Options

just watched pj20 the movie

Comments

• Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    Carlislebj wrote:
    Loved it! had to take a leak about 45minutes in, but held that f#cker in till the end. Couldn't leave and didn't wanna miss even a second.

+1 I knew I shouldn't of gotten a large Coke!
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    Even better the 2nd time around.
  • Options
    I was reading that some people were getting chucked up and I didnt see why thy would be. Then I saw it and they got to the clip of betterman from msg 2 and I looked over at my girlfriend and said "I was there." that got me.
    The Scary Monster
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    Just got back from Atlanta showing and just simply blown away. Best thing I have seen in a real long time. PJ on the big screen was just fucking amazing. Thanks to everyone involved in making this.

Best part for me was Stone finding his Grammy in the basement. Priceless
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,036
    Loved it....

Saw it in Indy....some total dickheads sat behind me and pissed me off talking and whistling but other than that it was perfect
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,197
    DB41 wrote:
    Even better the 2nd time around.

For sure. :)

Though was a little disappointed with the sound coming from the speakers here @ the theatre. The weird thing was it was played on a PS3. A Blu-ray ROM was played. We saw it when it was getting ready to be played @ 7pm.

The sound coming out of the Princess Of Wales in Toronto was fucking amazing. Top of the line sound in that place for this film.
  • Options
    I laughed, I cried, I fucking loved it.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Options
    Oh yeah took a casual fan with me and they loved it.

Also the line getting into the 9:30 show was into the fucking parking lot. It was like being at a show kinda sorta. Running into friends all around. Just a great night
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

• Options
    AB60066AB60066 Columbus, OH Posts: 16
    I hardly post on the message boards but I need to post something tonight after seeing PJ20. I have been a fan of this band since 1991 when I first heard Alive as freshman in college. I just attended my 64th and 65th show in Toronto. This movie just hit home for me. This band has been such a huge part of my life and has brought me such wonderful memories. I am not sure it was possible but I I love this band more today then I ever have. What a great movie!! In my opinion Cameron Crowe has caputured the essence of Pearl Jam with this documentary. Here is to another 20 years!
  • Options
    Rock_Princess_18Rock_Princess_18 Chicago, IL Posts: 304
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Of course us fanatics will love it :lol: But still good to hear...

My question is...will I regret advising my parents to go and see it? Did anyone bring a non or casual fan? My dad at least loved Ten, but I don't think my mom has heard any songs aside from Just Breathe because it was at the end of the movie "Buck".

Rossum- I brought my Mom. She's a casual fan and she's only a fan because of me. She is starting to recognize some songs though and she gets super excited when she hears something she knows! Lol However, she really enjoyed the movie a lot! I think it could really appeal to any fan of music... it was a very "rock and roll journey" type of film... I think it would appeal to anyone who's interested in music etc.

Or maybe I'm biased ;););):lol::lol::lol::lol:

But really- I would definitely recommend this to the casual fan because it might help them become an even bigger fan!!!
    "All the things that others want for me.. can't buy what I want because it's free!"

9/13/2005 Hamilton, ON; 9/19/2005 Toronto, ON; 5/10/2006 Toronto, ON; 6/23/2006 Pittsburgh, PA; 8/5/2007 Chicago, IL; 6/24/2008 New York, NY; 6/25/2008 New York, NY; 8/21/2009 Toronto, ON; 8/23/2009 Chicago, IL; 8/24/2009 Chicago, IL; 5/9/2010 Cleveland, OH; 5/10/2010 Buffalo, NY; 5/20/2010 New York, NY; 5/21/2010 New York, NY; 9/3/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/4/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/11/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/12/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/15/2011 Hamilton, ON; 9/2/2012 Philadelphia, PA; 10/12/2013 Buffalo, NY; 10/18/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/19/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/17/2014 Moline, IL; 10/20/2014 Milwaukee, WI; 4/18/2016 Hampton, VA; 4/21/2016 Columbia, SC; 5/1/2016 New York, NY; 5/2/2016 New York, NY; 8/20/2016 Chicago, IL; 8/22/2016 Chicago, IL
  • Options
    AZAAZA Posts: 86
    Saw it last night and I loved every second of the journey the movie takes us on. My only complaint is the super over the Taipei version of Last Exit said Feb 94 when it was actually Feb 95. Cameron Crowe made a great film, can't wait for the blu-ray!
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    This is 20 years of Pearl Jam crammed into 2 hours people! The conception of anything in life and how they become what they are is of extreme relevance. It would have been great to divulge into Riot Act, Self-titled and Backspacer but at those points in the band's timeless journey it was just Pearl Jam being Pearl Jam...definitely material for a sequel but not necessarily this movie which explained beautifully HOW Pearl Jam became the band we love so much today.

I really liked how the movie did not talk about the success of Pearl Jam but rather who they are as individuals and evolving as a group.

I was absolutely glued to every bit and so many times wanted to hit pause, with the thought of "Wait! What was that?!" I cannot wait for the blu-ray.
  • Options
    eladdereladder Posts: 414
    Khuntza wrote:
    What is better than seeing a movie about your favourite band? Being in the movie... Twice! :-)

Twice? Well I'm impressed.. I figure you were the Aussie girl interviewed, 2nd time saying something about thanking the band
    and how much they mean to people?

Yes, that was me, although I didn't hear much, the people I was with were cheering. That was my voice at the end of the trailer too. I'm just glad the band know how much I appreciate them ;-)

i am so happy you wrote on here. when youre talking about the band i lost it. i guess it was that i just feel the same way and the way you said it just made me very emotional. its obvious that your sincerity came across in a very heavy way and positively impacted the film. thanks so much!!!! you rock!!!!
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
  • Options
    AB60066 wrote:
    I hardly post on the message boards but I need to post something tonight after seeing PJ20. I have been a fan of this band since 1991 when I first heard Alive as freshman in college. I just attended my 64th and 65th show in Toronto. This movie just hit home for me. This band has been such a huge part of my life and has brought me such wonderful memories. I am not sure it was possible but I I love this band more today then I ever have. What a great movie!! In my opinion Cameron Crowe has caputured the essence of Pearl Jam with this documentary. Here is to another 20 years!

Well said my friend... Had same experience hearing Alive at a party as a freshman also. 42 shows and a fucking kick ass movie later, it stills sends chills down my spine.

• Options
    KimbaKimba Posts: 54
    How awesome was it to enter a movie theater with Pearl Jam being the house music? Very awesome indeed! I couldn't turn off the smile which spread across my face. Apparently there were more of us in our theater seats than there were attendees for the Blondie concert going on at the Filmore across the street (sorry Deb, I gotta see my boys' story play....) Well done Mr. Crowe! Thanks for the memories......that was grand.

I wonder if Eddie burned that God awful mess of a shirt he was wearing at the Singles release event... :crazy:
    "We were but stones, your light made us stars"
  • Options
    AB60066 wrote:

Wow, I could have wrote this myself. Exactly how I feel.
    Loved it, love them.
    And I saw myself during Alive at the end!! Glad to be a tiny part of this awesome film.
    "Those who dance are called insane by people who don't hear the music."
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    As a huge fan of both Pearl Jam and Cameron Crowe, I was disappointed. My review in this morning's The Oregonian (the film critic "couldn't put two Pearl Jam songs together" so he asked the biggest Pearl Jam fan in the newsroom to review "PJ20"):
    http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index. ... on_cr.html

SPOILER ALERT - JUST WANNA REPLY TO THE REVIEW***

I think you missed the point big time on all three of your gripes in your review:
    - Roskilde was dealt with in adequate detail without being dwelt upon to the extent that it became a way of engendering too much emotion into the audience to make them relate more to the film. It would have been easy to do a 5 minute piano montage but it was done right, it was emotional without being over the top.
    - Addiction. Again it's too easy to buy the audience with that rock n roll cliche, the typical story of sex drugs and rock n roll. And I expect that people working a recovery program don't generally throw their stories out on motion pictures. It's kind of a rule. It was touched upon and that is appropriate enough without us needing to pry into the details of another person's personal issues.
    - The fact that we really don't know what happened with the drummers is part of the joy of following the band. Do we really need the answer to every question? i thought that glossing over it again was a nice kind of in-joke and I don't really want a warts and all account of what happened. Sometimes it's good not to know something. The mystery adds to the attraction.

And, lastly, calling it a fanboy flick: To expect a guy who has been with the band since their second show, who put them in a film he made and has been commissioned by the band to make a documentary for them to not make a film praising the band in all ways is pretty naive. What on earth did you expect?!

AGREED. some people just want to hate. And if you didnt think the movie had enough GET THE BOOK. it has more detail on everything. the drummer situation is touched on in the book. some will always want more. think of how cleverly this was made. like how they transitioned the tmaster "put it on the record" to actual vinyl scene. just one little thing but was brilliant. too many great things to mention. and the doc has a happy ending because things are pretty great now!!! i mean, did you go to pj20? these guys are happy! hope thats cool w everyone. crowe is an admitted fan of the band so i dont know what people expect. its more info that we've ever come close to getting previously from the actual band.
  • Options
    MFCarissa wrote:
    same here!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    "Pearl Jam are not just a band, they are a choice, and if you make that choice, you become one of the few lucky people on this planet to have your life enriched by the greatest gift that music ever gave" -- substitute

To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy

Pearl Jam is the Boxer. We're just happy to be the bag -- Aaron Cunningham,Fanviews '98
  • Options
    Loved that part: "Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there but there's much more than this. :evil: "

♥♥♥♥♥
    "Pearl Jam are not just a band, they are a choice, and if you make that choice, you become one of the few lucky people on this planet to have your life enriched by the greatest gift that music ever gave" -- substitute

To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy

Pearl Jam is the Boxer. We're just happy to be the bag -- Aaron Cunningham,Fanviews '98
  • Options
    Such an amazing movie! It was a big roller coaster ride of emotions for me. I remember so many things from those early days as well, it brought back so many memories. I still remember staying up late in 1991 and 1992, waiting for an interview on Headbanger's Ball or so, recording it on VHS tape, seeing the Singles Party on MTV live, I remember how I felt when I saw the Pinkpop concert when Eddie climbed the Camera Pole and jumped into the audience, the Black version during the Unplugged session...all these things made a huge impression on me when I "lived" those moments. To relive them now was so emotional. Great! It made me realize I really grew up with this band, and each album stands for a certain period in my life as well. I found the whole Eddie's father and Release footage so touching, I felt some tears there, and the Roskilde moment. I still remember seeing those news images on TV, and feeling the pain. The pure aggression of those early days combined with the powerful Alive version towards the end. I am so happy this band is still playing. I met Mike McCready 3 times in 2003 in Seattle, and one of the times, we drank coffee together. We talked about various things, and one of the nice things I noticed was, how "normal, down to earth" he was, how kind and funny. It speaks for all the guys. I now have even more respect for Stone as well. You, me, We're all still alive!
    "I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.."
  • Options
    MFCarissa wrote:

This says it all. :clap:
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Maybe the only movie I've ever been to where there was rousing applause, laughter, and singing during the show.

Just wonderful.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Really enjoyed what was presented but felt that one of the great PJ legacies was forgotten - the unique concert poster (culture) associated with their shows. Looking forward to the next 20 years!
  • Options
    THINK ABOUT IT!!!
    our guys pretty good too (stone)
    cornell welcoming eddie
    after switch from mookie to pj stone seeing flyers and saying we're not going to cultivate anything
    does grunge still exist? (eddie wipes teeth)
    singles party (eddie tears down the side drape and the lighting increases while eddie actually wanted more sound)
    jeff aments bond w vedder (this isnt a slacker job, its art, thumbing my way)
    jeff aments brutal honesty about everything!!!
    young to older eddie "release"
    breath security guard
    cornell talking about mc cready (thought he was a little kid, hes a rock star, he has problems!)
    neil young taking band on tour
    tmaster hearings were awesome (you guys are darling)
    eddies grammy speech never gets old (judging art?)
    andy wood stuff is powerful (hes hilarious at beginning, if my band isnt band of 90s ill fire them and get a new one)
    crown of thorns eddie andy wood overlap footage
    AND SO MUCH MORE!!!! AWESOMENESS!!!! THANKS CC AND PJ.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    Ed got choked up a couple of times which was surprising...

*spoilers**

When in the yield session talking about the crazies and how can you please everyone, that was quite emotional.

Also, in the present day interview talking about how he and Jeff first hit it off and he really apprecaites Jeff (something like that). It was quite touching.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I really really enjoyed it! Very well put together, very well done overall! Some real awesome moments off the top of my head: Ed singing Breath right behind the security guard, Stone finding his Grammy, Release from Verona gave me chills, seeing the early interview with Ed by the campfire then the more recent one with him by the campfire, Crown of Thorns from Vegas, the Singles party, Eddie dancing with Kurt, Alive from Philly to close it! I could just go on! Didn't want the movie to end!!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    First of all I was taken back by how much Stone has changed over the years. He seems so passive these days compared to the early years with his sarcasm and cheeky grin ;)
    I took my girlfriend to a Brisbane screening and just as we arrived she suddenly turns to me and tells me I'm not to explain every little detail and factoid to her throughout the movie (I'm the fanatic and she is the casual fan). At first I felt a little insulted but then I realized that this was probably what would have happened for the entire 2 hours and we had a laugh :D
    As someone else said, I couldn't believe the amount of various Pearl Jam T-Shirts throughout the cinema. It felt like the outside of a concert for a while.
    Although I would have liked to have seen it again in cinemas, it was a one of a kind experience seeing this love letter of a film with hundreds of real fans around me. My girlfriend absolutely loved it (even had a few tears at times) and it was the perfect night out :)
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Wow was that great. Can't wait for the DVD release. Some of my favorite parts were screaming the lyrics to breath at the security guard, the singles party performance, the Bushleaguer performance and the fact that aholes could boo at them and they didn't give a shit cause they were standing for what they believed in, and possibly my favorite part them talking about switching up the setlists everynight (which just might be my favorite thing about this band). I just have a hard time respecting bands that play the same set everynight. To me it's being lazy and it's a cop out.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    AB60066 wrote:

Just got back from a Winnipeg screening and I can't put it any better than this!

Thank you, Pearl Jam. Thank you, Cameron Crowe.

I especially appreciated being able to bring my husband to the screening because he now has a much better appreciation for why our son and me drive crazy distances and do all that we do to go to as many shows as we do. He gets it now.
    If you hate somethin', don't you do it too.

Winnipeg, Sept 8/2005
    Chicago, Aug 23&24/2009
    Alpine Valley, Sept 3&4/2011
    Winnipeg, Sept 17/2011
    Saskatoon, Sept 19/2011
    Edmonton, Sept 23/2011
    EV SOLO, Minneapolis/St. Louis 2011
    London, July 16/2013
  • Options
    Ian80Ian80 Posts: 136
    Saw in last night, and what an amazing experience, if it was being shown again in cinema's I'd be there in a flash.

I am the only person amoungst my friends who gets this band, so I was forced to go alone to the theatre but it just highlights to me why they are who they are and why we all love them. I think if your a casual fan you will leave with a great understanding of the band what they stand for and why they have the following they have.

Plenty of favourite moments but I the one that stands out the most is when Stone was showing us through his stuff they go to the basement and he goes "Oh look there's a Grammy..."

Oh and Stone you need to wash that coffee cup :lol: