Options

The Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited May 2015
    Jimmy. In Texas and we want to execute shoplifters. So yeah think it's a geographical thing.

The Nebraska vote gave me hope then............the Veto. Arghhhh.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    The veto has been overridden. The death penalty has been has been outlawed in Nebraska.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,031
    JimmyV said:

The veto has been overridden. The death penalty has been has been outlawed in Nebraska.

how does that work?? that's awesome! I was just thinking that one man should not be able to veto anything. that's incredible!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994

JimmyV said:

how does that work?? that's awesome! I was just thinking that one man should not be able to veto anything. that's incredible!

Varies from state to state and at the federal level, but essentially:

1) The legislature passes the bill and sends it to the governor/president

2) The governor/president either signs it into law or vetoes

3) If there is a veto, the legislature can override that veto if a certain percentage of members vote in favor (in Nebraska's case it took 30 senators) and at that point the bill becomes law.

Checks and balances.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Fuck yeah.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    ^^^^ Well, that's one bright point in an otherwise not-so-bright day I'm having :smile:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,418
    Led by the GOP caucus good work ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 760
    Why is gay rights more important than the death penalty?

How is the government still killing people while.............
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    otter said:

Do you see the issues as being related, otter, or are you just speaking to the relative energy being put into advocacy/protests on the part of gay rights vs. abolition of the death penalty?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    otter said:

You make it sound as if the government is randomly selecting people for execution. I'm not so sure trivializing some of the horrific acts some 'people' on death row as you have is appropriate.

You do realize that some of these 'people' have raped, tortured, and murdered children... yes? In many people's minds... these 'people' deserve a punishment a little more severe than the punishment we typically dole out to drug smugglers and car thieves.

A gay rights movement concerns itself with establishing equality for people who have done nothing to anyone outside of differing from the 'acceptable' sexual orientation.

I'll spend my energies advocating for innocent people discriminated against before I'd spend an ounce of energy advocating for people who rape and murder infants.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    TB,

Agree if I had one cause would pick equal rights as well but.......

Killing is still wrong....... period.

Your buddy

Callen.
  • Options
    callen said:

TB,

Agree if I had one cause would pick equal rights as well but.......

Killing is still wrong....... period.

Your buddy

Callen.

If only some mutants understood this... we wouldn't need to debate this topic.

If sick bastards would leave women and other people's children alone... we wouldn't have to sit here and wonder what to do with them in all their obscenity.
  • Options
    Rhode Island serial murderer, Craig Price, just needs a chance. And he can be greatful we love to give chances to guys like Craig.

He was only 13 when he murdered one woman. He was 15 when he murdered a mom and her two daughters 10 and 8 (stabbed over 30 times).

RI law protected juvenile criminals with a very forgiving leniency policy that kids only serve to the age of 21. Of course, Price f**ked things up and continues to f**k things up that has prevented the courts from releasing him to date. For example, he stabs prison guards with homemade knives or he goes on tirades in the courts where he accuses the media of making him out to be a boogeyman.

Poor guy. He's right. People that slaughter families and never establish the fact that such an event is horrific are not monsters. They're victims- just as he says.

In 2020, coming to a neighbourhood near you, Craig Price. What could possibly go wrong?

http://www.turnto10.com/story/28710313/i-team-serial-killer-threatens-prison-guards-mentions-murders-from-1980s
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

Rhode Island serial murderer, Craig Price, just needs a chance. And he can be greatful we love to give chances to guys like Craig.

He was only 13 when he murdered one woman. He was 15 when he murdered a mom and her two daughters 10 and 8 (stabbed over 30 times).

RI law protected juvenile criminals with a very forgiving leniency policy that kids only serve to the age of 21. Of course, Price f**ked things up and continues to f**k things up that has prevented the courts from releasing him to date. For example, he stabs prison guards with homemade knives or he goes on tirades in the courts where he accuses the media of making him out to be a boogeyman.

Poor guy. He's right. People that slaughter families and never establish the fact that such an event is horrific are not monsters. They're victims- just as he says.

In 2020, coming to a neighbourhood near you, Craig Price. What could possibly go wrong?

http://www.turnto10.com/story/28710313/i-team-serial-killer-threatens-prison-guards-mentions-murders-from-1980s

somebody(another victim) will pay for the states mistake.

Godfather.

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,786
    Any thoughts here on the Richard Glossip case? Surely there is one case that will bring some doubt to even the most ardent death penalty proponent

Anyway would love to hear people's views. I only know what I have read about the case on certain sites and being in the UK the coverage is almost non existent ... Although funnily enough with the date approving the interest over here is gathering pace ....
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Any thoughts here on the Richard Glossip case? Surely there is one case that will bring some doubt to even the most ardent death penalty proponent

Anyway would love to hear people's views. I only know what I have read about the case on certain sites and being in the UK the coverage is almost non existent ... Although funnily enough with the date approving the interest over here is gathering pace ....

Been established that pro death penalty advocates are okay for a few innocents to be thrown in to satisfy thirst for blood revenge.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,261
    callen said:

pdalowsky said:

Been established that pro death penalty advocates are okay for a few innocents to be thrown in to satisfy thirst for blood revenge.
    you know, gotta break a few eggs sometimes, right?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    callen said:

pdalowsky said:

Fucking crazy. I don't know much but I do know his conviction seems far from guaranteed. We can only hope common sense prevails in the next few days. I'm not betting on it though.
  • Options
    callen said:

pdalowsky said:

Geezuz Christ Callen.

No it hasn't. It's f**king irritating when you drag the discussion down to this level.

What would a guy like me say now? Am I supposed to state that people opposed to murderers such as Clifford Olson being executed value Olson, care nothing for his victims who should just 'get over it already' instead of trying to seek justice, and feel that his crimes were mistakes that we should simply look past while we try and rehabilitate him to be a productive member of society. They feel sorry for Olson? They think state funded university degrees, waffles, exercise and internet usage is justice for raping, murdering, and mutilating children?

Innocent people sentenced to death is horrific, but this situation speaks to the processes before sentencing. The penalty phase is after the error has been made. If you don't want innocent people executed.. then don't wrongly convict- be thorough in the investigative and trial processes. But in my mind... the fact to the matter is as follows: some people commit crimes so heinous that death is an appropriate sentence for them.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    The death penalty: the only issue where I'm undecided. not sure which is worse: capitol punishment or a lifetime in a little ass cell.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

The death penalty: the only issue where I'm undecided. not sure which is worse: capitol punishment or a lifetime in a little ass cell.

At least if we keep em alive we can release if innocent.
  • Options

callen said:

pdalowsky said:

Geezuz Christ Callen.

No it hasn't. It's f**king irritating when you drag the discussion down to this level.

What would a guy like me say now? Am I supposed to state that people opposed to murderers such as Clifford Olson being executed value Olson, care nothing for his victims who should just 'get over it already' instead of trying to seek justice, and feel that his crimes were mistakes that we should simply look past while we try and rehabilitate him to be a productive member of society. They feel sorry for Olson? They think state funded university degrees, waffles, exercise and internet usage is justice for raping, murdering, and mutilating children?

Innocent people sentenced to death is horrific, but this situation speaks to the processes before sentencing. The penalty phase is after the error has been made. If you don't want innocent people executed.. then don't wrongly convict- be thorough in the investigative and trial processes. But in my mind... the fact to the matter is as follows: some people commit crimes so heinous that death is an appropriate sentence for them.
    Knew you'd like my post.
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

pdalowsky said:

Geezuz Christ Callen.

Knew you'd like my post.
    Yah you got me in a huffy moment LOL!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    callen said:

mcgruff10 said:

At least if we keep em alive we can release if innocent.
    Excellent point!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    30 hours to go
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

30 hours to go

This case stinks.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/12/opinions/prejean-glossip-case/index.html

We can't be sentencing people to prison terms- let alone death- for such questionable evidence ( if that's what someone wants to call it).

Oklahoma has to have at least one reasonably intelligent person of influence to put the brakes on this calamity.
  • Options

pdalowsky said:

30 hours to go

This case stinks.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/12/opinions/prejean-glossip-case/index.html

We can't be sentencing people to prison terms- let alone death- for such questionable evidence ( if that's what someone wants to call it).

Oklahoma has to have at least one reasonably intelligent person of influence to put the brakes on this calamity.
    you would think and hope so, but I actually strongly doubt it.

too many egos involved, not to mention the loss of face, and the bizarre politics around it.

How its got this far is a mystery in what appears on the face if it to be one mans word over another
  • Options

but it's all part of the same process. they are not independent processes. they are seperate, but not independent. you can't seperate the two and blame the part that doesn't work. especially if the part that doesn't work has a direct influence on the part you think is necessary.

in any other facet of life, if step 2 is flawed, you don't keep going to step 3, you stop further steps until step 2 is no longer flawed.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    it is so disgusting to me that putting a man to death has more to do with saving face and politics than actual justice. beyond comprehension.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com