Options

2008 btlg sound quality

Comments

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    drew0 wrote:
    the MSG boot (only one i have) is just plain awful. eddie is WAYYYY to up in the mix and just drowns everything out, imo, from what i've listened to it. i try to listen to it then just throw on pittsburgh '06 or the gorge '05...

Funny. I have the opposite perception. MSG2 Ed is drowned out and Matt's way too loud. MSG1 and Hartford are better, but definitely not their best sounding boots.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    pj0705 wrote:
    Im a huge PJ fan but its fans are a bunch of complaining sissy's. Makes me fuckin sick.

When I think of a sissy, I think of someone who is afraid to fight or afraid of spiders. Not someone unsatisfied with the sound of bootlegs.
  • Options
    When I think of a sissy, I think of someone who is afraid to fight or afraid of spiders. Not someone unsatisfied with the sound of bootlegs.
    Yeah, bootlegs that sound homemade, but we pay FULL retail price for. This whole "be happy we get anything" attitude can be a VERY slippery slope. That's like telling your boss that "You're just happy to have a job". When he doubles your workload for the same pay, it's your own damn fault dummy. The fact of the matter is we EXPECT great things from this band because they have always BEEN great to us. From day one. I'd expect this quality bootleg from any other band but this one. They raised the bar, not us. So we have every right to complain when we think someone dropped the ball. Just the simple fact that half the threads nowadays seem to be ABOUT the boots leads me to believe there are some real concerns here over the quality, the manufacturing, the mixing, etc. Dozens of PJ fans can't be wrong...
  • Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    Then just dont buy the boots and wait until they stop selling them and get them for free....

Im just saying, would you rather they have no boots at all or in your opinion "substandard" boots.

All i know is that i would pay a lot of money for a 10C "substandard" boot of the VFC shows.
  • Options
    SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    I liked the "rough" boots from 2006. They were available right away and had more of the crowd noise. This time around, they mix the crowd way out. Alot of times it leaves Ed sounding overlly excited and unless you were there you would have know idea why. They also didn't do anything in the way of eliminating feedback or at least lowering the effect of it.

They didn't even mic the crowd as they have in the past. I noticed the absence of the crowd mics at the shows and realized this would be the case.

That being said....... we are such picky bitches.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    pj0705 wrote:
    The fact that they even do this for fans is great.

They've sold over $30,000,000 worth of boots since the inception. I like having the chance to get these boots, but it's quite a little revenue generator for PJ inc. We can complain about flaws in the product.

This ain't charity dude.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    i was at this show and was hoping the boot would be great sounding. i'm a bit disappointed in the mix as well. ed's up so high in the mix that when he talks in between songs, you can hear static/distortion in his voice, and this is when he's talking.
    that said, i'm still glad i have a document of the show i attended, which sounded 100% better in person.
  • Options
    i kind of like some of the shows when the sound quality isnt so great - IMO it gives it a little more of a rough edge to it
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,418
    yep
    pouch15 wrote:
    Thats the problem with the 2000 boots is the volume, but the 2008 I think are under the 2003 and specially the 2006, the boots from Italy sound great
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    The WPB boot on pearljamlive sounds like complete garbage. I'm not sure if its the real boot uploaded or just an audience recording, but whatever it is, its terrible. The only ones ive heard so far are 'roo and WPB. Roo sounds fucking awesome. I love the sound. Personally, I think its the best sounding boot to date. But WPB is atrocious.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,188
    pouch15 wrote:
    I loved the MSG boot, and the Bonaroo boot too, because of the setlist, but honestly honestly honestly, all my other 60 boots I own, sound way better, including the 2000 boots from europe. I think the quality is shit, and the problem from one boot to another are different, in one eddie is way up, in other you cant hear mike or jeff, I honstly think the quality sucks, but Im still buying them, I know for the next tour they are going to be better, you learn from mistakes. :)

so what is the 'gold standard' of sound then? i happen to find the 2000 boots to be flat, almost stale.
    i tend to measure things by the 2003 shows. those american tour boots sound unreal. all of them. i especially love the 03' japan boots because the crowds are never loud over there and it sounds like a private show. you can even here band dialogue on the stage in one that i have.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I happen to thoroughly enjoy most of the 2000 boots. I especially love the Jones Beach, Camden, San Diego, & Verona, Italy ones. I think they are a good representation of seeing the band live. I'm not asking them to re-engineer the wheel with these boots. Just get the levels right. It's not like your using pro-tools to correct pitch, or plugging in another track. I want it to sound 'live', but I also want it to sound 'alive'. My Bonaroo boot just sounds 'dead'. There's no oomph to it. I wouldn't use it to demonstrate to someone how incredible this band can sound live that's for sure...
  • Options
    RainemanRaineman Posts: 29
    Wow. Maybe they should just stop doing bootlegs since they can't please everyone.

I for the life of me can't understand why people give a shit about someone complaining about a product they fucking paid for. Why don't you take your logic and go into the thread with the petition for a PJ unplugged dvd and tell them to quit bitching and be happy they saw it at all. And for the people asking why we keep buying them? I bought the Hartford Flac and will def not be buying any more because of the way they came out. Waffles.fm here i come
  • Options
    Raineman wrote:
    I for the life of me can't understand why people give a shit about someone complaining about a product they fucking paid for. Why don't you take your logic and go into the thread with the petition for a PJ unplugged dvd and tell them to quit bitching and be happy they saw it at all. And for the people asking why we keep buying them? I bought the Hartford Flac and will def not be buying any more because of the way they came out. Waffles.fm here i come
    Finally!!! I'm getting a bit sick of people 'bitching' about people 'bitching' as well. Do you not see any irony in that? Seriously? According to some of these people's theory, if I BUY a gallon of milk, and it's sour. I should just shut the fuck up, drink it, and be thankful I have milk in the first place??? That's just plain old riding the short bus to school dumb. Now, if someone GAVE me that same gallon of milk, and it ended up sour then that's too fucking bad for me. THAT makes sense. The 10C and Kufala aren't giving us these boots out of the kindness of their hearts. They're selling them at full retail. That makes us consumers, and therefore gives us the right to bitch, moan, complain, stomp our feet, etc. Money isn't exactly EASY to come by lately, and between the concerts, the merchandise, the boots, and now the EV solo tour we've all given quite a bit of it to the 10C this year, so I don't think we're asking too much for them to take a tiny portion of that money and put it into hiring somebody with fully functioning inner ears to mix these boots properly. Geez...
  • Options
    afaridafarid Posts: 177
    Finally. I'm getting a bit sick of people 'bitching' about people 'bitching' as well. Do you not see any irony in that. According to some of these people's theory, if I BUY a gallon of milk, and it's sour. I should just shut the fuck up, drink it, and be thankful I have milk in the first place??? Now, if someone GAVE me that same gallon of milk, and it ended up sour then that's too fucking bad for me. That makes sense. The 10C and Kufala aren't giving us these boots out of the kindness of their hearts. They're selling them at full retail. That makes us consumers, and therefore gives us the right to bitch, moan, complain, stomp our feet, etc. Money isn't exactly EASY to come by lately, and between the concerts, the merchandise, the boots, and now the EV solo tour we've all given quite a bit of it to the 10C this year, so I don't think we're asking too much for them to take a tiny portion of that money and put it into hiring somebody with fully functioning inner ears to mix these boots properly. Geez...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • Options
    If you hop around on the message pit there are threads all over about these boots. This just plain sucks...Not how I wanted to remember this summer at all.
  • Options
    I think the 2000 boots are the worst-sounding boots there are.

I totally disagree. I think the 2000 series is the best they have released. Shows like Philadelphia 1 #45 Detroit #51 Jones Beach 3 #41 or Tampa #32(just to name a few) are tremendous. I don't think the 2003 series is as good as 2000. They are still good quality, but not as consistent.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam have been releasing boots since 2000, they sound different from the previous tour.Every tour: 2003,2005,2006 and now 2008.

Variety is the spice of life.

These are just CD's of a band we love, I would take them any day over a fan recording (which sound inferrior 99% of the time).

Quit your bitchin' or don't buy them, it's that simple.
    walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
  • Options
    wise88 wrote:
    Pearl Jam have been releasing boots since 2000, they sound different from the previous tour.Every tour: 2003,2005,2006 and now 2008.

Variety is the spice of life.

These are just CD's of a band we love, I would take them any day over a fan recording (which sound inferrior 99% of the time).

Quit your bitchin' or don't buy them, it's that simple.
    Yeah but you're missing a big part of the puzzle here. We didn't know UNTIL we bought them. So that theory holds no water whatsoever.
  • Options
    john dakerjohn daker Posts: 18
    i remember about 13 years ago when i bought this $50 bootleg called simply "monkey wrench". it was the San Diego 11/07/1995 show on two discs recorded off someone's radio. the quality compared utterly horrible and the radio dj talks during the show at a few points, plus radio static can be heard occasionally. that being said, i absolutely love that boot. i saved for months to get that thing. i still remember how awesome it was because it had a couple songs that ended up on no code but i knew them before no code even came out. awesome. a bootleg is just that. a live recording. you don't usually buy live recordings expecting quality. at least i don't. i buy them for the energy and the spontanaity they exhibit. compared to that awful-quality bootleg i bought 13 years ago, these new bootlegs are incredibly high quality... and at a third of the price. good deal in my book. i just hope the band is still kind enough to offer the variety of cd, flac, and mp3 in the future even though there are so many ungrateful fans.
    07/08/1998 - phoenix ... 06/03/2003 - irvine 2 ... 06/07/2003 - phoenix ... 07/06/2006 - vegas ... 07/10/2006 - l.a.

http://www.myspace.com/willhambfg
  • Options
    Yeah but you're missing a big part of the puzzle here. We didn't know UNTIL we bought them. So that theory holds no water whatsoever.
    Did you know what the boots sounded like any other year before you bought one?, like 2003, when they were all mailed to you.

buy 1 boot, if you don't like the sound quality, then don't buy any more.

Like other people have said, if you don't care for the product, don't just keep bitching about it.

Haven't you ever had a bad meal at a place? Do you keep going back.
  • Options
    john daker wrote:
    i remember about 13 years ago when i bought this $50 bootleg called simply "monkey wrench". it was the San Diego 11/07/1995 show on two discs recorded off someone's radio. the quality compared utterly horrible and the radio dj talks during the show at a few points, plus radio static can be heard occasionally. that being said, i absolutely love that boot. i saved for months to get that thing. i still remember how awesome it was because it had a couple songs that ended up on no code but i knew them before no code even came out. awesome. a bootleg is just that. a live recording. you don't usually buy live recordings expecting quality. at least i don't. i buy them for the energy and the spontanaity they exhibit. compared to that awful-quality bootleg i bought 13 years ago, these new bootlegs are incredibly high quality... and at a third of the price. good deal in my book. i just hope the band is still kind enough to offer the variety of cd, flac, and mp3 in the future even though there are so many ungrateful fans.
    exactly.............
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    Raineman wrote:

Why don't you take a lesson in sarcasm, I can tell you don't understand it. It just gets old that you come on here and there are 50 threads all about the same thing. I enjoy the boots and I am glad that I got the chance to get them. Buying the boot before hand is the same as anything else you purchase without using/seeing/hearing it first, you run the risk of not liking it. If you did not know this, well, sorry. Good choice, you did not like Hartford and will buy no more.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I totally disagree. I think the 2000 series is the best they have released. Shows like Philadelphia 1 #45 Detroit #51 Jones Beach 3 #41 or Tampa #32(just to name a few) are tremendous. I don't think the 2003 series is as good as 2000. They are still good quality, but not as consistent.

Damn right. The 2000 tour can't be beat. I wish the boots were still of that quality.
  • Options
    After the first two I think the band sounds good. Problem is there is no atmosphere or crowd except between songs. Sounds like they are playing at the bottom of an empty pool. Hence, there is no energy. If they kept the crowd at a steady level I think these would rock. As it is, I think they are by far the worst boots.
    2003 - Champaign (first show), Chicago, Uniondale, MSG II, State College, Alpine Valley; 2004 - Toledo, Grand Rapids; 2005 - Kitchener, London.
  • Options
    hatnhamhatnham Oak Ridge, NJ Posts: 35
    This tone deaf mother fucker will just chill in my happy place with the 2008 boots I love by the band I love while all you fuckers bitch and moan!
    4/17/94, 9/29/96, 9/10/98, 8/7/00, 8/24/00, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04, 5/12/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/12/08, 6/27/08, Ed solo 8/5/08, 10/27/09,5/18/10,10/22/13,5/1/16
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,224
    wise88 wrote:
    Did you know what the boots sounded like any other year before you bought one?, like 2003, when they were all mailed to you.

Like other people have said, if you don't care for the product, don't just keep bitching about it.

I have a shitload of official boots from 00-06. They all sound great and I never gave it a second thought. Bonnaroo 08 arrived a week ago, I listened to it, and it sounded far inferior to the rest.

1. Why is it so offensive to mention this?
    2. If the band tried a different approach, wouldn't they welcome the feedback? Like with anything else they sell, you want to optimize quality and profit.
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,982
    I just want mine to get here so I can decide! I got an email that they were shipped three days ago, and now I probably wont get them until the 28th when we return from a baseball tournament.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 596
    john daker wrote:

Times have changed and so has the quality of recording equipment. They have professionals recording and mixing these. And these shows are about as expensive as a regular studio CD. So, given the quality of some of these boots, it's not a good deal.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    wise88 wrote:

If it was my FAVORITE restaurant EVER? I would give them the benefit of the doubt that it was an isolated incident, and I would make management aware of the situation. Exactly as I've done in this case. Quit bitching about us bitching.