Options

EV no longer vegetarian?

Comments

• Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    DS1119 wrote:
    Animals don't starve and enslave other animals so they can be well fed lol

Please do some research and then you will understand. Some of you might not like to read or think, but if you do, you can start by typing "factory farming" into google

If they had thumbs and well developed brains they most certainly would. :lol:

:lol: Thank you
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DS1119 wrote:

Please do some research and then you will understand. Some of you might not like to read or think, but if you do, you can start by typing "factory farming" into google

You're welcome.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,261
    My son became vegetarian after reading Fast Food Nation. Reading about factory farming makes most people think twice about what they are eating. I just read this lovely little blurb this morning: http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com ... rains.html

I remember a Mennonite cookbook that my mom had waaaaay back in the seventies; I still can recall a passage from that book that said it takes ten pounds of plant material to produce a pound of meat. That's something to ponder.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

You are a self righteous prick.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

I just ate a cheeseburger.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Yes, USA uses (wastes) most of the world's resources.... This especially applies to meat consumption.

"I don't feel like Satan, but I am to them"

Do some research and see how destructive factory farming is.

Or just enjoy being in the Upper Class of the world and not giving a damn about the others on your planet. This seems to be the more popular attitude.
    Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million
    Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million
    Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by people: 20
    Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 80
    Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95
    Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90
    How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2.3 seconds
    Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000
    Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250
    Percentage of U.S. farmland devoted to beef production: 56
    Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16

Yea yea yea, Manifest Destiny and all that... This is Amurrrrica. My countryyy... Where everyone is equal - except women, Africans, the Working Class, etc.

:mrgreen:
    :roll: Animals don't starve and enslave other animals so they can be well fed lol

It's not whether eating meat is "good" or "bad" as good and bad do not exist, they are perspectives....

Pearl Jam is a group that seems to be dedicated to conservation & social justice, and to participate in factory farming is a very Destructive, selfish, and smug act.

But again, this is Amurrrica... Everyone else can bend down to us because we are the Upper Class of the planet :D

:lol: Who are you arguing with?

Don’t worry, a few smilies, and a couple of well placed PJ lyrics totally excuse your blanket judgments on the majority of the people reading this forum. I hope your glass house is off-grid, and built with only locally sourced green products.
    You call meat eaters smug, while patronizing and insulting all of us?
    Your points deserve credence, however your presentation does more damage to your cause than good. You do realize that after leaving this thread, most meat eaters are thinking ‘typical vegetarian douche...fuck him lets go for wings’, and not ‘I should read more about factory farms'….right?
  • Options
    Please do some research and then you will understand. Some of you might not like to read or think, but if you do, you can start by typing "factory farming" into google[/quote]

If they had thumbs and well developed brains they most certainly would. :lol:[/quote]

:lol: Thank you[/quote]

I just ate a cheeseburger.[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Please do some research and then you will understand. Some of you might not like to read or think, but if you do, you can start by typing "factory farming" into google[/quote]

If they had thumbs and well developed brains they most certainly would. :lol:[/quote]

:lol: Thank you[/quote]

I just ate a cheeseburger.[/quote]

I am currently grilling a 20oz New York Strip Steak. I wonder how much corn and oats it took to make this fucker!! Yum! :D
  • Options
    Reading this article and being a vegetarian allows me to conclude that he was ordering a veggie dog. How do I know? Well, when's the last time you ordered a hot dog at a ballpark stand and had to wait 7 minutes? It never happens, as they always have hot dogs pre-cooked and ready to be served up.

However, a veggie dog order from a hot dog stand is rare, and so often they do not cook them unless someone orders one. Every time i've ordered a veggie dog from a hot dog stand they've told me it's going to be a little bit of a wait.
    So after 6 years....

Thats all it took to get you to make your 1st post???

All we needed to do was discuss veggie dogs????

hehehehehehehe

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Does it really matter if he is or isn't anymore!?!? Seriously, this thread is as rediculous as the one where everyone argued over whether or not he dyed his hair!! ( still LMAO at that one!!)
    Here is something to consider.. ever wonder why the Fish and Game put out limits that change each year for hunting and fishing?? Here's why.. we need so many of each species in order to maintain a proper balance in the ecosystem.. too many causes disease and malnutrition as well as vegetative devestation. Too little and other species begin to take over, causing a massively destructive pattern which is much harder to control than it is to simply avoid altogether through modified culling of natural species.
    Just the same for vegetarians, vegans and carnivores.. there's got to be so many of each or we're all fighting to eat the same thing, causing a catastrophic devestation to the ecosystem.. so leave well enough alone..I eat meat, so you don't have to.. look at it that way.. :)
  • Options
    Veggie hot dogs???
    How the fuck do you order those????

"Ummmm....I would like a celery stalk on a bun please....."

hehehe

I know how you order them. First thing you have to do is find someone else to order it for you so you're not surrounded by a group of people pointing their fingers and gigling at you. :D
  • Options
    Does it really matter if he is or isn't anymore!?!? Seriously, this thread is as rediculous as the one where everyone argued over whether or not he dyed his hair!! ( still LMAO at that one!!)
    Here is something to consider.. ever wonder why the Fish and Game put out limits that change each year for hunting and fishing?? Here's why.. we need so many of each species in order to maintain a proper balance in the ecosystem.. too many causes disease and malnutrition as well as vegetative devestation. Too little and other species begin to take over, causing a massively destructive pattern which is much harder to control than it is to simply avoid altogether through modified culling of natural species.
    Just the same for vegetarians, vegans and carnivores.. there's got to be so many of each or we're all fighting to eat the same thing, causing a catastrophic devestation to the ecosystem.. so leave well enough alone..I eat meat, so you don't have to.. look at it that way.. :)

He didn't dye his hair.
  • Options
    Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million
    Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million
    Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16

Yea yea yea, Manifest Destiny and all that... This is Amurrrrica. My countryyy... Where everyone is equal - except women, Africans, the Working Class, etc.

Do you know how much corn is killed each year by vegetarians?? Those are living creatures on this Earth as well. Don't even get me started on how many oats are fucking slaughtered. :D
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    DS1119 wrote:

Do you know how much corn is killed each year by vegetarians?? Those are living creatures on this Earth as well. Don't even get me started on how many oats are fucking slaughtered. :D

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus.

Hallelujah brother! :clap:
  • Options
    Starve the Poor so we can Be Well Fed :lol:
  • Options

Don’t worry, a few smilies, and a couple of well placed PJ lyrics totally excuse your blanket judgments on the majority of the people reading this forum. I hope your glass house is off-grid, and built with only locally sourced green products.
    Your points deserve credence, however your presentation does more damage to your cause than good. You do realize that after leaving this thread, most meat eaters are thinking ‘typical vegetarian douche...fuck him lets go for wings’, and not ‘I should read more about factory farms'….right?

I clearly stated those who participate in factory farming, not those who eat meat. This is the problem with language, it can get distorted and misunderstood. We will see the consequences of our actions in the coming years :) We're leaving this planet to the children anyways, right? :lol:

I realized that many meat eaters on this thread are not going to research factory farming and say "Let's go eat meat" because as you can see, that is what happened within the initial posts.

Thank you for your post, God Bless You and God Bless Amurrrica!
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Christians and their [inappropriate rude comment slandering an entire group based on the actions of some removed.]
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head!

I do have one problem, though, with your statement. Humans are exempt from this ecosystem you speak of and can do whatever they please. The world, after all, was made solely for humans, right?

Furthermore, there has to be millions and millions of poor people so that some of us can feel richer than them and be well fed! I'm sure glad I have white skin ;) The world is "well enough" for me :lol:
    Post edited by LiteTheMatch on
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Apparently you missed the point. I recommend a critical thinking & reading course at your local college.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    I can't believe this topic has 6 pages
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Apparently you missed the point. I recommend a critical thinking & reading course at your local college.

Seriously, get off your high horse bud. I am college educated and very well at that so you have no right to insult my intelligence because I don't agree with you. Also I am very proud to live in the United States and anything that brings food to my table cheaper is very well accepted. When you give up all of your worldly belongings, live off of the Earth, and spend all of your time working for the bettering of mankind then come find me and preach. In the meantime I'll eat my factory farmed meat (which is effecient and less costly to us, the "elite" as you put it) until peopel like you come up with an economically viable solution. And to address your point about how much food from our country goes towards feeding cattle and other livestock to consume, well until other countries pay our farmers for their land, time, and hard work do you think they will just start shipping food worldwide for free? Please tell me Mr. Holier Than Though you really don't believe that?
  • Options
    hell_man_madehell_man_made Toronto Posts: 318
    I told someone I had a burger for lunch today, but it was made by boca.

been vegan for 9 years & veggie for 2 more... sometimes ya just don't have to clarify "veggie" in front of every meat-like thing you eat.

:clap::D

i think he ordered a meatless hot dog...that's what i'm gonna believe anyways 8-)
    Vancouver 1998, Seattle 2000, Seattle 2002, Vancouver 2003, Vancouver 2005, The Gorge 2006, Seattle 2 2009, Vancouver 2009, Ridgefield/Portland 2009, PJ20, Saskatoon 2011, Vancouver 2011, Buffalo 2013, Detroit 2014, Chicago/Wrigley August 2016

Ed: Seattle 1 & 2 2011, Bridge School 2011
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    Veggie hot dogs???

Arent those called....
    Ummm.......

Pickles on a stick??????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    hell_man_madehell_man_made Toronto Posts: 318
    Veggie hot dogs???

Arent those called....
    Ummm.......

Pickles on a stick??????

yeah sure! as long as it's not a dead animal on a stick ;)
    i'll ask for a pickle/carrot/celery on a stick next time i order one & see what kind of reaction i get ;):D
    Vancouver 1998, Seattle 2000, Seattle 2002, Vancouver 2003, Vancouver 2005, The Gorge 2006, Seattle 2 2009, Vancouver 2009, Ridgefield/Portland 2009, PJ20, Saskatoon 2011, Vancouver 2011, Buffalo 2013, Detroit 2014, Chicago/Wrigley August 2016

Ed: Seattle 1 & 2 2011, Bridge School 2011
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

I clearly stated those who participate in factory farming, not those who eat meat. This is the problem with language, it can get distorted and misunderstood. We will see the consequences of our actions in the coming years :) We're leaving this planet to the children anyways, right? :lol:

I realized that many meat eaters on this thread are not going to research factory farming and say "Let's go eat meat" because as you can see, that is what happened within the initial posts.

I've researched factory farming and still eat meat. :o I do try to make better choices when buying my own meat (i.e. free range chicken) but it doesn't stop me from eating meat at restaurants etc...
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Seriously, get off your high horse bud. I am college educated and very well at that so you have no right to insult my intelligence because I don't agree with you. Also I am very proud to live in the United States and anything that brings food to my table cheaper is very well accepted. When you give up all of your worldly belongings, live off of the Earth, and spend all of your time working for the bettering of mankind then come find me and preach. In the meantime I'll eat my factory farmed meat (which is effecient and less costly to us, the "elite" as you put it) until peopel like you come up with an economically viable solution. And to address your point about how much food from our country goes towards feeding cattle and other livestock to consume, well until other countries pay our farmers for their land, time, and hard work do you think they will just start shipping food worldwide for free? Please tell me Mr. Holier Than Though you really don't believe that?

I take it you have no problem with Chinese prison labor either? Whatever serves your best interest, Mr. Holier Than Thou :lol:
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

I've researched factory farming and still eat meat. :o I do try to make better choices when buying my own meat (i.e. free range chicken) but it doesn't stop me from eating meat at restaurants etc...

Thank you :)
  • Options
    Thinking about some bacon as a midnight snack...yum yum yum.
  • Options
    th_idiocracy-i_like_money.gif
This discussion has been closed.