Options

2008 btlg sound quality

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    afarid wrote:
    You will always hear Ed and the band in any boot but what makes a bootlegs special is the crowds reaction to the band, and if you can't hear the crowd than it moots the point for me.

I think there's a fine line there. Like I said, some crowd noise is good, but it doesn't make or break the boot for me.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Look, this is the first time I have ever been disappointed with an official bootleg in terms of quality. I still am getting them all, they are still getting their money, I'm just saying, they sound worse than what we've previously had...

My main gripe is that it feels like the crowd is 'turned on' for only their singing parts and it really kind of annoys me... it feels like they fucked with the crowd levels throughout the songs... maybe it's just me.

I do not think there is a problem with voicing my opinion about it, I'm happy to have the bootlegs, I am just sad they don't sound as good as previous tours, in my own opinion.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Look, this is the first time I have ever been disappointed with an official bootleg in terms of quality. I still am getting them all, they are still getting their money, I'm just saying, they sound worse than what we've previously had...

My main gripe is that it feels like the crowd is 'turned on' for only their singing parts and it really kind of annoys me... it feels like they fucked with the crowd levels throughout the songs... maybe it's just me.

I do not think there is a problem with voicing my opinion about it, I'm happy to have the bootlegs, I am just sad they don't sound as good as previous tours, in my own opinion.

Dam they are that bad you say? :(

I haven't bought any yet.
  • Options
    Dam they are that bad you say? :(

I haven't bought any yet.

I have 5 so far and all of them differ in overall quality.

Roo sounds the best imo, maybe more time was spent mixing it, hence the delay, idk.

maybe I am just used to the sound of the previous official bootlegs. maybe not... the mixing is kind of odd on them... i don't know how else to describe it... they just feel more... produced?
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834

Roo sounds the best imo, maybe more time was spent mixing it, hence the delay, idk.

maybe I am just used to the sound of the previous official bootlegs. maybe not... the mixing is kind of odd on them... i don't know how else to describe it... they just feel more... produced?

I'm a big fan of 2003 boots. I love how those sound.

I'm sure I'll get Roo and the shows I went to. :)
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Whatever they did for Missoula, Champaign and Boston 3 from '03.. I wish they'd do again..
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388

Good spot, I noticed that too, that part is kinda lame, I think they turned up the crowd in spots, like at the beginning of Why Go for the "Hey Hey Hey" and the chorus.

All in all, the boots are fun to have.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730

May I just say that my name is Steve and that I wish I came up with the username "Stephen Flow." Every time I see you post, I think to myself, damn....that's a clever fucking username.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    How can people say that the 2000 boots sound like crap? The mixes are perfect and the mastering is just right on the US legs. The 2003 boots are over-cooked. The 2006 boots aren't mixed all that great. The 2008 boots vary in quality from show to show and they're the loudest boots ever, a couple are so loud that they break apart and distort. If you guys think that's a good thing, then there's clearly something wrong with the public at large when it comes to good audio.
  • Options
    May I just say that my name is Steve and that I wish I came up with the username "Stephen Flow." Every time I see you post, I think to myself, damn....that's a clever fucking username.

haha thanks man, my buddies in high school started calling me that... kind of making fun of me but I liked it so I used it as my name here.
  • Options
    Good spot, I noticed that too, that part is kinda lame, I think they turned up the crowd in spots, like at the beginning of Why Go for the "Hey Hey Hey" and the chorus.

All in all, the boots are fun to have.

exactly... it just feels produced and not like it's a soundboard recording, imo you shouldn't fiddle with the levels, leave it at one level in the whole show.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930

If you don't like the quality then why are you buying them all?
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    How can people say that the 2000 boots sound like crap? The mixes are perfect and the mastering is just right on the US legs. The 2003 boots are over-cooked. The 2006 boots aren't mixed all that great. The 2008 boots vary in quality from show to show and they're the loudest boots ever, a couple are so loud that they break apart and distort. If you guys think that's a good thing, then there's clearly something wrong with the public at large when it comes to good audio.

Yeah really... I think for some reason people equate "quality" with volume and always crap on the 2000 boots when they are clearly better even though they take a few more notches to turn up.
  • Options
    haha thanks man, my buddies in high school started calling me that... kind of making fun of me but I liked it so I used it as my name here.

yeah that's not bad. I truly wish I came up with that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Because I like them enough to buy them. It's not like they are unlistenable. I am just kind of disappointed with the mixing... I still want them.
  • Options
    all you people better stop bitchin or we may never see bootlegs again. damn.

These are the kind of quotes that irk me. We are paying for these bootlegs. If they are substandard people have every right to bitch. You speak as though the boots are just a privilege and not something the band also makes money on.

I can't figure out why people keep buying them if they think they sound like crap.
  • Options
    Because I like them enough to buy them. It's not like they are unlistenable. I am just kind of disappointed with the mixing... I still want them.

Good answer :)
  • Options
    20 years from now, all of you haters will appreciate these 2008 boots a little more. they don't sound as perfect as the US leg of 2000. they don't capture the atmosphere of the venue like the 2003 boots did. they're just a clusterfuck of great music and great times. I have Hartford, both MSGs, Camden I, and Washington. they're fine. bring your own recording equipment if you don't like what they're releasing. I still like it.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    20 years from now, all of you haters will appreciate these 2008 boots a little more. they don't sound as perfect as the US leg of 2000. they don't capture the atmosphere of the venue like the 2003 boots did. they're just a clusterfuck of great music and great times. I have Hartford, both MSGs, Camden I, and Washington. they're fine. bring your own recording equipment if you don't like what they're releasing. I still like it.

lol.
  • Options
    lol.

you hearing me right Steve?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    you hearing me right Steve?

I don't really constitute my opinion as bitching.

I'm simply stating that in my own personal opinion that the bootlegs sound worse than they have from previous tours, especially the crowd in the mix.

Am I still buying them, yup. Am I still listening to them, you fucking bet.

I am just disappointed that they don't sound as good...

Is that ok to say?

edit: I guess it's like saying, this hamburger tastes good, but could use more ketchup.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    I have boots from 00, 03, 05 and 06. The Roo boot that I just got is the first one that hasn't sounded quite right to me. I have five more on the way, so we'll see...
  • Options
    I don't really constitute my opinion as bitching.

I'm simply stating that in my own personal opinion that the bootlegs sound worse than they have from previous tours, especially the crowd in the mix.

Am I still buying them, yup. Am I still listening to them, you fucking bet.

I am just disappointed that they don't sound as good...

Is that ok to say?

edit: I guess it's like saying, this hamburger tastes good, but could use more ketchup.

I'm not hating on the haters. I'm saying that you really might appreciate the mix years down the road. it is NOT as good as previous years, as you've said. but I dunno....there's something endearing about it. It's hard to explain because I totally know understand and hear all the flaws that you guys are criticizing. but for some reason, I don't really mind and in fact, I sort of like it. The boots almost sound more like how it sounds when you're actually at the show..... whereas past boots sound like perfectly manufactured live albums.

So 20 years from now you may listen to Seattle 2000 and Live at Leeds and marvel in their greatness. but the next day you might want to just jam out and smoke a fatty. and THAT'S what the 2008 boots are all about

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

What kind of a question is that? Every time Pearl Jam releases a new album (such as Avocado) the sound quality sucks ass, but people still buy it anyway because it's the only option you have. The same applies to the bootlegs. I have original copies for the entire 2000 and 2003 tour, and I'm not about to stop now, especially since it's only 13 shows, which is easy to deal with. Could the mixing and mastering be better? Absolutely. Will it stop me from buying them? No way. As someone else said, we are paying good money for these boots so we have the right to bitch if the quality is sub-standard. Hopefully Pearl Jam will learn from their mistakes, bring Brett back and go back to silver pressed boots.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    What kind of a question is that? Every time Pearl Jam releases a new album (such as Avocado) the sound quality sucks ass, but people still buy it anyway because it's the only option you have.

False. You don't have to buy them.
    JWBusher wrote:
    As someone else said, we are paying good money for these boots so we have the right to bitch if the quality is sub-standard. Hopefully Pearl Jam will learn from their mistakes, bring Brett back and go back to silver pressed boots.

I think I was the one who said that :)

I am all for just having a tapers section so people have no room to bitch. Section off a row at each show where people can bring recorders and go back to the old days. Or fuck mixing and just take a soundboard feed (a la Atlanta 94)
  • Options
    Or fuck mixing and just take a soundboard feed (a la Atlanta 94)

I think that's what these boots are dude....which is fine with me actually. With every other band I salivate at the chance to find a soundboard. With Pearl Jam, that's become not good enough. they've set their own very high standards and this year, they didn't live up to it. but I don't care because I like the 2008 boots despite the flaws.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    WaveCameCrashinWaveCameCrashin Posts: 2,929
    why dont they sound like live on 2 legs ? isnt just a sound board rec?
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    They are, people are just talking for the sake of it. Try putting a boot from 06-08 on the loudest level, then do a 2000 boot. 03-08 it depends on the show and your preferences, but the quality is clearly better.
    Thats the problem with the 2000 boots is the volume, but the 2008 I think are under the 2003 and specially the 2006, the boots from Italy sound great
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Wow. Maybe they should just do them right?

Whats right to you is not whats right to other people. I do wish you could hear the crowd more, especially on the parts where they sing. But some people don't want to hear the crowd. I think they did not mix Mike or Jeff right sometimes. But I think the boots have gotten better everyshow, I have all of them to DC so far. Have not heard the NYC shows yet. And I guess I am just happy that we have the opportunity to get them. They don't have to release the boots. I have way more boots from 92-99 that sound worse than anything they have release since 2000.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    Wow, yet another topic the Pearl Jam fan Crybabies can complain about. If you dont want the boots dont buy them. The fact that they even do this for fans is great. There are a ton of shows that i went to that i wish i could have a decent recording of, nevermind a soundboard recording. Im a huge PJ fan but its fans are a bunch of complaining sissy's. Makes me fuckin sick.