Dissed Pearl Jam:(

5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Ok here is the story. I was talking w/my organic chem. tutor, today. We started talking about music and when I told him PJ was my favorite band he replied "I hate pearl jam, I can't stand that singer". I was startled by his remark. I honestly can say that I don't have as much respect for him anymore. I understand if people think they are ok. But not if you say you hate them. Can anyone relate. It's hard to explain.
This too shall pass.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dude, people make fun of Eddie Vedder all the time.......

and I punch each and every one of them.
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Dude, people make fun of Eddie Vedder all the time.......

and I punch each and every one of them.
    that won't convert them into fans.

Tie 'em up to a chair and blast PJ boots for hours and hours. :D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    100% Understand. Been through that before. Whenever ppl claim huge hate for them they get immediately written off my list and I just figure they must be complete idiots with horid music taste. Eff your dumb ass teacher. Its clear he's an idiot. Nice guy too...jesus...I love such and such band...OH SUCH AND SUCH BAND SUCKS.

Peace ya dick. Thanks a lot.

Ace that class just to show him how smart you are.
  • LongRd. wrote:
    that won't convert them into fans.

Tie 'em up to a chair and blast PJ boots for hours and hours. :D

At work, I'm known as a PJ fan.. okay, everyone I've ever met knows I'm a PJ fan.. But I don't play the music all that often. In fact, I am listening to PJ a lot less now than in years past.

But if I turn on some PJ at work, everyone get's all uppity like I play it day in and out. That does kinda piss me off, because they can't even listen to a song without trying to bash it.

Their loss, I guess.
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

• i hate it. cuz they ALL make that same stupid voice when they try to imitate him. and its like, wtf, he sang like that for like 2 years! that was 15 years ago! fucking drop it already!
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    At work, I'm known as a PJ fan.. okay, everyone I've ever met knows I'm a PJ fan.. But I don't play the music all that often. In fact, I am listening to PJ a lot less now than in years past.

But if I turn on some PJ at work, everyone get's all uppity like I play it day in and out. That does kinda piss me off, because they can't even listen to a song without trying to bash it.

Their loss, I guess.

Dude...I go through this too. Everyone knows Im a big fan...But I never jam it down anyones throat EVER. I pretty much try and hide it unless the topic comes up and then of course I am Pearl Jamologist but...I feel your pain bro.

If Im in the car and something comes on the radio I get ridiculed.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    My dad was like that... 'til he went with me to the EV Massey Hall show... needless to say, he now enjoys Eddie much more. Interestingly, at first he claimed to like Pearl Jam's music, but not Eddie's "whiney voice". He's gone a full 180, claiming to love Eddie Vedder's voice, but he doesn't think Pearl Jam does it for him. Go figure :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • i hate it. cuz they ALL make that same stupid voice when they try to imitate him. and its like, wtf, he sang like that for like 2 years! that was 15 years ago! fucking drop it already!

LOL, you have to say "yeah, that was his early stuff, later he sounded like [and then yell] DROP THE LEASE DROP THE LEASH GET OUTTA MY FUCKIN FACE!!!"

That'll learn em.
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

• It's all apart of being a fan...
    Nathan
  • TipJammer wrote:
    Dude...I go through this too. Everyone knows Im a big fan...But I never jam it down anyones throat EVER. I pretty much try and hide it unless the topic comes up and then of course I am Pearl Jamologist but...I feel your pain bro.

Ugh, that's what happens to me... only to a lesser degree.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • damendamen Posts: 104
    most people who REALLY hate Eddie are right-wingers who just hate liberals...
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Some girl on myspace gave me her opinion about PJ. I used to have my page plastered with Pearl Jam pics and videos, along with some pics of my cats. She replied, "I don't like cats and I don't like Pearl Jam...I'm allergic to both." That ended that with her.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • plain and simple those people just DON'T GET IT! and i almost feel bad for those folks because it's soo much more than just a band...

i have the stick man sticker of my car and a friend of mine the other day dropped me off at my house and was like "is that a cheerleader sticker on your car?"....right away off instinct i was all "a F*cking cheerleader? are you kidding?" then she said no so i said "oh it's a pearl jam sticker" to me it's not even worth trying to force PJ down peoples throats. you either get it or you don't and i am just glad that i get it...ya know?
    Be good to Rock n Roll and Rock n Roll will be good to you. -Priceless Rock Wisdom-

LA 7-9-06
    Can't wait to add more shows...
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    kara5419 wrote:
    plain and simple those people just DON'T GET IT! and i almost feel bad for those folks because it's soo much more than just a band...

i have the stick man sticker of my car and a friend of mine the other day dropped me off at my house and was like "is that a cheerleader sticker on your car?"....right away off instinct i was all "a F*cking cheerleader? are you kidding?" then she said no so i said "oh it's a pearl jam sticker" to me it's not even worth trying to force PJ down peoples throats. you either get it or you don't and i am just glad that i get it...ya know?

like the "smells like teen spirit" video cheerleaders.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124
    A friend once told me Disturbed is better than Pearl Jam, of course I didn't take that seriously.
  • 5against1- wrote:
    Ok here is the story. I was talking w/my organic chem. tutor, today. We started talking about music and when I told him PJ was my favorite band he replied "I hate pearl jam, I can't stand that singer". I was startled by his remark. I honestly can say that I don't have as much respect for him anymore. I understand if people think they are ok. But not if you say you hate them. Can anyone relate. It's hard to explain.

Tell him that's why he's a teacher. And not a very good one.
  • ''F**k the pessimists, f**k 'em."
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • If someone dissed PJ in front of me, I respect their opinion. But I still wish they die!
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Some people aren't smart enough to understand.. that what I usually say..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    maybe its good to be in the Uk.

Non one I talk to have either heard of PJ or Eddie, so when i babble on about them constantly I just get blank expressions.
  • unfortunately not everyone has awesome taste in music like we do!

but it's a good thing..because if everyone liked them it would be even more hard to score tix!!
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    5against1- wrote:

about a month ago, i got a texxxt from my cuzin who got me into pearl jam. He told me he was seeing the tribute band Vitalogy and i said hey they are a good band! He said "yeah the guy sounds waaaaay better than Eddie does. i cant STAND the way Eddie tries to hard to sing now. Im gladd im not that big of a fan anymore." I couldnt believe my eyes. I just told him that im sorry he felt that way becuz the boys are STILL the best no matter WHAT he thinks and that i will always thank him for getting me into them. He proceeded to tell me that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are MUCH BETTER THAN PEARL JAM. :mad: its safe to say if he was in front of me my fist would have met his face. :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    . He proceeded to tell me that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are MUCH BETTER THAN PEARL JAM.

that is quite frankly absolutely hilarious.

The Chilis were awesome, the key word being were.

Now they are a constant embarrassment, and their live show is really poor
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    pdalowsky wrote:
    . He proceeded to tell me that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are MUCH BETTER THAN PEARL JAM.

that is quite frankly absolutely hilarious.

The Chilis were awesome, the key word being were.

Now they are a constant embarrassment, and their live show is really poor

Exxxactly. See why i no longer speak to him??!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    I think its great people are PJ haters. Makes it easier for me to get better seats at their gigs.
  • EP1973EP1973 Posts: 112
    5against1- wrote:
    And the guy prolly has mad love for Hinder, Nickelback, Creed, and Winger. And can prolly discuss the "merits" of each...lol
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Don't let it bother you. It's your favorite band, not theirs.

Besides, if everyone loved PJ the way we do, it would suck trying to get tickets. 10C numbers would be in the millions by now.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • TipJammer wrote:

I, as well, go through this everyday of my life...

But, unfortunately it's not just at work it's everywhere...

Like yourself, everyone knows me as a huge PJ fan and the second I put some on it's like it's been playing for a week straight to some of these donkeys...

All of my best friends are big fans as well, but they are spread out these days, so I get this effing reaction more and more...

God forbid if some should come on Pandora at my desk...
  • nuzpapernuzpaper Posts: 211
    Not one of my friends can stand Pearl Jam. I don't even try to convert them. To each their own. I do have a cousin who loves them as much as I do so we travel all over to see them. I actually kind of like it that way. I know that I am not missing out on something they are.
    Toronto 96, Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Ottawa 05, Toronto 05, Toronto 06, Toronto 06, Denver 06, Denver 06, Chicago 07, New York 08, New York 08...I'm just getting started
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I can’t believe some of you lose respect for someone because they don’t agree with the music you like and that they actually . . . (shudder at the mere thought) . . . don’t like Ed’s voice.

Give me a break.

If you actually judge people on something as trivial as that, it’s very shallow of YOU.