Funeral Music

Comments

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Probably 'Porch'...or maybe 'Even Flow'
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,733
    Interesting that this thread popped up. I was thinking this same question the other day. I would want a wake rather than a funeral. Start with a few good somber numbers like Long Road and Off He Goes and then go for a bunch that really rock!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    Narciso wrote:
    Really? Nobody out there thinks about this? Is it weird?
    I think it's weird not to think about it!
    I'm not one for funerals. Mine will be more like a going away party where the guest of honor couldn't make it. So I'm just going to write "play the PJ catalogue on random shuffle, and don't forget the Led Zeppelin" in my funeral arrangement plan. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,992
    jdwyer02 wrote:
    Long Road from the Tribute of 9/11. Best version I have heard.
    This
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | 2024-05-16 Las Vegas | 2024-05-18 Las Vegas | 2024-08-31 Chicago
  • Yield98Yield98 Posts: 151
    My wife has instructions that at the end of my funeral to play "Long Road" (cause we are all going to walk the same long road), then "Given To Fly" (favorite song and the message that I'm going up to heaven), then get to the drinking because the good stories will flow much better after the good alcohol has been flowing.
    Peace, Love, Pearl Jam

Alpine 98,00,03 TFC 99, Chicago 00,03,09(2X) St. Louis 03, Champagne 03, St. Paul 03, 06(2X), 14, Noblesville 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04,06, Thunder Bay 05, Cleveland 06, Lolla 07, Roo 08, PJ20 X2, Wrigley 13 & 16, Portland/Spokane/Seattle 13, Milwaukee 14, Fenway 18X2, Quebec City/Ottawa 22
  • YLB
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• iiseeiisee Posts: 485
    Oddly enough, I too have thought about this a fair amount as well....Long Road says it all...It never fails to make me cry, but still somehow feel joyful and hopeful as well.

I took my son to see Pearl Jam for his first rock show when he was 8 years old...1996 in Charlotte. He graduated from college with a degree in Music Education and now teaches High School here in NC and is a gifted musician. I think in some aspects he was influenced by that PJ show. The show opener that day was "Long Road". When my long road reaches the end, I want him to perform "Long Road" as my personal "closer"...but not yet..cus my wife and I are going to Amsterdam next weekend for both shows..and hoping for another Long Road opener!!!
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • ten2o3ten2o3 Posts: 225
    I unfortunately had to pick out a few songs for my best friend's funeral in March. The man responsible for my addiction to Pearl Jam! Went with:
    Say hello to heaven (PJish & one of his all time favorites),
    Smile (for his contagious smile that everyone loved), and
    Just breathe

RIP Ames
    9/3/11 PJ20 Alpine Valley
    9/4/11 PJ20 Alpine Valley
    10/19/14 St. Paul
    10/20/14 Milwaukee (Yield in full!!!)
  • MJK1889MJK1889 Posts: 59
    Dirty Frank.......Just kidding!

It would have to be and will probably be Long Road.

Then to cheer everyone up I'd have some 60's reggae like Toots and the Maytals afterward.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838
    Funeral concert:

Long Road (We all walk the long road...cannot stay)
    Release
    Given To Fly (perhaps a stretch)
    Breath
    Life Wasted (could be a stretch)
    I Am Mine (song about safety and being safe)
    Elderly Woman (maybe...might be a stretch)
    Nothingman
    Low Light
    Parachutes (a soft, beautiful song)
    Betterman (if it's a guy who died. You could also use the "guitar/organ only" mix)
    Immortality
    Who You Are
    Off He Goes
    Present Tense
    Wishlist
    Around The Bend

Arc
    Just Breathe
    Pilate (perhaps a stretch)
    Black (We belong together...)
    In Hiding
    All Those Yesterdays
    Light Years
    Love Boat Captain (obvious)
    Thumbing My Way
    Gone
    Come Back
    The End

Wasted Reprise
    Parting Ways (if only because of the title)
    Hard To Imagine
    Say Hello 2 Heaven
    Hunger Strike
    Last Kiss
    Indifference
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 869
    I've been saying this since Wildflowers by Tom Petty came out....I want "Its Good To Be King".

To me it's perfect farewell message with a beautiful outro on piano.
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    I really love the idea of Long Road with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan for a PJ one but others, The Dandy Warhols, Sleep or Sigur Ros, Von. Maybe a surpise for the mourners with Metallica's cover of Free Speech For The Dumb... :shock:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Skeleton KeySkeleton Key Posts: 130
    PJRock75 wrote:
    I've been saying this since Wildflowers by Tom Petty came out....I want "Its Good To Be King".

To me it's perfect farewell message with a beautiful outro on piano.

Back in '94, a guy in my high school died and he was a big Tom Petty fan. They ended up playing the Wildflowers title track at his funeral which had just come out.
  • ThePedroThePedro Posts: 330
    My brother recently passed in Feb very sad time. He turned me on to PJ glad we got to see them together in SASKATOON. At his funeral we played 3 songs to a picture montage.
    Come Back
    Red Solo Cup ( not pj but it was his favorite at the time)
    Man Of The Hour
    "Is it just me or is common sense not that common anymore"
  • NacreRockNacreRock Posts: 91
    Sorry to hear about your brother...i lost my sister to cancer a year ago in Feb. After spending the night by her bed, she passed away in the morning. I was exhausted, but needed to drive a couple of hours to get my parents. To keep me alert, I chose to listen to PJ radio. First song I heard was "The End". Alone in the car, my emotions caught up with me. Not a good memory, but I will never forget the timing of that song being played. By the way, cancer sucks.

I apologize for being depressing, but this post resonated with me.
    ThePedro wrote:
    My brother recently passed in Feb very sad time. He turned me on to PJ glad we got to see them together in SASKATOON. At his funeral we played 3 songs to a picture montage.
    Come Back
    Man Of The Hour
    Yield98 wrote:
    My wife has instructions that at the end of my funeral to play "Long Road" (cause we are all going to walk the same long road), then "Given To Fly" (favorite song and the message that I'm going up to heaven), then get to the drinking because the good stories will flow much better after the good alcohol has been flowing.

Very well put. This is such a great idea. I hope you don't mind if I use this and ask my wife to do the same.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

NacreRock wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your brother...i lost my sister to cancer a year ago in Feb. After spending the night by her bed, she passed away in the morning. I was exhausted, but needed to drive a couple of hours to get my parents. To keep me alert, I chose to listen to PJ radio. First song I heard was "The End". Alone in the car, my emotions caught up with me. Not a good memory, but I will never forget the timing of that song being played. By the way, cancer sucks.

I apologize for being depressing, but this post resonated with me.
    ThePedro wrote:
    Come Back
    Man Of The Hour

No need to apologize. Your feeling are very understandable. Many of us have been through similar difficult times. The songs really do help. Best wishes going out to the both of you, NacreRock and ThePedro..

• deserteddotsedeserteddotse Posts: 1,276
    Not a Pearl Jam song but a have always thought 'Upon My Shoulders' by Brad would be appropriate at a funeral.
    Love those piano and cello parts... :cry:
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    My choice would The Shadowlands by Ryan Adams. It starts as a mellow, dark and sad piano track but the end is really beautiful and kinda hopeful. Not a pj song but I always thought it would be the perfect song for a funeral.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Release.

If you love Pearl Jam and they are a big part of your life why is it weird?

Working on final edits to my will now before heading off to Amsterdam & Arras. Maybe I should put it in.

It's not a nice thing to think about. But its inevitable. I'm just trying to detach myself from it.

Jen
    166XXX, Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising... NY 9/28/96:Toronto 8/22/98:MA 9/15/98:MA 9/16/98:MA 8/29/00:MA 8/30/00:Vegas 10/22/00: San Fran 6/01/03:Vegas 6/06/03:MA 7/02/03:MA 7/03/03:MA 7/11/03:MA 9/28/04:MA 9/29/04: WPB 6/11/08(Lottery ROW 1 CTR):Tampa 6/12/08: MA 6/29/08: MA 6/30/08: MA 05/18/10, 2012: Amsterdam & Arras
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    Narciso wrote:
    Really? Nobody out there thinks about this? Is it weird?
    I think it's weird not to think about it!
    I'm not one for funerals. Mine will be more like a going away party where the guest of honor couldn't make it. So I'm just going to write "play the PJ catalogue on random shuffle, and don't forget the Led Zeppelin" in my funeral arrangement plan. :D

"LIKE"
    166XXX, Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising... NY 9/28/96:Toronto 8/22/98:MA 9/15/98:MA 9/16/98:MA 8/29/00:MA 8/30/00:Vegas 10/22/00: San Fran 6/01/03:Vegas 6/06/03:MA 7/02/03:MA 7/03/03:MA 7/11/03:MA 9/28/04:MA 9/29/04: WPB 6/11/08(Lottery ROW 1 CTR):Tampa 6/12/08: MA 6/29/08: MA 6/30/08: MA 05/18/10, 2012: Amsterdam & Arras
  • Unthought Unknown --

Feel the air up above, oh pool of blue sky.
    Feel the air up with love, all black with star light.
    Feel the sky blanket you
    With gems and rhinestones.
    See the path cut by the moon
    For you to walk on.
    For you to walk on.
    See the waves on distant shores
    Awaiting your arrival.
  • I revisit this topic with my wife a few times a year just so she knows what PJ songs/covers to play at my exit or listen to later to think of me.

Man of the Hour
    Long Road
    Light Years
    Throw Your Arms Around Me (played @ our wedding)
    Come Back
    The End (if circumstances are parallel)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Unthought Unknown --

Feel the air up above, oh pool of blue sky.
    Feel the air up with love, all black with star light.
    Feel the sky blanket you
    With gems and rhinestones.
    For you to walk on.
    For you to walk on.
    See the waves on distant shores
    Awaiting your arrival.

An odd bump and first post, but I do get it.

This song has grown on me so much recently. Interesting otherview of the words. I've come to take in lyrics differently via various people, and now via you too. Thank you.

Seems like so many have had loss lately - should you be part of that, my good wishes sent.

I say blast / appreciate / listen to whatever brought that person happiness, and whatever helps to bind the memories.

Cheers.
  • moses-i said:

Whatever you do, never pull a Kenny Powers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9kn6a0xl7k

I LOVED Eastbound & Down. I was watching this episode and could not believe it when he cued Alive...Piss your pants funny and glad the band let them use it on the show!
  • I think The End would be too brutal to be played at a funeral...That song wrecks me under normal circumstances.
  • I think The End would be too brutal to be played at a funeral...That song wrecks me under normal circumstances.

I agree. I absolutely have to skip it when I spin Backspacer. It's just a gut punch.
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '98
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '00
    Deer Creek, IN June, '03
    Deer Creek, IN May, '10
    US Bank, Cincy OH, Oct '14
    Rupp Arena, Lexington KY, April '16
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 20th
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 22nd

I need Hard to Imagine once, live, I'll do things I'm not proud of to make this happen ;)
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    edited September 2016
    So people are posting some non PJ stuff... specifically no Stairway to Heaven??? That's gotta be there. It would be randomly played at PJSoul's funeral, but anyone else??? With the volume of PJ and Zep catalogue, her funeral will be all weekend long... Hey, PJSoul, will there be LPs played, originals or reissues?? Then will the original LPs go with you in your casket so you can play them in your next life...
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • My funeral is going to be one big Pearl Jam party where all my PJ shit is raffled off to help offset funeral costs. There will be many songs played - rockers & ballads alike.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129

"...I changed by not changing at all..."