Options

Sober fans meet up @ PJ20

Comments

• Options
    pearlhawkpearlhawk Posts: 631
    Staying at the Wyndham in Milwaukee....soo yeah, I probably wont be drinking very much if at all.
    -Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
    St. Louis 5/4/2010
    St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo)
    East Troy 9/3/2011
    East Troy 9/4/2011
    Wrigley Field 7/19/2013
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    MAS wrote:
    oona left,
    you made this point on your post 2 months ago but today is the first time I'm reading it:

As long as I've been sober, I've made sure I checked my motivations (do I have a valid reason to be there?), and brought a friend.

could you elaborate, i'm pretty sure I know what you mean....

This was in response to someone (and I'm paraphrasing here) stating they might be uncomforbable around what might be prolific drinking/drunkedness.

So far as my motivations, I mean what reasons do I have for going to a particular event? For example, am I going to this concert for the music and overall experience, or am I going because I want to be immersed in a devil-may-care party atmosphere because I'm secretly hoping to get swept away in it?

If it's the former, I'm alright. If it's the latter, it could be dangerous.

The other night I went to a bar for my fantasy football draft. My reason for being there was valid: I have to pick my team, and that's where the draft was held.

If I found myself stopping at that same bar say, tonight after work (with no valid reason to be there), I'd have to have a stern talk with myself :D

Hope this makes sense.
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    locked wrote:
    Thanks Mickeyrat!

Folks, as a "Friend of Bills" who just found out I am going to PJ20!!

I was hoping we could do some sort of "meeting" while we are there??

Heck it could even be on hillside at the event..I dont care!

people will be tailgating too.. that could be the meet up under a tent?

Just one meeting to get us together and share our strengths hopes and fears..

What's been discussed and is there any desire to put this in place?

Sorry to be the latecomer!

Scotty in Boston

I meant to resurrect this but just hadn't gotten around to it, so thanks for bumping, guys! I say we just make it happen - pick a time, pick a location and whoever wants to join and at the very least do a meet and greet. Who's in? Any ideas on time and location?
    Let's do this! I suggest we meet at the front of the 10C Lawn/fenced in area both Saturday and Sunday...would be great hanging out with other sober fans while securing our place at the front of the lawn!
  • Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    oona left wrote:
    MAS wrote:
    oona left,
    you made this point on your post 2 months ago but today is the first time I'm reading it:

As long as I've been sober, I've made sure I checked my motivations (do I have a valid reason to be there?), and brought a friend.

could you elaborate, i'm pretty sure I know what you mean....

This was in response to someone (and I'm paraphrasing here) stating they might be uncomforbable around what might be prolific drinking/drunkedness.

So far as my motivations, I mean what reasons do I have for going to a particular event? For example, am I going to this concert for the music and overall experience, or am I going because I want to be immersed in a devil-may-care party atmosphere because I'm secretly hoping to get swept away in it?

If it's the former, I'm alright. If it's the latter, it could be dangerous.

The other night I went to a bar for my fantasy football draft. My reason for being there was valid: I have to pick my team, and that's where the draft was held.

If I found myself stopping at that same bar say, tonight after work (with no valid reason to be there), I'd have to have a stern talk with myself :D

Hope this makes sense.

Absolutely...that makes sooo much sense to me....lately I've been feeling sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, and I was looking for some different ways of handling situations and the "valid reason' theory is going to be high up on the list...thanks for the response...oh and have a sick time at the gig!....
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    Black73 wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Thanks Mickeyrat!

Folks, as a "Friend of Bills" who just found out I am going to PJ20!!

I was hoping we could do some sort of "meeting" while we are there??

Heck it could even be on hillside at the event..I dont care!

people will be tailgating too.. that could be the meet up under a tent?

Just one meeting to get us together and share our strengths hopes and fears..

What's been discussed and is there any desire to put this in place?

Sorry to be the latecomer!

Scotty in Boston

I meant to resurrect this but just hadn't gotten around to it, so thanks for bumping, guys! I say we just make it happen - pick a time, pick a location and whoever wants to join and at the very least do a meet and greet. Who's in? Any ideas on time and location?
    Let's do this! I suggest we meet at the front of the 10C Lawn/fenced in area both Saturday and Sunday...would be great hanging out with other sober fans while securing our place at the front of the lawn!

What time are you thinking?
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    Black73 wrote:

How about 11 am? Suffice it to say my wife, sons and I will not be tailgating!
  • Options
    Black73 wrote:
    Black73 wrote:

I'm definitely down for that on Saturday and then we can play it by ear to see if we want to meet again on Sunday. I'll see if I can get the rest of my crew to join me for that. It might be really quiet on that lawn at that time and the perfect opportunity to hold an actual meeting. Who else is in besides Black73 and I? Black, what's your name? I'm Chad, obviously. :)
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    Thanks folks and by no means let me dampen tbe momentum for 11am Saturday on the lawn.
    I'm traveling with all drinkers and have no doubt they won't go in until Liam Finns set.. (I believe at 3:10)
    So I may not go thru the turnstiles at 11am (no re-entry )..
    Was hoping someone had a tailgate we could section off , eat drink and be sober before paying for stuff on the inside...
    Even some lawn chairs and a tarp
    Would do the trick..
    And heck I still like Tail gates !
    I didn't get sober to be mellow!
    ;)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Black73 wrote:

I'm definitely down for that on Saturday and then we can play it by ear to see if we want to meet again on Sunday. I'll see if I can get the rest of my crew to join me for that. It might be really quiet on that lawn at that time and the perfect opportunity to hold an actual meeting. Who else is in besides Black73 and I? Black, what's your name? I'm Chad, obviously. :)

I'm in!

I'm a little concerned about being able to make it by 11:00 (I'm traveling with my brother, who will be late to his own funeral), but I can sure as hell try.
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    As a person who has never even had a sip of alcohol, great to see everyone who has beaten such a terrible, terrible thing as booze getting together!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    So no one sober is planning on tailgating in the parking lot?
    As John McEnroe once said:
    "you cannot be serious!"
    ;)
    From what I'm told, this place is famous for it tail gates!

Oh well!
    When Eddie bikes through the parking lot like he is bound to do, I'll say hi for all you guys!
    (ribbing intended!)

11am?
    Not me , not at pj20...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Black73 wrote:

Hey Chad, I'm Matt. We're planning to get in the gates pretty early. The tailgating scene is pretty serious, but we're there for what's inside the gates.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    6 days and a wake up bump.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Bed time bump
  • Options
    5 days to go bump
  • Options
    I'm fine with the 11 AM meet-up, and I have 0 desire to hang out in the tailgating parking lot. Many people in this thread may not understand that this is for people who are not just casually doing PJ20 sober (or soberish, haha), but rather for people in 12-step recovery who live a very specific non-using/drinking lifestyle. It's important for us to meet up to support each other in slippery environments. We're still gonna have a blast! But the idea of sitting on the lawn late morning Saturday sounds so serene and beautiful to me. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't checked, so I'll ask: has anybody posted about this on the fans in recovery thread?
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    But the idea of sitting on the lawn late morning Saturday sounds so serene and beautiful to me. I'm really looking forward to it.quote]

This is what I had in mind, too! But I just read that the lawn will not be opened until 3:00pm.

Same goes for the pavillion.
  • Options
    oona left wrote:
    But the idea of sitting on the lawn late morning Saturday sounds so serene and beautiful to me. I'm really looking forward to it.quote]

This is what I had in mind, too! But I just read that the lawn will not be opened until 3:00pm.

Well shit. Plan B?
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    oona left wrote:

Well shit. Plan B?
    The lawn is huge, so we could meet near the 10c viewing area/fence and go from there.
  • Options
    I'm fine with the 11 AM meet-up, and I have 0 desire to hang out in the tailgating parking lot. Many people in this thread may not understand that this is for people who are not just casually doing PJ20 sober (or soberish, haha), but rather for people in 12-step recovery who live a very specific non-using/drinking lifestyle. It's important for us to meet up to support each other in slippery environments. We're still gonna have a blast! But the idea of sitting on the lawn late morning Saturday sounds so serene and beautiful to me. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't checked, so I'll ask: has anybody posted about this on the fans in recovery thread?
    Chad - couldn't agree more with EVERYTHING you said. Fortunately, the slippery environments haven't been a struggle for me, as I was able to quit one morning and never drink again. It hasn't always been easy, so everything the 12-step recovery programs offers is so incredibly awesome to me. Whatever peoples' paths, as long as they have support when times are tough is what matters.

We'll be crashing the gates at 11 am, and will hit the lower level of the lawn section shortly after we enter. Hope to see a bunch of others seeking serenity around the 11:00 hour, brother!

-Matt
  • Options
    Black73 wrote:
    oona left wrote:

Well shit. Plan B?
    The lawn is huge, so we could meet near the 10c viewing area/fence and go from there.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm familiar with Alpine's lawn, but what time are you thinking?
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    Black73 wrote:
    Chad - couldn't agree more with EVERYTHING you said. Fortunately, the slippery environments haven't been a struggle for me, as I was able to quit one morning and never drink again. It hasn't always been easy, so everything the 12-step recovery programs offers is so incredibly awesome to me. Whatever peoples' paths, as long as they have support when times are tough is what matters.

We'll be crashing the gates at 11 am, and will hit the lower level of the lawn section shortly after we enter. Hope to see a bunch of others seeking serenity around the 11:00 hour, brother!

-Matt

That sounds good, but oona left reported that the lawn won't be accessible until 3 PM.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    AK156409AK156409 Posts: 17
    Hello Friends of Bill/Ed,

This is such a great idea. I've been following this thread since the day it started, but this is my first chime in. I was really hoping there would be enough interest to set up a table/tent where people could gather at any point during the weekend, but alas, getting us organized is like herding cats.

I love the idea of an early Saturday meet-up and I couldn't tell if you guys were thinking of having a formal meeting or not, but either way I'd be down. That said, I don't love the idea of having it inside the gates, or for that matter, inside the restricted 10c lawn area. While I can appreciate anyone's disinterest in the tailgating scene, I think it would be great to keep the time and location flexible to a variety of needs. If we met outside, people who want to go in could walk in as soon as we're done and not miss a thing while people who don't want to go in until later would not be trapped by the no re-entry deal. Personally, I'm gonna be spending most of the day on Sunday inside so I'd like to pace myself and have some freedom Saturday, walk around, meet some people, play frisbee with my brother, whatever... And I have a friend in recovery who was planning on the same kind of thing.

So, no big deal either way, but in the interest of including two more peeps -- and whomever else may be quietly lingering around this thread but not speaking up (as I was doing) -- maybe you guys can consider an 11am meeting in a nice patch of grass somewhere OUTSIDE the venue?

I'll keep checking in to see how this develops... hope to meet everyone soon!

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    AK156409 wrote:
    Hello Friends of Bill/Ed,

This is such a great idea. I've been following this thread since the day it started, but this is my first chime in. I was really hoping there would be enough interest to set up a table/tent where people could gather at any point during the weekend, but alas, getting us organized is like herding cats.

I love the idea of an early Saturday meet-up and I couldn't tell if you guys were thinking of having a formal meeting or not, but either way I'd be down. That said, I don't love the idea of having it inside the gates, or for that matter, inside the restricted 10c lawn area. While I can appreciate anyone's disinterest in the tailgating scene, I think it would be great to keep the time and location flexible to a variety of needs. If we met outside, people who want to go in could walk in as soon as we're done and not miss a thing while people who don't want to go in until later would not be trapped by the no re-entry deal. Personally, I'm gonna be spending most of the day on Sunday inside so I'd like to pace myself and have some freedom Saturday, walk around, meet some people, play frisbee with my brother, whatever... And I have a friend in recovery who was planning on the same kind of thing.

So, no big deal either way, but in the interest of including two more peeps -- and whomever else may be quietly lingering around this thread but not speaking up (as I was doing) -- maybe you guys can consider an 11am meeting in a nice patch of grass somewhere OUTSIDE the venue?

I'll keep checking in to see how this develops... hope to meet everyone soon!

Andy

I'm fine with that as well. Your rationale makes sense to me. Matt, what are your thoughts? Does anyone know of a distinguishable, easy-to-find grassy spot where no cars will be parked - and if possible, one that provides a bit of shade and privacy? If possible, I'd love to see this thing be run as an actual meeting, the same way I've seen it done before at festivals and jam band shows, as has been previously discussed in this thread. We do it as a separate entity from AA/NA/etc. and give ourselves a fancy name based on the band's music. I think we should just organize ourselves as much as possible to make this happen before Saturday morning. Anyone else want to chime in on this? I'm going to post this to the fans in recovery thread in an attempt to reach as many eyes as possible.
    Post edited by ChadsStillAlive on
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    Great suggestions, one and all! Ok, so here's the plan for me and my family. We're gonna crash the gates at 11. I appreciate Oona saying the lawn isn't open until 3 pm...but I wonder if that's a section of the lawn, perhaps the 10c viewing section only? The lawn is massive, so I gotta believe they cannot - or will not be able to - restrict total lawn access until mid-afternoon.

That being said, we plan to get as close to the 10c viewing area as possible at 11 am on Saturday. If anyone is interested/able to meet there somewhere in the grass, let's meet up. If not, that's cool too. Maybe we can have a couple designated places both inside and outside where we can meet up and support each other and get psyched together.

Hoping to meet as many of you great peeps as possible this weekend!
    -Matt
  • Options
    I guess most of you have been on this thread but for all you who are non-drinkers in recovery (or in any kind of program at all) there has been a thread going for a couple of years now:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29105

As I said somewhere there, that thread got me into the program, so if you go and share there you ight be helping someone else get in :)

Oh, and have a great sober time at the festival everyone! I wish I were in the US right now but I just read on the site that the band are playing two days in the new stadium in my home town in Poland as a European PJ20, supported by my faves the Cure, the Fall, the Wedding Present and Kings of Leon, so I'm all good. ;)
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Since there is some valid doubt as to whether is is the entire lawn or the Ten Club Cage that won't open until 3:00pm, I got that tidbit in this thread:

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167326

I can't do any kind of fact checking here at work, because most sites are blocked.

I'm fine with inside or outside the venue on Saturday. I'm a little anxious to get in there and nab a good spot on the lawn, but if that's not even an option until later, there's no reason to hurry.

From the aerial view, it doesn't look like there are too many grassy, shady nooks near the parking lot. That doesn't mean there aren't any, of course. Maybe someone more familiar with the venue knows of somewhere that might work.
  • Options
    oona left wrote:
    Since there is some valid doubt as to whether is is the entire lawn or the Ten Club Cage that won't open until 3:00pm, I got that tidbit in this thread:

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167326

I can't do any kind of fact checking here at work, because most sites are blocked.

I'm fine with inside or outside the venue on Saturday. I'm a little anxious to get in there and nab a good spot on the lawn, but if that's not even an option until later, there's no reason to hurry.

From the aerial view, it doesn't look like there are too many grassy, shady nooks near the parking lot. That doesn't mean there aren't any, of course. Maybe someone more familiar with the venue knows of somewhere that might work.
    Thanks oona...not sure what the verdict is, but I'll be glad to let everyone know if I hear anything. I asked the question in the other thread.
  • Options
    I'm in for anything in the parking lot as well.. Let's just get there and check in with eachother on this thread?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    why not meet outside the 10 club tent where we get out tickets. Although i liked the early lawn idea also.