Options

Sober fans meet up @ PJ20

Comments

• Options
    NinaBeenaNinaBeena Posts: 6
    I've never posted a reply on a thread, but this particular one has prompted me to "get involved"...

I'll be attending PJ20 with my husband, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law. Two of us are sober (who HAVE the allergy) and two of us are sober (no allergy, but TONS of -isms). We're all active participants in our respective 12 step programs, and G-d willing, will have a combined 15 years of recovery at Alpine Valley. I'd tell you who has what in terms of sober time, but that's not my deal to discuss (I'm one of the -ism people, and will be just shy of 6 years @ PJ20). Sobriety has saved my life (as well as the lives of my travel companions), but that's not why I'm posting.

When my husband and I travel, we attend meetings, whether in new towns, on cruise ships, or gathering as a small biological family in recovery on family vacations. Based on our history, I'm SURE we're going to need a meeting at PJ20! (It's ironic: I'm not the one with the allergy, but I'm the one who gets squirrely around super drunk people) While it would be a nice addition to meet Mike @ Alpine Valley, I'm kind of feeling that we're walking a dangerous path. Here's why... One: I'm in recovery for me. The people at my meetings are brothers and sisters walking similar paths, and we don't put anyone on pedestals. That firmly goes against our traditions. I fear that if Mike does come, it will turn into idol worship, as opposed to sober people helping sober people. Two: does Mike feel comfortable being the poster child for recovery/sobriety? My hubby and I have discussed our sobriety with Mike (as much as is possible while standing in front of him at a show) and have a set list with some really kind words of support and signed by Mike. That said, discussing recovery between three recovering people is different than people gawking at a member of PJ.

Sorry this is so long, I'm sure I'm breaking some 10C rule. I just wanted to ask to be notified about meetings, whether or not Mike's there. I'd rather ANYONE with sobriety be there- you're all just as important as Mike is in terms of my recovery. Until September, may you all stay happy, joyous, and free!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    NinaBeena wrote:
    I've never posted a reply on a thread, but this particular one has prompted me to "get involved"...

I'll be attending PJ20 with my husband, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law. Two of us are sober (who HAVE the allergy) and two of us are sober (no allergy, but TONS of -isms). We're all active participants in our respective 12 step programs, and G-d willing, will have a combined 15 years of recovery at Alpine Valley. I'd tell you who has what in terms of sober time, but that's not my deal to discuss (I'm one of the -ism people, and will be just shy of 6 years @ PJ20). Sobriety has saved my life (as well as the lives of my travel companions), but that's not why I'm posting.

When my husband and I travel, we attend meetings, whether in new towns, on cruise ships, or gathering as a small biological family in recovery on family vacations. Based on our history, I'm SURE we're going to need a meeting at PJ20! (It's ironic: I'm not the one with the allergy, but I'm the one who gets squirrely around super drunk people) While it would be a nice addition to meet Mike @ Alpine Valley, I'm kind of feeling that we're walking a dangerous path. Here's why... One: I'm in recovery for me. The people at my meetings are brothers and sisters walking similar paths, and we don't put anyone on pedestals. That firmly goes against our traditions. I fear that if Mike does come, it will turn into idol worship, as opposed to sober people helping sober people. Two: does Mike feel comfortable being the poster child for recovery/sobriety? My hubby and I have discussed our sobriety with Mike (as much as is possible while standing in front of him at a show) and have a set list with some really kind words of support and signed by Mike. That said, discussing recovery between three recovering people is different than people gawking at a member of PJ.

Sorry this is so long, I'm sure I'm breaking some 10C rule. I just wanted to ask to be notified about meetings, whether or not Mike's there. I'd rather ANYONE with sobriety be there- you're all just as important as Mike is in terms of my recovery. Until September, may you all stay happy, joyous, and free!
    Hi Nina, welcome to the board!!

You do raise some valis points here. But whos to say that all would be fawning over him. I have attended a meeting with another well known guitarist. That person shared at the meeting . Afterwards I thanked him for his comments(I could see how what he shared while not directed at me, it still applied) and that was that.

As for the tent/table. It would be awesome to have some sort of set schedule/formats for meetings. Who knows, maybe HE would need the meeing that day/hour as much as the rest of us.

Anyway, I'd like to invite you to post in the" PJ fans in 12 step recovery" thread on AET.

Peace.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    Any news back from the 10C, DrDan?
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    NinaBeena wrote:

Great first post Nina, and congrats on 6 years! Strong points you raise, and I didn't even think about each of us being as important as one of us...thanks for the reminder! If Mike were to show up, I'd just like to say thanks to a very public figure for bringing awareness to, in my family's case, an illness. Although I have not been part of a formal recovery program, I'll say that The Big Man Above, my wife & children, and positive role models have been part of my 10-year recovery program.

I look forward to meeting any/all of you at PJ20, and stay strong on your individual recovery paths!
  • Options
    TheSeekerTheSeeker Posts: 66
    Awesome thread everybody and cheers to you all!
    I also do not enjoy drinking at the shows, not that I haven't, but why miss a couple of great songs/moments just to go to the bathroom?
    Another reason I don't like to drink at the shows is all the very bad incidents I have had with drunk fans being out of control, the worst of which has been, ironically, at Alpine Valley.
    I hope lots of people read this thread you guys have started and can think twice about having too much at Alpine. It not only can effect themselves, but also their PJFan brothers and sisters. :silent: :sick:
    i dont ? our Xtence, I just ? our modern needs
  • Options
    Dr. DanDr. Dan Posts: 11
    Any news back from the 10C, DrDan?

No word back from 10c.

I received some bad new today. I can not go to PJ20. Something has come up that I absolutely can not miss. I am overwhelmingly bummed! Not to mention all the money I am out on a flight and shuttle tickets.

I hope someone takes the reigns on this idea and gets all of our brothers and sisters in recovery together at PJ20. I soooooooooo wanted to be there.

I think if you are to get a table at PJ20 you will need to call the PJ business office directly.

Rock on without me my fellows!
    Take care and be well.
    Dan
    Go Terps!
  • Options
    Sober style bump. Anyone care to step up to the plate in place of MrDan?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Guess we can meet at a random somewhat quiet spot inside the venue. Think when we get closer we exchange phone #'s? In case we need to pair up or meet for a on the spot meeting?

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Guess we can meet at a random somewhat quiet spot inside the venue. Think when we get closer we exchange phone #'s? In case we need to pair up or meet for a on the spot meeting?
    HELLO!!!! Is this thing on?

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I don't get to go to the festival damnit, but If I was able to, I would definately want to hang. I've got 2 months of no drinking under my belt, however it was always a rule for me to never drink at PJ shows after the 11/5/93 show when I almost lost my job for beating peeps with their shoes.. so Congrats to all those still clean and sober!!!
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    mickeyrat wrote:

I would like to nominate Mickey Rat. He's clearly on top of things :)

What do you say?
  • Options
    oona left wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

I would like to nominate Mickey Rat. He's clearly on top of things :)

What do you say?

I'll second that. :D If I wasn't so busy with my service position in my area, I'd be happy to, but alas, my life is quite full.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    Can I just give you all praise for not being ashamed of sobriety. I've never been a big drinker but I had been going through a tough time with my other half who had been battling a drink problem/depression for years (we've been together 12 years and the problems were before we were together) so as you can imagine things were very very tough but he has been sober since April last year and I also stopped drinking to support him so I too are tee total. It's been hard as friends and family wonder why I wouldn't want to have a drink and they have the attitude "no drink no point" and the thing is it doesn't even bother me that I don't drink. I've witnessed what alcohol does to a person, it almost destroyed his life and our relationship but now he's come back a healthier person, mentally and physically and I'm so glad.
    Think I've rambled on a bit much and it doesn't really have anything to do with PJ but I just wanted to say it.

Cheers!
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    Another reason why the fans of this band are totally the coolest mother efr's on the planet , wish you guys all the best :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Another reason why the fans of this band are totally the coolest mother efr's on the planet , wish you guys all the best :)

:thumbup:
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404

agreed. someone very close to me is fighting battle every day. strength & thoughts are with you all!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    mfc2006 wrote:

agreed. someone very close to me is fighting battle every day. strength & thoughts are with you all!

Yes i bet most of us on the forum have at least someone we know very well that is fighting some sort of addiction , i support this thread with all my thoughts :thumbup: i will make it a point to stop by and say hello to everyone there ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

Yes i bet most of us on the forum have at least someone we know very well that is fighting some sort of addiction , i support this thread with all my thoughts :thumbup: i will make it a point to stop by and say hello to everyone there ...

I really appreciate the supportive comments from everyone who's not in recovery. It's really cool to feel the love from people who aren't in our shoes but love the mighty PJ like we do. Similarities over differences! :)
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    I really appreciate the supportive comments from everyone who's not in recovery. It's really cool to feel the love from people who aren't in our shoes but love the mighty PJ like we do. Similarities over differences! :)

you guys will always have my support, Chad. hope to meet you all @ Alpine!
    -Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    appieappie Posts: 1,441
    7 years sober now and will be that way at pj20..
    Hard to quit an addiction,but glad it was succesfull..
    Hope all of you do well and much strenght and good vibes for those that seem to need it

and...

See ya at pj20.. :thumbup: :wave:
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    NinaBeena wrote:

Just read this and :thumbup:
  • Options
    pearlswirlpearlswirl Posts: 23
    Oh Im Down as well!!! 4 years in August:)
    Warren G. Magnuson Park - Sep 20, 1992 Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 05, 1993 Seattle Center Arena - Dec 08, 1993 Key Arena - Sept
    16,1996 Rose Garden Arena - Jul 18, 1998 Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21,22 1998 Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 31, 1999 Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000 Key Arena - Nov 06, 2000 Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001 The Showbox - Dec 06, 2002 Key Arena - Dec 08,09 2002 Key Arena - Sep 22, 2009 Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 23,24 2010
    Eddie Vedder Portland, Seattle 1 and 2 2011- PJ20 Labor Day 2011
  • Options
    appieappie Posts: 1,441
    pearlswirl wrote:
    Oh Im Down as well!!! 4 years in August:)

Great! Lets drink some juice with me/us there and celibrate that fact too..
    Its a battle too get that far not too drink at all...Lets toast on that my friend.. 8-)
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    Can I just give you all praise for not being ashamed of sobriety. I've never been a big drinker but I had been going through a tough time with my other half who had been battling a drink problem/depression for years (we've been together 12 years and the problems were before we were together) so as you can imagine things were very very tough but he has been sober since April last year and I also stopped drinking to support him so I too are tee total. It's been hard as friends and family wonder why I wouldn't want to have a drink and they have the attitude "no drink no point" and the thing is it doesn't even bother me that I don't drink. I've witnessed what alcohol does to a person, it almost destroyed his life and our relationship but now he's come back a healthier person, mentally and physically and I'm so glad.
    Think I've rambled on a bit much and it doesn't really have anything to do with PJ but I just wanted to say it.

Cheers!
    I'm sure your SO appreciates you supporting him...my wife has never been more than a social drinker, so her very infrequent cocktail feels like she too has quit drinking.

To be honest, WI is the most difficult place I've lived in 10 years for me to be sober, as our neighborhood cannot host a function without massive amounts of alcohol being consumed...a kid's 2nd birthday party included. It'll be great to meet any/all of you at PJ20...I will have one weekend of not seeing my neighbor's mobile bar in his driveway b/c I'll be at Alpine Valley instead! Not kidding about the mobile bar...2 kitchen cabinets w/tile countertop, with a mini-fridge and electrical outlet for blender, all on wheels. It's a neighborhood fixture each and every weekend...some weeknights at "happy hour," too. Thinking I might contact the county to see if he has a liquor license!!!
  • Options
    Bump for Locked to stumble his way in!!! :mrgreen:

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    Thanks Mickeyrat!

Folks, as a "Friend of Bills" who just found out I am going to PJ20!!

I was hoping we could do some sort of "meeting" while we are there??

Heck it could even be on hillside at the event..I dont care!

people will be tailgating too.. that could be the meet up under a tent?

Just one meeting to get us together and share our strengths hopes and fears..

What's been discussed and is there any desire to put this in place?

Sorry to be the latecomer!

Scotty in Boston
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    55 MA Posts: 157
    If I get to go I would love to hang with you all.

Smiles,

• Options
    locked wrote:
    Thanks Mickeyrat!

Folks, as a "Friend of Bills" who just found out I am going to PJ20!!

I was hoping we could do some sort of "meeting" while we are there??

Heck it could even be on hillside at the event..I dont care!

people will be tailgating too.. that could be the meet up under a tent?

Just one meeting to get us together and share our strengths hopes and fears..

What's been discussed and is there any desire to put this in place?

Sorry to be the latecomer!

Scotty in Boston

I meant to resurrect this but just hadn't gotten around to it, so thanks for bumping, guys! I say we just make it happen - pick a time, pick a location and whoever wants to join and at the very least do a meet and greet. Who's in? Any ideas on time and location?
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    I'm in!!! I think this is a great idea. I'd really like to meet you people :)
  • Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    oona left,
    you made this point on your post 2 months ago but today is the first time I'm reading it:

As long as I've been sober, I've made sure I checked my motivations (do I have a valid reason to be there?), and brought a friend.

could you elaborate, i'm pretty sure I know what you mean....