Options

I don't want PJ20 weekend to turn into a WM3 celebration.

Comments

• Options
    fugawzi wrote:
    Well if someone boos or gets worked up, I would imagine that they disagree with his politics. Just because you don't enjoy EV's political rants doesn't mean you're not worthy of attending a show.
    drsluggo wrote:
    If you listen to his political stuff you can cheer or boo - I mean you don't have to agree with him. It's not a dictatorship. I wouldn't boo even if I disagreed because it would just extend the ranting which would be counterproductive to the booing in the first place. But to each their own...

Again you can disagree and not enjoy it all you want but when you boo or get all worked up about it vocally, what's the point? He probably can't hear you. You're in the AUDIENCE from the latin to listen or hear. He has the mic therefore you will listen to what he has to say and you should expect it if you've been to more than one show. :D

I'm sure those of us traveling to WI to see PJ20 have been to our fair show of shows :roll: and yes we are used to Eddie speaking his mind. I expect it, and his political rants are a great bathroom/drink refill time for those of us tired of politics in general at this time. I know where Pj stands on politics, it's great they care enough to have an opinion, but I'd rather they SING about it and I doubt I'm the only one. Anyways...my main cocern is the weather..please no rain.
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 874
    drsluggo wrote:
    I'm sure those of us traveling to WI to see PJ20 have been to our fair show of shows :roll: and yes we are used to Eddie speaking his mind. I expect it, and his political rants are a great bathroom/drink refill time for those of us tired of politics in general at this time. I know where Pj stands on politics, it's great they care enough to have an opinion, but I'd rather they SING about it and I doubt I'm the only one. Anyways...my main cocern is the weather..please no rain.

There ya go see, just go to the bathroom or get a drink when he starts in with the speeches. That way I don't have to listen to dumb booing that Ed can't hear anyway. Seriously though you're probably not the only one I'm sure but we all know what to expect so don't be surprised is all I'm saying. We have the albums to hear JUST the music and not any commentary.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089
    fugawzi wrote:
    There ya go see, just go to the bathroom or get a drink when he starts in with the speeches. That way I don't have to listen to dumb booing that Ed can't hear anyway. Seriously though you're probably not the only one I'm sure but we all know what to expect so don't be surprised is all I'm saying. We have the albums to hear JUST the music and not any commentary.

Well, booing isn't dumb. If you agree with what someone says, you cheer and if you disagree, you boo. It's how you have a dialogue with a crowd. I was at that Uniondale show and, believe me, he heard it.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    fugawzi wrote:

Ed can hear the booing... and regards it as debate. See quote from Uniondale '03.

http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/cc/t2003p2.shtml

You're not. Always felt Ed can convey more with his lyrics than any speech he can spout out on the spot (i.e. the song the caused the "debate" at Uniondale)
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    fugawzi wrote:
    Well, booing isn't dumb. If you agree with what someone says, you cheer and if you disagree, you boo. It's how you have a dialogue with a crowd. I was at that Uniondale show and, believe me, he heard it.

I think it's pretty dumb if you know to expect it. Even if he hears it do you really think it's gonna change his mind or make him stop ranting? We cheer and sing when they're performing their music but what good is booing when he's giving an opinion? If people hate it that much then don't go to the show, what's so wrong with that? Everyone's mentioning Uniondale which was 1 show 8 years ago, is this really that common though? Never heard it at any of the shows I've been to since 2000.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

It's not DUMB to have your own opinion. I won't be suprised to hear his rants, I'm just hoping for more singing and less anger, there's enough anger out there already. As I mentioned before, nothing worse than PJ fans having a good time at a show turning into Republicans and Democrats. Anyways I'm done with this topic, it's already going in circles, hope you ALL have a great time I can't wait :D
  • Options
    My favorite Ed quote was when someone asked him about his fans that disagree with his views, during the Storytellers appearance. He said "Fuck 'em!" Classic Ed :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    First, to start off.. The people aren't booing Eddie, they are saying "BOOOOMMMMM".. DUH! :D

Second, I don't know if the WM3 situation is an overly political type of thing.. I think it has more to do with justice and not (D) vs (R), blue v. red.. whatever..

Finally, the post that everyone has skipped and the point that is being missed :arrow:
    max8700 wrote:
    I have a problem with any WM3 "celebration"...I of course want these three individuals free if they did not commit the crime, but all I ever think about when reading about this incident is that 3 young boys were murdered. They are dead. Never coming back. Never getting married or having children.

Do I want people in jail for a crime they did not commit? OF COURSE not. But, just for me, I tend to think more about the murdered children. So, anything that is framed as a "celebration" feels a little wrong to me.

Just my two cents.

but I'm not going to PJ20, I'm going to Canada...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    Lucky One wrote:
    I could agree to a point if it would be something out of character...but it would not be, in any way shape or form. I know some still don't like it, but Ed talks politics and causes he is passionate about...this won't be the first time, nor the last...not to mention his own close personal involvement with these boys, not like he is just some celeb cashing in now that it is news again. He has been involved when it wasn't popular.

I don't think it will overshadow anything...but it would be out of character, and to me-a disappointment if it wasn't at least mentioned.

Really. You're going to be disapointed if it is not mentioned? Really...
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    I'd rather them sing backup on RITFW than hear No More again... :lol:
    :lol:

Also, I couldnt agree more with the OP. There is a time and place to celebrate the WM3, but please not at a Pearl Jam celebration.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I doubt that it will turn into a WM3 celebration but I also doubt any of them will show up, it's probably not the thing they want to do right away.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Tom K wrote:
    First, to start off.. The people aren't booing Eddie, they are saying "BOOOOMMMMM".. DUH! :D

Second, I don't know if the WM3 situation is an overly political type of thing.. I think it has more to do with justice and not (D) vs (R), blue v. red.. whatever..

Good points and your avatar is awesome. I miss Artie so much the show is still great but not the same without Artie. Hoping he comes in at least once more for an interview.
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    fugawzi wrote:
    Tom K wrote:

Good points and your avatar is awesome. I miss Artie so much the show is still great but not the same without Artie. Hoping he comes in at least once more for an interview.

Fi-yaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089
    fugawzi wrote:
    Tom K wrote:

Did you hear Artie when he co-hosted with Nick DiPaolo, filling in for Tony Bruno? He sounded fantastic and had me howling a few times. Check it out if you haven't already; it's out there in podcast form.

/threadjack
  • Options
    Fi-yaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

HA. This was my favorite, ignore the first 20 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1CFUYD ... CDD5A1DB99
  • Options
    I agree also
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I won't be in attendance for PJ20, but I would feel the same way as the OP. I mean, I'm sure it will be mentioned, which I understand, but wouldn't want it to (nor do I think they actually would) turn PJ20 into some WM3 rally.

Personally I think that the case is being identified a little too much with this band. Evidenced by that terribly titled story about "Eddie Vedder's friend" getting out of prison. And further evidenced by all the threads about it on "The Porch" as opposed to "A Moving Train" where they should be, and already are several threads about it by the way. Ed speaks out on a lot of things, and just because he does I don't associate those issues with him or this band. Every time Dubya did something stupid my thoughts didn't turn to what Eddie would think, or that it should be a topic on The Porch.

This was a nationally famous case before Ed came along to lend his support. The first time I heard a musician speaking out on this case, it wasn't even Ed, it was Marilyn Manson. And there are plenty of other musicians who support this cause, from the aforementioned Marilyn Manson going all the way to the other side of the musical spectrum with Natalie Maines and Jack Black. So I don't really see this as a "Pearl Jam story", or that it should become the focus of the PJ20 festival. And like I said, I think the guys have a little bit more taste than that. I'm sure it will be mentioned, but it will still be about Pearl Jam, not this case. So I don't think you need to worry too much OP.

I think it's a good day that these guys are being released, but when people hear this news about the WM3, their thoughts should be turning towards those guys and their families, the victims and their families, and about finding the real guilty party, and not about Pearl Jam & Eddie Vedder. I've read so many posts that were excited for Ed, like that matters in the scope of a murder investigation and the exoneration of three people who were convicted for it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    i agree but i hope they play this :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6w0nnz0 ... re=related
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:
    Fi-yaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

HA. This was my favorite, ignore the first 20 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1CFUYD ... CDD5A1DB99

That's great stuff.

I went to a "Too Fat To Fish" signing in Long Island a couple of years ago. I'm a big guy (I make Artie look small), and I busted his chops about eating so much, and he announced me as his personal trainer. Funny stuff.

Haven't listened to Stern since he left. Not intentionally, just didn't renew my subscription. It'd be great if he came back, but I don't think it'll happen. :(

• Options
    Valid point, but I don't think it will happen.
  • Options
    God knows we don't want YOUR amazing weekend ruined by something so trivial as this. I mean who cares about anything but what YOU want right? I mean it's your band and it's your place to tell Eddie what to do because you paid a whopping 200 bucks or whatever.

The entitlement/selfishness of people today makes me sick. Rant off.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Hear me out. I admit, I have not followed the case closely. I have a basic understanding of what has transpired.

The fact that the WM3 were railroaded simply because they looked/acted different is a complete and utter shame. It seems that the handling of the case was/is at best, poor, and at worst, frighteningly and dangerously inept.

And while it's great that the WM3 will be able to re-enter society, and essentially start over, they've lost quite a bit of their lives for crimes they didn't commit. They won't be able to get that time back.

Worst of all, 3 little boys are dead, and no one has been rightfully punished for it.

But PJ20 is a celebration of Pearl Jam.

If PJ wants to have a benefit for these guys, help them get back on their feet, that's fine. No problem with that.

And if Ed wants to mention/lead cheers for their release, that's fine too.

But let's not trot them out to sing backup on "Rocking In The Free World".

The case is a very sensitive, very polarizing one. I know it's important to the band, or at least Ed.

But I want the weekend to be fun.

You could say that the celebration of freedom, of justice, for the WM3, is the pinnacle/apex of fun. I don't disagree.

But save it for another time.
    Great post!!! There are people dying DAILY, fighting for our country... People with families.. There are fireman running into burning buildings, even good cops dying... but Ed likes the WM3 :roll:
    Did Ed forget about Tibet? It's not any better over there! A good friend reminded me yesterday, yeah, I can talk all the crap I want about how bad Phish is, but at least Trey graduated college and doesn't force his views on the fans, who really just want to hear MUSIC!!!!!!
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    Not a chance... A couple small mentions cause you know theyll be there.

The good part about their presence (you ask)?

They said at their news conference they will attend Alpine Valley but DO NOT want to hear Dirty Frank!

They hate that song too.

:-P
    :clap::lol:
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    Hear me out. I admit, I have not followed the case closely. I have a basic understanding of what has transpired.

The fact that the WM3 were railroaded simply because they looked/acted different is a complete and utter shame. It seems that the handling of the case was/is at best, poor, and at worst, frighteningly and dangerously inept.

And while it's great that the WM3 will be able to re-enter society, and essentially start over, they've lost quite a bit of their lives for crimes they didn't commit. They won't be able to get that time back.

Worst of all, 3 little boys are dead, and no one has been rightfully punished for it.

If PJ wants to have a benefit for these guys, help them get back on their feet, that's fine. No problem with that.

The case is a very sensitive, very polarizing one. I know it's important to the band, or at least Ed.

You could say that the celebration of freedom, of justice, for the WM3, is the pinnacle/apex of fun. I don't disagree.

Great post!!! There are people dying DAILY, fighting for our country... People with families.. There are fireman running into burning buildings, even good cops dying... but Ed likes the WM3 :roll:
    Did Ed forget about Tibet? It's not any better over there! A good friend reminded me yesterday, yeah, I can talk all the crap I want about how bad Phish is, but at least Trey graduated college and doesn't force his views on the fans, who really just want to hear MUSIC!!!!!!

Yeah he really "forces" you to buy his albums. I mean that Eddie Vedder is so poor and desperate.

And how dare he use his power to stand up for three gentleman like the WM3? I'd rather he just sing about Amerucca like Toby Keith or something!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I just saw the press conference for the WM3s release.
    I'd be surprised if they attneded PJ20.. They looked scared and tired. I'll bet it will be difficult for them to assimilate back into society (like Brooks in Shawshank Redemption).

I'll bet they will want to lay low for awhile (just my guess), and i'll bet Ed mentions it, but doesnt dwell on it.

Btw, I think i saw Ed in the background of the press conference. It must feel good for him to have participated in al lthis work to help free those guys.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:

Yeah he really "forces" you to buy his albums. I mean that Eddie Vedder is so poor and desperate.

And how dare he use his power to stand up for three gentleman like the WM3? I'd rather he just sing about Amerucca like Toby Keith or something!
    Didn't say anything about forcing me to buy albums... I didn't buy the pUke Songs album... haven't even listened to it fully... musical talent does FORCE me to buy PJ albums, but DEF not Ed's political views.
  • Options
    God knows we don't want YOUR amazing weekend ruined by something so trivial as this. I mean who cares about anything but what YOU want right? I mean it's your band and it's your place to tell Eddie what to do because you paid a whopping 200 bucks or whatever.

I never said, or felt, I was entitled to anything.

You need to switch to decaf.

• Options

I thought this was a music festival... less talking, more music! Hopefully Ed won't offend too many people(including his OWN band members)... I have a friend that loves Pearl Jam, but won't see them because he disagrees with Ed's views and can't stand to hear him rant about them at each show...
    I agree!
    Ed, we still trying to Free Tibet?
  • Options
    Didn't say anything about forcing me to buy albums... I didn't buy the pUke Songs album... haven't even listened to it fully... musical talent does FORCE me to buy PJ albums, but DEF not Ed's political views.[/quote]

You can't have some of it and not all of it. The reason Eddie is one of the greatest musicians of our time is because of his passion and his authenticity.

I for one would hate if that changed because he offended a few narrow minded thinkers.
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:

I thought this was a music festival... less talking, more music! Hopefully Ed won't offend too many people(including his OWN band members)... I have a friend that loves Pearl Jam, but won't see them because he disagrees with Ed's views and can't stand to hear him rant about them at each show...
    I agree!
    Ed, we still trying to Free Tibet?

I hope he personally offends all mental midgets like your friend. Somebody needs to.
This discussion has been closed.