Options

2008 btlg sound quality

Comments

• Options
    WaveCameCrashinWaveCameCrashin Posts: 2,929
    Finally!!! I'm getting a bit sick of people 'bitching' about people 'bitching' as well. Do you not see any irony in that? Seriously? According to some of these people's theory, if I BUY a gallon of milk, and it's sour. I should just shut the fuck up, drink it, and be thankful I have milk in the first place??? That's just plain old riding the short bus to school dumb. Now, if someone GAVE me that same gallon of milk, and it ended up sour then that's too fucking bad for me. THAT makes sense. The 10C and Kufala aren't giving us these boots out of the kindness of their hearts. They're selling them at full retail. That makes us consumers, and therefore gives us the right to bitch, moan, complain, stomp our feet, etc. Money isn't exactly EASY to come by lately, and between the concerts, the merchandise, the boots, and now the EV solo tour we've all given quite a bit of it to the 10C this year, so I don't think we're asking too much for them to take a tiny portion of that money and put it into hiring somebody with fully functioning inner ears to mix these boots properly. Geez...
    well said sir.
  • Options
    clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    gvn2fly74 wrote:
    I just got the columbia show a few days ago and i have tried listening to it in my car ,home stereo,and a diskman and it sounds like shit.WTF It sounds like an old greatful dead boot on a casette tape.Do the mp3s sound better?

does it sound as bad as the live at the gorge box? i wanted to like that set becos it had stellar shows and a great setlist, but man the sound was painfully thin.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • Options
    If it was my FAVORITE restaurant EVER? I would give them the benefit of the doubt that it was an isolated incident, and I would make management aware of the situation. Exactly as I've done in this case. Quit bitching about us bitching.
    Fair enough about the restaurant, and I think you've made your point about the sound of the boots. Some people like them and some people don't, you obviously don't.
    I've listened to Tampa and Bonnaroo, and I can't for the life of me agree they sound like "shit". Are they as good as 2000 or 2003 ? who knows. Some people like crowd noise, I personally think Mike is too low in the mix. But you know what?
    At the end of the day they are just CD's. Still way better than before 2000.

I think the band changes up the sound of the boots for every tour to keep them fresh sounding and different, much like they do when they record a album in the studio. You can't make everybody happy all the time, but even if Pearl Jam could make everyone happy all the time ,
    someone would still bitch about it.
    walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I totally disagree. I think the 2000 series is the best they have released. Shows like Philadelphia 1 #45 Detroit #51 Jones Beach 3 #41 or Tampa #32(just to name a few) are tremendous. I don't think the 2003 series is as good as 2000. They are still good quality, but not as consistent.

And I think this is the point. Apparently, the mix of a show is a matter of taste.

Some people think 2000 were the best boots ever. Some think they are the worst.

So it's probably unfair to say they "sound like shit" and act like it some kind of "problem" that needs to be rectified -- because it really is just a matter of what you want to hear.

I happen to think 2003 are the best-sounding of the official boot series.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Raineman wrote:
    I for the life of me can't understand why people give a shit about someone complaining about a product they fucking paid for.

I understand to a point. But the complaining is fucking CONSTANT. And it's ANNOYING. And it does no good to complain HERE. You want to affect change, email the fuckin' band. Bitching here is like eating a bad meal at a restaurant, and instead of immediately talking to the manager, you go home and write a really mean letter to the editor of the newspaper. It might make you feel better, but it doesn't really accomplish shit.

The other thing is, I personally find the complaints to be baffling. The Bonnaroo boot, which admittedly is the only boot I've heard from this tour, sounds completely fine to me.

So my responses aren't so much from the standpoint of being pissed off at the bitchers ... just completely confused by them. It's sort of like how my wife will complain about being hot in a 72-degree room. You can't tell her, "You're not hot" -- if you're hot, you're hot. But it still baffles the hell out of me.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    I understand to a point. But the complaining is fucking CONSTANT. And it's ANNOYING. And it does no good to complain HERE. You want to affect change, email the fuckin' band. Bitching here is like eating a bad meal at a restaurant, and instead of immediately talking to the manager, you go home and write a really mean letter to the editor of the newspaper. It might make you feel better, but it doesn't really accomplish shit.

be realistic, emailing the band isn't going to accomplish anything either. if people want to vent, this really is the place for it. it's all confined to a few threads anyway.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    be realistic, emailing the band isn't going to accomplish anything either.

Shhhh! Don't tell them that. I almost got them to leave us alone.
    if people want to vent, this really is the place for it. it's all confined to a few threads anyway.

Yeah, a few DOZEN threads ;)
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    be realistic, emailing the band isn't going to accomplish anything either. if people want to vent, this really is the place for it. it's all confined to a few threads anyway.

I think he meant 10C, not the band.....

If you have an issue, email the 10c first.....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    I think he meant 10C, not the band.....

If you have an issue, email the 10c first.....

Nope. I meant the band.

edvedder@bitchabouttheboots.com
  • Options
    KartsKarts Posts: 116
    MSG1 was the loudest crowd I have been in and you really can't tell at all. And Mike is so low in Watchtower, it's simply horrendous.

The Boston2 boot is much better - it's still raw but it sounds good.

All I have pales compared to the 06 boots though.
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    i can tell you right now ... the 'roo boot is supremely better, sound wise, than anything from 2000.
    Agreed. However, I do think next time (knock on wood there will always be a next time) they should maybe go with someone else.

Bonnaroo sounds great, so do some of the others, but WPB was my second show ever and someone dropped the ball on that one. I listen to it every day, not sorry I bought it, I just really wish there had been a pro at the wheel on that one. It was special to me and it sounds- at times, in places, like... well... an amateur recorded it.

Compared to WPB, the rest of them sound great. I bought 6 of them.
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    Nope. I meant the band.

edvedder@bitchabouttheboots.com
    good one.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    i have to say..
    camden, hartford and both masnfield shows sound really good to me..

and i usually am part of the whiners...

mike sounds great to my ears..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 53
    I've only heard the first WPB CD, and that show is really hard to listen to. I don't care for the mix at all! It took me two days just to get through one disc!!

I struggle to hear Mike's solos and there are times when matt's singing sounds louder than eddie. It did seem to get a little bit better as the cd went on though..I'm hoping disc 2 is better. The sad thing is that I'll probablly end up putting the audience recording in my ipod. I also have Tampa, but am not really in a hurry to hear it...please tell me it sounds better.

Daniel
    '03 - San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Benaroya
    '05 - Monterrey
    '06 - Chicago I and II, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    '08 - WPB, Tampa
  • Options
    WaveCameCrashinWaveCameCrashin Posts: 2,929
    clark_kent wrote:
    does it sound as bad as the live at the gorge box? i wanted to like that set becos it had stellar shows and a great setlist, but man the sound was painfully thin.
    I think the gorge box sounds o.k. but if you want me to make a comparison i think the columbia show sounds worse. i.e. all night,should be called all base. given 2 fly,about 70% of the cd's are just mixed really bad. I mean the show sounded fkn killer i was there. this was my 6th show and i must say it was the best one yet.the set list, the crowd the energy was just epic.
  • Options
    Daniel wrote:
    I've only heard the first WPB CD, and that show is really hard to listen to. I don't care for the mix at all! It took me two days just to get through one disc!!

I struggle to hear Mike's solos and there are times when matt's singing sounds louder than eddie. It did seem to get a little bit better as the cd went on though..I'm hoping disc 2 is better. The sad thing is that I'll probablly end up putting the audience recording in my ipod. I also have Tampa, but am not really in a hurry to hear it...please tell me it sounds better.

Daniel
    Don't have WPB, so far only Tampa and Bonnaroo.

Tampa is not bad, I think Bonnaroo sounds great.
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    I finally got West Palm Beach. Audio is GREAT!!!! Love it and looking forward to the other 12!!!!!!

I have no clue what other people are complaining about!
  • Options
    I finally got West Palm Beach. Audio is GREAT!!!! Love it and looking forward to the other 12!!!!!!

I have no clue what other people are complaining about!

but ... but ... it doesn't sound exactly like the albums!
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    but ... but ... it doesn't sound exactly like the albums!

What albums? I'm talking about looking forward to the next 12 boots.
  • Options
    There are SO many people on this thread that seem to come on here for the SOLE purpose of complaining about people that are complaining on this thread!!! When did this forum turn into an Abbott & Costello bit. Shut the fuck up about it already. The simple fact that there are a dozen threads going at ANY given minute of EVERY single day about these boots means somebody fucked up. It's not fucking brain surgery here. If you want to go circle-jerk the band and tell them how much you love the new boots, and how "Bugs", and ".", and "Arc" are just misunderstood, and are collectively some of their finest work, then you should really get going and hop on that plane for Seattle. Times-a-wastin...
  • Options
    shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    I got my WPB and had no problems loading it onto my ipod and as for the sound quality,it's not that bad. After all it is called bootleg..........
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    What albums? I'm talking about looking forward to the next 12 boots.

I was making fun of the people complaining about the sound quality of the boots ...
  • Options
    There are SO many people on this thread that seem to come on here for the SOLE purpose of complaining about people that are complaining on this thread!!! When did this forum turn into an Abbott & Costello bit. Shut the fuck up about it already. The simple fact that there are a dozen threads going at ANY given minute of EVERY single day about these boots means somebody fucked up. It's not fucking brain surgery here. If you want to go circle-jerk the band and tell them how much you love the new boots, and how "Bugs", and ".", and "Arc" are just misunderstood, and are collectively some of their finest work, then you should really get going and hop on that plane for Seattle. Times-a-wastin...

And now you're bitching about people who are bitching about the people bitching. hey abbott!!!

By the way, Arc IS fuckin' awesome ...
  • Options
    Arc is fucking awesome like Given to fly, or In Hiding, or Release, or World Wide Suicide, or Hard to Imagine, etc are awesome? Seriously???
  • Options
    Arc is fucking awesome like Given to fly, or In Hiding, or Release, or World Wide Suicide, or Hard to Imagine, etc are awesome? Seriously???

No.

Some pieces of art aren't "hit singles." But the vocal gymnastics Ed does in Arc are pretty fuckin' impressive. It's a great song to hear at random when you're sitting on a the beach on a cloudless night, listening to the waves and looking at the stars. It just makes you feel so ... I don't know ... small in the scope of the universe.

Do I put on Riot Act and immediately fast forward to Arc everytime? Of course not. Do I appreciate what Ed is doing there? Abso-fucking-lutely.
  • Options
    Ok, bro. THAT I get. Just wanted to make sure you weren't losing it on me...
  • Options
    I love the 2008 boots. The shows were sick and the boots sound great to me.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    I went to both MSG's and I enjoyed both shows tremendously. With these boots its the music I remember loving the most. The crowd added to it, but not hearing the crowd overpowering the actual music is ok with me. I know how crazy we were its ok if you don't hear it too much. I mean Ed's voice is kind over powering but don't we all love Ed's voice? IMO these boots are good.. sound is fine with me.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    I bought Hartford and Man1 in FLAC, the quality is great :)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    And now you're bitching about people who are bitching about the people bitching. hey abbott!!!

By the way, Arc IS fuckin' awesome ...
    Arc IS Awsome.
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...