Options

just watched pj20 the movie

Comments

• Options
    ItsOKaye wrote:
    I was glued to the screen the whole time...didnt want it to finish. I could have watched another 2 hours worth...

I just like your picture.....of my sign lol. I still have it

ITS OKAYYYYYYYYYYYY

scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    I was grinning the whole time. The Singles premiere footage makes me laugh even now. Almost teared up on TOTD scenes, don't know why, and at 'Alive' at the end. Liked Cornell, Stone's PJ memorabilia :lol:, Mike talk about drummers, pole in Eddie's house, Daughter scene, Eddie tearing up when talking about Jeff, so many things, probably forgot half of it. Can't wait for DVD.
  • Options
    Loved it. What an honest tribute to an honest, and great, band.

Great tribute to Andy Wood, some really interesting archival footage of PJ, Soundgarden, etc, Eddie climbing all over everything, some amazing on-stage footage, Eddie's pain at Roskilde, Stone with a spotlight in his basement looking for memorabilia, Cornell's description of Mike, Jeff being Jeff, Matt's kid in front of his kit......2 hours that confirm why we like these guys so much.

And that's before you even get to the soundtrack! Wow.

Well done to all involved.
    TenVsRhys
    1995 - Sydney Mar 10th, Melbourne Mar 18th, Brisbane Mar 21st and 22nd
    1998 - Melbourne Mar 3rd, Brisbane Mar 14th and 15th
    2000 - London May 29th and 30th
    2009 - Sydney Nov 22nd
    2011 - EV Brisbane Mar 12th, Sydney Mar 18th and Mar 19th
    2014 - Gold Coast Jan 19th, EV Sydney Feb 11th, 12th and 13th
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale Apr 8th, Miami Apr 9th
    2017 - EV London Jun 6th and 7th
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I really liked it. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. We went with two very casual fans who liked their earlier stuff and a bit of Temple of the Dog stuff etc....and they REALLY enjoyed it as well....more than I thought they would. One of their comments straight as we walked out was "that was fucking great!".

Great job Cameron Crowe. :clap:

Only complaint is that there wasn't enough info and insight into the second 10 years....no mention of the later albums etc.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    jodiemjodiem Posts: 133
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Only complaint is that there wasn't enough info and insight into the second 10 years....no mention of the later albums etc.

Yeah agree with that.. it was more about the formation
    1995: Perth
    2006: Sydney x 2
    2009: Philly, Sydney
    2013: San Diego, LA1 & 2, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle

EV Solo - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney x 2
  • Options
    garbsgarbs Posts: 46
    Absolutely well worth the wait. I could easily watch another 2, or 20 more hours of it all!

Also I must say, the screening at Carousel had to be the most well behaved audience too, didn't see/hear anyone talking through the movie, not one mobile phone or even a single kid running amok. And at the end the applause, it was all good.
  • Options
    Did anyone manage to score a poster??

I lined up in the ticket queue after coming out and asked but was fed a line about all posters being sent back to the movie companies which I seriously doubt is true.. as if anyone wants back a paper poster once they are done with it, the vinyl ones maybe, but what harm would it be to have given away the only poster they had up for a movie that was one screening only.. oh well..
  • Options
    garbs wrote:
    Absolutely well worth the wait. I could easily watch another 2, or 20 more hours of it all!

You may get your wish and more on the blu-ray release.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    CrazyboutevCrazyboutev Burns Beach WA Posts: 45
    THANK YOU PEARL JAM and CAMERON CROWE!
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451
    How much was Dave Grohl in it?
  • Options
    I just got home. Fricken awesome!!
    I Booked my tickets a couple of weeks ago, but loved it so much that when we got out we asked if any tix were available for the late session and luckily they were, so we went straight back in and saw it again. Picked up more things we missed the first time around.
    This was an exceptionally well made film, and even non-PJ fans would enjoy following their journey I think...it might even turn them into fans.
    This was really worth the wait.
  • Options
    What is better than seeing a movie about your favourite band? Being in the movie... Twice! :-)

I loved it, such an incredible, arty film that told my favourite story. Well done!

Can't wait to see it again so I can take it all in. One screening just wasn't enough.

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.
    I said YEH!
  • Options
    What is better than seeing a movie about your favourite band? Being in the movie... Twice! :-)

Twice? Well I'm impressed.. I figure you were the Aussie girl interviewed, 2nd time saying something about thanking the band and how much they mean to people?
  • Options
    Khuntza wrote:

Twice? Well I'm impressed.. I figure you were the Aussie girl interviewed, 2nd time saying something about thanking the band
    and how much they mean to people?

Yes, that was me, although I didn't hear much, the people I was with were cheering. That was my voice at the end of the trailer too. I'm just glad the band know how much I appreciate them ;-)
    I said YEH!
  • Options
    Just finished watching it too and I loved it. Like others I could watch another 2 hours and maybe that's what the DVD / BR version will be. I hope so.

Some really touching moments and the one for me, unexpectedly, was the footage of the band playing Release in Italy. Listening to Ed speaking about what that meant for him, at that point in the band's life and his life, watching them play in that beautiful amphitheater in the rain and Ed singing that song that night for Johnny Ramone.... yeah I teared up, as it just brought me back full circle again to Ten and all those songs and in particular, Release, which is one of the (many many many.....) classic tunes that this band has written, all of which has been the soundtrack of my life for the last 20 years.

Can't wait to pour over all the little details again when the DVD / BR drops.
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Cameron couldn't have done a better job putting together this film. It just makes me wanna treasure PJ even more now.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    Awesome....took two non PJ fans to it....they cried they cheered...and clapped and shouted when it ended.

They went on my 20 year journey in an hour and a half. They really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    fuckin sick...enjoy people.

that's what I want to hear, just under 11 hours until i see it.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    I guess I'm the crazy one here.

I liked it, but it was nothing mind blowing or overly exciting to me.

Not exactly sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. Again, it wasn't bad, just......underwhelming.

I was starting to think they weren't even going to mention the revolving door drummer thing, and then when they do, it was Mike just listing off the names of them.

Also, the other part that was odd was Boom. No explanation of who he was, or how he joined the band, at least as a touring musician. Just a Boom 293 (or whatever it was) shows subtitled when he was on screen.

I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know.

I'm with you 99% - especially the ending! (I'm keeping 1% for the emotional scenes from Roskilde and the Singles party gig which I had never seen before).

I don't mean to offend anyone here - but americans will always be american about things. The ending was too Hollywood for me - it was the expected thing, too predictable. The guy winning over the girl. The bad guy losing. The hero emerging. It was anachronic - I don't want to spoil anything; but it's a cliché. Underwhelming.

I was surprised that Crowe would bite, chew and digest it for me - I wish it would be more up to interpretation of the viewer. More real. Less Hollywood.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    JC219511 wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    I guess I'm the crazy one here.

I liked it, but it was nothing mind blowing or overly exciting to me.

Not exactly sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. Again, it wasn't bad, just......underwhelming.

I was starting to think they weren't even going to mention the revolving door drummer thing, and then when they do, it was Mike just listing off the names of them.

Also, the other part that was odd was Boom. No explanation of who he was, or how he joined the band, at least as a touring musician. Just a Boom 293 (or whatever it was) shows subtitled when he was on screen.

I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know.

I'm with you 99% - especially the ending! (I'm keeping 1% for the emotional scenes from Roskilde and the Singles party gig which I had never seen before).

I don't mean to offend anyone here - but americans will always be american about things. The ending was too Hollywood for me - it was the expected thing, too predictable. The guy winning over the girl. The bad guy losing. The hero emerging. It was anachronic - I don't want to spoil anything; but it's a cliché. Underwhelming.

I was surprised that Crowe would bite, chew and digest it for me - I wish it would be more up to interpretation of the viewer. More real. Less Hollywood.

droopy-dog.jpg
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,182
    As a huge fan of both Pearl Jam and Cameron Crowe, I was disappointed. My review in this morning's The Oregonian (the film critic "couldn't put two Pearl Jam songs together" so he asked the biggest Pearl Jam fan in the newsroom to review "PJ20"):
    http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index. ... on_cr.html
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    I will keep this brief and try not to give away many spoilers as I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I loved how the 2 hours felt like a journey. It began through tragedy & feels like a celebration of what has been achieved & what will come.

Cameron Crowe did well to mix music, archival footage & interviews evenly.

The pre PJ days are covered very well. I could have done with a few minutes less of Cornell & the Mother Love Bone story so more time could be added to certain PJ era's.

As a viewer you really do feel the spotlight the band was under in the Ten/Vs era.

The on-stage music montages were edited really well.

The Roskilde reflection was moving. You could hear a pin drop in the cinema.

There's some laughs along the way. Ticketmaster controversy footage is priceless.

I would say that there's less emphasis on particular songs & albums.

The importance of playing live is illustrated by the band.

You get the feeling PJ are over the revolving drummer situation of the past. They have moved past it.

It is visually entertaining. The use of tv promos, archival scenery and flashbacks to bygone rock eras & artists are a nice touch.

After watching it, you will want to listen to Pearl Jam & you will gain a greater appreciation of the music.

The best thing is that you know that there will be a lot of bonus features come dvd/blu ray release time.

The only things I would have liked in the film would be

1. A few stats on shows, albums, bootlegs, countries visited, support artists/shared the stage with
    2. Some studio recording footage
    3. Stories of how some songs came about. e.g Betterman.
    4. A representation of each album & what it meant to them & their career at the time
    5. How the band operates today, from the writing & recording process & taking those songs on the road

In summary, the doco will satisfy the casual fan & the hardcore fan. If you're a Pearjamologist (like myself!) you will be left wondering what was left out, rather than what was put in. I would love to see a series like the Beatles Anthology that included full perfomances of songs.

But alas, that's what makes following Pearl Jam so special. The best is yet to come!
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,083
    WooHoo!!!! 10 more hours
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,036
    Can't wait to see it in Indy. The theater it's playing at has a bar attached so I'll get there early and get my drink on. Sold out shows for 7 and 930
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Dan CDan C Posts: 206
    -Emma- wrote:
    This will sound a bit random, but when there was a clip of a lighthouse and surfing in the movie it looked very familiar to me, then a few seconds later Stone said something about it being the first year they went to Australia.

Obviously lighthouses don't exactly look distinct, but it would be kind of cool if it was the lighthouse i'm thinking of.

was it barrenjoey?
    PJ Sydney 1998-03-09, 2003-02-11, 2003-02-14, 2006-11-07, 2006-11-08, 2006-11-18, 2009-11-22, 2014-01-26
    EV Sydney 2011-03-18, 2011-03-19, 2014-02-11, 2014-02-13
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 111
    Loved it, and it will be even better for the casual fan. A few pearls re footage of mythical events but over all not a lot of new information.

Excellent to see the band in their own environments and so relaxed about where they have been and where they are going to.

Seemed to really gloss over the second decade. It became a little to much like a love fest to the band rather than continue being about the band towards the end.But that may be the fan perspective Crowe talks about trying to create.

All up 5 starts though and a the bluray release on preorder now for me! Im looking forward to the kids are twenty version to compliment PJ20.
    Im not supersticious, Im just a littlesticious.
  • Options
    just got back

i took my mum - a non pj fan who is vaguely aware of "eddie the ukulele" guy haha

she liked it a lot - said it was interesting, LOVED the andy wood part - she felt really moved by him, and what happened

said she liked the music - more of the slower stuff

and really likes the bands ethics and morals and overall just really enjoyed it

i thought it was fucking beautiful
    so much great archival footage - the early stuff from the 90s was so great to watch
    it was great to see the band open up, relaxed and happy - seeing stone's house and ed's fireman's pole
    and it really showed the beauty of the fans, the band and the music.
    the soundtrack is great - it shows the variety of their musical catalogue so well

so much more to say, can't get my head straight

and cameron put it together so amazingly and brilliantly - i was really impressed by how well it had been edited because it was much more fluid and cinematic than i expected it to be
  • Options
    TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    Just came home from the movie. It was excellent. Theater had nice big sound so it was like BOOOOM when the first song started. Great, great, great!

TOP3:

1. Drunken Eddie @ Singles Party :D:D
    2. Short video from Switzerland acoustic -92 show :o:o
    3. Ed climbing & diving :shock: :shock:
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
  • Options
    Awesome film. Really enjoyed it. I thought it was weighted too heavily on the first ten years but, on reflection, the second ten were much more settled and a less compelling story to tell. It was probably just about right. At times I drift in my affections for the band, especially when it has been a year since a tour with no new one on the horizon and a couple of years since the last record, but the experience of seeing the film was a reaffirmation of my love for the band.

It was so popular they put on an extra screen and were seeing the soundtrack at cut price through some deal they had and both auditoriums were full. After ten minutes the screen blacked out for 5 minutes and so the manager came in and agreed to run the whole thing from the start again :)
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Young Eddie turning into "older" Eddie over the camp fire was pretty magical.....

Also the short cut to the smiling David Lynch when they had talked about him was pure movie gold....

Just a great movie overall!
    Off to hear hours and hours and hours and hours of PJ :mrgreen: