Options

*** EV Tour - New York 2 Fanviews Here 06/22/11 ***

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    wow!!!what a setlist!!!!!!!Satellite!!!!!!whooohoo!!!!how was it guys??????
    Adam,Cole must be so happy!!!!! :D

and thanks for all ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    KathyDTFT wrote:
    Argh I would have given anything to see Ed/Glen on this amazing song! Falling Slowly is lovely, and Glen Hansard is a genius, as is Ed for having him...if you want to know more about Glen, I've posted a wee bit intro to him on Two Feet Thick. Can't wait to see these phenomenal men for myself soon...hitting all the Cali shows.

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2011/06/get ... ick-intro/

Thanks!
    Kathy D
    TwoFeetThick.com

Kathy - it was AMAZING - two of my all time favourite performers dishing out something really special.

My trip from London was worth it just to hear this song.

Fantastic crowd tonight at the Beacon - Ed was in great voice and gave us a night to remember forever.

Ed was also in true rambler form tonight - one of my favourite musings was Ed giving out statistics about college athletes testing positive for cannabis three times more than previously - he said he might now watch college sport :D

Thank you to both Ed and Glen for a truly magical night of music in the Big Apple.
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    Another brilliant night!!! (The other one for me was Hartford) It was great for many reasons....the story telling, the amazing setlist, the voice (how I love that voice), the guests, etc. I was in the orch....row P but there was a LOT of movement back there and it was annoying. However, I was very glad to hear Long Nights again, and the story about how Ed wrote Unthought Known was wonderful.

BUT the best for me was I grew balls...just like the uke, and decided to head off into the VIP party after the show. I have no idea what possessed me, but I was on my own and saw where the VIP guests were going. A great guy nearby told be to just do it...he had to give me several more words of encouragement, then he took my playbill so I wouldn't look like a tourist and off I went, with a small group!!!!!

So my night ended backstage...meeting a variety of people, Glen hung out there too and we talked for a bit. Ed did not appear at the party but I think I was the last guest to leave...having chatted with some of Ed's crew. Then Ed came out and greeted people so I got to see him before leaving...I didn't want to miss the train and have to camp out in Grand Central!!! He had definitely been partying and was friendly. He thanked the crowd for their support with a little speech and shook a few hands....not mine as I couldn't get right to the front having been backstage all that time and others had camped out since the show ended. Got to say hello and thank him though :D Now I'm staying up as I have to get up for work in an hour and a half anyway...so worth it :lol:
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    That is an AMAZING set list!!!!!! I can't wait until the bootlegs start showing up...
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    I'll start off by saying that the crowd tonight was a million times better than the first night, although there were still the occasional 'thieves of silence'. Glen started the show off right with a similar set to what he's done, but seeing him play Say It To Me Now was really cool since it's one of my favorites by him. The fact that he unplugged himself and sang it without amplification just proves how great of a musician he is.

I think tonight's setlist while a little short was definitely the best of the tour so far. He started off strong with Can't Keep and it was really awesome to not only get to see the debut of Longing to Belong (which sounded great) but the debut of Satellite for this tour as well. I was shocked that he played Off He Goes as it's one of my favorites and it went over really well with the crowd. Having seen Lukin II at MSG II last year, it was cool to hear what me and my friends are calling Lukin III because the lyrics were severely altered (everything but the chorus was changed). Immortality was also a nice surprise to see, and being a big Hansard fan I really loved Falling Slowly. It's gonna be hard to top this setlist in my opinion.

The stories he told tonight were time consuming but excellent and they really made the show better and captivated everyone. The story he told of Bruce saying that he had "a lot of balls" for releasing an all ukulele song album was hilarious.

Me and my friends waited outside again tonight and it was a really awesome experience. Glen came out and was really nice and polite and stayed around for a while chatting, signing and taking pictures. He's really a great guy, and everyone should definitely get there early to see him. Eddie came out and saw me and my friends and so "Oh what a crew" and shook our hands and talked to us for a bit, which completely made my night. My friend asked him about the new alternate lyrics to Lukin and Eddie said "I don't even know" which is pretty funny. He really made sure tonight to make sure everyone was able to talk to him and shake hands. I still can't believe I met him, it was really a surreal experience.

Altogether the best night of my life so far easily.
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    The best night of my life. Glen Hansard was a FANTASTIC opening act. Played really well and even had the balls to unplug and play in front of a crowd that was rowdy last night. Thankfully everyone was respectful and let him play.
    Eddie was fantastic obviously. Longing to belong and satellite first time on tour. Off he goes was really well and the crowd was signing along. He decided to throw together some new lyrics for lukin which was great (Asked him about it after the show and his response to the lyrics were "Yea i didnt even know what that was about" and laughed, classic e.V) threw a curve ball with bringing ed norton to play guaranteed, while ed wasn't as musically talented as eddie it was different and still very good. Hard sun was unbelievably electric, the whole beacon was on their feet singing along, and me, allstar340, The_Giant_Midget, and another friend had a great bonding moment during hard sun.
    Afterwords the same group dashed out to get a good spot to meet the legend himself. After standing near a really weird guy that was there since 6 pm to meet Glen Hansard and was trying to get us to sing along to hard sun, Glen finally came out and shook our hands and was overall a really nice guy. Then after an hour or so eddie came out and immediately came up to me and the group and said "wow what a crew", we thanked him and i asked him about the lukin lyrics. I'm still in shock of meeting him. greatest night of my life
    Now it seems like too much love, is never enough.

MSG 2 5-21-10
    Eddie Vedder Beacon 2 6-22-11
  • Options
    Also the guy asking about bootlegs was really annoying
    Now it seems like too much love, is never enough.

MSG 2 5-21-10
    Eddie Vedder Beacon 2 6-22-11
  • Options
    "the uke's got balls."

okay, who's making the t-shirts?
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    it was nice.... :D
    i like sound...
  • Options
    VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    Thanks to S0nic reducer for the ticket!!

Great show!! The setlist was great, but I would say that about any songs he chose to play :lol: .
    Although a few songs shorter than Hartford, I enjoyed his stories more tonight, especially
    the one about the origin of "Unthought". I love that shit!
    When Ed announces a special guest and he's playing NYC, I'm thinking, anyone can walk out on stage.
    But ED NORTON?! Whoa?! He did great, held his own, and like someone already said, looked so cute up there.
    Crowd was very respectful, couple of shouters, but hey, nothing like Hartford.

Great, Great Night! Wish there were more, gotta wait until Labor Day....but that will be worth it!

Thank again for the ticket John, it was nice meeting you.
  • Options
    VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    Katyz wrote:

BUT the best for me was I grew balls...just like the uke, and decided to head off into the VIP party after the show. I have no idea what possessed me, but I was on my own and saw where the VIP guests were going. A great guy nearby told be to just do it...he had to give me several more words of encouragement, then he took my playbill so I wouldn't look like a tourist and off I went, with a small group!!!!!

So my night ended backstage...meeting a variety of people, Glen hung out there too and we talked for a bit.

Nice! :thumbup: :clap:
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Katyz wrote:
    Another brilliant night!!! (The other one for me was Hartford) It was great for many reasons....the story telling, the amazing setlist, the voice (how I love that voice), the guests, etc. I was in the orch....row P but there was a LOT of movement back there and it was annoying. However, I was very glad to hear Long Nights again, and the story about how Ed wrote Unthought Known was wonderful.

So my night ended backstage...meeting a variety of people, Glen hung out there too and we talked for a bit. Ed did not appear at the party but I think I was the last guest to leave...having chatted with some of Ed's crew. Then Ed came out and greeted people so I got to see him before leaving...I didn't want to miss the train and have to camp out in Grand Central!!! He had definitely been partying and was friendly. He thanked the crowd for their support with a little speech and shook a few hands....not mine as I couldn't get right to the front having been backstage all that time and others had camped out since the show ended. Got to say hello and thank him though :D Now I'm staying up as I have to get up for work in an hour and a half anyway...so worth it :lol:

:clap::clap::clap: Your post made me very happy this morning. So glad you had this experience!
  • Options
    Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    i had a ticket to this show but i had to sell it because i had class. god i hate school.
    ariana, you didnt go last night :(
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    read again the setlist..wow..wow!!!!if society was in...then we have the perfect one
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    Perfect night. Glenn should not be missed. He told an amazing story of how Eddie called him after a tragic incident at one of his own shows in Cali and how they became friends. He never had any contact with Eddie before that phone call. Just another example of how incredible Ed is. Really an amazing story.

Loved hearing Eddie talk a lot. He said he appreciates the crowd being so good and mentioned people yelling things the night before and that his hearing is shot and can't make out what they yell anyway. I think after the 21st he decided not to give another go at Arc.

What else can I say that hasn't already been said.

Line of the night, "Mike can do whatever the fuck he wants because he's Mike McFucking McCready!"

One other cool thing I saw.... Got there early and there was a couple with their daughter a couple of rows behind me. She had on an Ed t-shirt and was probably around 10 years old. Two women came up to them and said, "how would you guys like to sit in the front row?"

I turned around and their faces lite up. I actually said, "You know if you adopt me I can come with you." No such luck...

Anyway, one of the women said Ed kept all of the front row seats and they are to upgrade certain people, couple, etc... that either didn't have the best seats or just wanted to make their night extra special. I think they were doing a similar thing in '08.

I can't stop smiling.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • Options
    JasonE wrote:
    Line of the night, "Mike can do whatever the fuck he wants because he's Mike McFucking McCready!"

For folks not at the show, that was in reference to Mike wearing earplugs because he plays the guitar so damn loud :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Still grinning from ear to ear. Woke up with Porch in my head.
  • Options
    JR285903JR285903 Posts: 1
    What was the disparaging remark he made about Philadelphia?
  • Options
    TresentPenseTresentPense New York City Posts: 551
    Unbelievable night! I'll gladly trade a couple songs off the setlist (as I assume he may have scratched a couple) for Eddie's hilarious ramblings which there were no shortage of last night.

Funny memory: My friends and I got to our seats around 830 (Orch row K, center), and obviously the people on the aisle had to get up to let us pass through to the middle of the section where our seats are. As I am passing through, I notice the guy sitting in the aisle seat has a hanging "All Access" pass or whatever, so I of course give a glance at his face to see who the lucky bastard is, and then proceed to take my seat. Soon as I sit down, I go to my friend "Am I seeing shit or is that guy on the end of our row Edward Norton?", and she's like..."Holy shit! You're right!" So, yeah, I sat a few seats to his left for the first half of the show. Then, sometime in the middle of the main set we notice he's disappeared from the row but his wife/girlfriend/whoever was still there which we all found rather strange. Of course, no more than 5mins after we make this observation EV introduces him on stage, satisfying our Edward Norton question very publicly.
    '98: 8/22
    '00: 8/23 8/24 8/25
    '03: 4/30 7/2 7/3 7/8 7/9 7/11
    '04: 10/1
    '06: 5/13 5/27 5/28 6/1 6/3
    '08: 6/24 6/25 6/27 6/28 7/1
    '09: 10/30 10/31
    '10: 5/15 5/18 5/20 5/21 6/25
    '11: 9/3 9/4
    '12: 9/2 9/22
    '13: 7/19 10/18 10/19 10/21 10/22 11/23 11/24
    '14: 10/19
    '15: 9/26
    '16: 4/8 4/9 4/11 4/28 4/29 5/1 5/2 8/5 8/7
    '17: RNRHOF 4/17
    '18: 9/2 9/4
    '21: 9/18
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    allstar340 wrote:
    I'll start off by saying that the crowd tonight was a million times better than the first night, although there were still the occasional 'thieves of silence'.

Unfortunately, the people around me last night were very annoying and I had no issues night 1. I didn't let this ruin the night though.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    read again the setlist..wow..wow!!!!if society was in...then we have the perfect one

+1
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Damn. I thought Hartford was gonna be hard to beat. NYC2 just did it. Wish I could have been there!

Satellite and Longing to Belong back to back - Off He Goes, Long Nights and Slow Lukin :shock: :o

Awesome freaking setlist. and Ed Norton? How random?!?!
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430
    awesome moments for all ... so good to read ... what an extraordinary night ...

much to say - though for the moment i keep hearing ed say "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ... the unthought unknown story. wish there was a compilation bootleg of ed's awesome stories. this would be a definite highlight.

in awe ...
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    JR285903 wrote:
    What was the disparaging remark he made about Philadelphia?

He was trying to switch up a song him and Glen were going to sing, I think make it faster? And Glen was shaking his head and Ed said, "We'll save it for Philly". I think I might have missed parts of the conversation in between because I didn't think it was disparaging until he said, "Ohhhh, I broke my rule about never talking shit about a town until AFTER" we've played there". Something like that.

Oh, and when he was talking about his hearing and how he can't hear when people yell and he made a comment about "that band" that he's been in for 20 years. That was pretty funny too.

Ed, please release this on DVD!!! Pretty please! Official bootleg would be good too. Anything! Too good not to have it recorded and shared. And while you're at it, release NJPAC 2008 too :mrgreen:

Shit, I'm not going to get any work done today, am I?!?!
  • Options
    wish there was a compilation bootleg of ed's awesome stories. this would be a definite highlight.

Yes, yes! Maybe we need to start a story compilation project.. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    JasonE wrote:
    One other cool thing I saw.... Got there early and there was a couple with their daughter a couple of rows behind me. She had on an Ed t-shirt and was probably around 10 years old. Two women came up to them and said, "how would you guys like to sit in the front row?" .

That little girl got a pic near the end of the show :).
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    JR285903 wrote:
    He was trying to switch up a song him and Glen were going to sing, I think make it faster? And Glen was shaking his head and Ed said, "We'll save it for Philly". I think I might have missed parts of the conversation in between because I didn't think it was disparaging until he said, "Ohhhh, I broke my rule about never talking shit about a town until AFTER" we've played there". Something like that.

He said something like you uneducated something or others would not understand the difference anyway (between fast and slow version). I could not make it all out either.
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    JasonE wrote:
    One other cool thing I saw.... Got there early and there was a couple with their daughter a couple of rows behind me. She had on an Ed t-shirt and was probably around 10 years old. Two women came up to them and said, "how would you guys like to sit in the front row?" .

That little girl got a pic near the end of the show :).

I saw that. He went right up to her at the end and handed it to her.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Ed Fucking Norton. That was awesome. 25th Hour is one of my favorite movies ever.
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451
    Great shows, both nights-
    Crowd definitely more quiet first night, more vocal second night.
    I liked the first night a little better-
    (maybe cuz I had better seats the first night)... :D
    "Falling Slowly" was the highlight last night...
    I did see the fake backstage passes, and fake ticket thing happening to people last night,
    when people were trying to get in to the venue.
    the scalpers were on the prowl...
    I feel bad for those who got screwed by scalpers.
  • Options
    ShadowShadow London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 177
    jgardz wrote:
    Wow!!! Please play a similar set in detroit, and release these shows officially!
    I agree!! What an amazing set list. Us Londoners think alike!
    Escape is never --- the safest path
    2005.09.12-London; 2006.05.09-Toronto; 2007.08.05-Lolla; 2008.08.13-EV Toronto; 2009.08.21-Toronto; 2009.10.30-Philly; 2010.05.06-Columbus; 2010.05.07-Noblesville; 2011.06.26-EV Detroit; 2011.09.11-Toronto; 2011.09.12-Toronto; 2011.09.15-Hamilton; 2013.07.16-London; 2013.07.19-Wrigley Field; 2014.10.16-Detroit; 2016.05.08 Ottawa, 2016.05.10-Toronto; 2016.05.12-Toronto; 2016.08.20 Wrigley Field; 2016.08.22 Wrigley Field; 2018.08.18-Wrigley Field; 2018.08.20-Wrigley Field; 2021.09.24/25 - EV Ohana; 2021.09.26 Ohana; 2021.10.01 Ohana; 2021.10.02 - Ohana; 2022.09.03-Ottawa; 2022.09.06-Hamilton; 2022.09.08-Toronto; 2022.09.16-Nashville; 2023.08.31 7 09.02 Minnesota; 2023.09-05 & 09.07 Chicago