Dissed Pearl Jam:(

Comments

• HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    You may have to kill him......
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    I can’t believe some of you lose respect for someone because they don’t agree with the music you like and that they actually . . . (shudder at the mere thought) . . . don’t like Ed’s voice.

Give me a break.

If you actually judge people on something as trivial as that, it’s very shallow of YOU.

I think the problem from the original poster's point of view is that the response was so negative towards PJ and Ed. I kind of agree with you above in that the harsh negative comments about what people enjoy musically is hard to understand. it's cool if someone doesn't like the same music as i do but that doesn't make me dumb or uncool, it is just a different taste. sometimes people act so high-schoolish like this - like if you don't like the group you have to totally put that person down for liking them. get over yourselves and understand that people are into their own things.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    damen wrote:
    most people who REALLY hate Eddie are right-wingers who just hate liberals...

disagree. I've found that most "true" punks I meet despise Eddie and Pearl Jam. I think they've never gotten past 10 though.

I use "true" laughingly however, as i find these folks to be pretty musiclaly uninformed for the most part.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I can’t believe some of you lose respect for someone because they don’t agree with the music you like and that they actually . . . (shudder at the mere thought) . . . don’t like Ed’s voice.

Give me a break.

If you actually judge people on something as trivial as that, it’s very shallow of YOU.

for ME, i lost respect for MY CUZIN because he's said way more worse things than him not liking Eds voice anymore. Him dissing the boys was just the final act for me. It was a CHOICE not a silly little arms crossed 'im not gonna play with u anymore' deal! He's a chump regardless. :D i do thank him for showing me the way to the best band ever though.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    I always get this."Pearl Jam suck!!" or "they are still together?"
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    I don't mind that people don't like/love Pearl Jam as much as I/we do.

But I don't know how people don't at least respect them. They've always done things their way, and even if you don't like the band, or the music, you got to at least respect that. IMO
  • Being a college student from the Boston area it seems that people usually love pj or hate them. Most people in my neck of the woods around my age are all listening to the newest big thing.. It just bothers me when people that listen to Lil Wayne or The Jonas Brothers call my band terrible. I can relate to all of you-
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    after 17 years...water off a ducks back
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • like kara said either you get it or u don't
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    pdalowsky wrote:
    maybe its good to be in the Uk.

Non one I talk to have either heard of PJ or Eddie, so when i babble on about them constantly I just get blank expressions.

I can second this statement, apart from my work mates / friends / family

Eddie Vedder !!!! what type of name is that ?????
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Being a college student from the Boston area it seems that people usually love pj or hate them. Most people in my neck of the woods around my age are all listening to the newest big thing.. It just bothers me when people that listen to Lil Wayne or The Jonas Brothers call my band terrible. I can relate to all of you-

I say amen to that!! I'm also in college and I feel REALLY sorry for all the kids around me that think The Game, Miley Cyrus, Avril Lavinge, The Jonas Brothers are geniuses!! I just say eew, lol, but then I don't bring them more down than that....It's their sad musical taste and like everyone said here, they're the ones that are missing out.....I SO agree with you yellowporch, this generation's music is just......you know what I mean.....
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    At work, I'm known as a PJ fan.. okay, everyone I've ever met knows I'm a PJ fan.. But I don't play the music all that often. In fact, I am listening to PJ a lot less now than in years past.

But if I turn on some PJ at work, everyone get's all uppity like I play it day in and out. That does kinda piss me off, because they can't even listen to a song without trying to bash it.

Their loss, I guess.
    you just described my brother in a nut shell.
    i mean, i'm in your position, my brother is the equivalent of your coworkers.

i've been in a huge radiohead / arcade fire stage, listen to lots of that and lots and lots of other stuff - but not that much pearl jam stuff lately.
    alive comes on in rockband - i get the :rolleyes:... "you probably don't even need to look at the screen"

SOOO?? :(

this is the guy who listens to NICKELBACK...go figure.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • It's just people's opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. Debating music taste is like debating your favorite color. You either like it, or you don't. I have a friend who HATES PJ, but he's also big into Maroon 5 and Coldplay. After this discussion I knew it wasn't any use trying to talk to him about it. Just accept it and move on. As to the individual who posted that most PJ fans are liberals. I can't even respond to that narrow minded comment. It's about music, not political views. I understand that's part of PJs music, but it's music and it's great music. So sit back, turn it up and enjoy it.
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    random thread bump . . . feeling silly today
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    Most people who i mention PJ to either have never heard of them or say they like Betterman or Daughter. I met a girl last year who was surprised they were still around. She said that Ed must be atleast 50 now, she then kept on drinking the beer i bought with out asking, pushing it there but i kept calm.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Dude, people make fun of Eddie Vedder all the time.......

and I punch each and every one of them.

really? I don't care when people i know don't like them.... it just means they are not as cool as me;) I actually dig it when people don't "get" it....
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    At least he knew who they were... :roll:

Also when people make statements like that i always ask well what albums have you heard... if they cant name one then forget their opinion!
  • TerryibleTerryible Posts: 462
    5against1- wrote:
    Ok here is the story. I was talking w/my organic chem. tutor, today. We started talking about music and when I told him PJ was my favorite band he replied "I hate pearl jam, I can't stand that singer". I was startled by his remark. I honestly can say that I don't have as much respect for him anymore. I understand if people think they are ok. But not if you say you hate them. Can anyone relate. It's hard to explain.

Is it such a big deal if someone doesn't like pearl jam? It’s the guys opinion, it’s not worth crying on a message board about it.

If you are going to lose respect from everyone that doesn't share your taste in music, you won't have many people left to respect.
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    kara5419 wrote:
    plain and simple those people just DON'T GET IT! and i almost feel bad for those folks because it's soo much more than just a band...

you either get it or you don't and i am just glad that i get it...

well said.....you either get it or you don't. WE get it. If someone doesn't get it, that's their loss. I've learned over the years if someone gives me shit about my love for this band and all they do, then fuck em' in the ear and pray that they have a lifetime of earaches.
  • damen wrote:

Not most. They just hate the band because thier 'favorite' band Nirvana is long gone, or like most douche bags these days, they listen to rap. I hate liberals too, buncha dumbies... 8-)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

HAHAHAHAHA :mrgreen:
  • damen wrote:

Not most. They just hate the band because thier 'favorite' band Nirvana is long gone
    your an ass
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--May 30, 2006
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--June 22, 2008
    Lyric Opera House-Baltimore, MD--June 14, 2009(Eddie Vedder Solo)
    Wachovia Spectrum-Philadelphia, PA--Oct 31, 2009

I Only Own My Mind...
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533

:lol:

So you're at this club. This hot beautiful lady comes over to you. Buy's you a drink. A Pearl Jam track is being played in the background. 'The conversation' hit's a brick wall. You mention how Vedder rocks. She giggles and say's she doesn't like his white pant's & makes fun of Ed cause he smokes & Come Back is her least favorite track off the Self Titled record. You stand up pissed tossing the rum & coke all over her shirt & walk away from the scene.

Hopefully that won't happen. Just sayin'!
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    As a music teacher though, he should try to understand your love of any kind of music. i love when freinds of mine do bad eddie impressions and mumble something stupid, but i know just what song there making fun of and start sing the actual lyrics and give them that look, like, it's really not that hard to understand him. :twisted:
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited January 2010
    When you express how much a band means to you personally, and someone has the nerve to respond they " hate" that band, thats pretty much a direct insult to you. It's ok for them to hate the band, but a response like that is uncalled for. They might as well have called you a name. You should have insulted them back.

I don't care how much I hate particular music, if someone tells me Nickelback means the world to them, I might look at them a little crazy, but not give them an opinion unless they asked, and even then a mature opinion would be my response.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    demetrios wrote:

:lol:

So you're at this club. This hot beautiful lady comes over to you. Buy's you a drink. A Pearl Jam track is being played in the background. 'The conversation' hit's a brick wall. You mention how Vedder rocks. She giggles and say's she doesn't like his white pant's & makes fun of Ed cause he smokes & Come Back is her least favorite track off the Self Titled record. You stand up pissed tossing the rum & coke all over her shirt & walk away from the scene.

Hopefully that won't happen. Just sayin'!

And then PJSYCO sweeps in and takes said lady home, making sweet, passionate love to her all night long....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    You should get rid of the tutor hi's clueless ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    i hate the singer from Pearl Jam as well.... sounds like he is trying to rip off that guy from creed :roll:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    5against1- wrote:
    Ok here is the story. I was talking w/my organic chem. tutor, today. We started talking about music and when I told him PJ was my favorite band he replied "I hate pearl jam, I can't stand that singer". I was startled by his remark. I honestly can say that I don't have as much respect for him anymore. I understand if people think they are ok. But not if you say you hate them. Can anyone relate. It's hard to explain.

I have a friend that says Ed's voice reminds him of the goat boy skit from SNL. I'm not saying I believe it, but that is a pretty damn funny thing for a hater to say.

Anyway, just ignore the haters. Your tutor probably listens to Ke$ha or something awful like that.
  • Your teachers an asshole anyway for saying he hated your favorite band in front of you. Even if someone said they liked a band I didn't like, I would never tell them I hated that band.