Options

The Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

vampire guy going to sleep today down in texas. in 1998 he killed a 12 yr old boy & drank his blood. he told investigators during confession he tried removing the kid's head but it wouldn't come off. not a nice person here. he's been on death row 18 yrs. i don't know about that... he shoulda been put out of everyone's misery long ago

http://nypost.com/2016/04/05/vampire-killer-to-be-executed-for-grisly-murder-of-12-year-old-boy/

He started hearing voices that told him to do it... He needed a mental health facility, not death row. I think it's disgusting to condemn the mentally ill to death (of course the crime and what happened to the victim is disgusting too, but that is actually besides the point in the context of my views). I think the Texas courts are fucked up in as far as this goes. They simply chose to ignore the fact that he's mentally ill, or to dismiss it as irrelevant, which is a terrible precedent. Either way, that makes it so that the act of killing this person is purely out of spite.
    Of course, all of that relies on the idea that he's actually mentally ill and not just lying about that part for his defense..... However, IMO, that still makes the death penalty a spiteful act. It is ALWAYS all about revenge, which is just such an unenlightened way for a government in a country with a relatively advanced criminal justice system to behave.
    Mentally ill, huh?

How very convenient. Is there any history of it with the sick mutant? The story doesn't say and I don't really care to dive too deeply into this matter... he can fry.

Any... yes... any response we take in reaction to a crime (community hours, imprsionment, death, whatever) could be considered 'revenge' if that's what you wish to call it. The parents of the mutilated child are likely calling it justice.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,554
    edited April 2016

PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

vampire guy going to sleep today down in texas. in 1998 he killed a 12 yr old boy & drank his blood. he told investigators during confession he tried removing the kid's head but it wouldn't come off. not a nice person here. he's been on death row 18 yrs. i don't know about that... he shoulda been put out of everyone's misery long ago

http://nypost.com/2016/04/05/vampire-killer-to-be-executed-for-grisly-murder-of-12-year-old-boy/

He started hearing voices that told him to do it... He needed a mental health facility, not death row. I think it's disgusting to condemn the mentally ill to death (of course the crime and what happened to the victim is disgusting too, but that is actually besides the point in the context of my views). I think the Texas courts are fucked up in as far as this goes. They simply chose to ignore the fact that he's mentally ill, or to dismiss it as irrelevant, which is a terrible precedent. Either way, that makes it so that the act of killing this person is purely out of spite.
    Of course, all of that relies on the idea that he's actually mentally ill and not just lying about that part for his defense..... However, IMO, that still makes the death penalty a spiteful act. It is ALWAYS all about revenge, which is just such an unenlightened way for a government in a country with a relatively advanced criminal justice system to behave.
    Mentally ill, huh?

How very convenient. Is there any history of it with the sick mutant? The story doesn't say and I don't really care to dive too deeply into this matter... he can fry.

Any... yes... any response we take in reaction to a crime (community hours, imprsionment, death, whatever) could be considered 'revenge' if that's what you wish to call it. The parents of the mutilated child are likely calling it justice.
    I would actually consider putting someone in prison for life without parole is simply an act that guarantees the public's safety from the convict. There is no reason that revenge has to have anything to do with it. Since the death penalty isn't any more effective than life in prison without parole as far as public safety goes, I feel that that means the death penalty is just revenge while imprisonment is not.

Maybe the parents are glad about it, maybe not. But I'm sure you've learned here or elsewhere that it is very far from a given that the parents of murder victims support the death penalty, even when it comes to their own child's murderer. Many of them do not find any comfort in that. On the contrary - many say it actually made things worse for them. I know some want it, but don't just make that assumption and slip it in as part of your argument in support of capital punishment, because it doesn't hold up.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Having DP ensures innocent humans will be put to death. Yes yes there are open and shut cases but there will be mistakes. Fk, Avery debacle illustrates clearly.

Realize it feels good to get the bad guy but not healthy for society.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

Mentally ill, huh?

I would actually consider putting someone in prison for life without parole is simply an act that guarantees the public's safety from the convict. There is no reason that revenge has to have anything to do with it. Since the death penalty isn't any more effective than life in prison without parole as far as public safety goes, I feel that that means the death penalty is just revenge while imprisonment is not.

Maybe the parents are glad about it, maybe not. But I'm sure you've learned here or elsewhere that it is very far from a given that the parents of murder victims support the death penalty, even when it comes to their own child's murderer. Many of them do not find any comfort in that. On the contrary - many say it actually made things worse for them. I know some want it, but don't just make that assumption and slip it in as part of your argument in support of capital punishment, because it doesn't hold up.
    I made this exact same post numerous times over the many months of this thread. you may as well just save your breath, PJ Soul.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ^^^

Which point? Because both are not correct.

The overwhelming majority of cases I have read about where parents' children have been murdered by some sadistic bastard... they are happy to see the killer put to death. There are some that aren't comforted at all by such an act, but they are not 'many' compared to the alternative.

The other point you can't have one way. You can't say 'capital punishment' is revenge... and then say 'imprisonment isn't revenge'. Both are counter measures to a crime. Further... saying 'imprisoning someone safeguards society' might be true, however capital punishment safeguards society as well... and safeguards those in prison (inmates and guards). Sooo... it's actually a more effective safeguard when you wish to argue on those grounds.
  • Options

^^^

The overwhelming majority of cases I have read about where parents' children have been murdered by some sadistic bastard... they are happy to see the killer put to death. There are some that aren't comforted at all by such an act, but they are not 'many' compared to the alternative.

The other point you can't have one way. You can't say 'capital punishment' is revenge... and then say 'imprisonment isn't revenge'. Both are counter measures to a crime. Further... saying 'imprisoning someone safeguards society' might be true, however capital punishment safeguards society as well... and safeguards those in prison (inmates and guards). Sooo... it's actually a more effective safeguard when you wish to argue on those grounds.

None of what you say here makes too much sense, so I'm only going to bother saying that I totally disagree with everything said, especially the safe guard part, since innocent people are put on death row.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^

None of what you say here makes too much sense, so I'm only going to bother saying that I totally disagree with everything said, especially the safe guard part, since innocent people are put on death row.
    It makes a lot of sense. Don't pretend it's junk given its hard to refute.

The innocent people on Death Row fact is a significant one though- really the only one that makes me pause at all.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    its pretty well documented in this thread that I am not comfortable whatsoever with the death penalty, in fact it continues to trouble me greatly.

However that said, I can not muster up one iota of sympathy for the man executed earlier today. Regardless of my feelings generally on the subject, sometimes the crime is so repulsive I can accept the stance taken. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

But in a system that has the Death Penalty and uses it as it does, this is one of those cases it is really difficult to see an sensible objection to as much as it pains me to say that.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    the very deep, dark well of a hole one get pulled down into when going through grief is torture & there is no stopping this terrible tornado from taking one under. i imagine it can only get worse when it is one's murdered child.

we don't have the answers so we do what we do for now. until we are a better more perfect people some of us will be monstrous. sad stuff
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

its pretty well documented in this thread that I am not comfortable whatsoever with the death penalty, in fact it continues to trouble me greatly.

However that said, I can not muster up one iota of sympathy for the man executed earlier today. Regardless of my feelings generally on the subject, sometimes the crime is so repulsive I can accept the stance taken. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

But in a system that has the Death Penalty and uses it as it does, this is one of those cases it is really difficult to see an sensible objection to as much as it pains me to say that.

So thinking best thought per your concerns is two wrongs don't make a right.
    Surely this guy is a POS but using killing to punish a killer isn't good for society.

Killing this Idjut doesn't fix anything just tells society that killing is a solution to a problem and it's not.
    Add the guarantee that innocents will die if we continue death penalty and add the high costs.

Just not practical or good for anything other than relishing in revenge. Which isn't healthy.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

^^^

again and again and again....imprisonment is not revenge. it is the absolute least that needs to be done to protect society. if we could put them all on an island without being behind bars and let them roam about that island without possibility of escape, I'd be for that too.

putting a man to death just isn't necessary to protect society.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Sanders is against it,Clinton is for it. Its like hitting a child to show them that hitting is wrong.
  • Options
    Callen you and I are on the same page
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Callen you and I are on the same page

Particularly in loving some PJ. :)
  • Options

^^^

again and again and again....imprisonment is not revenge. it is the absolute least that needs to be done to protect society. if we could put them all on an island without being behind bars and let them roam about that island without possibility of escape, I'd be for that too.

again and again and again... the death penalty is not revenge. it is the appropriate form of justice, in this case, to deal with a sick bastard that mutilated a child. And then tried to use the lame defence that he wa shearing voices and he was mentally ill (despite the fact that he had an accomplice).

he hacked his limb off. scalped him. drank his blood while the 12 year old boy was still alive and pleading for his life. he then tried to bury him in a shallow grave to cove rup his obscenity. he can die. internet, books, a fan club, hot meals, clean bedding, and someone doing his laundry for him is too good for such a heinous act. if you think it is... that's your problem- I'm happy the prick is gone.

if we could all just live nicely with each other and not kill people's kids, I'd be for that.
  • Options

^^^

again and again and again... the death penalty is not revenge. it is the appropriate form of justice, in this case, to deal with a sick bastard that mutilated a child. And then tried to use the lame defence that he wa shearing voices and he was mentally ill (despite the fact that he had an accomplice).

he hacked his limb off. scalped him. drank his blood while the 12 year old boy was still alive and pleading for his life. he then tried to bury him in a shallow grave to cove rup his obscenity. he can die. internet, books, a fan club, hot meals, clean bedding, and someone doing his laundry for him is too good for such a heinous act. if you think it is... that's your problem- I'm happy the prick is gone.

if we could all just live nicely with each other and not kill people's kids, I'd be for that.
    TB Your post oozes with the stickiness of revenge.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    "I'm happy the prick is gone." Yeeaaahhh. It's not revenge at all. Gleeful revenge, no less. :neutral:

I don't know why people confuse being against the death penalty with caring about murderers (who aren't mentally ill or mentally disabled of course. Many on death row are one or both of those things). That isn't the case at all. It's about how the government conducts itself and its motives. I actually don't give a shit if 30 loves the murder of murderers. I care when a government kills people out of spite though. And I care much much more when doing so trumps keeping innocent people from being murdered by said government. Forget about the death of one innocent person. Simply one innocent person spending any time on death row is reason enough for the death penalty to be banned.
  • Options
    So many reasons.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

"I'm happy the prick is gone." Yeeaaahhh. It's not revenge at all. Gleeful revenge, no less. :neutral:

I don't know why people confuse being against the death penalty with caring about murderers (who aren't mentally ill or mentally disabled of course. Many on death row are one or both of those things). That isn't the case at all. It's about how the government conducts itself and its motives. I actually don't give a shit if 30 loves the murder of murderers. I care when a government kills people out of spite though. And I care much much more when doing so trumps keeping innocent people from being murdered by said government. Forget about the death of one innocent person. Simply one innocent person spending any time on death row is reason enough for the death penalty to be banned.

And I don't care if you wish to council and support the poor poor murderer of a child or if you think that 'prick' is too strong a term.

I'm happy that justice has been served. I wish that we didn't need to figure out what to do with people such as this, however... periodically... we are presented with people that hardly act like people.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

PJ_Soul said:

And I don't care if you wish to council and support the poor poor murderer of a child or if you think that 'prick' is too strong a term.
    So you are just choosing to completely ignore my statement in the very post you just copied that says I don't in any way feel like this? That's irritating as hell, but okay.
    The strength of the word prick has nothing to do with anything.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

So you are just choosing to completely ignore my statement in the very post you just copied that says I don't in any way feel like this? That's irritating as hell, but okay.
    he simply cannot understand, as you mentioned, that being against the death penalty does not equate in any shape or form to sympathy for the "poor poor murderers". it's laughable.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

^^^

it being the appropriate form of justice is your opinion, not fact. you continue to confuse the two.

no, actually, it's not my problem. it's a societal problem that so many think like you do. we will never evolve as a peaceful species so long as people continue to think that this is an appropriate form of justice. the death of someone, anyone, making you happy is what I define as sick, to be honest with you.

you don't see the parallels between the murderer who takes pleasure in the death of someone and a bystander who takes pleasure in the death of someone?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    To be honest, whilst we don't agree on the subject , I've always admired how 30 conducts himself on this thread.
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

To be honest, whilst we don't agree on the subject , I've always admired how 30 conducts himself on this thread.

:neutral:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

he simply cannot understand, as you mentioned, that being against the death penalty does not equate in any shape or form to sympathy for the "poor poor murderers". it's laughable.
    Lol. Typical.

Soul says I actually don't give a shit if 30 loves the murder of murderers... and Yeeaaahhh. It's not revenge at all. Gleeful revenge, no less. .

When I fling a bit of mud (hyperbole) back... some opponents can't deal with it. They get their feelings hurt a little.

Let me try and break this down for you: If someone essentially calls me a fiendish ghoul for approving of the execution of a f**king freak that mutilated a 12 year old child... then I think it's reasonable to call them a poor poor murderer sympathizer if I'm so inclined.

That's what's laughable, man. The double standard that you can't even recognize- so blinded by your value set that a different one just simply cannot exist.

Keep loving the murderers, man... and I'll keep frothing at the mouth- orgasming every time one is put down.

F**king goofy.
  • Options

^^^

it being the appropriate form of justice is your opinion, not fact. you continue to confuse the two.

no, actually, it's not my problem. it's a societal problem that so many think like you do. we will never evolve as a peaceful species so long as people continue to think that this is an appropriate form of justice. the death of someone, anyone, making you happy is what I define as sick, to be honest with you.

you don't see the parallels between the murderer who takes pleasure in the death of someone and a bystander who takes pleasure in the death of someone?

There you go again. Who's taking 'pleasure' in any of this? I expressed I was happy that justice was served.

I would have preferred that that shithead never pleasured himself killing that child. Given he did... well f**k... now what? You'd like to clothe and feed him. I'm not there with you.
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Cheers.

But I'm about to go sideways to be honest.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    pdalowsky said:

I would generally agree, but I think he seems to be purposefully ignoring comments right now and supplanting baseless falsehoods in their place, which isn't super awesome.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

pdalowsky said:

I would generally agree, but I think he seems to be purposefully ignoring comments right now and supplanting baseless falsehoods in their place, which isn't super awesome.
    To the contrary... I'd say it was you earlier that essentially dismissed a post as making no sense when it actually made much sense and directly countered two points you tried to make.

I don't feel I've ignored any comments. I've even acknowledged that the fact an innocent person could wrongfully be executed is reason to pause when considering the DP.

If there is a specific comment you are wishing me to speak to... could you do so again and I'll address it.

And if you could also clarify what you mean by baseless falsehoods... I'd be curious to know specifically what you are directing such a comment at.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Sigh. I'm over it, but I am talking about this comment: "And I don't care if you wish to council and support the poor poor murderer of a child or if you think that 'prick' is too strong a term."

Which you posted right after I said that I have no sympathy at all for murderers (who aren't mentally disabled or ill).

FWIW, saying that something makes no sense isn't dismissing it. If I'd expanded I would have just been repeating myself.