Options

Sober fans meet up @ PJ20

Comments

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    I'm not sober and I'm not going, but I think this is a fantastic idea. Just another way PJ fans support each other, holding a brief meeting during the day, to help those on the fence, awesome. Way to help each other out.
  • Options
    I just passed one year of being sober. This is a great idea for all that would like to participate. I will not be attending PJ20 but my support is out there for all that struggle with addiction and share the band we all love. Keep Rocking, one day at a time.
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    MB999 wrote:
    I just passed one year of being sober. This is a great idea for all that would like to participate. I will not be attending PJ20 but my support is out there for all that struggle with addiction and share the band we all love. Keep Rocking, one day at a time.
    Congrats...a lot of my toughest days were in my first year. BTW, I love your avator, Brennan!
  • Options
    10 years clean here, coming up on 11 in July if I get there one day at a time. I am a jam band follower and festival-goer, so I am familiar with the various groups/"camp traction" that hold vendor tables and create an opportunity for those of us trying to steer clear of danger in slippery situations. I just got back from Bonnaroo and having that table to go to and two meetings a day is a wonderful way to keep our heads on straight in the midst of the madness. I think creating one of these for PJ fans is a brilliant idea. I will happily take a shift at the table/chair a meeting, just not during PJ. :)
    Happy early anniversary bro - July 25 will be my 10 year anniversary. Hope to shake your hand at PJ20!
  • Options
    sheila0225 wrote:
    You'd be surprised by who is pulling and rooting for those that are in recovery. I know for me personally I'm a huge cheerleader of those in recovery.
    So....kudos to all that are in recovery....and kudos to all of those that don't drink. :)
    I pull for anyone in an underdog situation, and a vice like alcohol is often very tough to escape the grasps. Just the other day I told my wife, "I cannot fathom being wasted at what is going to be the biggest Pearl Jam event I've ever been to!" 10 years ago, I likely wouldn't have said this.
  • Options
    jryan1981 wrote:
    i think this is a great idea. I just got 3 years in march. let me know any info
    Way to go J-Ry...3 years is a great accomplishment!
  • Options
    wayne823wayne823 Posts: 67
    I have been sober for 18 years and would love to meet up with fellow members. Please let me know what the situation is and if I can help in any way. I look forward to meeting you all!
  • Options
    wayne823 wrote:
    I have been sober for 18 years and would love to meet up with fellow members. Please let me know what the situation is and if I can help in any way. I look forward to meeting you all!
    Way to go Wayne...too bad PJ20 and your 20 years don't coincide!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    Hey folks, are any of aware of the recovery thread on AET? " PJ fans in 12 step recovery" Stop by and share, will you?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Dr. DanDr. Dan Posts: 11
    10 years clean here, coming up on 11 in July if I get there one day at a time. I am a jam band follower and festival-goer, so I am familiar with the various groups/"camp traction" that hold vendor tables and create an opportunity for those of us trying to steer clear of danger in slippery situations. I just got back from Bonnaroo and having that table to go to and two meetings a day is a wonderful way to keep our heads on straight in the midst of the madness. I think creating one of these for PJ fans is a brilliant idea. I will happily take a shift at the table/chair a meeting, just not during PJ. :)
    Kudos on going to Bonnaroo. I went three years straight in the earlybyears of the festival but that was before sobriety. It is a testament to our unity that we can go to the belly of the beady and just jam on!
    No word on a table yet for PJ20 but I am hoping to make it happen.
    Go Terps!
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    I haven't drank since Labor Day 2005, so PJ20 will be my 6th year anniversary. Hope to meet you guys there!
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    A HUGE CONGRATS TO YOU ALL ON YOUR SOBREITY AND RECOVERY!!!
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    This thread is awesome. I really hope to meet a lot of you guys. On jam band tours I've made some lifelong friends because of the unity of addiction and recovery. I would love to do the same with my favorite band on the planet.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    Black73 wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:
    You'd be surprised by who is pulling and rooting for those that are in recovery. I know for me personally I'm a huge cheerleader of those in recovery.
    So....kudos to all that are in recovery....and kudos to all of those that don't drink. :)
    I pull for anyone in an underdog situation, and a vice like alcohol is often very tough to escape the grasps. Just the other day I told my wife, "I cannot fathom being wasted at what is going to be the biggest Pearl Jam event I've ever been to!" 10 years ago, I likely wouldn't have said this.

I believe ya. And to think that this will be my first PJ concert! I'm so excited! I can't wait.
  • Options
    Black73 wrote:
    MB999 wrote:
    Congrats...a lot of my toughest days were in my first year. BTW, I love your avator, Brennan!

Thank you very much! I appreciate the support.

"call me Dragon!" :)
  • Options
    MB999 wrote:

Congrats on this!
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    MB999 wrote:
    Black73 wrote:
    MB999 wrote:

Call me...Nighthawk.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Idea!

Contact 10c (rubysdad) and see if Mike might like to do a meet & greet with the group that are meeting up. ...just an idea. :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Idea!

Contact 10c (rubysdad) and see if Mike might like to do a meet & greet with the group that are meeting up. ...just an idea. :)

What a fine idea that is!!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    sheila0225 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Idea!

yes, yes it is..... :shh: :shifty: :silent: :think: :problem: wont there be alot more "sober" people if this were to get out?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    jryan1981jryan1981 Posts: 35
    Black73 wrote:
    jryan1981 wrote:
    i think this is a great idea. I just got 3 years in march. let me know any info
    Way to go J-Ry...3 years is a great accomplishment!

thanks black. one day at a time.. i hope we can set something up so we can all meet.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    mickeyrat wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Idea!

yes, yes it is..... :shh: :shifty: :silent: :think: :problem: wont there be alot more "sober" people if this were to get out?

Agreed. If you get 10c / Mike's participation, keep it quiet, and keep it by PM only. And count me out as far as participation... but I hope you guys can get something together with Rubysdad. Send him a PM and see what he says. :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    mickeyrat wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Idea!

It's kind of sad this has to be a consideration. But, a few bad apples, blah blah.

I trust the majority of the people on the board would respect Mike enough, if not sobriety, not to take advantage of something like this (were it to happen).

It's a great idea.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    CJMST3K wrote:

Agreed. If you get 10c / Mike's participation, keep it quiet, and keep it by PM only.

Iagree with keeping it on the DL. I think for this to happen, we can't know about it until after it happens. I.e., Mike showing up would have to be a surprise. That's the only way, in my humble opinion :mrgreen:
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    hat would be awesome if he came by to meet you guys! hope it happens.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SSS81SSS81 Posts: 170
    I won't be at PJ20 but my wife and I will both be going to the Toronto shows. We have been to several PJ concerts together but have never been to a 10C pre-show party because neither of us drink. Maybe this is something that could be organized and extended to the pre-show parties as well???

Just my two cents. Congratulations to all the sobriety victories.

-s
  • Options
    MB999 wrote:
    Black73 wrote:
    MB999 wrote:

You can call me...Night Hawk
  • Options
    MB999 wrote:
    ..."call me Dragon!" :)

Call me...Nighthawk.
    Sorry man...didn't see you beat me too it, Doback!
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Idea!

Definitely a great idea! I'd love to congratulate Mike on his sobriety too.
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    SSS81 wrote:
    I won't be at PJ20 but my wife and I will both be going to the Toronto shows. We have been to several PJ concerts together but have never been to a 10C pre-show party because neither of us drink. Maybe this is something that could be organized and extended to the pre-show parties as well???

Just my two cents. Congratulations to all the sobriety victories.

-s

I understand not going, if you don't know how it will be once you're there.

As long as I've been sober, I've made sure I checked my motivations (do I have a valid reason to be there?), and brought a friend.

Even if the friend I'm with nurses a beer or two, that person cares enough about me to care about my sobriety, and that's all the support I need.

You might find the pre-parties contain a microcosm of the same melting pot you'd find here on the forums. Mike's might be invited to shake our hands and say hello, and all of a sudden the board is overrun with sober f*cks! :lol:

Editor's Note: Mike will do no such thing. Move along folks, nothing to see here. :?