Options

I don't want PJ20 weekend to turn into a WM3 celebration.

We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
edited August 2011 in The Porch
Hear me out. I admit, I have not followed the case closely. I have a basic understanding of what has transpired.

The fact that the WM3 were railroaded simply because they looked/acted different is a complete and utter shame. It seems that the handling of the case was/is at best, poor, and at worst, frighteningly and dangerously inept.

And while it's great that the WM3 will be able to re-enter society, and essentially start over, they've lost quite a bit of their lives for crimes they didn't commit. They won't be able to get that time back.

Worst of all, 3 little boys are dead, and no one has been rightfully punished for it.

But PJ20 is a celebration of Pearl Jam.

If PJ wants to have a benefit for these guys, help them get back on their feet, that's fine. No problem with that.

And if Ed wants to mention/lead cheers for their release, that's fine too.

But let's not trot them out to sing backup on "Rocking In The Free World".

The case is a very sensitive, very polarizing one. I know it's important to the band, or at least Ed.

But I want the weekend to be fun.

You could say that the celebration of freedom, of justice, for the WM3, is the pinnacle/apex of fun. I don't disagree.

But save it for another time.
If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I guess noone cares :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    OP, AMEN
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    I AM NOT cooking any fucking food for DAMIEN ECHOLS at the tailgate.....hehehehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    this is a celebration weekend for the 20 years bands history..i dont see that will happen..
    ed will say on stage what ever he wants...all will be ok..all will be about the greatest band of all times..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    OP, AMEN

Agree completely with that, but sadly, I lean more towards this...
    Brisk. wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    I couldn't agree more. Great post OP.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    It'll get mentioned I am guessing, for that so what, no big deal typical Ed talk....if they somehow get out of prison and 2 weeks later are on the stage for a Pearl jam concert....that would be a ridiculous action on their part and the band's part. Seriously go spend time with your families not a fucking concert.

Good for them, but it has no place at PJ20 a celebration of PJ not the WM3
  • Options
    Mamasan80Mamasan80 Posts: 298
    Hear me out. I admit, I have not followed the case closely. I have a basic understanding of what has transpired.

The fact that the WM3 were railroaded simply because they looked/acted different is a complete and utter shame. It seems that the handling of the case was/is at best, poor, and at worst, frighteningly and dangerously inept.

And while it's great that the WM3 will be able to re-enter society, and essentially start over, they've lost quite a bit of their lives for crimes they didn't commit. They won't be able to get that time back.

Worst of all, 3 little boys are dead, and no one has been rightfully punished for it.

But PJ20 is a celebration of Pearl Jam.

If PJ wants to have a benefit for these guys, help them get back on their feet, that's fine. No problem with that.

And if Ed wants to mention/lead cheers for their release, that's fine too.

The case is a very sensitive, very polarizing one. I know it's important to the band, or at least Ed.

But I want the weekend to be fun.

You could say that the celebration of freedom, of justice, for the WM3, is the pinnacle/apex of fun. I don't disagree.

But save it for another time.

+1. If we have to sit through an Army Reserve duet and I don't hear Girl, I'm gonna be pissed :)
  • Options
    My fear is a long winded speach about politics...no better way than turn a bunch of PJ fans having a good time into Republicans or Democrats. I know, I know...it's their stage and I know where they stand...and I'm glad to listen to it in a SONG.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217

Why not? He's had 18 years to practice his singing.. maybe he'll be awesome! ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 874
    I doubt it would turn into a "WM3 celebration" but expect Eddie to talk about it. I hope he does go off on a tangent about it and politics, if you don't like Eddie's ramblings then too damn bad, it's part of the show. Go see some band who doesn't talk about politics if it bothers you that much.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:
    I doubt it would turn into a "WM3 celebration" but expect Eddie to talk about it. I hope he does go off on a tangent about it and politics, if you don't like Eddie's ramblings then too damn bad, it's part of the show. Go see some band who doesn't talk about politics if it bothers you that much.

Why would you hope he goes off on a rant about politics? All that is going to do is get the crowd all riled up and pissed off.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I'd rather them sing backup on RITFW than hear No More again... :lol:
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:

Why would you hope he goes off on a rant about politics? All that is going to do is get the crowd all riled up and pissed off.

I've been to many shows, as I'm sure you have and never once has the crowd gotten riled up and pissed off at Eddie's speeches. It's part of the show, I love when he speaks his mind and so do lots of other fans. If they aren't used to it then they must not have been to many shows.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    I could agree to a point if it would be something out of character...but it would not be, in any way shape or form. I know some still don't like it, but Ed talks politics and causes he is passionate about...this won't be the first time, nor the last...not to mention his own close personal involvement with these boys, not like he is just some celeb cashing in now that it is news again. He has been involved when it wasn't popular.

I don't think it will overshadow anything...but it would be out of character, and to me-a disappointment if it wasn't at least mentioned.
    I mean I dare you to sing "Black" and not feel it.
    I dare you.
    I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough.
    It doesn't work.
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:
    I've been to many shows, as I'm sure you have and never once has the crowd gotten riled up and pissed off at Eddie's speeches. It's part of the show, I love when he speaks his mind and so do lots of other fans. If they aren't used to it then they must not have been to many shows.
    apparently you skipped uniondale ;)
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:

Maybe "riled up" was the wrong phrase. But you do hear plenty of boos when Eddie starts on his rants. It's great that he's so passionate about politics, but I'm just not a fan of when he does it at the shows.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    fugawzi wrote:

Maybe "riled up" was the wrong phrase. But you do hear plenty of boos when Eddie starts on his rants. It's great that he's so passionate about politics, but I'm just not a fan of when he does it at the shows.

i'd never heard "plenty of boos"... esp at the start of a rant... maybe as it goes along people start getting chirpy... although i guess the bush mask thing did stir some people
  • Options
    max8700max8700 Posts: 205
    I have a problem with any WM3 "celebration"...I of course want these three individuals free if they did not commit the crime, but all I ever think about when reading about this incident is that 3 young boys were murdered. They are dead. Never coming back. Never getting married or having children.

Do I want people in jail for a crime they did not commit? OF COURSE not. But, just for me, I tend to think more about the murdered children. So, anything that is framed as a "celebration" feels a little wrong to me.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    fugawzi wrote:

Missed that one, but I was at Bristow, VA last year when Eddie suggested Goldman Sachs lobbyists should kill themselves. I'm sure mostly everyone knew he was halfway kidding but I didn't hear any booing or anyone getting riled up. We expect it anyone who would get worked up over Ed's speeches shouldn't be at the show.
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:
    fugawzi wrote:

Missed that one, but I was at Bristow, VA last year when Eddie suggested Goldman Sachs lobbyists should kill themselves. I'm sure mostly everyone knew he was halfway kidding but I didn't hear any booing or anyone getting riled up. We expect it anyone who would get worked up over Ed's speeches shouldn't be at the show.

So if someone disagrees with EV's political rants, they shouldn't be able to go to the show?? Thats a bit much...
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:

I'm not anyone expects him to make those kids of comments... I remember being taken aback by that one. But yeah, he's going to say his thing and hopefully he can keep it concise so it doesn't ramble on... he tends to lose effectiveness as he goes on sometimes once he's on his second bottle. :lol:
  • Options
    So if someone disagrees with EV's political rants, they shouldn't be able to go to the show?? Thats a bit much...

Where did I say that? I said anyone who gets worked up about it meaning if you have to boo or walk out or start bitching all loudly about it. It's pretty well known that you're going to hear more than just Eddie singing, he's going to speak his mind. To him it's not just a concert it's a mass of people that he feels should hear his opinions.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    drsluggo wrote:
    I'm not anyone expects him to make those kids of comments... I remember being taken aback by that one. But yeah, he's going to say his thing and hopefully he can keep it concise so it doesn't ramble on... he tends to lose effectiveness as he goes on sometimes once he's on his second bottle. :lol:

I don't think anyone expected THOSE kinds of comments but it really shouldn't surprise anyone who's been to more than one show. He gets pretty opinionated and your right especially if he's on the 2nd bottle. That's when it gets really good :lol: .
    Post edited by fugawzi on
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:

Where did I say that? I said anyone who gets worked up about it meaning if you have to boo or walk out or start bitching all loudly about it. It's pretty well known that you're going to hear more than just Eddie singing, he's going to speak his mind. To him it's not just a concert it's a mass of people that he feels should hear his opinions.

Well if someone boos or gets worked up, I would imagine that they disagree with his politics. Just because you don't enjoy EV's political rants doesn't mean you're not worthy of attending a show.
  • Options
    MW3384MW3384 Posts: 122
    How much did Ed pay to make this happen? I hope this isnt the special guests that might be added to the lineup they spoke about. I think I will leave my kids at home for this show j/k

Get ready to see a million WM3 shirts,
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:
    If you listen to his political stuff you can cheer or boo - I mean you don't have to agree with him. It's not a dictatorship. I wouldn't boo even if I disagreed because it would just extend the ranting which would be counterproductive to the booing in the first place. But to each their own...
  • Options
    MW3384 wrote:
    How much did Ed pay to make this happen? I hope this isnt the special guests that might be added to the lineup they spoke about. I think I will leave my kids at home for this show j/k

Get ready to see a million WM3 shirts,
    What gets held up more during the show to get EV's attention/picks/tambourines -- WM3 shirts or *tiny* kids that parents use as props? :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Well if someone boos or gets worked up, I would imagine that they disagree with his politics. Just because you don't enjoy EV's political rants doesn't mean you're not worthy of attending a show.
    drsluggo wrote:
    If you listen to his political stuff you can cheer or boo - I mean you don't have to agree with him. It's not a dictatorship. I wouldn't boo even if I disagreed because it would just extend the ranting which would be counterproductive to the booing in the first place. But to each their own...

Again you can disagree and not enjoy it all you want but when you boo or get all worked up about it vocally, what's the point? He probably can't hear you. You're in the AUDIENCE from the latin to listen or hear. He has the mic therefore you will listen to what he has to say and you should expect it if you've been to more than one show. :D
This discussion has been closed.