Options

just watched pj20 the movie

12346»

Comments

• Options
    pureoc wrote:
    Wanted to strangle Rooney though. Anybody else?...What a bag!

ABSOLUTELY!!

It's Andy Rooney what did you expect. He always complains about everything. lol
  • Options
    ItsOKaye wrote:
    I was glued to the screen the whole time...didnt want it to finish. I could have watched another 2 hours worth...

I just like your picture.....of my sign lol. I still have it

ITS OKAYYYYYYYYYYYY

scott
    I hope you dont mind me using it! (although I wish it had an "e" on the end) :)

Nice to hear that they're playing it this tour....I like to think that its for me! :lol:

Kaye
    Im so happy with my righteous self..
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    To me the only good thing bout the movie was the Andy Wood stuff. After those 30 min it was stuff I already knew bout. I wanted more of the break up with Dave A and the power shifting from Stone to Ed. I guess being Crowe is a friend and all i wasn't gonna get a true documentary. To me it was way happy go lucky. I loved it a lot just wish it was more of a true documentary. Also it was just so fucking weird to see Cornell cry when he was talking bout. Also it's weird how Andy always wanted what the band is now and yet Ed always wanted to be a small club band.

Thats what makes it difficult to please everyone. !0 minutes on the Andy Wood story would have been enough for me.

Btw- did anyone who was at msg 2 get chills seeing that betterman footage on the big screen? Also i've never sat first did dead center for a movie lol.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    the singles premier show footage was HILARIOUS.

and i loved ed singing breath in that security guard's ear after he was roughing up that kid.

would of liked more dave dirt, and a litle more detail about how they almost broke up around '98 after ed really starting distancing himself from the band. would have been good to hear eddie's reasoning from his mouth rather than mike just summarizing that period.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    would of liked more dave dirt, and a litle more detail about how they almost broke up around '98 after ed really starting distancing himself from the band. would have been good to hear eddie's reasoning from his mouth rather than mike just summarizing that period.

Yeah, does anyone know anything more about this. I believe in the movie Mike said he thought Ed was embarassed (or something) by the other band members? I've never heard about this before. What we he embarassed about?
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    the singles premier show footage was HILARIOUS.

and i loved ed singing breath in that security guard's ear after he was roughing up that kid.

ed singing breath was one of my fav parts. i loved how you see a switch go off and his singing changes to super intense then right in securities face was priceless.

also LOVED when showing the temple footage and stone says something like...damn our guy can sing pretty good too. then...boom --- eddie comes in on his verse.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    As a huge fan of both Pearl Jam and Cameron Crowe, I was disappointed. My review in this morning's The Oregonian (the film critic "couldn't put two Pearl Jam songs together" so he asked the biggest Pearl Jam fan in the newsroom to review "PJ20"):
    http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index. ... on_cr.html

SPOILER ALERT - JUST WANNA REPLY TO THE REVIEW***

I think you missed the point big time on all three of your gripes in your review:
    - Roskilde was dealt with in adequate detail without being dwelt upon to the extent that it became a way of engendering too much emotion into the audience to make them relate more to the film. It would have been easy to do a 5 minute piano montage but it was done right, it was emotional without being over the top.
    - Addiction. Again it's too easy to buy the audience with that rock n roll cliche, the typical story of sex drugs and rock n roll. And I expect that people working a recovery program don't generally throw their stories out on motion pictures. It's kind of a rule. It was touched upon and that is appropriate enough without us needing to pry into the details of another person's personal issues.
    - The fact that we really don't know what happened with the drummers is part of the joy of following the band. Do we really need the answer to every question? i thought that glossing over it again was a nice kind of in-joke and I don't really want a warts and all account of what happened. Sometimes it's good not to know something. The mystery adds to the attraction.

And, lastly, calling it a fanboy flick: To expect a guy who has been with the band since their second show, who put them in a film he made and has been commissioned by the band to make a documentary for them to not make a film praising the band in all ways is pretty naive. What on earth did you expect?!

To add to this as well;

I think that this is where the book comes in as a companion piece to the film.
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Options
    eladdereladder Posts: 414
    GD274660 wrote:
    eladder wrote:
    our guys pretty good too (stone)

Actually it was, "Our guy's pretty fucking good too" :)

Got big applause in Columbus.

I gave PG version. That and eddies "breath" on security guard got the biggest reaction at premiere.
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
  • Options
    Ample Jar wrote:
    rival. wrote:

Yeah, does anyone know anything more about this. I believe in the movie Mike said he thought Ed was embarassed (or something) by the other band members? I've never heard about this before. What we he embarassed about?

I think it had to do with Ed wanting things to be more organic as far as driving that van show to show while the band was flying. So i think the guys were simply like "what are we doing wrong?" when really it was about ed feeling comfortable with all of the fame and simpky dealing w it. Thats my view at least. Mike talked about how ed wanted fugazi but how that while they are great and all, that wasnt going to be pj.
  • Options
    my girlfriend is a "non-fan" and LOVED the film. i brought her to hamilton last week for her first show and she couldn't believe the intensity of the band and the fans.

great job CAMERON.
  • Options
    stone is a master
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    what was the coffee mug stone showed that was dirty? we were all laughing too much at that part to notice the PJ keepsake that it was?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    what was the coffee mug stone showed that was dirty? we were all laughing too much at that part to notice the PJ keepsake that it was?

Some mexico city pearl jam mug. Haha.
  • Options
    ItsOKaye wrote:
    ItsOKaye wrote:
    I was glued to the screen the whole time...didnt want it to finish. I could have watched another 2 hours worth...

ITS OKAYYYYYYYYYYYY

scott

Nice to hear that they're playing it this tour....I like to think that its for me! :lol:

NP but they are clearly playing for me..........just not at the shows i attend SMH

SCOTT

Kaye
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    Overall, I thought it was kind of , "meh." I'm not saying it was bad. Seeing the old footage is worth the price of admission alone. (Especially the "Singles" party.) I thought a lot of the details were kind of left vague. I was kind of put off that they didn't have any of the other past members giving their two cents. To me, it felt a little weak compared to "Foo Fighters: Back and Forth," which I felt was more opening to the audience. I read a few posts earlier about "PJ Twenty" glossing over things like the substance abuse. Why not tackle that conversation? In Mike's case they could have totally approached it like, " I had problems, I went to rehab and Mad Season was the end result." There, a positive spin.
  • Options
    DK69493DK69493 Arlington, VA Posts: 15
    edited May 2021
    Post edited by DK69493 on
  • Options
    CocoyrCocoyr Manila, Philippines Posts: 114
    Did it show footages of their 1995 concert in the Philippines?
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,065
    I enjoyed it. I liked the early stuff a lot especially the Mother Love Bone stuff and when Pearl Jam was on The Singles party was funny as shit :lol: Little disappointed that they didn't cover the last half of the decade as much (No Avocado mention at all :?: ). But i'm guessing there's tons more in the special DVD edition. I wanted more :D
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    DK69493 wrote:
    Did anyone else find the choice of opening the movie with footage of Ed dressed in drag super lame? ... That stuff is really just none of our d*mn business.

You know what else is none of our damn business? Spoilers that people drop, on those who haven't had the pleasure of seeing it yet.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    Jerome230 wrote:
    DK69493 wrote:
    Did anyone else find the choice of opening the movie with footage of Ed dressed in drag super lame? ... That stuff is really just none of our d*mn business.

You know what else is none of our damn business? Spoilers that people drop, on those who haven't had the pleasure of seeing it yet.

Then why the fuck are said people reading a thread called "just watched pj20 the movie"?? Practically every other post in this thread is a spoiler mate.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,960
    Because this doesn't work in here...
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options

ITS OKAYYYYYYYYYYYY

scott[/quote]

NP but they are clearly playing for me..........just not at the shows i attend SMH

SCOTT

Kaye[/quote][/quote]

I can hear them all the way from Australia!
    Im so happy with my righteous self..
  • Options
    JimNastics wrote:
    Jerome230 wrote:
    DK69493 wrote:

Then why the fuck are said people reading a thread called "just watched pj20 the movie"?? Practically every other post in this thread is a spoiler mate.

Now thats hilarious. Thread called "just watched movie" getting complaints for spoiling movie. These have to be the same people who complain about setlists.
  • Options
    Overall, I thought it was kind of , "meh." I'm not saying it was bad. Seeing the old footage is worth the price of admission alone. (Especially the "Singles" party.) I thought a lot of the details were kind of left vague. I was kind of put off that they didn't have any of the other past members giving their two cents. To me, it felt a little weak compared to "Foo Fighters: Back and Forth," which I felt was more opening to the audience. I read a few posts earlier about "PJ Twenty" glossing over things like the substance abuse. Why not tackle that conversation? In Mike's case they could have totally approached it like, " I had problems, I went to rehab and Mad Season was the end result." There, a positive spin.

I totally drank the pj20 kool aid and i havent said a negative thing thus far but your point about it including old band members perspectives is an excellent point. Its obvious the guys still hold the strings which is just how it is. This was a huge step in letting us in to a considerable degree. The book is too.
  • Options
    Jen07Jen07 Posts: 116
    I'm still giggling about seeing Ed in drag! He makes such a pretty girl! :lol: and for the guys complaining about not enough content - why do you think there's a special edition dvd with extra footage? If they included everything we wanted to see in the movie we'd still be sitting in the cinema busting for a pee! Top marks to Crowe and the PJ boys :clap::clap:
    Perth Nov 14, 2009
    Perth April 1, 2011 (EV solo)
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,948
    Smellyman wrote:
    What more could they talk about drummers? and the power shift from Ed to Stone?

What would be interesting or possibly come out of that?

If they focused more on that in the doc I think it would've been a tremendous waste of time
    its a documentary bout the bands 20 years. it should show the good and bad and ugly, not all happy flowery bs. the power shift damn near made stone quit. look at how stone answered the question bout the power shift, he just brushed it off and his facial expression changed. the who showed the good, bad and ugly in their documentary. hell pete even says i hated everyone in the fucking band and rode roger hard. he didnt say it word for word like that but it was something along those lines.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Loved it!

PJ20... what does the 20 stand for? 20 years.

It's essentially an anniversary party to celebrate making it 20 years as a band.

When was the last anniversary party you attended where dirty laundry is aired in detail. I had no expectation that they would actually bring on Dave A and spend 15 minutes getting to the bottom of what we already know. Or that Mike was gonna give a 10 minute confessional about his addiction.

Happy anniversary Pearl Jam! PJ20 is a hell of a party!!