

bump. :|

Where do you work? Left my job recently, looking for new employ. Able to drive to work in the snow.