Options

PJ 20 Blu Ray ---YIKES

Comments

• Options
    You really can't compare Star Wars, which has grossed billions and billions of dollars and released by 20th Century Fox, to the Pearl Jam movie, which is being released in select theaters for one week only. I'll pay the extra 10 bucks to support the band and Cameron Crowe.
    By the way, didn't Cameron Crowe say that disc 2 was going to be mostly music performance footage?
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,177
    Just dropped $300 on the U2 Achtung Baby 20th anniversary uber deluxe box set. Alas, my music budget for the fall is dry. Hopefully this will still be available in a few months.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Typical hour and a half blu-ray movie is $30.... Think of this as 3 movies. $90 vs. $70 seems fine to me. Besides, this is pretty much an independent movie. Not from a major studio, so things are gonna be priced higher. Support your indy scene.
    You can get almost any blu-ray for $20 or less these days - if you pay full retail maybe $30, but that's pretty rare nowadays.

A 3 blu-ray set... shouldnt be more than $40 or $50 at the absolute tops. It's extremely expensive, but its the only game in town... nothing anyone can do but order or don't. :)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    You really can't compare Star Wars, which has grossed billions and billions of dollars and released by 20th Century Fox, to the Pearl Jam movie, which is being released in select theaters for one week only. I'll pay the extra 10 bucks to support the band and Cameron Crowe.
    By the way, didn't Cameron Crowe say that disc 2 was going to be mostly music performance footage?

I think you can when the Star War collection has 3x the content.
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    No way can you justify the pricing on the DVD/Blu-ray sets...they are outrageous.

A more reasonable price point might be $39.99 (BR)/ $29.99 (DVD) and even then it wouldnt be "cheap".
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    Anybody that says these prices are reasonable has the pj fan blinders on. I definitely planned on buying it but for $70 i need to wait and see if the extras are worth it.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    firstly ... the star wars set actually lists for $140 ... everyone is talking sale price now ...

secondly ... the option is there to just buy the movie at a standard dvd price ... if you want all the bonus stuff / collectors items stuff ... it's a little bit more ...

lastly ... $70 is a lot of money for many people no doubt but is the price reasonable for what you get? ... i think so ... the woodstock 3-dvd originally listed at $70 and ac/dc one disc is like $32 ...
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,971
    JimmyV wrote:
    I was going to buy this through 10C because of Tim's promise of extras but not for $70. Extras be damned, Amazon here I come!

says only on pearljam.com ?

I am going to wait awhile and see what else pops up. I think the deluxe is only available through pearljam.com, but I figure there will be a single disc Bluray edition available elsewhere. If not, I'll have to live with DVD.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Anybody that says these prices are reasonable has the pj fan blinders on.
    +1

This price is insane.
    I think I will buy the Deluxe Set anyway, but the price is still not reasonable at all.
  • Options
    Its definitely more than I wanted to spend, especially today, but I was afraid if I waited, I'd get the "out of stock" notice and be very upset with myself.
  • Options
    I truly hope ther is a bluray release available in stores because it would be really shitty to only sell it as a 3-disc set and charge more per disc than most single bluray discs cost when multi-disc set are always have a lower cost per disc--especially if it's not going to be available at retailers that consistently have much better prices. I remember hearing Tim say on the All Encompassing Trip that there would be a bluray release of the film and I think it's misleading to say that if the only was to get it in that format is to shell out $70 plus shipping and not issue a 1-disc release. I also don't get why the DVD Deluxe edition is $60. That's $20 per DVD when the standard edition is only $15. There can't be $15 worth of extra packaging in the set. I haven't seen a 3-disc DVD set for more than maybe $30 in ages--not since bluray came out, if not even longer than that.

I'm holding out hope that a 1-disc bluray will come out, but I don't see it available for pre-order anywhere even though I do see the DVD available for pre-order. Theuncool.com says the DVD and bluray come out 10/25, so I hope that's the case. I just don't understand why the Ten Club wouldn't have it available to pre-order at the same time as the other 3 options if the release date is the same. $70 for this guarantees that I won't buy it and I'd hate to have to buy a standard DVD to see this when there is an HD version in existence that is being used to milk a few more dollars from us instead of having a more-affordable option out there. To me, that would be like only making the "Ten" re-issue available on CD if you bought the Super Deluxe Box Set and could only get it from this site.
  • Options
    I truly hope ther is a bluray release available in stores because it would be really shitty to only sell it as a 3-disc set and charge more per disc than most single bluray discs cost when multi-disc set are always have a lower cost per disc--especially if it's not going to be available at retailers that consistently have much better prices. I remember hearing Tim say on the All Encompassing Trip that there would be a bluray release of the film and I think it's misleading to say that if the only was to get it in that format is to shell out $70 plus shipping and not issue a 1-disc release. I also don't get why the DVD Deluxe edition is $60. That's $20 per DVD when the standard edition is only $15. There can't be $15 worth of extra packaging in the set. I haven't seen a 3-disc DVD set for more than maybe $30 in ages--not since bluray came out, if not even longer than that.

I'm holding out hope that a 1-disc bluray will come out, but I don't see it available for pre-order anywhere even though I do see the DVD available for pre-order. Theuncool.com says the DVD and bluray come out 10/25, so I hope that's the case. I just don't understand why the Ten Club wouldn't have it available to pre-order at the same time as the other 3 options if the release date is the same. $70 for this guarantees that I won't buy it and I'd hate to have to buy a standard DVD to see this when there is an HD version in existence that is being used to milk a few more dollars from us instead of having a more-affordable option out there. To me, that would be like only making the "Ten" re-issue available on CD if you bought the Super Deluxe Box Set and could only get it from this site.

On the bright side, virtually none of the concert footage will benefit from the hi-def treatment. :lol:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    firstly ... the star wars set actually lists for $140 ... everyone is talking sale price now ...

secondly ... the option is there to just buy the movie at a standard dvd price ... if you want all the bonus stuff / collectors items stuff ... it's a little bit more ...

lastly ... $70 is a lot of money for many people no doubt but is the price reasonable for what you get? ... i think so ... the woodstock 3-dvd originally listed at $70 and ac/dc one disc is like $32 ...

The $140 retail price is a joke though...the Star Wars set will never be more than $70-80 at a place like Amazon.

I still think its overpriced, but again its a no brainer that i'm buying the Blu-ray set (and im sure i'll love it).
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,177
    Having seen the film, I can honestly say that the Blu-Ray may not be worth it. There's not much in the film that will benefit from the HD treatment. For one thing, nearly all of the archival footage was shot on old, very low-res video cameras. The DVD version is probably good enough.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    Having seen the film, I can honestly say that the Blu-Ray may not be worth it. There's not much in the film that will benefit from the HD treatment. For one thing, nearly all of the archival footage was shot on old, very low-res video cameras. The DVD version is probably good enough.

The blu-ray is only an additional $10 bucks right? I can't imagine not going with the blu-ray if you already have a player that can accomodate both.

• Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:

That is a very good point.

• Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:

Just because stuff is shot on older, low res cameras doesnt mean it cant benefit from a transfer to HD, otherwise why both transferring anything to HD
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:

Blu-Ray has both improved video and audio. The audio in this documentary is fantastic and will definitely benefit from the higher bitrate (crossing fingers for uncompressed audio).

There's also a good amount of recent video content which will take full advantage of the higher resolution.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Personally.. I will be buying the Blu-ray version.. just cause I want that third extra disc..cause yes.. we fans ARE alright and I'm really interested in seeing how they did that!!Plus.. who couldn't want EXTRA PJ?!?!! Seriously, this thing in my humble opinion ( and THAT is all it is folks is my opinion), will be righteous in the way them going over time is always righteous..wow .. I swear most of you sound like suburbanite brats!!!Nothing is ever enough, and yet you're so damned blighted...it's really sad..
  • Options
    1855648-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007
    crying_baby.jpg
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Anybody that says these prices are reasonable has the pj fan blinders on.
    +1

This price is insane.
    I think I will buy the Deluxe Set anyway, but the price is still not reasonable at all.

Yeah. I love Pearl Jam, and I'll fork out the money, but this is a terrible price. I don't know if it's price gouging and they know we'll pay, or if it's a result of their "do it yourself" business model, but either way it's overpriced.

I remember buying The Rolling Stones: The Biggest Bang, which is a 4 DVD set, when it first came out, for $29.99. I've bought seasons of TV shows (4-5 discs) when they first came out for anywhere between $19.99 to $30 when they first came out. I bought the complete Star Trek movie set (the original 6 movies and a bonus disc, totalling 7 DVD's) for $45 when it came out a couple of years ago. I've never seen a 3 disc set selling for anywhere approaching this amount.

Like I said, it may not be some big money conspiracy, it could just be the economics of their situation, but it is overpriced, whatever the reason behind it is.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Personally.. I will be buying the Blu-ray version.. just cause I want that third extra disc..cause yes.. we fans ARE alright and I'm really interested in seeing how they did that!!Plus.. who couldn't want EXTRA PJ?!?!! Seriously, this thing in my humble opinion ( and THAT is all it is folks is my opinion), will be righteous in the way them going over time is always righteous..wow .. I swear most of you sound like suburbanite brats!!!Nothing is ever enough, and yet you're so damned blighted...it's really sad..

baaaaaaaaaaahhh baaaaaaaaaah!!
  • Options

Because people don't want to spend $75 on a documentary with bonus footage, they're brats? Come down off your high horse.

It's fine that you're willing to spend that, I myself have not made a decision yet. But that is VERY pricey for a Blu-Ray set, considering that the "Kids are Twenty" footage is just the regular film without interviews. I want to see the interviews!
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    goldenegg wrote:
    bicyclejoe wrote:

Blu-Ray has both improved video and audio. The audio in this documentary is fantastic and will definitely benefit from the higher bitrate (crossing fingers for uncompressed audio).

There's also a good amount of recent video content which will take full advantage of the higher resolution.

This too is a very good point.

I wrote 10C inquiring about a single disc Bluray option. We'll see what they say.

EDIT: 10C reports that there will only be a deluxe option. I'm still gonna wait awhile before buying anything but it looks like it will be a DVD for me.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    A more important question (to me) is whether the Blu-Ray and DVD deluxe editions have the same content, aside from the different audio/video bitrate/qualities. I don't have a Blu-Ray player and don't really plan on getting one (I watch almost all my movies on my laptop, which is just fine by me). From the descriptions on the two box sets, it appears they have the same content, but has anyone heard anything about this? Are there even *more* bonus features on the Blu-Ray version?
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,786

Yeah. I love Pearl Jam, and I'll fork out the money, but this is a terrible price. I don't know if it's price gouging and they know we'll pay, or if it's a result of their "do it yourself" business model, but either way it's overpriced.

i love pearl jam as much as the next superfan but i will not be buying. i was going to buy it before i saw the 70+ price tag after shipping. everyone enjoy your PJ20.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    +1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    crying_baby.jpg

I don't know... all I see are some well thought out and written comments for both sides of the argument rather than any, and I assume what you're trying to convey here with this picture is, whining.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    It's fine that you're willing to spend that, I myself have not made a decision yet. But that is VERY pricey for a Blu-Ray set, considering that the "Kids are Twenty" footage is just the regular film without interviews. I want to see the interviews!
    Which is my big question...

Is the 'Kids Are Twenty' disc basically the same footage as Disc 1 with some subtle changes? If so... we're not really getting 4 hours of bonus features - just a 'regular cut' and a 'directors cut.'

Hopefully they'll clarify what's new on the 2nd/3rd disc in more detail, because right now I'm just not seeing how you get to 4+ hours of new bonus features.