Options

2008 btlg sound quality

WaveCameCrashinWaveCameCrashin Posts: 2,929
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I just got the columbia show a few days ago and i have tried listening to it in my car ,home stereo,and a diskman and it sounds like shit.WTF It sounds like an old greatful dead boot on a casette tape.Do the mp3s sound better?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    It is my favorite sounding boot, but I hear a lot people don't like it. It isn't overmixed or toyed with which is good. It sounds more real to me. You can hear the crowd, McCready sounds electric. He fiddles with Sad over the opeing riff and his evenflow solo coupled with the crowd singing makes it my fave version of Even Flow. Sometimes the "best" sounding boots take the energy out of it, that is not my cup of tea.

This years MSG mix is bland, sure you hear the band clearer than 2003 MSG2, but 03 sounds like you are right there at the show.

I am hoping for more Columbia style boots myself.
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    the MSG boot (only one i have) is just plain awful. eddie is WAYYYY to up in the mix and just drowns everything out, imo, from what i've listened to it. i try to listen to it then just throw on pittsburgh '06 or the gorge '05...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    It's probably just a matter of taste.

The Bonnaroo boot is pretty good ... especially discs 2 and 3.

I'd wager MSG is fine. Some people are just really, really picky. They need to go back to 1994, when we paid $50 for "import" bootlegs that sounded like they were recorded in a roadie's asshole. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    I still say - no exhaggeration - I would pay $30 for FLACs, or even MP3s, of each band member's part, and of mic'ed crowd noise, so that I could mix it myself and make something that's just right for me. This way, no one to blame if it sounds bad but myself - similarly, no one to thank more than myself if it's just right.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    I loved the MSG boot, and the Bonaroo boot too, because of the setlist, but honestly honestly honestly, all my other 60 boots I own, sound way better, including the 2000 boots from europe. I think the quality is shit, and the problem from one boot to another are different, in one eddie is way up, in other you cant hear mike or jeff, I honstly think the quality sucks, but Im still buying them, I know for the next tour they are going to be better, you learn from mistakes. :)
  • Options
    gvn2fly74 wrote:
    I just got the columbia show a few days ago and i have tried listening to it in my car ,home stereo,and a diskman and it sounds like shit.WTF It sounds like an old greatful dead boot on a casette tape.Do the mp3s sound better?
    the mp3 sound bad too.
  • Options
    pouch15 wrote:
    I loved the MSG boot, and the Bonaroo boot too, because of the setlist, but honestly honestly honestly, all my other 60 boots I own, sound way better, including the 2000 boots from europe. I think the quality is shit, and the problem from one boot to another are different, in one eddie is way up, in other you cant hear mike or jeff, I honstly think the quality sucks, but Im still buying them, I know for the next tour they are going to be better, you learn from mistakes. :)

i can tell you right now ... the 'roo boot is supremely better, sound wise, than anything from 2000.
  • Options
    i can tell you right now ... the 'roo boot is supremely better, sound wise, than anything from 2000.

The roo boot yes, columbia no, but the roo boot, isnt better than anything from 2003-2006 I think
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070

I'm not sure I agree with this. I was listening to a couple of the 2000s over the last week or so and felt good about the sound quality. Something about the Roo boot sounds off. It doesn't really soar...kinda sounds as if it's recorded in a vacuum. It also sounds like the crowd is potted up between songs and during sing-along parts.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I'm severely disappointed with the way the boots sound. :(
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I was listening to a couple of the 2000s over the last week or so and felt good about the sound quality. Something about the Roo boot sounds off. It doesn't really soar...kinda sounds as if it's recorded in a vacuum. It also sounds like the crowd is potted up between songs and during sing-along parts.

I think the 2000 boots are the worst-sounding boots there are.
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    I think the 2000 boots are the worst-sounding boots there are.

They are, people are just talking for the sake of it. Try putting a boot from 06-08 on the loudest level, then do a 2000 boot. 03-08 it depends on the show and your preferences, but the quality is clearly better.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Wow. Maybe they should just stop doing bootlegs since they can't please everyone.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I'm severely disappointed with the way the boots sound. :(

Really? I don't think they are *that* bad. Guess it depends on what shows you've got ...
  • Options
    pouch15 wrote:
    The roo boot yes, columbia no, but the roo boot, isnt better than anything from 2003-2006 I think

The 2000 boots, especially the Europe ones, sound like they were recorded with each band member in a separate room.
  • Options
    afaridafarid Posts: 177
    I attended both MSG shows and the crowd was SO LOUD, I could not wait to hear the bootlegs. However the frenzy and excitement of the crowd is not translated in the boots.
    I have boots from 03, 05, 06, 07 and they all are of supreme quality. Boots from 08 are OK.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • Options
    afarid wrote:
    I attended both MSG shows and the crowd was SO LOUD, I could not wait to hear the bootlegs. However the frenzy and excitement of the crowd is not translated in the boots.
    I have boots from 03, 05, 06, 07 and they all are of supreme quality. Boots from 08 are OK.

No, the crowd definitely isn't in the mix this time. Which is OK.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    The 2000 boots, especially the Europe ones, sound like they were recorded with each band member in a separate room.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. are you saying that since each guy is isolated on his own channel, it sounds too "churched up" and you don't like it? or are you saying that you like everything separated like that?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. are you saying that since each guy is isolated on his own channel, it sounds too "churched up" and you don't like it? or are you saying that you like everything separated like that?

I'm saying I don't like it that much. I mean, at the end of the day, all the official boots are better than the scraps we had to sift through back in the day. But the 2000 boots, especially the early ones, sound weird. It's like all the band members are playing miles apart, and you've got to try to synthesize it in your head yourself.

I don't know how to explain it, really. Maybe I needed to do more drugs when I was younger.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    Wow. Maybe they should just stop doing bootlegs since they can't please everyone.

Wow. Maybe they should just do them right?
  • Options
    Dude I like listening to the crowd, especially sing a longs. If anyone has the Lolla 2007, or the 06 Jersey bootlegs you know what I am talking about.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • Options
    Wow. Maybe they should just do them right?

Or maybe people who are continually disappointed in them should stop buying them?

I mean, if McDonald's fucks up my Big Mac for eight years straight, eventually I stop going back.
  • Options
    I don't know how to explain it, really. Maybe I needed to do more drugs when I was younger.
    That made me laugh inexplicably loudly.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    No one is continually disappointed. We are just dissapointed with the current boots.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • Options
    afarid wrote:
    Dude I like listening to the crowd, especially sing a longs. If anyone has the Lolla 2007, or the 06 Jersey bootlegs you know what I am talking about.

That's cool. But it doesn't make or break a boot for me. In fact, look at some of the you tube of the MSG shows. It was cool to be at, but I wouldn't want a boot that sounds like that.

On a boot, I want to hear Ed sing, not some guy warbling off key. Live, I don't mind it so much.
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    all you people better stop bitchin or we may never see bootlegs again. damn.
    the samples they have on the new bootleg page sound fuckin great to me.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Just like they should have stopped making albums after Riot Act? Or even No Code?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    I'm saying I don't like it that much. I mean, at the end of the day, all the official boots are better than the scraps we had to sift through back in the day. But the 2000 boots, especially the early ones, sound weird. It's like all the band members are playing miles apart, and you've got to try to synthesize it in your head yourself.

word
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    afarid wrote:
    No one is continually disappointed. We are just dissapointed with the current boots.

Some people are disappointed every tour.

These boots don't sound drastically different than the '06 boots to me. The do sound drastically different than the 2000 boots, because the 2000 boots weren't all that good.
  • Options
    You will always hear Ed and the band in any boot but what makes a bootlegs special is the crowds reaction to the band, and if you can't hear the crowd than it moots the point for me.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08