Anyone an HD snob?

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    I am a total HD snob. I refused to go to a super bowl party a friend of mine was having last year because he didnt have an HDTV. Also, I can't stand when I'm out at a bar trying to watch a game and there's no HD. So many bars have the actual HDTVs, but don't get the HD service...drives me crazy.

That's infuriating.

It's the worst....you have already spent the money to buy the HDTV, but you're too cheap to pay the $7-8 per month for each TV to have the HD picture???
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I am a total HD snob. I refused to go to a super bowl party a friend of mine was having last year because he didnt have an HDTV. Also, I can't stand when I'm out at a bar trying to watch a game and there's no HD. So many bars have the actual HDTVs, but don't get the HD service...drives me crazy.

That's infuriating.

It's the worst....you have already spent the money to buy the HDTV, but you're too cheap to pay the $7-8 per month for each TV to have the HD picture???

:thumbup:
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    I can give or take...don't really care...but I am married to an HD snob.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

81, for some reason I took you as an HD guy. :think:

Cheap > hd

You need to treat yourself to an upgrade. I can't believe all of these sports games that we talk about around here...you are watching in SD!!!

my 32in tube is still going strong.

i did a bunch of research this spring and almost bought a 50-55in tv, but i always keep coming to the same conclusion. no need to replace something that works fine.

picture may be clearer on a big screen, but i fail to find the $1k benifit in that.

i've watched games in HD at the bar and at out peoples places and yes it looks good.

i just don't believe in replacing something until it's fully worn out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    If it is a program that is available in HD, then yes. If it is only available in SD then no.
    I canceled all my cable 2 weeks ago anyway so I guess I'm limited to what's available via torrent now!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

That's infuriating.

All of the major networks, CBS, NBC, ABC, WB, WTTW, FOX broadcast in HD. You don't need to pay anything.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i am sorry that your friend's tv does not meet your expectations.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

:lol:

clearly, 71 should be hosting the superbowl party going forward.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    chadwick wrote:

I wouldn't watch the Super Bowl without HD either...but then again I am an HD snob!
    DS1119 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

I wouldn't watch the Super Bowl without HD either...but then again I am an HD snob!
    i wouldn't watch the super bowl, period...
    then again if i did i would watch it on my old black & white 19 incher whilst spinning pearl jam and grateful dead vinyl during commercials... i don't need the pepsi and budweiser adds crammed up my ass every other minute i turn around :evil:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Gob wrote:

All of the major networks, CBS, NBC, ABC, WB, WTTW, FOX broadcast in HD. You don't need to pay anything.

How's the picture quality of the over the air broadcast? Have you seen it?
    chadwick wrote:
    then again if i did i would watch it on my old black & white 19 incher whilst spinning pearl jam and grateful dead vinyl during commercials... i don't need the pepsi and budweiser adds crammed up my ass every other minute i turn around :evil:

Ok ok...no HD for you we get it. No reason to get so excited. :lol: :thumbup:
    DS1119 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

http://youtu.be/h-LbvFckptY :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

http://youtu.be/h-LbvFckptY :lol:

I won't watch the video you posted because when I opened it they tried to shove a Bing commercial up my ass! :lol:
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,365
    Without a doubt. I don't even scan through the SD channels at all anymore.

When watching television in HD, the SD channels look worse than they do when your service is just basic SD.

SD channels with HD = 4
    SD channels without HD = 8

True story
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    DS1119 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

It's a digital broadcast. There is no degradation. You either have a perfect digital image or it breaks up. Just get a strong antenna if there's problems. When I lived in the city, close to the source of the broadcast, all I needed was a paper clip sticking out of the input. 8-)
    Gob wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

It's a digital broadcast. There is no degradation. You either have a perfect digital image or it breaks up. Just get a strong antenna if there's problems. When I lived in the city, close to the source of the broadcast, all I needed was a paper clip sticking out of the input. 8-)

Didn't know this. Thanks for the info.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Somehow over time - I've become a "snob"... :D The HD quality is great - especially when your eyesight is going.... :)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773
    I do not have hi-def, no DVR, no Tivo, no blu-ray.

+1 but if i had the extra money i would buy a new tv.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    chadwick wrote:

For the Super Bowl.....no, it did not meet my expectations. I'm going to watch the biggest sporting event of the year on a big ass HDTV.
    81 wrote:

i did a bunch of research this spring and almost bought a 50-55in tv, but i always keep coming to the same conclusion. no need to replace something that works fine.

picture may be clearer on a big screen, but i fail to find the $1k benifit in that.

i've watched games in HD at the bar and at out peoples places and yes it looks good.

I hear you with not replacing something until it has worn out.

But once you do make the switch to HD, you'll be an HD snob for sure. :):)
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    DS1119 wrote:
    I absolutely can not watch a program on TV unless it's in HD. Anyone else like this?

We still got the old style TV, I cannot watch it now after getting used to HD.
    It's so fuzzy and uneasy on the eyes, HD only now!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    81 wrote:

no doubt about it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Most of the stuff I watch is available in HD. It's really the only way to watch tv. Can't wait for football season!!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    We have a HD TV and PS3 but a lot of programmes still aren't screened in HD here yet. The picture quality is awesome but I have to admit that watching sport in HD hurts my eyes, it's just too clear, my eyes can't cope with the clarity :wtf: :crazy:
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    oh yes,

I am a digital music snob too, go lossless whenever I can, hate 128kps mp3's like a non-HD broadcast. Bearable if no alternative, but grinning and bearing it the whole way through.

If digital TV is not in HD it is not worth watching
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    81 wrote:

Yep, I definitely am. When our Sony finally gave up the ghost we went and bought a 52" HDTV. Took the hubby a few months to join me in the basement where it was set up, but he finally did :lol: Now we're both HD snobs. Don't think we've had the TV on the main floor on to watch in months. We've been invited over to friends houses to watch hockey, but we've politely declined (cause they don't have HD :roll: ;):lol: )
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Have had HD for a couple of years now. Big deal.
    #FHP
    Almost was sucked in yesterday....then i came to my senses
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Watching standard definition tv now is like looking at a tv with a dirty towel covering the screen.

1080P HD TV with a Bluray player= nothing better.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.