Options

PJ 20 Blu Ray ---YIKES

Comments

• Options
    PJammin' wrote:

Yeah. I love Pearl Jam, and I'll fork out the money, but this is a terrible price. I don't know if it's price gouging and they know we'll pay, or if it's a result of their "do it yourself" business model, but either way it's overpriced.

i love pearl jam as much as the next superfan but i will not be buying. i was going to buy it before i saw the 70+ price tag after shipping. everyone enjoy your PJ20.

Oh hey bud, I didn't mean that people that refused to buy it for this price didn't "love" Pearl Jam or whatever, in fact I admire your resolve. It was more like two separate thoughts to lead up to my main point, which was the terrible price. It was sort of like saying, I love the band so I'm not going to resign my membership over this, and I'm going to buy it so my complaint isn't coming from a standpoint of "I'm mad because I can't afford this", but having said that this is an excessive price.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    drsluggo wrote:
    It's fine that you're willing to spend that, I myself have not made a decision yet. But that is VERY pricey for a Blu-Ray set, considering that the "Kids are Twenty" footage is just the regular film without interviews. I want to see the interviews!
    Which is my big question...

Is the 'Kids Are Twenty' disc basically the same footage as Disc 1 with some subtle changes? If so... we're not really getting 4 hours of bonus features - just a 'regular cut' and a 'directors cut.'

Hopefully they'll clarify what's new on the 2nd/3rd disc in more detail, because right now I'm just not seeing how you get to 4+ hours of new bonus features.

Yeah, if that's the case it makes the price that much worse, but it's nice knowing I won't be missin much with the standard dvd. Still hopin for the standard bluray. I can live without the di-cut packaging.

It does say 30 minutes of bonus footage the dvd desciption so I doubt we'll miss anything outside The Kids are 20 and The Fans Are Alright
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,786
    PJammin' wrote:

Yeah. I love Pearl Jam, and I'll fork out the money, but this is a terrible price. I don't know if it's price gouging and they know we'll pay, or if it's a result of their "do it yourself" business model, but either way it's overpriced.

i love pearl jam as much as the next superfan but i will not be buying. i was going to buy it before i saw the 70+ price tag after shipping. everyone enjoy your PJ20.

Oh hey bud, I didn't mean that people that refused to buy it for this price didn't "love" Pearl Jam or whatever, in fact I admire your resolve. It was more like two separate thoughts to lead up to my main point, which was the terrible price. It was sort of like saying, I love the band so I'm not going to resign my membership over this, and I'm going to buy it so my complaint isn't coming from a standpoint of "I'm mad because I can't afford this", but having said that this is an excessive price.

yeah, i know. i didn't take it the wrong way. i just quoted you to say that i wasn't going to buy it. that's all. :D
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i won't be buying the regular version, nor will i purchase the deluxe version...

i will however, be happy to purchase tickets to next years alpine shows today. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The pricing is a little high but does anyone really think that Pearl Jam, of all bands, is trying to just get more money out of their extremely loyal fanbase??
  • Options
    Aside from the "serious collectors"...

why would u buy the dvd deluxe set if you have a blu ray player? to save only $10???
    So, basically, if they had a vhs version for $10 less than the dvd price you'd buy that instead??

the price sux.
    but if you can't get the blu ray by itself
    and its not avail anywhere else
    u suck it up and buy it

and then 2 weeks from now target has a blu ray only disc that comes w/ a limited edition t shirt, stickers, vans low tops and an autographed pj20 soundtrack for $30.00 and we'll all meet back here and bitch about it some more then.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,971

and then 2 weeks from now target has a blu ray only disc that comes w/ a limited edition t shirt, stickers, vans low tops and an autographed pj20 soundtrack for $30.00 and we'll all meet back here and bitch about it some more then.

This is why I am not buying anything today.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Personally.. I will be buying the Blu-ray version.. just cause I want that third extra disc..cause yes.. we fans ARE alright and I'm really interested in seeing how they did that!!Plus.. who couldn't want EXTRA PJ?!?!! Seriously, this thing in my humble opinion ( and THAT is all it is folks is my opinion), will be righteous in the way them going over time is always righteous..wow .. I swear most of you sound like suburbanite brats!!!Nothing is ever enough, and yet you're so damned blighted...it's really sad..

Because people don't want to spend $75 on a documentary with bonus footage, they're brats? Come down off your high horse.

It's fine that you're willing to spend that, I myself have not made a decision yet. But that is VERY pricey for a Blu-Ray set, considering that the "Kids are Twenty" footage is just the regular film without interviews. I want to see the interviews!
    No they're brats because we are always given MORE from this band than almost any other band out there..And yet it is never enough, some how everyone thinks they're entitled to more.. as for price gouging.. I seriously think it IS because of the model of personal business.. and for me, if that means we're going to get our PJ directly from THEM and not some record label's demand of interpretation, then I'm all for supporting them in this endeavor. And having had a business before, I can tell you..it is always going to cost more in the beginning, because the overhead on the opening bell is so much higher than in the latter years, once a saving stock has been built up.. also, give them time to find different outsourcing..they have never been bent on raping our wallets, if nothing else this band has always tried to find ways to keep money IN our wallets, which is another reason I'm all for supporting them on outside and inside endeavors..Anyhow I have always been amazed at the loss of interpretation that goes with text..seriously there should be a way to communicate things a bit better.. oh yeah, there is.. vocals.. now if only we had each others' phone numbers (SOOOO kidding!!)Oh well..have a good day anyhow..
  • Options
    The Blu ray is so expensive it's ridiculous. Some have used the recent. Star wars set as an example and they aee not wrong. The packaging for this thing better be spectacular. I'd also expect a small book filled with info. I am not pleased.
    The Scary Monster
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    edited September 2011
    That 3 $20 Blu-Rays in Once special edition package. Not overly insane
    It is when you look at other collections.

The Star Wars movies were just released on Blu-ray: 9 Disc set for 79.99...
    Except for the fact that George Lucas simply can't keep from fucking with the originals. The total should be less because the original charm of the 1978 is lost with cheesy State-Of-The-Art-Du-Jour crap that was added on. Han Solo is supposed to be a bad-ass outlaw that shoots first, asks questions later. And how crappy of a bounty hunter is Greedo if he cannot hit a seated target from across a table?
    That scene alone should reduce the price by 20 bucks... Darth Vader crying, 'NOOOOOOOOOO!' like a wussie pantie waist at the end of Jedi should make it qualify for the bin where you'd find 'Glitter' or 'Maid In Manhattan' discs.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    That's very disappointing news. I'm still keeping a tiny shred of hope that they just mean that they won't be selling it and aren't stating that other stores won't have it, but I know that's probably not the case. It looks like they just want the people who like bluray to shell out extra money for an overpriced set. I can't understand why they wouldn't sell a 1-disc version of it. I'd understand if there was no bluray version at all, but to only have it available here and only available in a 3-disc set that costs much more than any 3-disc bluray set I've ever seen is inexcusable. Now, this may not be the band's fault or the Ten Club's fault since it's not their company releasing it (at least I don't think it is), but somebody had to make the decision to only make the bluray version available in an overpriced version that can't be bought anywhere else. Why?
    JimmyV wrote:
    This too is a very good point.

I wrote 10C inquiring about a single disc Bluray option. We'll see what they say.

EDIT: 10C reports that there will only be a deluxe option. I'm still gonna wait awhile before buying anything but it looks like it will be a DVD for me.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,353
    81 wrote:
    i won't be buying the regular version, nor will i purchase the deluxe version...

i will however, be happy to purchase tickets to next years alpine shows today. :P
    you cant wait to see me again :P
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,915
    This price is a joke. If you can't realize that then your love for the band is blinding you. 1 disc standard DVD for me.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    a hard days night on blu ray on amazon ... $30 ... 1 disc ...

it's cool to think it's expensive but no need to tell people they are drinking kool aid if they don't agree ...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,353
    i hope there will be a video cassette release... :P
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Personally.. I will be buying the Blu-ray version.. just cause I want that third extra disc..cause yes.. we fans ARE alright and I'm really interested in seeing how they did that!!Plus.. who couldn't want EXTRA PJ?!?!! Seriously, this thing in my humble opinion ( and THAT is all it is folks is my opinion), will be righteous in the way them going over time is always righteous..wow .. I swear most of you sound like suburbanite brats!!!Nothing is ever enough, and yet you're so damned blighted...it's really sad..

Because people don't want to spend $75 on a documentary with bonus footage, they're brats? Come down off your high horse.

No they're brats because we are always given MORE from this band than almost any other band out there..And yet it is never enough, some how everyone thinks they're entitled to more.. as for price gouging.. I seriously think it IS because of the model of personal business.. and for me, if that means we're going to get our PJ directly from THEM and not some record label's demand of interpretation, then I'm all for supporting them in this endeavor. And having had a business before, I can tell you..it is always going to cost more in the beginning, because the overhead on the opening bell is so much higher than in the latter years, once a saving stock has been built up.. also, give them time to find different outsourcing..they have never been bent on raping our wallets, if nothing else this band has always tried to find ways to keep money IN our wallets, which is another reason I'm all for supporting them on outside and inside endeavors..Anyhow I have always been amazed at the loss of interpretation that goes with text..seriously there should be a way to communicate things a bit better.. oh yeah, there is.. vocals.. now if only we had each others' phone numbers (SOOOO kidding!!)Oh well..have a good day anyhow..

What have they given us? Everything I've got that says PJ on it I've paid for. Honestly I can live with a little markup b/c they aren't a big box retailer but this seems a little outta hand especially for what you get. You can't deny $70 is a rapetastic price.
    This isn't the beginning, 10c has been in business for quite awhile now. If they haven't figured out roughly how much they need of a certain product by now to try to eliminate overhead, then they aren't trying to figure that out.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    This price is a joke. If you can't realize that then your love for the band is blinding you. 1 disc standard DVD for me.
    I feel it is a matter of want vs. need. No one needs the discs (or backpacks or concert tickets or other non-essential goods). People may WANT the disc, but, if they cannot afford it... they shouldn't get it. It's all about prioritizing costs and living within your means.
    People who go into debt because of their wants are the ones who need to control their wants.
    Now, if you have a budget for discretionary purchases that will not affect your normal needs... you'll be fine.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I'm not sure how the Bluray can be considered "deluxe" when there is not a lesser option available. You would think the single disc would be "regular" and the three disc would be "deluxe", but without a single disc option then the "deluxe" really is just the "regular" version.

• Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,786
    i hope there will be a video cassette release... :P

hahahahaha, i still have the video for single video theory.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    goldenegg wrote:
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    Having seen the film, I can honestly say that the Blu-Ray may not be worth it. There's not much in the film that will benefit from the HD treatment. For one thing, nearly all of the archival footage was shot on old, very low-res video cameras. The DVD version is probably good enough.

Blu-Ray has both improved video and audio. The audio in this documentary is fantastic and will definitely benefit from the higher bitrate (crossing fingers for uncompressed audio).

There's also a good amount of recent video content which will take full advantage of the higher resolution.

This too is a very good point.

I wrote 10C inquiring about a single disc Bluray option. We'll see what they say.

EDIT: 10C reports that there will only be a deluxe option. I'm still gonna wait awhile before buying anything but it looks like it will be a DVD for me.

EDIT: there WILL be a single bluray disc option, but 10c will not be selling it right now.
    slh
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    I was going to buy this through 10C because of Tim's promise of extras but not for $70. Extras be damned, Amazon here I come!

says only on pearljam.com ?

I am going to wait awhile and see what else pops up. I think the deluxe is only available through pearljam.com, but I figure there will be a single disc Bluray edition available elsewhere. If not, I'll have to live with DVD.

ahhh...

i guess you're right more variations could pop up

oh well... i ordered it... i have issues ;)
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    What have they given us? Everything I've got that says PJ on it I've paid for. Honestly I can live with a little markup b/c they aren't a big box retailer but this seems a little outta hand especially for what you get. You can't deny $70 is a rapetastic price.
    This isn't the beginning, 10c has been in business for quite awhile now. If they haven't figured out roughly how much they need of a certain product by now to try to eliminate overhead, then they aren't trying to figure that out.
    Maybe they are stashing away some cash to buy a high availbility, RAC Oracle database system to run this store.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    EDIT: there WILL be a single bluray disc option, but 10c will not be selling it right now.
    slh[/quote]

I will gladly wait for whoever sells it
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I wish I could just get the regular film and "The Fans are All Right" disc...too pricey otherwise.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

slh

Thanks for the clarification Santos! That is the news many of us were hoping to hear.

• Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    polaris_x wrote:
    a hard days night on blu ray on amazon ... $30 ... 1 disc ...

it's cool to think it's expensive but no need to tell people they are drinking kool aid if they don't agree ...
    That goes both ways - every single time someone has ANY issue with ANYTHING that has PJ attached to it they are called 'entitled' 'brats' 'selfish' etc, etc, etc.

The Hard Day's night blu-ray (if I'm reading this right) is an import as well, which always pushes the price up.

$70 for a movie plus two discs of extras is expensive. I'll probably end up buying it, but it doesn't mean its a fair price although we'll see what is all in the extras and if there are any special packaging things which would make the price seem a lot more reasonable. At the end of the day, it's just that pearljam.com is the only game in town so they can charge whatever they want and if you want to get it you have to pay it. It's like Ticketmaster... :lol:
  • Options
    Thank you for the clarification, Santos. That makes much more sense than what appeared to be the case earlier. I don't even care if the bluray release is later than the DVD because 10/25 is just a short bike ride from 12/25 and if I could wait out Backspacer that way, I know I can wait this out just the same if that's the case. Gracias, Danke, thanks.
    slh
  • Options
    slh

Can you guarantee this deluxe set will not show up with other vendors? That is the claim on the description and I just want to be clear about that.

Also, it would be nice if we could get a REAL description of what is in the deluxe package.

PEARL JAM TWENTY DELUXE 3 DISC BLURAY.
    THREE DVD SET FEATURING OVER FOUR HOURS OF EXTRAS.
    DISC ONE FULL-LENGTH VERSION OF "PEARL JAM TWENTY" ALONG WITH BONUS FOOTAGE
    DISC TWO "THE KIDS ARE TWENTY" VERSION OF THE FILM AND BONUS FOOTAGE
    DISC THREE- "THE FANS ARE ALRIGHT" OVER 90 MINUTES OF EXTRAS FOCUSING ON THE FANS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BAND
    AVAILABLE ONLY AT http://WWW.PEARLJAM.COM
    WILL SHIP ON OR BEFORE RELEASE DATE 10/25/11.

What are considered the FOUR HOURS of extras? Ok we have 1.5 hrs going to fan footage...leaving about 2.5 hours of what? Is it live music footage? Interviews?

The Kids Are Twenty version? It would be nice if you could tell us what that means or how it differs from the regular film without having to try and track down Cameron Crowe for answers?
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    slh

Can you guarantee this deluxe set will not show up with other vendors? That is the claim on the description and I just want to be clear about that.

Also, it would be nice if we could get a REAL description of what is in the deluxe package.

DISC THREE- "THE FANS ARE ALRIGHT" OVER 90 MINUTES OF EXTRAS FOCUSING ON THE FANS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BAND

What are considered the FOUR HOURS of extras? Ok we have 1.5 hrs going to fan footage...leaving about 2.5 hours of what? Is it live music footage? Interviews?

The Kids Are Twenty version? It would be nice if you could tell us what that means or how it differs from the regular film without having to try and track down Cameron Crowe for answers?

roughly 1.5 hours of Fans Are Alright
    +roughly 1.5 hours of The Kids Are 20
    + .5 hours of bonus features present on all formats
    = close to 4 hours
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Rossum20 wrote:
    slh

roughly 1.5 hours of Fans Are Alright
    +roughly 1.5 hours of The Kids Are 20
    + .5 hours of bonus features present on all formats
    = close to 4 hours

How awesomely misleading if that's true. If 'The Kids Are 20' is simply a removal of interviews, how can that be considered extra footage?