Options

*** EV Tour - New York 2 Fanviews Here 06/22/11 ***

Comments

• Options
    GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    PJFamily wrote:

Our daughter Kyra is truly special. She has a rare medical condition which among other things requires her to have back surgery every six months. She never complains or feels sorry for herself. She also happens to be the biggest 10 year old Pearl Jam fan on the planet. We were lucky enough to get 3 tickets to the show as a pre-op present for her (she goes into the hospital on Sunday). The tickets were in the back of the orchestra but we didn't care. Eddie at the Beacon what could be better.

Kyra insisted on getting to the theater early - Kyra's night/Kyra's rules - so we went inside at 6:30. As soon as the doors opened we were in our seats. Soon after our special night became a magical night. Two women came over to us and asked if we were fans. Kyra responded with a resounding yes. They then explained to us that Eddie saves the front row for fans and would we like to move up. I don't recall the next few minutes except for a lot of "Reallys" and "Oh My Gods" (sorry Jason for not adopting you) but I awoke from the daze front row center. From the lucky fans next to us to people sitting behind us, all we heard was how excited everyone was for Kyra to be in the front row.

As for the show all I can say is WOW – the seats, the setting, the set list, the stories and Ed Norton – it doesn’t get any better. And for anyone who missed Glen Hansard, you missed a great set.

But the highlight of the night for us was after Hard Sun when Eddie came over and placed a guitar pick in Kyra’s hand and gently closed her hand around it, all the while staring at her with a big smile on his face. It was a moment none of us will ever forget and will be part of family lore for decades to come.

Thank you to the fans, the crew and to Eddie for giving a family a magical night.

wow, that is just outstanding.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    PJFamily wrote:

Our daughter Kyra is truly special. She has a rare medical condition which among other things requires her to have back surgery every six months. She never complains or feels sorry for herself. She also happens to be the biggest 10 year old Pearl Jam fan on the planet. We were lucky enough to get 3 tickets to the show as a pre-op present for her (she goes into the hospital on Sunday). The tickets were in the back of the orchestra but we didn't care. Eddie at the Beacon what could be better.

Kyra insisted on getting to the theater early - Kyra's night/Kyra's rules - so we went inside at 6:30. As soon as the doors opened we were in our seats. Soon after our special night became a magical night. Two women came over to us and asked if we were fans. Kyra responded with a resounding yes. They then explained to us that Eddie saves the front row for fans and would we like to move up. I don't recall the next few minutes except for a lot of "Reallys" and "Oh My Gods" (sorry Jason for not adopting you) but I awoke from the daze front row center. From the lucky fans next to us to people sitting behind us, all we heard was how excited everyone was for Kyra to be in the front row.

As for the show all I can say is WOW – the seats, the setting, the set list, the stories and Ed Norton – it doesn’t get any better. And for anyone who missed Glen Hansard, you missed a great set.

But the highlight of the night for us was after Hard Sun when Eddie came over and placed a guitar pick in Kyra’s hand and gently closed her hand around it, all the while staring at her with a big smile on his face. It was a moment none of us will ever forget and will be part of family lore for decades to come.

Thank you to the fans, the crew and to Eddie for giving a family a magical night.

I saw that happen to you guys, you all- especially your daughter- looked elated! At one point you and your daughter walked down the aisle and my friend & I said congrats! Congrats again, such an awesome thing to happen to you guys!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    PJFamily wrote:

That's amazing! I'm so glad Kyra got to experience that. She sounds like a wonderful young lady deserving of an unforgettable experience. Eddie has such a beautiful soul. Amazing.
  • Options
    prsntnseprsntnse Posts: 155
    Suziemay wrote:
    PJFamily wrote:

That is truly a magical night!
    2000- Jones Beach III
    2003- Nassau coliseum, MSG I, MSG II
    2006- Hartford, E. Ruth I, E. Ruth II,
    2008- W. Palm, Tampa, Camden II, MSG I, MSG II, Hartford, Mansfield II
    2008- E.V. solo - Boston I, Boston II,NYC I,Newark Stone - Brooklyn
    2009- Chicago I & II,Philly III & IV E.V. solo- Albany II, Philly II
    2010- Hartford, Newark, MSG I & II
    2011- Tres Mtns. - Ed solo-Beacon I & II - Alpine Valley I & II
    2013- Hartford, Philly I & II, Brooklyn I & II, London Ont
    2016- Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Philly I&II, MSG I&II
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    1vs5 wrote:
    Any details on the Unthought Known story?

I'm gonna give it a shot. Ed starts talking about being a "dedicated insomniac", and how NYC is a great place to be since there are people up with you at all hours of the night. This is after the United Palace Night 2 show in 08, and he's up and I think he made references to smoking "something" and when he got home to his hotel overlooking central park and opened the blinds and saw the moon and the park and how it was so magical and he's just inspired to start scribbling on pieces of paper. And even though he knew he probably should have gone to bed because he had responsibilities, like, "I don't know, playing a show the next night or something" (the NJPAC show) he felt he couldn't let this moment down because he felt so inspired and it didn't feel right to just halt the process so he decides, "one more beer!". Next thing he remembers is waking up, and he had no recollection of what happened but saw all these scribblings lying around the floor. And then there was a tape recorder....

Sorry, this story was a bit fuzzy to me (I think at this point loud guy was planted firmly behind me and wouldn't stop talking) so others should feel free to add/correct. :mrgreen:

I don't question Ed, or your relaying of this story... That being said, Ed actually DEBUTED Unthought Known at NJPAC. I'm sure Ed wrote it while on tour, during a moment of inspiration and beer... but how could he possibly have "totally forgotten" it upon waking up to a all these scribblings - to having full chord progressions, and a basic comfort level to playing it for a live audience that very same night.

I know, i know - over-analyzing a cool story. But having been at that NJPAC show, I just found this story to be striking - to say the least.
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    PJFamily wrote:

What a great story, good for Kyra!
    It sounds like that couldn't have happened to a better fan! (Just caught that- no pun intended!)
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    samjam wrote:
    PJFamily wrote:

I saw that happen to you guys, you all- especially your daughter- looked elated! At one point you and your daughter walked down the aisle and my friend & I said congrats! Congrats again, such an awesome thing to happen to you guys!
    Hey SamJam, I was right in front of you..we were al so happy to see Kyra get the seats. Glad you liked the show...good to meet you :D

Special hugs to Kyra who stole Ed's heart for a moment..I saw him give her the pick...magic!
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    Damn. I thought Hartford was gonna be hard to beat. NYC2 just did it. Wish I could have been there!

Satellite and Longing to Belong back to back - Off He Goes, Long Nights and Slow Lukin :shock: :o

Awesome freaking setlist. and Ed Norton? How random?!?!

Hey Twisted...wish I'd seen you there. Where were you sitting?
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Ed said something disparaging about Philly? He's just jealous of the Phillies and he's stuck with the Chicago Cubs. Ed has a great sense of humor I suppose and understands the rivalries between NYC and Philly and was just going for cheap applause from the New York crowd. I'm sure he'll rip NYC or Boston on Saturday.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Ed said something about to lighten the mood from Clarence,..

Ed does this thing,
    he impersonates Bruce.
    Its slowly getting better, close to decent.

He told a story about Danny Clinch ( photographer and musician )
    going back and forth between Eddie on the West Coast,
    and Bruce on The East Coast, all while Ed was making ukelele album .

He said how Danny was telling Bruce
    about Ed making an entire album , of only ukelele songs .
    He slowly slipped into his raspy "Bruce voice" ,
    " That takes alotta balls "

It was well received by the crowd and got many laughs.

And Open All Night !
    Good stuff !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    [Our daughter Kyra is truly special. She has a rare medical condition which among other things requires her to have back surgery every six months. She never complains or feels sorry for herself. She also happens to be the biggest 10 year old Pearl Jam fan on the planet. We were lucky enough to get 3 tickets to the show as a pre-op present for her (she goes into the hospital on Sunday). The tickets were in the back of the orchestra but we didn't care. Eddie at the Beacon what could be better.

Thank you to the fans, the crew and to Eddie for giving a family a magical night.[/quote]
    Here's hoping that Kyra's life is filled with magic from here on.....
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    PJFamily wrote:
    (sorry Jason for not adopting you)

You could have told them I was your cousin or something.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    PJFamily wrote:
    JasonE wrote:
    Perfect night. Glenn should not be missed. He told an amazing story of how Eddie called him after a tragic incident at one of his own shows in Cali and how they became friends. He never had any contact with Eddie before that phone call. Just another example of how incredible Ed is. Really an amazing story.

Loved hearing Eddie talk a lot. He said he appreciates the crowd being so good and mentioned people yelling things the night before and that his hearing is shot and can't make out what they yell anyway. I think after the 21st he decided not to give another go at Arc.

What else can I say that hasn't already been said.

Line of the night, "Mike can do whatever the fuck he wants because he's Mike McFucking McCready!"

One other cool thing I saw.... Got there early and there was a couple with their daughter a couple of rows behind me. She had on an Ed t-shirt and was probably around 10 years old. Two women came up to them and said, "how would you guys like to sit in the front row?"

I turned around and their faces lite up. I actually said, "You know if you adopt me I can come with you." No such luck...

Anyway, one of the women said Ed kept all of the front row seats and they are to upgrade certain people, couple, etc... that either didn't have the best seats or just wanted to make their night extra special. I think they were doing a similar thing in '08.

I can't stop smiling.

That is an incredible awesome thing to happen for her... I wish our rabid pj fan 10 year olds could have met last night :)
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181
    PJFamily wrote:

I had the honor of sitting next to Kyra, Mom, and Dad last night after being upgraded from the balcony. After calming down, my fiance and I had a chance to talk to Mom, Dad, and Kyra before the show. The coolest fans I ever met since my first show in Milwaukee in 95. It was truly an incredible night. The show from front row center was, of course, incredible, but hearing Kyra sing along with Ed made it that much better. It was awesome to see such a young kid into every moment of the show. It's no surprise that Ed came over to Kyra. She seems like an amazing little girl. Best wishes to you and your family! It really was an honor to meet you.
  • Options
    The StugotsThe Stugots Posts: 306
    PJFamily wrote:

This is such a great story - thanks for sharing it with us! Hoping for many, many more magical nights for Kyra.
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    PJFamily wrote:
    JasonE wrote:
    Perfect night. Glenn should not be missed. He told an amazing story of how Eddie called him after a tragic incident at one of his own shows in Cali and how they became friends. He never had any contact with Eddie before that phone call. Just another example of how incredible Ed is. Really an amazing story.

Loved hearing Eddie talk a lot. He said he appreciates the crowd being so good and mentioned people yelling things the night before and that his hearing is shot and can't make out what they yell anyway. I think after the 21st he decided not to give another go at Arc.

Line of the night, "Mike can do whatever the fuck he wants because he's Mike McFucking McCready!"

One other cool thing I saw.... Got there early and there was a couple with their daughter a couple of rows behind me. She had on an Ed t-shirt and was probably around 10 years old. Two women came up to them and said, "how would you guys like to sit in the front row?"

I turned around and their faces lite up. I actually said, "You know if you adopt me I can come with you." No such luck...

Anyway, one of the women said Ed kept all of the front row seats and they are to upgrade certain people, couple, etc... that either didn't have the best seats or just wanted to make their night extra special. I think they were doing a similar thing in '08.

I can't stop smiling.

Damn you, you made me cry :P
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    angiebabyazangiebabyaz Tucson, AZ Posts: 148
    PJFamily wrote:
    JasonE wrote:

I can't stop smiling.

Incredible story! Thank you so much for sharing :D
    Kyra is a great name (it's my daughter's name). I'll keep her in my thoughts this weekend.
    Phoenix 1992
    San Francisco OSL 2009
    New York City MSG 1&2 2010
    EV Santa Barbara 2011
    Alpine Valley 2011
    Philadelphia, Missoula 2012
    EV Las Vegas 1 & 2, Phoenix 2012
    Chicago, Brooklyn, Dallas, OKC, Phoenix, Seattle 2013
    Memphis, Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver, Bridge School 2014
    Porto Alegre, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro 2015
    Jazz Fest, MSG II, RIDE Fest, Fenway, Wrigley, Ohana 2016
  • Options
    dolly rockerdolly rocker Long Beach NY Posts: 345
    wow!!! thats one of the best stories I ever heard on this board...god bless
  • Options
    cent208cent208 Posts: 435
    I was just want to clarify the Philly story for everyone. Ed suggested playing a fast version of Sleepless Nights to Glen but Glen shook his head no, apparently not ready. Ed then said we'll save it for Philly. The crowd started to boo a little. Ed then said "Those uncultured bastards won't know the difference anyway" referring to a fast version of the song. He then said I usually don't insult a city until after I leave. He then said that he was kidding and that he loves playing in Philadelphia. It is obvious he likes Philly, he did 2 solo shows and 4 PJ shows in 09. 6 shows in 1 year must be a record for any city.
    "The pain is temporary the pride is forever."
  • Options
    this was my first eddie solo show, and it was AMAZING! he sounded like heaven, and puts on a hell of a show even without the band and background stuff. my soon-to-be-baby got the best in utero experience ever!

thank you, eddie. can't wait to see you again.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,899
    Thank you PJFamily for sharing your story :D.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    pierj53pierj53 Posts: 301
    What a great two nights, thanks to the best fans I got one tix to show 1 and 2 tixs to show 2! Row 12 for show one row 22 for show two. Eddie's vocals were spot on in the first show. Highlights were Society, long road, Arc (simply amazing). The banter was much better show two (He was very drunk) as was the setlist. Off he goes, Falling Slowly, Immortality! WOW. What an amazing experience. Thank you to Darth and Will, great fans!
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    You know what? I keep looking at this set list (which is still unbelievable to me) and remembering all the incredible stuff from the show, and it keeps getting better and better. Then, hearing some of these great strories like Kyra, etc makes it all the more special.

Everyone at the theater, Eddie and Friends, the Beacon staff, the fans were all really great. It was so much fun and a joy to share an evening with Eddie and everyone else. The Beacon is gorgeous. I hadn't been in it since they re-did it (I know, it's been a while), and they did a great job keeping the atomosphere while improving the amenities (not to mention the support structure itself).

I really do hope everyone has as good a time as we did in NYC the rest of the tour.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    R.A.W.R.A.W. Posts: 13
    I came all the way from Amsterdam, Holland to see Eddie play, and it was awesome. Interesting to see how European and US audience differs, you people scream and yell during the most beautifull parts of songs :?:
    Had a great time, though. Love NYC! :)
    * Landgraaf - 2000
    * Arnhem - 2006
    * Prague - 2006
    * Nijmegen - 2007
    * Rotterdam - 2009
    * Nijmegen - 2010
    * Dublin - 2010
    * Amsterdam #1, 2012
    * Amsterdam #2, 2012
    * Werchter, 2012
    * Arras, 2012
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    R.A.W. wrote:
    I came all the way from Amsterdam, Holland to see Eddie play, and it was awesome. Interesting to see how European and US audience differs, you people scream and yell during the most beautifull parts of songs :?:

Actually most of us don't. It's just those random knuckleheads but night 2 was definitely much better than night 1 (less screaming). There was also more screaming this time around than in 2008 for some reason. Maybe more knuckleheads moved to NYC, or maybe it's now "cool" to see Eddie Vedder and more and more people who come to the shows don't have a true appreciation for what's unfolding in front of them. Who knows :roll:

Glad you had a great time in our city! :wave:
  • Options
    heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430
    Suziemay wrote:
    R.A.W. wrote:

Actually most of us don't. It's just those random knuckleheads but night 2 was definitely much better than night 1 (less screaming). There was also more screaming this time around than in 2008 for some reason. Maybe more knuckleheads moved to NYC, or maybe it's now "cool" to see Eddie Vedder and more and more people who come to the shows don't have a true appreciation for what's unfolding in front of them. Who knows :roll:

Glad you had a great time in our city! :wave:

Just to note, night 1 we had (4) wild Italians behind us who were way loud. So maybe its not a difference in European and US audiences ... just expressive kind of peeps. ;) All in all awesome shows. Glad you had a great time in NYC!
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    paysonitespaysonites The Rim Country Posts: 1,150
    WOW :!: :!: :!: What an incredible story. Good for you guys taking your daughter to these shows that she'll remember for a lifetime, wonderful and loving Parents :D I think it's really neat when the kids get involved we have two boys one's 12 the other 9. They both love Pearl Jam every time our 9 yr old hears Eddie he starts singing his heart out it's so darling.Our 12 yr old sings to some of the songs he knows and sometimes I turn it down just so I can hear them sing :lol::lol: I love it. Pearl Jam ROCKS 4 EVER Woo Hoo :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: Keep on Rockin with PJ Kyra :D:D:D:D:D
    John and Shawna
  • Options
    deconstructiondeconstruction Franklin, NH Posts: 31
    Please anyone having access to recordings please contact me -- I have plenty to trade. Many thanks!
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    Awesome freaking setlist. and Ed Norton? How random?!?!

It's really not random. I haven't read all the posts in here so someone may have already mentioned it but...Ed Norton is a good friend of Glen Hansard, thats why he's been hanging out at some of the shows.
  • Options
    YES I thought it was me but the Slow LUKIN didnt have the same melody as last year at MSG. It's hard to memorize the arraingment after playing that song so fast for so many years.