Glorifying your life on Facebook...

Comments

• little_wishlittle_wish Posts: 532
    I agree with the very early comment on drama

"Facebook facilitates drama for people who like drama, and if there wasn't facebook, they find it somewhere else."

I have had people added on fbook who just whinge and moan about people who have let them down but never directly mention anyone. It's pathetic, stop airing your dirty laundry in public and just sort things out with these people or LET IT GO.

Needless to say I have deleted over 100 people in the last month, people from high school who kept adding me (I'm not interested in being "friends" with you so feck off) and people who just chat shit about others.

I don't want/need the hassle, I don't want to be picking sides and I'm not interested how many times you have cleaned the house today. Blahhhhhh
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    The only thing on facebook I lie about is my phone number. I wouldn't put my real number on the internet, so I just put 867-5309

That's why I got Jenny Jenny when I tried to call you!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    RKCNDY wrote:
    and lookie what I found....if FB/Twitter were not online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDycZH0C ... r_embedded

I laughed out loud (pun intended) at the end when he said "lol" and "rofl", pronouncing it rowfull.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I've been thinking about this thread whilst cleaning the bathroom (there you go a little snap shot of my life).

Isn't this one of those things - if you don't like it don't use it? But at the same time don't slag off those that do.

Yes I think some people probably do have imaginary lives on fb, maybe even on here. It's a shame for them that they feel they have to have an imaginary life. I think I'm the same in here, on fb and in real face to face life. I don't know, I can't be objective about that - someone that knows me on both the internet and real life would have to say.

Personally I've met people on here then met them face to face and they're all pretty much how I imagined personality wise. Appearance wise they often are a little different to what was in my head, I have a tendancy to imagine people taller than they are, but heck that doesn't matter.

Anywhoo I could probably ramble on more, my main point is highlighted, I've had lots of other thoughts on this but I've got other stuff to do. A good film/documentary to watch that highlights imaginary lives is 'Catfish' wiki link below. I found it very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfish_%28film%29

Goodbye from;

Middle-aged wife and mother
    Dog owner
    Toe-nail cutter
    Slightly more curvacious than she'd like to be
    Tends to ramble
    Often speaks/types before engaging brain
    Feeling not too bad today - a little tired
    Unfortunately still has a dead hamster in her freezer waiting to be buried
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Claireack wrote:
    Isn't this one of those things - if you don't like it don't use it? But at the same time don't slag off those that do.
    :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i went to a bar once after work with some friends. we took some pictures. they were put up on facebook.

one of the guys there, took the pictures from the album, made his own album of them. desrcribing them as hitting the bars after a tough day on the slopes. he then stole a bunch of my snowboarding pics, from a trip he wasnt on, put them up in the same album, talking about the powder and how great the day was.

fuckin phony. i confronted him about it, and he said, last i checked it wasnt illegal to take your pictures. no longer friends.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    My FB page is all pics of my cats, animal videos and complaints about being tired and work stressing me out. Same as on here. All part of my very fab life :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Claireack wrote:
    A good film/documentary to watch that highlights imaginary lives is 'Catfish' wiki link below. I found it very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfish_%28film%29

Yeah catfish was very good, but if you do plan to watch it don't read that wiki page, it contains massive spoilers.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • I agree with Claireack - it is definitely a shame and disturbing and upsetting to see some people make imaginary lives up. I've seen Catfish - the movie was good, won't say much else incase people have yet to see it.

However, I think that these extreme cases of people making up huge lives are exceptions and apart from those few, who are in the minority, Facebook has many uses etc.etc.

There are good and bad sides to everything - the same can be said for this board for instance. When people have the opportunity to hide behind a computer screen, without having to show their real identity and personality, there is so much space for fabrication and some people allow their imagination to run wild. I think it's normal for a few exaggerations here and there - in real life or "virtual-internet type of life" :lol: , but yes, sometimes it does go too far. And cases like people stealing others pictures - which is just plain creepy and disturbing, as well as things like the movie Catfish - they are disturbing and are real signs that something has to stop. However, like I said, those are extreme cases IMO and don't represent .. okay i'm rambling...i'll stop

To the OP - that's a cause for alarm for sure. When people feel the need to delete stuff off their facebook and set it to private to hide stuff from someone they are in a relationship with, I'd say there's something wrong.
  • What's up with that?

oooohhh...weeee - what's up with that?? What's up with that??
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Thoughts_Arrive is now on Pearl Jam forum with threefish10, pjfan31 and 31 other people.
    1 minutes ago Like Comment

Sweet, i got tagged in a pearl jam forum check in. I can see benefits to Facebook. I have some family(my brother and brother in law) and some close friends who live out of state, and its quick and easy to keep them up to date with shit that's been going on. Like for instance my brother and brother in law both haven't even met my youngest daughter, who is 8 weeks old, they have only seen photos of her on facebook.

But I don't get why people would "collect" friends and have thousands, I have like 70 and have trouble keeping up with all the posts on my news feed, I could only image how many people with thousands of friends have every time they log in. I often think the more Facebook friends you have the more desperate for attention you are. I limit it to people I have actually met in real life, I think I only have one or two who I haven't met but have had long associations with over many years through different mediums. And some of my close friends who i see regularly in real life ain't even my facebook friends, i see them all the time, there is no real point.

If I went to school with you over 10 years ago and we never even spoke at school I don't need you to be my Facebook friend. If I need to look at all your profile pics and still can't remember you we don't need to be fb friends. I have one Facebook friend(who I have met many times in real life through another band) who over uses the status update and maybe does at least 10 a day, but she's kinda old and lonely and seems to only have a cat to talk to in real life so I kinda feel sorry for her.

Yeah I agree.
    I only have 70 and even that is too many.
    I had one guy from high school send me a friend request, never spoke to him in HS, I accepted but he never said hi so I deleted him.
    Yeah I have one guy on mine who updates all the time.
    Goin gym
    Bored
    Just ate omg
    Hungry
    Just got maccas

:roll:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Had a turkey wrap for dinner..mmmm
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    Had a turkey wrap for dinner..mmmm

like.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Someone I went to primary school with sent me a friend request the other day and I accepted.
    She also became friends with other people from primary school at the same time.
    A day later she deleted me and the other people, wtf lol :?
    I think she just wanted to see what we all look like now after all these years :lol: :?
  • Claireack wrote:
    I've been thinking about this thread whilst cleaning the bathroom (there you go a little snap shot of my life).

Yes I think some people probably do have imaginary lives on fb, maybe even on here. It's a shame for them that they feel they have to have an imaginary life. I think I'm the same in here, on fb and in real face to face life. I don't know, I can't be objective about that - someone that knows me on both the internet and real life would have to say.

Personally I've met people on here then met them face to face and they're all pretty much how I imagined personality wise. Appearance wise they often are a little different to what was in my head, I have a tendancy to imagine people taller than they are, but heck that doesn't matter.

The only reason why i'm Facebook friends with you Claire is so I can see them cute pictures of Molly :D
    Claireack wrote:
    I have a tendancy to imagine people taller than they are,

i'm 27 inchs

that's 67.5 cm's for our metric friends.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I do the opposite. I try and dumb down my life through facebook. All my updates consist of 'doing the washing up now...', 'making a tofu and ketchup sandwhich nom nom nom.' but what I'm REALLY doing is making scientific breakthroughs, orgies, writing nobel prize winning novels and fighting crime. I just need somewhere to be unspectacular y'know?
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Someone I went to primary school with sent me a friend request the other day and I accepted.
    I think she just wanted to see what we all look like now after all these years :lol: :?

oh, if she only deleted you, I would think it would be because you like Pearl Jam :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:

oh, if she only deleted you, I would think it would be because you like Pearl Jam :)

She's just jealous! :P
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    The one thing I have noticed with facebook.....
    Especially with a lot of the people here on this board, who use facebook.....

They seem to use it as a world of make-believe...If that makes sense??

Everything is great...
    Everything is peachy
    Everything is going to be alright.....

And everyone strokes each other back and forth.....

Ya know what I mean???

Its just fucking weird...
    But to each their own.....

As opposed to how people interact with each other at the office, church, the supermarket, etc...?

At least with facebook you have control over things. I can't "hide" the people that annoy me in real life, or block them from seeing me... sadly!
    kenny olav wrote:
    The one thing I have noticed with facebook.....
    Especially with a lot of the people here on this board, who use facebook.....

They seem to use it as a world of make-believe...If that makes sense??

Everything is great...
    Everything is peachy
    Everything is going to be alright.....

And everyone strokes each other back and forth.....

Ya know what I mean???

Its just fucking weird...
    But to each their own.....

As opposed to how people interact with each other at the office, church, the supermarket, etc...?

At least with facebook you have control over things. I can't "hide" the people that annoy me in real life, or block them from seeing me... sadly!

It's funny how chicks post pictures of themselves and all the girls comment "oh u look so pretty" "stunner" "hot" lol, ego stroking!
    facebook won't let 81 or smoking baby sign up. what a rip
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392

It's funny how chicks post pictures of themselves and all the girls comment "oh u look so pretty" "stunner" "hot" lol, ego stroking!

I love how ugly chicks profile photo is always them with one or more of their better looking friends, so people don't know which one she is til they "friend" her or look through all her photos to figure out which one she is.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980

I love how ugly chicks profile photo is always them with one or more of their better looking friends, so people don't know which one she is til they "friend" her or look through all her photos to figure out which one she is.

:lol:
  • stipe19stipe19 Posts: 237
    The only thing on facebook I lie about is my phone number. I wouldn't put my real number on the internet, so I just put 867-5309
    damn jenny I have been calling you for years
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    edited June 2011
    or taking pics of yourself in a mirror with a slut shirt on while admiring your reflection
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,800
    The 81 wrote:
    I think Kat or Sea emailed them and said " if you want to save yourself a headache..." hehehehe
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    yea i don't respect some of my friends now because i know they are full of BS or simply delusional. it's sad and annoying at the same time..
    megatron wrote:
    yea i don't respect some of my friends now because i know they are full of BS or simply delusional. it's sad and annoying at the same time..

Yeah it is getting ridiculous.
    I see many people with 1000+ "friends".
    And that check-in thing is ridiculous.
    The "look at me" generation.
    mickeyrat wrote:
    The 81 wrote:
    I think Kat or Sea emailed them and said " if you want to save yourself a headache..." hehehehe
    :x :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg