Options

I don't want PJ20 weekend to turn into a WM3 celebration.

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pjtaper wrote:
    I have a friend that loves Pearl Jam, but won't see them because he disagrees with Ed's views and can't stand to hear him rant about them at each show...

Your friend doesnt 'love' Pearl Jam. Whats the most Ed rants for 3-4 minutes out of a 2 and 1/2 hour show? Take a piss or get a beer.. I cant see someone who likes PJ not going because Ed talks for a few minutes.. That's a lame excuse.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    irish1313irish1313 Michigan Posts: 118
    max8700 wrote:
    I have a problem with any WM3 "celebration"...I of course want these three individuals free if they did not commit the crime, but all I ever think about when reading about this incident is that 3 young boys were murdered. They are dead. Never coming back. Never getting married or having children.

Do I want people in jail for a crime they did not commit? OF COURSE not. But, just for me, I tend to think more about the murdered children. So, anything that is framed as a "celebration" feels a little wrong to me.

Just my two cents.

+1
    Nashville / Detroit 2000
    Grand Rapids 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids / Detroit 2006, Chicago 2009, PJ 20 both days, Wrigley 2013
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 460
    pjtaper wrote:
    God knows we don't want YOUR amazing weekend ruined by something so trivial as this. I mean who cares about anything but what YOU want right? I mean it's your band and it's your place to tell Eddie what to do because you paid a whopping 200 bucks or whatever.

The entitlement/selfishness of people today makes me sick. Rant off.

I never said, or felt, I was entitled to anything.

You need to switch to decaf.
    I thought this was a music festival... less talking, more music! Hopefully Ed won't offend too many people(including his OWN band members)... I have a friend that loves Pearl Jam, but won't see them because he disagrees with Ed's views and can't stand to hear him rant about them at each show...
    I agree!
    Ed, we still trying to Free Tibet?

Exactly. I know that as a PJ/EV fan, buying their albums & going to their shows, I get more then the music. They wear their hearts on their sleeves, and I'm fine with that. Whether I agree w/their views or not is irrelevent, b/c I don't rely on them when I formulate my opinions on things. I rely on them for their music. If they can educate me on things along the way, I look at that as an added bonus.

It's like when Mike Lupica, a legendary sports writer for the NY Daily News, writes about politics, which he's been doing w/more frequency over the past few years. His political opinions are well-crafted & articulate, & he uses facts to back them up. But I don't necessarily wanna read about his political thoughts. I wanna read about his thoughts on the Yankees & Giants.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Right or wrong I can't ever find it in my being to criticize Eddie Vedder.

Given me way too much with so little in return.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I don't think they will because while it's great they are free; there is nothing to celebrate vocally in my opinion. These kids are still marked with murder charges on their records. It's not going to be an easy life especially with what they have been through. And I think they did the right thing getting the hell out of jail nor do I expect anyone to champion injustice at the expense of their lives. These guys need to live what's left of their lives.

I think Eddie is smart enough to know his fight for them is over but there tremendous injustices still occurring daily. These have been crazy times for everyone I one way or another it seems and I don't really wanted to be reminded of the shitty world this weekend too too much!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    pjtaper wrote:
    I have a friend that loves Pearl Jam, but won't see them because he disagrees with Ed's views and can't stand to hear him rant about them at each show...

Your friend doesnt 'love' Pearl Jam. Whats the most Ed rants for 3-4 minutes out of a 2 and 1/2 hour show? Take a piss or get a beer.. I cant see someone who likes PJ not going because Ed talks for a few minutes.. That's a lame excuse.

Exactly. People are a fucking joke. He doesn't even rant anymore with Obama and the election being done.
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Jeez, these guys haven't been out of prison for more than an hour or two and you guys are already fighting about it. Damien Echols is Ed's FRIEND. He's not just some political cause to be argued over. While I personally don't want the focus of PJ20 to shift either, if Ed wants to have his FRIEND there to celebrate such a momentous occasion (whether that refers to PJ's 20th Bday or these guys getting out of prison or both), why should he not be able to do that? If you were having a big blowout bash with tons of people celebrating your birthday and one of your FRIENDS was suddenly able to attend with his family because he was unexpectedly released from prison after 17 years for a crime he likely didn't commit, wouldn't you want him there to celebrate with you or to at least be able to acknowledge it at your own party? More often than not, the generosity and passion of the 10C members is amazing to me but at times the petty bickering over things that HAVEN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET drives me up a wall. Now can we please go back to arguing over the re-entry policy, or the schedule, or the non pre-sale for posters, etc. etc.?
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Jeez, these guys haven't been out of prison for more than an hour or two and you guys are already fighting about it. Damien Echols is Ed's FRIEND. He's not just some political cause to be argued over. While I personally don't want the focus of PJ20 to shift either, if Ed wants to have his FRIEND there to celebrate such a momentous occasion (whether that refers to PJ's 20th Bday or these guys getting out of prison or both), why should he not be able to do that? If you were having a big blowout bash with tons of people celebrating your birthday and one of your FRIENDS was suddenly able to attend with his family because he was unexpectedly released from prison after 17 years for a crime he likely didn't commit, wouldn't you want him there to celebrate with you or to at least be able to acknowledge it at your own party? More often than not, the generosity and passion of the 10C members is amazing to me but at times the petty bickering over things that HAVEN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET drives me up a wall. Now can we please go back to arguing over the re-entry policy, or the schedule, or the non pre-sale for posters, etc. etc.?

Exactly!
    the only way people should be pissed is if the Wm3 get fan club seats..Clearly they should have to start over and get #489,117. Back row Wm3! haha, j/k ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,169
    Heisenberg wrote:
    well said....and dont forget poster tubes...is the biggest issue ever..lol
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    :lol::lol::lol: This place is nuts i tell ya :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Heisenberg wrote:

agreed....I am envious of people who have space for these issues in the "major worries" department in their brain!
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    pjtaper wrote:

Oh, guess he doesn't love Pearl Jam... he owns every album, knows the lyrics, has seen them a lot, but you are the judge... Do I love Pearl Jam? I don't want to hear Ed talk about the WM3... or Laird Hamilton, or Sean Penn... but I do like all the celebs I get to sit by in the 10C seats!!! Still waiting to get an Olsen Twin a beer, once they are 21 of course :oops:
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    pjtaper wrote:

Oh, guess he doesn't love Pearl Jam... he owns every album, knows the lyrics, has seen them a lot, but you are the judge... Do I love Pearl Jam? I don't want to hear Ed talk about the WM3... or Laird Hamilton, or Sean Penn... but I do like all the celebs I get to sit by in the 10C seats!!! Still waiting to get an Olsen Twin a beer, once they are 21 of course :oops:
    Life isn't fair man. Quit whining.
  • Options
    Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    Heisenberg wrote:

I personally don't need a poster tube. I am just going to get the poster tattooed on my back. LOL
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    The WM3 will be mentioned at PJ20.

I don't want it to be a big part, but it is the band's celebration as much as it is ours, so if that's what they want. I really hope those guys didn't kill those kids.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    yaallllll ever see those long narrow bags? some of them work QUITE well as portable poster tubes... not sure where to find them, I was given one by a fellow addict in KC :)
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:

I personally don't need a poster tube. I am just going to get the poster tattooed on my back. LOL
    signed and numbered.. :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,940

I for one would hate if that changed because he offended a few narrow minded thinkers.

:lol:

The guy who is angry at people voicing an opinion he disagrees with is complaining about people being narrow minded! Gotta love the internet.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

I for one would hate if that changed because he offended a few narrow minded thinkers.

:lol:

The guy who is angry at people voicing an opinion he disagrees with is complaining about people being narrow minded! Gotta love the internet.
    There are only losers in an online fight!
  • Options
    I'm surprised nobody heard....PJ 20 is not going to be music. It's planned to be a bunch of talk about WM3, The Economy, The Stock Market, The Price of Gold, 911, Sarah Palin, Obama, Bush, Romney, Jerry Springer, Oprah, Snooki, The Situation and I heard the cast of the Jersey Shore is going to be there and get the entire crowd fist pumping to some house beats before PJ comes out to talk.

I don't want it to rain but there's not much I can do about that..Mother Nature controls the weather just as Ed, Stone, Mike, Matt, Jeff and Boom control what PJ does. They don't have to play music, they could just all sit on stools and chat for a couple hours if they really wanted to.

If a little politics or current event chatter bothers or bores anyone...there's always plenty of options..you could leave, go take a piss, go get a beer, ect. ect.

If they didn't talk about or express their beliefs and opinions they wouldn't be PJ and they'd have nothing to hold a festival about.

Their live shows have never disappointed me yet and I've never met or heard anyone say a PJ show sucked EVER and I'm pretty sure they planned all those past shows. They have done pretty damn good IMHO.

I'm sure they appreciate all the fan suggestions but I'm also confident they do whatever the hell they feel like doing and that is why I love this band!
    If they listened to what everyone wanted them to do all these years, right now they'd probably be dressed up like chicks wearing lip gloss with big hair singing pop songs on a state fair tour.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    fugawzi wrote:
    I doubt it would turn into a "WM3 celebration" but expect Eddie to talk about it. I hope he does go off on a tangent about it and politics, if you don't like Eddie's ramblings then too damn bad, it's part of the show. Go see some band who doesn't talk about politics if it bothers you that much.

Amen! That's part of the Pearl Jam personality. It wouldn't be a show if he didn't talk about it.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Don't worry, OP, I don't think the WM3 can leave the state, since they got 10 years probation.

Does that make you feel better??
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    saveyousaveyou Posts: 38
    I'm glad an injustice was set right today. I'm glad for people like Ed and all the others who invested themselves in speaking up for these guys, raising awareness and staying committed to getting them freed for all these years. Complete strangers speaking up b/c an injustice was served upon another human being. If something like that happened to me, I'd sure hope there would be someone like Ed to be moved to act on my behalf. So, if they want to include it in the PJ20 weekend, that's alright with me. The spirit of activism is steeped in this band and in their music. Why shouldn't it be part of celebrating these great artists and the longevity of a great, great band.
    The selfish, they're all standing in line
    Faithing and hoping to buy themselves time
    Me, I figure as each breath goes by
    I only own my mind
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Speak for yourself... the worry of this taking over PJ20 is all I can think about now. :lol:
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    drsluggo wrote:
    Speak for yourself... the worry of this taking over PJ20 is all I can think about now. :lol:

and on top of that (if that wasn't already enough!!), i need to decide which socks to wear!! :shock:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    mfc2006 wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

and on top of that (if that wasn't already enough!!), i need to decide which socks to wear!! :shock:
    See... you already had your plate full of worry.

I still need to figure out the hotel AND I now I have to worry about baking a cake for the WM3 Celebration @ Alpine.
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

take some extra with u..if no space at your bag....put them in the poster tube!!! :shock: :lol::lol:
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    I highly doubt it will be a WM3 celebration. I think Ed will make a polite remark somewhere in the show thanking everyone for their support, either directly before or after Army Reserve is played. That's about all I see this becoming.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    cprater wrote:
    I'm glad an injustice was set right today. I'm glad for people like Ed and all the others who invested themselves in speaking up for these guys, raising awareness and staying committed to getting them freed for all these years. Complete strangers speaking up b/c an injustice was served upon another human being. If something like that happened to me, I'd sure hope there would be someone like Ed to be moved to act on my behalf. So, if they want to include it in the PJ20 weekend, that's alright with me. The spirit of activism is steeped in this band and in their music. Why shouldn't it be part of celebrating these great artists and the longevity of a great, great band.

Here here, well said - the best first post I've ever read here :thumbup:
This discussion has been closed.